lean bulk diet critique

blitzkriegjim

Awards
Hi all, I'm new to the site, been lifting on and off for over a year and wanting to get back into it and take things seriously since I'm going back to college next week and will be able to control my diet 100%. I'm sort of an ecto type body at 5'11" currently at 170 and 11%. I'm planning on following a routine that is 3 days a week, MWF, each session designed around bench, deadlifting, and squatting with supporting exercises that I'll change from time to time based on weak points in my lifts, etc.

Diet will look something like this, hope someone can help point me in the right direction:

meal 1 (waking) - 9 turkey sausage links, 1 cup green beans, glass of milk, 12 almonds

meal 2 (mid morning) - 8 oz chicken breast, 1 cup wild rice, .5 cup brocolli, glass of milk

meal 3 (early lunch) - 8 oz grouper (fish), 1 cup green beans, 12 almonds, glass of milk

meal 4 (early afternoon / around class time now) - .5 cup whole rolled oats, 2 tbsp natty pb, 1 scoop time release protein blend

pre workout - .75 cup whole rolled oats, get the BCAA's ready

post workout - 2 tbsp honey, 2 scoops whey protein, pasta

meal 5 (early evening) - 8 oz chicken breast, asparagus (not sure the measurement here), .25 cup sunflower seeds

meal 6 (before bed) - 1 glass milk mixed with 2 scoops time release protein blend

I will be supplementing as well with a multi, fish oil, flax oil and consume 2 gallons of water as well (which means using the bathroom after every class). Any feedback is more than welcome, I'm looking to put on some size over the winter but at the same time maintain some element of leanness and vascularity, so I want my diet to be spot on. Also, no cardio is planned as well besides my long treks to and from class. Thanks in advance for any help.

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
how many calories over maintenance are you planning on going?
how long are you bulking?

diet looks solid. the answers to the above questions will mostly determine if your bulk is lean or not.

blitzkriegjim

Awards
Looking to bulk for 10-12 weeks.....I keep a diet log on fitday and it comes out to be around 4000 calories in a day. I'm walking quite a few miles each day to and from class and my activity level is fairly high, so I would say I am about 500-700 calories over given I follow through 100% with the diet posted. On workout days I would probably end up being 200-300 over since classes and gym are closer.

To answer your question on how much over I should go, I guess this is where I need some guidance. I don't know my body well enough to know where my sweet spot would be for a lean bulk. I'm just trying to eat as clean as I can and hope this will encourage leaner gains. Diet is close to 40% protein, 40% fats, and 20% carbs.