lose protein in cooking?

gambino

Awards
Recently i had a discussion with my trainer partner about cooking.....he says when you cooking chicken or beef you lose a lot of protein,i dont agree cause i think you only lose protein and minerals because the only thing you lose is water,in this case,for my,you never lose protein,you concetrate the protein.....his argument is very simple,he says the pros in their training videos wheight it after cooking,but 10 oz of cooking beef is much more than ,10 oz of raw beef,and i supossed the rate of 23 gr of protein in 100 gr is in raw,cause is easier to calculate than cooking beef ,because you never make 2 equual filets....what do you think?

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
From what I’ve read the more you cook something the more the nutritional values are effected. I could be totally wrong, I don’t have anything to back up what I say either.

Depending on the way you cook your food aswell may come into play. I’m not sure really

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
As far as I know,you can't loose protein. That's ridiculous. I'm not really sure what the problem is though. Raw chicken has about 6 grams of protein per ounce. Cooked chicken has about 9 per ounce. Weigh accordingly. Even if you do loose protein when you cook it I don't think eating a raw chicken breast is really an option.

I'm not sure if the nutritional values of meat are affected. I do know that boiling veggies hurts the nutritional value but other than that not sure.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just ridiculous. I can see an argument of denaturing protien with the heat, but you still get protien, regardless. Tell your friend to go eat himself a couple raw chickens, and see how is muscles are looking after salmonella takes hold.

Adams

gambino

Awards
JAJAJAJAJAJAJAJA, thanks for your reply, now i resend a mail with this page,but,i dont think he changes his concepts,maybe jay or ronni are guilty to weight the chicken after cooking in their videos:fart:

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
Nothing here for me to do, so I'll bid y'all a good-day

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nothing here for me to do, so I'll bid y'all a good-day
That is unacceptable. :lol:

I wonder if I am 5'9" before standing?

Is the Pope Catholic?

Does a bear sh1t in the woods?

What temperature is room temperature?

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
i was wondering that as well.

When i make my chx/ rice batches up, I pressure cook my chicken. It shreds real nice and makes chicken and rice easier to eat.

Am i losing valuable protein this way?

I understand overcooking with ground derived foods.

I always thought, animal protein was just that, animal protein. You cant kill it, so to speak.

manicstudio

Awards
i ponder about this aswell, but then i realized that the fibers/strands of the meat is the protein makeup...am im right?? just as a fingernail is a protein makeup, now if the meat start falling apart and floating in the pan then thats the only way i see u "losing" protein

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
JAJAJAJAJAJAJAJA, thanks for your reply, now i resend a mail with this page,but,i dont think he changes his concepts,maybe jay or ronni are guilty to weight the chicken after cooking in their videos:fart:
Maybe they are but it doesn't matter. If I weigh a raw chicken breast and it weighs 8oz. then it has about 48g protein. If I weigh a cooked breast that is 5 oz. then it has about 45g protein.

If he seriously thinks that protein "goes away" then he's an idiot. Cooked chicken contains more protein per ounce because it looses moisture. This is not rocket science.

gambino

Awards
yeah, i think the same,in this case the only nutrient you lose is water and with this,you comcentrate much more the same amont of protein....

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
the only time this makes sense (and i am not sure it works this way) is when you try to char something. i am pretty sure that kind of heat will denature the protein - but i am guessing on this. the only way a nutrient can "disappear" is if it was carbonized i think.

other than that, i don't think its really something to worry about.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
You're not serious,right? You don't loose protein in cooking,that's dumb.
Of course im not serious. However, If you overcook things you can certainly lose some of the nutritional value.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I eat my eggs raw - no substitute for raw eggs (in a shake)

I eat my red meat rare - that's nearly raw. Not chicken for obvious reasons.

Also, I did hear about heating whey protein denatures it.

found this:

Solubility and Heat Stability of Whey Protein Concentrates
J. Hidalgo and Emma Gamper
Research Department, Nestle Products Technical Assistance Co. Ltd., Case Postale 1009 CH-1001 Lausanne, Switzerland

ABSTRACT

Rennet whey protein concentrates have excellent nutritional properties, but their use in fluid food systems is impaired by the poor heat stability of the protein. Heating whey protein concentrated solutions at neutral pH caused up to 70% loses in solubility. In the absence of added calcium, protein coagulation occurred near the iso-electric zone whereas in the presence of .03 M calcium chloride, similar protein coagulation occurred in the whole pH range (p11 2 to pH 12). Tryptic hydrolysis of the protein increased the heat stability of whey protein concentrates considerably.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
I eat my eggs raw - no substitute for raw eggs (in a shake)

I eat my red meat rare - that's nearly raw. Not chicken for obvious reasons.

Also, I did hear about heating whey protein denatures it.

found this:
Raw eggs in a shake are great. I make sure to get eggs that are pasteurized so there is no chance of salmonella. Red meat rare...except ground beef. That's interesting about whey...