Countdown to 1st Competition - Advice?

PSBigJoey

PSBigJoey

Awards
Hey guys - 20 weeks out from 1st competition.
54 years 5'11" 211# @ approx 11% - picture attached.

Still on 3-way split routine, about to start Interval Cardio.

As I'm in Grand Masters, making a specific weight is not a concern, although if I end up looking decent at over 198.5, Novice Heavyweight crossover is a possibility (a lot of the novice heavies around here are either ungodly tall or a little too smooth).

I hear a lot of buzz about carb cycling & carb timing, but eveyone has a different methodology. Can you guys weigh in (bad pun) with some opinions? Ripped1, are you out there? How about some of you other experienced competitors....?

Thanks!

Attachments

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
No advice from me, but damn...I hope to look that swole at 54! good job bro!

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
What? 54? Impressive look! I would go with whatever looks right. I did not do carb cycling, but I will post my pre-contest diet for you.

1st meal: 8 egg whites with 2 whole eggs
2nd meal: Shake 1 1/2 scoop
3rd meal: 6 oz chicken breasts w. brocolli
4th. meal: Shake 1 1/2 scoop
5th. meal: (PWO) 80 g. gatorade w. 1 1/2 scoop whey
6th meal(1 h 1/2 after workout) 6 oz. lean meat w. brocolli w. 2/3 cup oatmeal
7th meal. 1 cup cottage skimmed

LOTS of water. Hope this helps.

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
First of all you look fantastic man, When I hit your age I can only hope to keep this body.

As far as being 20 weeks out dont really focus to hard right now, stick with what you araew doing it seems to be working for you, Dont over do the cardio this early you dont want to stress yourself out. Wait till around like 14-16 weeks and then really focus. Allot depends on your cardio vascular conditioning. At 54 it is only natural that it becomes harder to loose weght. I think maybe change your routine at 16 weeks, and put in some cardio to see what happens. By 8 weeks out you should be feeling pretty good.

Go get em

PSBigJoey

PSBigJoey

Awards
Thanks, Ripped. That was about where my head was --- to gently lower bodyfat until about 14 weeks out, then shift into something more concentrated - especially over the last 10 weeks. I'm hearing a lot about 2 reduced carb days followed by a normal to high carb day to reset leptin levels. Have you run into that approach before?

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
I have been reading allot about this latelly. Kind of like shocking the metabolism. However do not know anyone with experiance with it. I would stick to basic diet and not throw you r body off with something new.

PSBigJoey

PSBigJoey

Awards
Ripped,
It seems like you and I have talked to some of the same people along the way. The comment about not doing something new is another I've heard before. I guess most of this stems from the fact that I've never been anywhere near contest bf levels before - ever - and this feels like such a crapshoot. But your results were spectacular, and if you got there by basically doing "more of the same" plus careful attention to diet and supplementation, then I should be able to do the same. Thanks for the sane influence.... - J.

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
no problem bro contact me as you get closer to the show for advice if you would like

MadMas

Work Horse
Awards
Well i guess i will be the first to say it...

With a good contest prep you will be far under 198.5

njmuscle66

DS Board Rep
Awards
Very good size-I just did a masters show this weekend and one of the individuals that beat me was 54 and he deserved to place higher than me. Masters shows are very competitive but you should do well. I personally dont get into the whole carb cycling since I try to keep everything basic straight through. I tried to keep carbs set at apporoximately 200 g per day with 75 grams of it being centered around post workout. I use a product called vitagro which I have found very helpful for post workout when combined with Designer Supplements Glucophase serving as a glucose disposal agent. On my days I am not training I might through in another carb meal so I dont dip much below 150. I am sure some use higher amounts I just go with what works for me. Protein I keep set at 200-250 per day. I used some flax seed oil for fats.
Have you developements your supplement plan yet? I had great success recently with a stack of Designer Supplements Melting Point and Lean Extreme. I also used Avant labs Absolve. I have some before and afters at the Designer Supplement subforum in a thread Contest Countdown

Yes at 211 you will end up under the 198 limit once you dieted down and shed water but you have plenty of time to come in lean, muscullar and hard-good luck and will offer any insight I can as your dieting progresses

PSBigJoey

PSBigJoey

Awards
Thanks, Chuck. Finalizing diet & supps as we speak. Thanks for your input. I'll check the before & afters... - Joey

theshocker21

Awards
  • Established
Carb cycling is the best. You can low carb it every saturday and sunday adding in such things as 6oz of sweet potato, two meals with 1/2 cup of brown rice, 1/2 scoop of glycoload along with 1/2 cup of oats in the morning. That's a good example of everything you would do to moderately fill out on a saturday and sunday. If you can handle it, eat fish such as cod/tilapia. This will help to thin the skin and give you a wicked look.

gotripped

gotripped

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Indeed. Try not to carb cycle Skyy Vodka and Orange Juice. I believe It made me smaller back in the day. HAHA. Funny joke... Anyways. Looking GOOD!
:bb:

njmuscle66

DS Board Rep
Awards
How is the plan coming? Just thought I could offer some feedback

PSBigJoey

PSBigJoey

Awards
Thanks, Chuck - we're slowly phasing in a plan now - let me get a few weeks in and I'll see if it performs... - J

PSBigJoey

PSBigJoey

Awards
8 Weeks out

Here's a recent shot - 8 weeks out @ 203

At this point I'm starting to get the "is it going fast enough?" thing in my head - but the people around me are saying I should stay the course, that everything is dialling in OK.

