Need to gain lean mass.. need more calories

bigCountry000

Awards
Alrighty, i am trying to get in the calories i need but don't think i'm doing a very great job at it...

Breakfast--i eat 7 eagg whites and one whole egg.. bowl of oatmeal with bananas and glass of milk and protein drink

Snack-- some type of fruit

Lunch-- anything fom a steak or a sandwhich and tuna

Snack-- Some peanut butter on wheat bread

Dinner-- Either some type of wheat pasta or lately i've been eating a steak with salad and vegtables and baked potato

Snack before bed-- protein drink

Ok guys i know i'm eating, just not enough... i need some more ideas for my smaller meals "snacks".. and more ideas on somewhat clean foods to get in the calories... i would appreciate anything...

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
When you have your eggs eat them whole.

Also for snacks, almonds are good if your on the go to munch on.

casein shake before bed goes come a treat, stops me waking up hungry in the morning.

Also get some home-made shakes on the go. easy 700 cals in one . Have a seach around the nutrition forum for recipes :)

bigCountry000

Awards
thanks man... by the way what is casein??

Usf97j4x4

Usf97j4x4

CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
Awards
  • Established
thanks man... by the way what is casein??
It is a slower-release protein. Personally, I just mix whey with skim milk at night and it keeps me from waking up hungry.

If you are looking to add calories increasing your EFAs might help... natural PB is your friend.

bigCountry000

Awards
ah nice thanks... so what should i do about snacks?? is peanut butter and fruits? and should a be eating more???

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
what i usually recommend is:
1 - peanut butter (1 tbsp every hour you're not eating a real meal) or
2 - string cheese (taken the same way)

either way, its 80 calories an hour when you're not eating a real meal (12x a day) so an easy 1k calories added. remember its not just about how much you eat, but constantly keeping your body with a fresh stream of nutrients.

bigCountry000

Awards
ah yes true.. thanks sun.. so for my major meal though, am i eating enough?? should i be eating different things or just more of what i am already eating?

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
can't seem to find how much you're taking in portion wise. but if you're not growing from it, its not enough for you. i'd add in the egg yolks to your breakfast (good cholesterol increases testosterone), and do either or both of the peanut butter and string cheese, and see what happens. if 1k extra calories doesn't help you gain in a week, nothing will. also, make sure you're doing pre workout carbs + protein, as well as post workout carbs + protein. trust me on this.

there's some studies that have said that the pre workout shake is more important than post workout. the proof is that the carbs pre workout keep you fueled throughout your workout, and the added protein makes sure your body isn't scavenging amino's from the muscles worked. so add it to pre, add it to post, and you can't possibly go wrong. here's the link on that:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/weight-loss/4948-pre-workout-more.html

KgTomCat

KgTomCat

Awards
  • Established
this is wut I do every now and then...
8-12 oz of 2% milk- 200 cal 8g protein
1/2 cup of dry oatmeal- 150 cal 5g protein
2 scoops whey-300 cal 50g protein
2 tbsp all natty PB- 200 cal 8g protein
900 cal 70g protein...rough estimates on figures, but tastes great

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Somebody said it above, but eat whole eggs! Better nutrition, and if you do some actual research, you will find that the cholesterol in eggs is incapable of harming you and will actually benefit your hormonal profile.

For your snacks - throw in lots of nuts, beef jerky, cheese, anything that is calorie dense and transports well. ALso, every meal should contain a good source of protein - at least 20g and that's a bare minimum.

Your 6'5", an inch taller than me and we weigh the same amount. Now, your BF% will play a part, but you should be eating ~4000cals (more or less depending on activity) as a starting point. We're big - we need to eat bigger.

Some other incredibly healthy ways to add cals - olive oil, coconut, whole milk, organic heavy cream or butter, whole yoghurt. And buttloads of just about any and every veggie you can cram into your mouth! Lettuce doesn't count. :)

Hope this helps, and welcome to AM

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
I would recommend using the diet tracker here on AM. It's hard for me to gain. A few months ago I tracked what I ate on an average day and it was somewhere around 2,500,not nearly enough. I finally worked up to around 4500. I love doing this every once and a while because I can see how my macro ratio's are and just to make sure I'm eating enough. Sometimes I feel like I'm eating everything in site but if you're not getting those calories,you wont gain weight.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
dirty up your diet - as the others mentioned, dont be afraid of (good) fat - whole eggs are a must.

Here's a recipe to get you calories up:

4 whole eggs
1 scoop of whey
1 cup oats
1 med banana
Some blueberries
250ml full-cream milk
Ice cubes

Approx. 1,000cal and delicious!

Made in the morning and put onto a thermos - I split this into 3 for my 1100, 1530 and 1700 meals.

Eat like Godzilla - don't be afraid of a little extra mud - that's what cuttings for - good luck!

bigCountry000

Awards
so you make that and split it as your three smaller meals during the day??.. i like it would it be bad to make two of those a day?? i start swimming this week for the school team and will be burning twice as many calories.. what do you think??

