Bulking with vegetables

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
I was wondering if anyone had any information or links on green foods that are good for bulking. I don't want to go all veggies, but I don't want to get sick of chicken, steak, and burger patties either.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Veggies shouldn't be instead of anything else in a bulk diet - they should be in addition to other foods. They provide the vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and other biochemicals that are fundamental to enhancing health.

So what veggies are good for bulking then? ALL of them! Get a good variety, have some at just about every meal (yes, all 6 or 7 or 8 of them) and change it up on a regular basis.

A good book for the basics of which veggies contain which beneficial substances is "The 150 Healthiest Foods" by Jonny Bowden. Good stuff, a standard reference in my house.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
I meant, what veggies have higher protein content? I know there has to be some because I've come across vegetarian and vegan body builders, so there must be a way, right?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Vegetable protein is not a complete source of protein and most do not count it towards their daily protein intake. You would have to consume pounds of veggies per day to get a decent amount of protein. Aim for at least 4 servings of produce a day even while bulking. I usually get at least 7 servings of produce a day.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
What about legumes? Are there any that are a complete source of protein? I've read that Quinoa is.

tattoopierced1

Quinoa is a great source of good carbs and fiber... I dont count veggies as protein either, as usually there is an insignificant amount per serving.

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
Legumes are awesome to eat along side a complete protein source. One of my favorite meals is to eat a can of kidney beans with a can of tuna, which provides a great source of carbs and proteins, and over 500 calories. You could even add a spoon full of PB somewhere in there. I could think of meals that would taste better, but it's quick, easy and cheap, so I like it.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
I don't want to go completely vegetarian or vegan, I'd just like to have some options other than steak.. and chicken. Lol. I do also have protein shakes, but I'm trying to go whole foods as much as possible.

tattoopierced1

I don't want to go completely vegetarian or vegan, I'd just like to have some options other than steak.. and chicken. Lol. I do also have protein shakes, but I'm trying to go whole foods as much as possible.
you left out fish.. great source of protein and omegas that arent chicken or beef...

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
I wish I wasn't such a picky eater. I blame it on my mother for spoiling me. I can't stomach fish let alone the smell. It's, for a lack of better words, yucky.

Usf97j4x4

Usf97j4x4

CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
Awards
  • Established
Not to mention your body requires a lot of energy just to break down most veggies