The way the process plays with your head is probably the most interesting.... right now I'm hanging in there and staying with the plan - but the temptation to push the fat off very rapidly is intense, though I'm sure it would lead to muscle loss and peaking way too early.

Attachments

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Damn straight you are man :) Constant healthy looking gains. The way it should be done!

rippedforce63

Awards
  • Established
Looking solid man, good luck with your comp. Once you do one you're gunna be hooked on it.

PSBigJoey

PSBigJoey

Awards
Thanks, Ripped - man, this first time is a strange ride!

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Great consistent gains, Joey. Best of luck with the remainding weeks. Keep us updated.

THETEST

Awards
  • Established
Your looking great best of luck to you - what is your BF% now? I am 49 and got stuck at 8%, and needed to go to fish, and cut out the protein shakes - they have some salt and other things in them them make you hold water. Talipia fish, about 8-9 oz, 6 times a day. Then, cut carbs to about 4 oz of sweet potato with every meal. Then cut carbs out of the last two meals. It really depends on how ripped you want to get - I was trying to get into the 5% range - got under 7% but it is tough - feels crappy to go to bed hungry. Best of luck to you.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Stuck at 8% :) If only I had that problem. I'd be happy at stuck at 18% :p

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
hey bro, from that pick you are going just fine. Do not panic you will be fine. Look good

PSBigJoey

PSBigJoey

Awards
Thanks guys - Ripped, coming from you that's a huge boost. I'll post some updated shots this weekend if I get the chance - meeting with the guy mixing my music on Saturday.

From what I can tell from looking at others, it's the last two weeks that really tell the story. I'm down to 195# now, and expect to be on stage at a too-damn-small 190 - but it will be tight.

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
hey man sometimes it is not always size that wins a show, I came in at 171 at the New Englands and still looked large. If you come in ripped you will look great man. Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you have any concerns. Bro you are going to do fine

THETEST

Awards
  • Established
You will kick the grand masters class - you are doing great - wait till you tan up, has someone taking you thru how to run the last week - cutting some water and adding carbs ?- I am sure that you will be great - just pose pose pose - and come out on stage with confidence - you'll win the Division man

PSBigJoey

PSBigJoey

Awards
Thanks, Ripped & Test - the support & encouragement from guys like you two means a lot. Music being mixed this weekend. Got my end diet/water/etc. strategy in hand.

We'll see how it all turns out.
Joey

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
hey Joey if I look that good when I am your age, I will do the Olympia. lol You seem ready. Rock on, do not worry so much as far as the night routine goes though. Music is for fun. Truth is I have never prepared for the night show. I just go out and please the crowd. I did the last show to Psycho by disturbed. Was good.

PSBigJoey

PSBigJoey

Awards
We're mixing something old & something new - "Driving" by Hip Son & "Heartless" by Heart. Just like to get the adrenaline pumping in the audience as well as on stage.

THETEST

Awards
  • Established
By the way you asked about carb cycling - I have done it - and prefer a slow reduction in complex carbs - no simple carbs (no spiking insulin now - not even after a workout) - you are no longer building muscle, you are maintaining while burning fat. Carb cycling works, but it is tougher on you. Id rather go to bed hunrgy for a few weeks. than have a big carb up meal once every 3 days - just personal opinion

PSBigJoey

PSBigJoey

Awards
Test, I'm taking that approach this time. It seems to be working fine, although at 4 weeks out I look and wonder if it's going to come together in time. There are a couple of very experienced competitors at my gym who tell me I'm on track - (one's an IFBB pro - retired, and the other won his division at Nationals last year) - so I'm putting some faith in that.

THETEST

Awards
  • Established
I am sure they know what to look for from their knowledge and experience. My trainer has 23 yrs experience, NCP Judge, Nutritionist, etc. He looked at me at 212lbs a few months ago and said I would come into the contest at 178lbs. I came in at 177 1/4. no far off - these guys know what to look for - I am sure you will do great.

THETEST

Awards
  • Established
The tough part for me was cutting all carbs out of the last two meals, then a few weeks later cutting fat down to 1 tbs of flax oil a day -and all meals protein source is Talipia fish. I am sure it is low it fat. It is very digestible. But ignoring hurger pangs at night (past 7 pm) is the tough part. But it does not sound like you need to follow that approach. I needed it because I am very sensitive to chemicals - and love the protein shakes, sweets. Good luck to you - keep us posted on the show - it must be getting close - when is it?

