Abs

johnegq22

johnegq22

Awards
Can anyone gimme some advice for a sick ab workout. I am trying to get rid of love handles too. Point me in the right direction. I am trying to bulk up. Should I not worry about my love handles and lower abs, as much, until I decide to cut.

Any thoughts?

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
i would recommend focusing on big compound moves (squats, deads, standing presses, olympic lifts, etc.).
it's all the ab work you need imo.

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
i would recommend focusing on big compound moves (squats, deads, standing presses, olympic lifts, etc.).
What about weighted ab exercises..

Cable Crunches
Jacknives (with plates)
Incline/Decline Crunches
Oblique Crunches
Oblique Twists (i think?)

I do the core lifts but my abs haven't changed much since doing them (for over 2 years)

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
I am trying to get rid of love handles too. Point me in the right direction. I am trying to bulk up. Should I not worry about my love handles and lower abs, as much, until I decide to cut.

Any thoughts?
What was you goal again, bulking or cutting...?

Getting Rid of Love Handles Sick Ab Workout
1. Stay out of kitchen.
2. Stay on cardio machine.
3. Go to #1

Bulking routine
1. Perform heavy componund lifts
2. Eat excess Kcals, especially quality protein and EFAs
3. Get sufficient recovery and sleep
4. Go to #1

Usf97j4x4

Usf97j4x4

CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
Awards
  • Established
Ding ding ding. This is 100% true. Building a strong core is key.

I never train abs directly anymore.

Also look into Jimmy Tango's Fatbusters diet... you basically ingest gobs of methamphetamines while wearing a vibrating heated bead suit.

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
What about weighted ab exercises..
depends on your goals. for sports training, i believe core specific work is necessary.

for asthetic body building goals i believe it's unnecessary.
for these goals compound movements are plenty of ab work.
and if you want the cut abs look it's time to focus your energy on diet not weighted crunches imo.

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
What percent bodyfat are you presently at?
In my arms, shoulders, back, and legs I would say 11%

But my abs, olbiques, and chest and lower back around 12-13%.

I am lean in some parts but not so good looking in others.

That 'breakdown' may sound odd but theres no way I am 13% BF in my arms. My ab fat / arm fat is not comparable

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
depends on your goals. for sports training, i believe core specific work is necessary.

for asthetic body building goals i believe it's unnecessary.
for these goals compound movements are plenty of ab work.
and if you want the cut abs look it's time to focus your energy on diet not weighted crunches imo.
Are you saying bodybuilders don't work their abs?

Also, wouldn't you say Diet + Cardio will show the abs. You have to do some type of ab exericse if you want bigger, more defined abs right?

OR

Should I focus on this: (BTW, i'm trying to get abs too)

- slight calorie deficit with a 60-20-20 ratio (just a suggestion)
- heavy core lifts
- "burn more than I eat" concept

Please don't take this as an agruement, I'm just happy I can finally discuss this topic with someone.

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
Are you saying bodybuilders don't work their abs?
all bodybuilders work their abs.
but many bodybuilders do not do ab specific excercises as it is unnecessary, given the huge workload of other lifts they perform, and some believe it builds a thicker waist.

Also, wouldn't you say Diet + Cardio will show the abs.
cardio is not necessary to get lean enough to show abs, however a calorie deficit is mandatory.
if cardio helps produce a calorie deficit, then go for it.
however, there are several studies showing too much cardio to be detrimental to bodybuilding goals (catabolic).

You have to do some type of ab exericse if you want bigger, more defined abs right?
yes. i'm just saying i believe if you do big compound moves it is enough ab work to have a nicly developed 6-pack.
if you only do bicep curls then, yes, some focused ab work would be needed to get developed abs.

Please don't take this as an agruement, I'm just happy I can finally discuss this topic with someone.
i enjoy the discussion. :)

Last edited:
RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
I see all your points and it does make sesne to me.

I do, however, need to work my abs for baseball becuase being a baseball player (physically) is all about a strong core (among other things)

I appreciate your help Hank. Reps for the great insight.

Usf97j4x4

Usf97j4x4

CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
Awards
  • Established
all bodybuilders work their abs.
but many bodybuilders do not do ab specific excercises as it is unnecessary, given the huge workload of other lifts they perform, and some believe it builds a thicker waist.

cardio is not necessary to get lean enough to show abs, however a calorie deficit is mandatory.
if cardio helps produce a calorie deficit, then go for it.
however, there is several studies showing too much cardio to be detrimental to bodybuilding goals (catabolic).

yes. i'm just saying i believe if you do big compound moves it is enough ab work to have a nicly developed 6-pack.
if you only do bicep curls then, yes some focused ab work would be needed to get developed abs.

i enjoy the discussion. :)
Hank is correct here. I agree that cardio is not necessary provided you modify your training to include some high rep days and your diet is dead on. If you maintain a caloric deficit you WILL drop bodyfat.

As regards to compound moves... the majority of them utilize the abdominal and oblique muscles as antagonistic stabilizers.

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
In my arms, shoulders, back, and legs I would say 11%

But my abs, olbiques, and chest and lower back around 12-13%.

I am lean in some parts but not so good looking in others.

That 'breakdown' may sound odd but theres no way I am 13% BF in my arms. My ab fat / arm fat is not comparable
Yep, BF generally comes off from the extremeties first and makes its way to the mid-section as it is reduced. For me, I see good stirations in my delts and chest as well as seperation in the quads and delts before my upper abs begin to show much definition.

You need to continue to reduce BF rather than work your abs more. They are there, just not showing yet.

