Measuring bodyfat with calipers

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was haveing my bodyfat measured awhile ago and was wondering when they measure your tricep and bicep if the numbers are going up,does that mean the muscle getting bigger or your gaining more fat????

brywal312

brywal312

Awards
  • Established
I was haveing my bodyfat measured awhile ago and was wondering when they measure your tricep and bicep if the numbers are going up,does that mean the muscle getting bigger or your gaining more fat????
if the numbers go up on the caliper test - you are gaining fat/water weight

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
At what point If the numbers are going down, do you know if your losing muscle???

brywal312

brywal312

Awards
  • Established
At what point If the numbers are going down, do you know if your losing muscle???
the way you figure that is using the chart that came with your calipers. if your lean body mass is going up you are gaining muscle and if it goes down you are losing muscle - likewise if your body fat % and your caliper measurements are going up you are gaining body fat.

redhawk

Awards
also be sure to use a reliable computing formula, ex Parillo method

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Gaining bodyfat in those areas.

The skinfold numbers are NOT going to tell you whether you are losing muscle. The only way you will know is to calculate your bodyfat % after having all your skinfolds taken, then seeing what your weight is, and calculating your lean body mass and bodyfat.

also be sure to use a reliable computing formula, ex Parillo method
And make sure that you're not only doing 1 or even 4 skinfold measurements; you need at least 6-8 to be more accurate. And unless you are ACTUALLY measuring (i.e. ISAK) to get the accurate spot for the skinfold, then your calculations will be INaccurate anyways, so make sure that you have someone who KNOWS what they are doing testing you.

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
reps to Geujsn...just covered everything I was about to say...Man everyone is beating me to the punch lately...

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
reps to Geujsn...just covered everything I was about to say...Man everyone is beating me to the punch lately...
LOL. No worries; just doing my part to help out. Can't have people doing things WRONG :D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Anabolics 2
match Weight Loss 4
35 and Older 6
35 and Older 4
Nutrition / Health 2