Another "How To" Bulk Thread

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
• Lift heavy or go home
Oh, you think "the pump" is going to build muscle? Think again. The only difference between strength athletes competing in a weight class and bodybuilders is the amount of calories they consume. But the basics remain the same: heavy squats, deadlifts, barbell press and chinups is whats going to force your body into growing.​

• A gallon of milk a day
Not skim but WHOLE milk. It has been recommended by Mark Rippetoe, and he has said it works 'better than steroids.' Now adays the milk probably has enough hormones in it that that statement is not too far off. I take a few scoops of muscle milk, mix it into half a gallon and drink it periodically throughout the day.

• A good multivitamin: Orange TRIad
Dare I call this product "The bulking multi"? It has digestive aid for the massive amounts of calories and milk being consumed, and also has joint support for your heavy loaded barbell. In all seriousness, you need adequate vitamins to process all the food and training your doing. Better not skimp and buy the drugstore brand. Pick a multi that was designed for bodybuilders.​

• Think Big
You have to think big with everything you do: lifting, eating and sleeping. I follow the "seefood" diet, when you see food, eat it. Lean bulks are all well and good but I'd rather get more calories than I need and put on a little bit of fat, rather than not eat enough and not grow as much. Dieting and cutting is for the summer time, allow yourself to eat when your bulking. I'm not saying go out for a big mac and wash it down with a milkshake. But when your a few years deep in the game, it's going to take alot of calories to add muscle onto an already 'muscled' frame. Eat big.​

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Dang dude. I'm gonna have to try a gallon of milk a day when it gets colder.

TruffleShuffle

Awards
  • Established
I'm lactose intolerant. You wouldn't want to be around me after a gallon of milk :gas: :dump:

TruffleShuffle

Awards
  • Established
never heard of lactaid, i havent tried soy milk either. I've just kinda got round the problem by basically not drinking milk. I use water in my shakes and only use a tiny drop when cooking my scrambled eggs.

The fact that soy (at least here in the UK) isn't displayed refrigerated has for some reason put me off. I really dont like cream in my milk, hence why i buy semi-skimmed. I think i just see these so milk cartons sitting on shelves and think "eww room teperature, must be all creamy"

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
TS, try looking for digestive enzymes containing Lactase.

Enzymedica makes one that I can think of off hand. I'm sure several other companies have similar products as well.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
1 gallon of 2% milk has:

128 g = protein
80 g = fat
2080 calories

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
1 gallon of 2% milk has:

128 g = protein
80 g = fat
2080 calories

hoho! I do about half a gallon a day. Think i'll try bump it up to a gallon for my winter bulk :)

JusSumMuscleGi

JusSumMuscleGi

Awards
If you drink a gallon of milk a day and you use a TON of your cals.. It's great for protein however if you add a few scoops of muscle milk, there goes 3k of your 3,500..

Be sure to not get fat if you're in the 150 - 185lb range.. You won't get much food if you follow that advice.

Of course, if you CAN use that percentage of daily cals on milk a day, I'm sure it would be good for your gains.

The larger among us can ignore my warnings

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Whats a good "bulking multi" vitamin?
• A good multivitamin: Orange TRIad
Dare I call this product "The bulking multi"? It has digestive aid for the massive amounts of calories and milk being consumed, and also has joint support for your heavy loaded barbell. In all seriousness, you need adequate vitamins to process all the food and training your doing. Better not skimp and buy the drugstore brand. Pick a multi that was designed for bodybuilders.

Marcinator

Marcinator

Awards
Thanks for the information......just out of curiousity here:

1. Is drinking THAT much milk really good for you? I mean, if I had to choose between lean cuts of meat, fish, poultry etc. AND milk...... or ..... just the milk, I think i would choose the whole food source. Avoid the excess sugars, get some whole food in me.

2. The multi - sounds like a good one....thanks, i hadn't heard about it.......is it really going to make a "noticeable" difference in our bulking though, as opposed to a standard multi from the store plus a good diet?