I agree that diet is paramount, but lowering Kcals too far can cause hormonal related issue that may make continued BF reduction difficult. You still need a higher energy deficit which can be achieved through a combinination of diet and cardio.

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
Yep, BF generally comes off from the extremeties first and makes its way to the mid-section as it is reduced. For me, I see good stirations in my delts and chest as well as seperation in the quads and delts before my upper abs begin to show much definition.

You need to continue to reduce BF rather than work your abs more. They are there, just not showing yet.

I agree that diet is paramount, but lowering Kcals too far can cause hormonal related issue that may make continued BF reduction difficult. You still need a higher energy deficit which can be achieved through a combinination of diet and cardio.

I know my BF needs to be reduced. Doing crunches doesn't solve it. I've known that for quite a while. And yea I could never lower my calories to that level that causes cortisol to rise anway becuase I love eating all the time (maybe to much junk food though).

If I reduced my bf as low as it needs to be to see my abs though, I would weigh around 145lbs. Sure I'd be shredded, but I would be tiny. Id rather keep recomping and weigh 170lbs with slight ab visibility in 6 months, than weigh 145 with shredded abs in 3 months.

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
I know my BF needs to be reduced. Doing crunches doesn't solve it. I've known that for quite a while. And yea I could never lower my calories to that level that causes cortisol to rise anway becuase I love eating all the time (maybe to much junk food though).

If I reduced my bf as low as it needs to be to see my abs though, I would weigh around 145lbs. Sure I'd be shredded, but I would be tiny. Id rather keep recomping and weigh 170lbs with slight ab visibility in 6 months, than weigh 145 with shredded abs in 3 months.
So you think that if you recomp and continue to work your abs, but your BF at your midsection remains 13%, that your abs will be visible because they're more massive?

I know my BF needs to be reduced.
If I reduced my bf as low as it needs to be to see my abs though,.
Can't have it both ways. So you seem to be saying "I need to add more LBM before I'm willing to diet down to levels that my abs will show." If so, why are you even worring about your abs and focus on gaining more muscle now and dieting down later?

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Abs are important do them at least once a week. remember when your having sex you really dont need to do them because this works them. Working abs does increase deadlift. after you build so much ab muscle you might not need to do them anymore but intill than yeah. and you might want to still work them also many exercises work them

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
sex works your back, hips, arms and thighs much more than your abs.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
try doing the wave for two minutes that'll work the &*() outta your abs

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
tricep pull-down usually kicks the crap into my abs :(

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
The Wave?
are you ready to take the journey?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoSHh_zF4eo"]YouTube - The Wave of Love[/ame]

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
So you think that if you recomp and continue to work your abs, but your BF at your midsection remains 13%, that your abs will be visible because they're more massive?
No. I said recomp. That means gain muscle and lose fat; it just takes a lot longer.

Can't have it both ways. So you seem to be saying "I need to add more LBM before I'm willing to diet down to levels that my abs will show." If so, why are you even worring about your abs and focus on gaining more muscle now and dieting down later?
Actually it is possible.

johnegq22

johnegq22

Awards
OK,

All this info is great, but...

I'm in a bulking stage. Should I worry about my love handles? From my pic at the left, you can see what my problem is. Should I not even focus on them until I start cutting? I have no plans on cutting until after the new year, so...?

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
OK,

I'm in a bulking stage. Should I worry about my love handles? From my pic at the left, you can see what my problem is. Should I not even focus on them until I start cutting? I have no plans on cutting until after the new year, so...?
I'd just carry on as normal, thats what i normally do. Then cut like hell for summer :D

Just remember the line " not with the lights on hunnie! i'm bulking!" :bb3:

blitzkriegjim

Awards
OK,

If you're bulking, you're bulking......

I wouldnt worry about the love handles unless they really bother you. That's my biggest problem during a bulk is carrying around the excess bf, so I totally understand if it gets to you. If you want to lean out a bit, look into carb cycling or something....I've done well with that. I was able to stay at the same bodyweight, but increased LBM and dropped bf...... and then continued to bulk.

Gmadd

Awards
Any "love handle specific" exercises?

I have abs that show and a low BF% something like 8%. However my body structure allows for fat buildup in this region.

I would like to avoid excessive cardio as my main goal is lean muscle mass. Any suggestions would be great.

iDShaDoW

Awards
You can't spot reduce bodyfat. (Edit: meant to say you can't spot reduce bodyfat with exercises that specific target bodyparts.)

You'll have to lower bodyfat overall to get rid of the fat around your love handles.

I know I saw in another post some guy mentioned trying a cream that he rubbed into his moobs to combat the gynecomastia. Not sure how that worked for him or if it's something you can get over the counter.

Gmadd

Awards
Thanks fellas, I will do some research on the topicals. Im prob just being too picky about that bit of extra fat.

Along with the comment for gyno, I know this topic is beaten to death on this and many other forums. I bought liquid nolvadex from a site. A few months later I am noticing a bit of swelling/ lump below my left nip. If anyone has a preferred product could you PM me with it?

Thanks again.

(The nolva was for a superdrol cycle that i ran for 3 weeks. PCT was Nolva and Tribulus with Cycle Support) It has been 2/3 months since PCT

iDShaDoW

Awards
I feel ya, I got some paranoia goin on myself that I got some gyno goin on but I think it's just to me being a lazy ass again and consuming fast food, chips, and candy.

Gmadd

Awards
Im paranoid because I knew someone who got it bad. But if you can think of any preventative measures PM me. I just hope my nolva wasnt bunk!