first show

Hollidae

Banned
Awards
I want to do a show at 198 or 200 plus. late (sep-nov)2008, how do i go about find a show? a few people told me there are shows in my time frame, but those shows are npc. I belive that npc is for the guys that have ben competing foryears. this will be my first show.. where do i look.. my plan was to keep bulking july and cut for 12 weeks..

next question is what should i bulk to get to 200 contest...I dont store fat easy, so cutting is will easy

im 5'11

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
I want to do a show at 198 or 200 plus. late (sep-nov)2008, how do i go about find a show? a few people told me there are shows in my time frame, but those shows are npc. I belive that npc is for the guys that have ben competing foryears. this will be my first show.. where do i look.. my plan was to keep bulking july and cut for 12 weeks..

next question is what should i bulk to get to 200 contest...I dont store fat easy, so cutting is will easy

im 5'11
I don't know where to start, but, here goes.

You shouldn't pick a competition weight until you determine where you are now. How old are you? How much do you weigh? What is your body fat %? Are you a natural athlete (no steroids, HGH, TRT, Andros, etc)? Where do you live? There are many drug-free-tested shows around the country scheduled throughout the year. You really can't determine yet how much time it will take to cut for your contest. Cutting may be easy for you, but cutting for a contest is something else. In order to be competitive at any weight, you have to be hard, lean, cut and vascular. And you have to show great symmetry and muscularity. What's your diet like? What's your training regimen? Lots of questions need answers before you are ready to begin prepping for your first show.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
The NPC is not only for people who have been competing for years. My first show was an NPC show.

Hollidae

Banned
Awards
age-25
h-5'11
w-196-198
bf-12-14% i have abs when flexed
NJ, 45 mins from newark aiport
i work out 4-5 days a week
im planing my 1st halo run

Hollidae

Banned
Awards
The NPC is not only for people who have been competing for years. My first show was an NPC show.
i dont wanta step on a stage with a guy who about to turn pro,, i see alot of npc shows are pro qualiers

Hollidae

Banned
Awards
this might be a ego thing, but i want 1st show to local, so al my freinds can come

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
i dont wanta step on a stage with a guy who about to turn pro,, i see alot of npc shows are pro qualiers
You would have to be competing in a National show to be onstage with guys earning their pro cards. You have to do well in a National Qualifier before you can even get to that point.

Hollidae

Banned
Awards
1- what do u guys think i should bulk to, since im lean and i do store fat easy
2- where do i look for local NJ/philly shows?

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I don't like picking a certain weight to hit. Put on as much muscle as you can and then decide when you think you need to start dieting. I didn't diet to a certain weight, I just dieted by the mirror, so to speak. I didn't care what my weight was, as long as I looked my best when it was game time.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
1- what do u guys think i should bulk to, since im lean and i do store fat easy
2- where do i look for local NJ/philly shows?[/QUOTE

Post some photos of where you are now. No one can tell you what to bulk to unless we see where you are today.

You bulk to add size and then diet down, hoping to keep as much muscle as possible while losing enough body fat to make you competitive. It's impossible to determine where you should go and for how long, until we see where you are.

Stop thinking about going against future pros. Everyone who steps onto a stage wants to win his class and the overall. As was said in the above post, NPC shows are just a stepping stone to the Junior Nationals and Nationals, which do lead to Pro Cards.

You can expect to go against top athletes in the NPC or tested federations, which also have pro opportunities. I have competed in six NPC shows and 20 tested events. I have won in both types. I am the 2007 NPC Mr. Alabama Masters Champion (my final amateur show) and I am also the 2007 FAME North American Grand Master Pro champion.

If you want your friends and family to see you on stage, that's great. Just make sure you are in the best shape of your life when you do it in front of your family.

There are several shows in your area. When you have a more solid plan in mind for your contest prep, I would be glad to help you find the right venue.

You also have to think about posing, posing routine, grooming and contest prep dieting, while you are still lifting heavy.

Go to my web site: Body Building Senior.com and look in my articles for a story I wrote called: Training for Your First Competition at Any Age. It will give you lots of information that you will find useful.

Last edited:

Hollidae

Banned
Awards
Thank u fame. I agree with what ur sayingn but at the same time I want to be big.I have posted pics of myself a few weeks ago. I can't post the link bc I am on my freinds blackberry but I will when I'm home or u can search for my posts. I think I would look good at 200 contest. What did u mean by grooming. Do u have myspace?

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Thank u fame. I agree with what ur sayingn but at the same time I want to be big.I have posted pics of myself a few weeks ago. I can't post the link bc I am on my freinds blackberry but I will when I'm home or u can search for my posts. I think I would look good at 200 contest. What did u mean by grooming. Do u have myspace?
I'm not arguing with you, Man, but what you weigh is not the issue. What you look like is all that matters. I have seen hard, cut, lean men take on and beat guys that outweighed them by 50 pounds. You think you need to be 200 pounds. If you can achieve 4% body fat at 200 pounds, you will be awesome. If you are trying to gain weight to be 200 pounds, you have given yourself an impossible task. You are already at 198 and your body fat is 14%. You should be thinking about how good you can look (hard, lean and cut) at around 180 pounds. That's doable.

By grooming, I mean, hair removal, hair cuts, tanning, posing suit, finger nail and toe nail cut. You are standing on stage in a suit that barely covers the subject. You have to look tanned, slightly oiled, well groomed and confident.

I am on Face Book and IM (Old Navy). You can email me at [email protected].

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
age-25
h-5'11
w-196-198
bf-12-14% i have abs when flexed
NJ, 45 mins from newark aiport
i work out 4-5 days a week
im planing my 1st halo run
At that height bud you want to find a natural show and come in ripped. If you go NPC you will end up around 178 if not lower and be in the midleweight class. When I was competing I was fortuante to come in at max weight for the class but was still the tallest at 5"9. Fortunatly I had thickness

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
At that height bud you want to find a natural show and come in ripped. If you go NPC you will end up around 178 if not lower and be in the midleweight class. When I was competing I was fortuante to come in at max weight for the class but was still the tallest at 5"9. Fortunatly I had thickness
That guy you are replying to is banned so I don't think he will reply.