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the information......just out of curiousity here:

1. Is drinking THAT much milk really good for you? I mean, if I had to choose between lean cuts of meat, fish, poultry etc. AND milk...... or ..... just the milk, I think i would choose the whole food source. Avoid the excess sugars, get some whole food in me.

2. The multi - sounds like a good one....thanks, i hadn't heard about it.......is it really going to make a "noticeable" difference in our bulking though, as opposed to a standard multi from the store plus a good diet?
1. Squats and milk has been the failsafe way to add mass for years. You don't substitute whole foods for milk, but you drink alot more milk than you normally do. It's like adding protein shakes, but alot simpler.

2. As far as adding pounds - no. No multi will do that. But it helps with digestion, immune function and helps with joint function, because your going to be carrying more weight + lifting heavy compound movements. A noticeable change in body composition - probably not. But then again, we are bodybuilders. We need strong vitamins, and the drug store brands just don't cut it.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
im finding it hard to drink a gallon of water a day + half a gallon of milk :(

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
okay RR, i drank a half-gallon of milk between 7am and 12pm, im not feeling to well, i want to get it up to a gallon..

striking

striking

Awards
  • Established
HEHE out here all I got is UHT milk and let me tell you compared to regular or even skim it is lacking in taste!

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
lol thats sucks, i love the taste of milk :lol::food:

Marcinator

Marcinator

Awards
Ok, so is it bad that I don't drink ANY milk right now? I love milk, just cut it because of the sugars.... using protein with water, rest of my diet from whole foods.

Plus in "Pumping Iron" Arnold said he didn't drink milk because it was "for babies"...:think:

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
LMAO! yah thats because he has his own damn secret steroid supply lol no need for milk then jk

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
I recently started taking MVP365 from MST and I can tell you I feel better overall. Optimen did a good job too. Comparing a quality multi like MVP or Orange Triad to a basic vitamin isn't even competition. Like RR said they are designed for people who weight lift since it's extremely rough on the body.

Ok, so is it bad that I don't drink ANY milk right now? I love milk, just cut it because of the sugars.... using protein with water, rest of my diet from whole foods.

Plus in "Pumping Iron" Arnold said he didn't drink milk because it was "for babies"...:think:
I wouldn't cut out milk just because of the sugar. I'm pretty sure that the sugar in milk is lactase and it doesn't react in your body the same way dextrose or sucrose does. (Feel free to correct me but I think that's right.)

Yeah RR. I usually drink about 3 cups of whole milk a day but I tried upping it a little and after about 4-5 cups I felt rough. Better to work up to it? I just can't imagine drinking an entire gallon a day. Especially thinking how expensive that would get. A gallon is about 4 dollars. That's about $125 a month on milk alone! I love milk though...and if it works,I'm doing it!

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
The term "gallon" is pretty general, it's also alot for some people. I would drink as much as you can without getting sick or quitting your job. Do it for a month and I guarantee you will pack on muscle :D

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Arnold's a funny guy :) But I respect Mark Rippetoe just as much, and he plus many others have advocated increasing milk intake to gain muscle.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Brendan Gilliam, a trainer in the crossfit program, is rumored to have gained 28lbs in a month on the zone diet + 1 gallon of milk a day. I wouldn't call him fat either

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Brendan Gilliam, a trainer in the crossfit program, is rumored to have gained 28lbs in a month on the zone diet + 1 gallon of milk a day. I wouldn't call him fat either

Not possible unless maybe he starved himself for 6 months so he could intentionally add it all back very quickly and claim greatness.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Not possible unless maybe he starved himself for 6 months so he could intentionally add it all back very quickly and claim greatness.
I respect your opinion, but there's not many people around who can really do the 1 gallon per day and stick to it for any length of time. Perhaps it does work that well ;)

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Milk is definitely one of the easiest tools to use if you want to add size. At my biggest I was drinking 1-1.5 gallons of milk (it was skim though). Never tried the whole milk route.

I think if your a hardgainer then this is something you should look into. But if not is probably not absolutely necessary.

