Artificial Sweeteners=Water Retention?

jstone28

Awards
Do artificial sweeteners cause water retention?

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I think they may in some people. It depends on which type of sweetener you're talking about as well. If you're worried about it for contest prep, just make sure you cut them at least a week out and you should be ok. I cut mine even a little further out just to be safe.

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
Yes. Especially aspartame. It causes stress on your liver, and since I stopped drinking diet sodas, I have lost a lot of water retention. Splenda (sucr.) seems to be a lot better though.

dalvare1

dalvare1

Awards
I agree. There may not be any concrete evidence, but I know from experience and others that diet sodas/sweeteners can cause bloating and water retention. Best not to chance it. Stick with the old H2o!!!!!

jstone28

Awards
Yeah I just went “cold turkey” a week ago. comps. in two days and I don’t want to bother with something like that.

Thanks for the replies guys. It was great help

sjfou

Awards
Coach Hale has had bbers use sucralose all the way to comp day

jstone28

Awards
I still haven’t found the definitive answer but I realize my body tends to hold on to water. Going “cold turkey” worked just fine

CrazyMC

Awards
Use stevia, it's awesome and natural. 300 times sweeter than sugar I think, with no calories if you get the pure extract.

jstone28

Awards
Use stevia, it's awesome and natural. 300 times sweeter than sugar I think, with no calories if you get the pure extract.
I would have but most of the artificial sugars I was taking in were from sugar-free gum and crystal light, so I was limited with my options