Domenic

Domenic

Awards
  • Established
Olive oil is your friend. Add a coupla' tablespoons to each shake (you think this'd be gross, but I can't personally taste the olive oil... it just ads a nice creaminess to the shake) and watch the calories add up.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Olive oil is your friend. Add a coupla' tablespoons to each shake (you think this'd be gross, but I can't personally taste the olive oil... it just ads a nice creaminess to the shake) and watch the calories add up.
Tried this the other day,I thought it would be gross but I couldn't even taste it.

bigCountry000

Awards
yeah man i definately need to find something for myself... i'm about to be changing everything up and burning a crap load of calories... lol

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
so you make that and split it as your three smaller meals during the day??.. i like it would it be bad to make two of those a day?? i start swimming this week for the school team and will be burning twice as many calories.. what do you think??
Definately if you're swimming - have you checked out Phelp's diet? I used to be an open water distance swimmer myself back in the day.

As mentioned, some olive oil wouldn't hurt, or try substituting some of the milk for cream.

bigCountry000

Awards
ah sweet phelp's diet.. would i just go to youtube for thast or something??

bigCountry000

Awards
pretty intense diet that is... lol but yeah i appreciate all of the info for shakes etc.. keep them coming if you don't mind i really wouldn't mind having some "mud" ha... it's easy for me to cut... i'm young it's easy for me to lose weight with the snap of a finger..

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
ok i see three meals and three snacks...first work on making them all meals!!! its hard but even if can get five in you're gonna see big changes!

bowl of oatmeal with bananas and glass of milk and protein drink
i like to do this even before i eat breakfast making about 800cal shake from oats fruit and protein. blend your oats...think about it, one cup cooked is like 6 cups dry. blend it so you can get more down.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
ok i see three meals and three snacks...first work on making them all meals!!! its hard but even if can get five in you're gonna see big changes!

i like to do this even before i eat breakfast making about 800cal shake from oats fruit and protein. blend your oats...think about it, one cup cooked is like 6 cups dry. blend it so you can get more down.
:goodpost:

Eat like f8cking Godzilla!:head:

bigCountry000

Awards
lol sweet so a cup of oatmeal, fruit, and protein... i love the sound of that man... once again appreciate it...

...my new saying.. eat like godzilla.. thanks jackellpet ha

dragonfly

dragonfly

Awards
  • Established
The type of snacks you've been having are for cardio queens, not for people trying to gain lean mass:

"some type of fruit" = carbs
"bread+peanut butter" = carbs+fat

Protein is what builds muscle, every meal, be it a snack or a proper meal should contain some form of protein
Best sources of lean protein: whole eggs, lean beef, other types of red meats (kangaroo, bison, etc), fish, skinless chicken breast, low fat cheese....I'm sure you know all that ... protein powder shakes are good for convenience and after workouts but don't rely too much on them. In terms of anabolic responses, nothing replaces real food.
As everyone else mentioned, good fats are your friend :thumbsup:

iamgreat187

iamgreat187

Awards
i also find it hard to put in all those cals.i like to eat cottage cheese at night as nasty as it is i mix it with pinnaple.i found that if you eat enough protein up in like the 400gram mark you dont really have to worry about everything else but i know you body can only use up so much protein but if you working at to your max potental your body will utilise it and youll grow.better to get protein thru food than protein shakes but dont get me wrong those are usefull too.

iamgreat187

iamgreat187

Awards
aslo be sure to get in EFA, they will help so much to keep your test levels healthy and steady

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
lol sweet so a cup of oatmeal, fruit, and protein... i love the sound of that man... once again appreciate it...

...my new saying.. eat like godzilla.. thanks jackellpet ha
No worries mate.

Hey, another 'trick' I use is making up bulk chilli con carne. Say about 3kg worth (10lbs), a freeze portions into containers to eat when required.

1.5kg lean ground beef (or Bison would be better, or us DownUnder lifters use Kangaroo)
2 tins of tomato
1 tin of tomato paste
2 tins of kidney beans
Squirt of olive oil
A lifetime's supply of garlic (crushed)
2 chopped onions
3 cups of brown or wild rice
As much chili as you can handle

After browning the ground meat in a BAP (Big Arse Pot), I just throw it all in together and let it bubble away for a hour - you may need to add in an extra cup or two of water for the rice to absorb.

Serve with some sour cream to get the calories up, and maybe nuke some broccoli to get in extra veges.

Can't say what the breakdown is, but it's all in there for growth!

dragonfly

dragonfly

Awards
  • Established
This thread suddenly got me hungry :pizza: :food:

bigCountry000

Awards
nice guys this is all great.. one question.. EFA sorry not familiar with what that means.. and thanks again guys appreciate it all... i tried the protein shake with 1 cup of oatmeal and a banana and protein powder this morning with my eat not bad at all.... thanks guys keep it coming....

iamgreat187

iamgreat187

Awards
EFAs are essentail fatty acids and they are what keeps you test levels healthy and steady.a must in any bodybuilding diet.i take flaxseed oil plus some supps are better taken with one since they are lipophillic bterrer obsorbed thru the fat tissues.