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
1 gal of milk + 1 gal of water = lots of time in the bathroom.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I wouldn't cut out milk just because of the sugar. I'm pretty sure that the sugar in milk is lactase and it doesn't react in your body the same way dextrose or sucrose does. (Feel free to correct me but I think that's right.)it!
Yeah, milk sugar is lactose, which is a glucose bound to a galactose - it is pretty low glycemically, as it takes the body a fair amount of time to process that particular disaccharide.

Also, RR, I friggin' love your bulking threads - Their like everything I ever tell people about gaining size in a nutshell. Well done.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Also, RR, I friggin' love your bulking threads - Their like everything I ever tell people about gaining size in a nutshell. Well done.
Thank you sir! :clean:

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
i could easy do a gallon of milk a day, but then i'd have no time to drink a gallon of water :(

if i didn't have a fulltime job i'd give it a try. Doing half a gallon a day at the moment, easy way to add some cals on :)

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, milk sugar is lactose, which is a glucose bound to a galactose - it is pretty low glycemically, as it takes the body a fair amount of time to process that particular disaccharide.
Ah yes,lactose. That is some good info! Thanks

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
i also like your bulking thread RR. i may switch over vitamins to triad. i'm currently on AST multi-pro, and its the only vitamin i can "feel". of course, the only other vitamins i've ever done were "one a day" which i couldn't tell anything from, and flinstones, which taste great....

have you ever tried AST multi-pro, and would you recommend triad over it? thanks in advance brotha.

i also did a bulking thread, but like a schmuck i put it in the training forum. in retrospect it was probably better since most newbies ask bulking questions in the training forum anyways.

funny thing about gaining mass is its all about what your body can handle. whole milk will make some people fat. me, i can't get enough of it - i used to drink 1 liter of 1/2 and 1/2 a day, and i never broke 11% bf. i think the milk idea is great, because its all about nutrient timing, and drinking protein thats slow digesting throughout the day is great advice for anyone. for similar reasons i've always been an advocate for two things -
1: string cheese, which like milk has casein, and also cholesterol (easily transportable too)
2: peanut butter for the mono fat and protein.

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/99607-gaining-mass-nutshell.html

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
i also like your bulking thread RR. i may switch over vitamins to triad. i'm currently on AST multi-pro, and its the only vitamin i can "feel". of course, the only other vitamins i've ever done were "one a day" which i couldn't tell anything from, and flinstones, which taste great....

have you ever tried AST multi-pro, and would you recommend triad over it? thanks in advance brotha.

i also did a bulking thread, but like a schmuck i put it in the training forum. in retrospect it was probably better since most newbies ask bulking questions in the training forum anyways.

funny thing about gaining mass is its all about what your body can handle. whole milk will make some people fat. me, i can't get enough of it - i used to drink 1 liter of 1/2 and 1/2 a day, and i never broke 11% bf. i think the milk idea is great, because its all about nutrient timing, and drinking protein thats slow digesting throughout the day is great advice for anyone. for similar reasons i've always been an advocate for two things -
1: string cheese, which like milk has casein, and also cholesterol (easily transportable too)

Great post!!! Thank you! I can't say I've tried AST vits before. Wow 1/2 and 1/2??? i've never thought of doing that :D

TNASTYII

TNASTYII

Awards
  • Established

i use to drink a little half and half on the anabolic diet haha i love it too, just straight up mmm

MotionSickness

MotionSickness

Awards
I'm lactose intolerant. You wouldn't want to be around me after a gallon of milk :gas: :dump:
I'm terribly intolerant to Milk, especially Whole Milk. A glass of it used to have me on the toilet all night! I take CVS Brand "Lactase" pills before I consume Milk now, and I'm not bothered by Lactose at all anymore. Might be worth a shot!

bmur

Awards
i did that whole gallon on milk..if i remember correctly it was 2%. I gained some size but also noticed way too much fat gain. But it did get me to my heaviest.

Im about to bulk it up again...almost healed from my surgery..im going to drink 1/2 gallon 1% i think

lightweight57

Awards
yea i got alot from this thread starting to drink lots of milk