PSBigJoey

PSBigJoey

Awards
The contest is Oct 28th. Just under 4 weeks now. From looking at some of the progress shots of other members here, it looks like I'm in the ballpark. Since it's my first show, it's a bit of a crapshoot - but clearly I'm carb-sensitive and will have to lower them slowly up to the last week, then faster during that week. Keith Klein's approach got me this far - but my local nutritionist (Alan Aragon, who runs the nutrition board here) suggested reading what Joe Klemczewski has to say on drying out in the last week, and Klemczewski's approach seems to make a lot of sense to me.
Might get some progress shots posted here later today....
Thanks for your continued input & encouragement.

THETEST

Awards
  • Established
I can tell you how I am doing this last week, and it worked well form me 2 weeks ago, so I am hoping it will work again. I drink 1.5 to 2 gals of water Monday and Tuesday with very low carbs. Then starting Wednesday (dryout as you stated it begins). I drop to 1 gal of water, and double my carbs. Then Thursday I drop to 1/2 gal, then Friday even less and hold on. Drying out is the hardest part, and you have to be careful with your health on how little water you feel you can handle. I actually have a stake & potato with veggies the night before - spill over is the danger of looking smooth - and you only spill over if you have too many carbs and too much water - the less water you have the better chance you have of not spilling over . On the other hand - too few carbs, and you risk coming in looking flat with understated muscle size. None of this is worth too much health risk, as people have died from using dirutecs to help manipulate water, electrolite balances can go off - the relationship of potassium and sodium is delecate. I am not trying to tell you what to do, but at least give you enough info to ask questions of the folks guiding you so you get to make an informed decision. My 1st show was with a poor trainer who gave me a very strong duiretic - and though I looked ok the morning of the show - my hand and stomach cramps were very bad, and luckily someone gave me some potassium pills and I recovered. This can be dangerious - so I would recommend no duirectics, and drink 1/2 gal of water till 5 pm, the night before the show, then just have ice chips till after the morning prejudging - then drink a little at a time during the day - you can become tougher as you learn your body and enjoy the process. Take Care

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
good advise THETEST. PSBigJoey, I look forward to seeing your progress pics. I'm certain you're coming along great!

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
Joey, I stronly agree you should not try to use any diueretics your fiest time around. they arae very dangerous and shoud be used by experienced competitors. Listen to your trainer he sounds like he knows what he is doing. All of us can give you advice however you need to learn what works for you. For example I cut my carbs to 50 grqams for 3 days then all I eat is potatoes for the whole day prior with 2 boxes of granola. Works great for me may not for you. Just stick to what your trainier has you do, and dont stress to much about coming in perfect. Thge stress alone can ruin you so concentrate on being on stage and accomplishing the first show. You will be fine froim the pictures you have shown us. I will look forward to seeing some pics from a week out.

On another note, go Jay Cutler bout time someone represented New England.

PSBigJoey

PSBigJoey

Awards
No fears, Rippppppped1 - diuretics are NOT on my list. Right now the plan is a gentle decrease in carbs until the last week, when the rate of decrease increases, then a moderate carb-up period to fill out in the 24 hours before the show. Since it is my first time, I can't predict my response too accurately - we'll all find out together. :)

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
Awesome plan man, you got your head on straight.

THETEST

Awards
  • Established
Great logic guys - everyone is different on the carb up - 8 hrs to several days as I understand it. Considering that folks do not do this very often, it is something you have to experiment with a little at a time. I slowly carb up for 3 days - and it works for me, but only if I stop drinking water at noon the day before the show - but then you come in very dry, and full. Ripped is right - not for your 1st time out. This is my 4th year of doing shows, and I tend to hold water so need to restrict more - you are in good hands and will do great -- relax and enjoy. You should have a complete 6pack by a week out - remember that your work outs are to pump blood into the muscles, not gain size, so they can be easier - focus on posing, confidence, and stay away from squats - leg extensions and lunges, will serve you better. Ah - there I go giving advice again - you are already in good hands - take care

PSBigJoey

PSBigJoey

Awards
Thanks, Test - you & Ripppppped give me consistantly reasonable feedback. Klemczewski suggests keeping water high through Friday, a slight increase in sodium Mon-Wed with a slight drop beginning Thursday (making sure potassium is < 1/3 of sodium). The carb boost is only moderate and done on Friday as the water comes back up....being careful not to over-carb and smooth out. Of course, the first time is a crapshoot as we've all agreed. Klemczewski's main point is that radical swings are difficult to time, and the rebound effects can be drastically unfortunate (death, or - worse yet - soft and flat on contest day :blink: ). So I'll go gentle with my Water, Carb, Sodium & Potassium manipulations.

PS: Got my 6 pack 3-1/2 weeks out. We'll see what happens next.

THETEST

Awards
  • Established
keep up the great work - !! show pics when you get em

PSBigJoey

PSBigJoey

Awards
Pics - 3 weeks out

Well - the abs apprear & disappear with water, but I'm beginning to believe it will all come together in time.