What's a good weight??

refrieddreams

refrieddreams

Awards
  • Established
I have been kicking around the idea of doing a show...in the future.

I was wondering at 5'7" what weight should a guy come in at and not look "skinny".

I can not stand that Etheopian look, (no offense to any Etheopians out there).
I have just seen so many guys just look skinny,with some muscle, rather than muscular and LEAN.

I am 5'7" have been really lean @ 145, looked good, just small. I am now 188 and probebly 10% or so.

So in a typical local type show, what do you thnk a guy that looks good weighs at 5'7"???

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
good weight to not look skinny at 5'7 IMO is 198 top of the light heavy weights

refrieddreams

refrieddreams

Awards
  • Established
what about mediem weight or even light weight guys? Sometime they look better then light heavies IMO..

I am also wondering what glen came in at and also his height. Thanks

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
what about mediem weight or even light weight guys? Sometime they look better then light heavies IMO..

I am also wondering what glen came in at and also his height. Thanks
See my edit above --

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
glen's 5'8 came in 179 (which fucked him because he was 3 pounds over the limit for middleweights)

you asked what i (anyone) think is not skinny at that height .. to me that height would be a top light heavy .. i should have been a middle weight but screwed up just a bit and was too carbed too early .. of course at 179 and 5% bf at 5'8 i didn't look skinny to anyone at all .. except myself and definitely the judges since i was standing next to all light heavies lol

live and learn :)

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
It depends on your shape and what muscle you have on your frame.. I think I look the same at 169-171 as I do now, just leaner..

FreakNasty22

Awards
also alot of guys in the gym that look hard think that they only have to lose 10-15 lbs to be in contest shape, that ain't the way it goes you take a hard dense pretty cut up guy and get him down to 4% and take all the water out him and we'll see what the definition of real muscle tissue is

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
Hey glen, do you think coming in at show condition at 198 at 6' would be too skinny?

IRserge

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Everyone carries the weight differently, 198 might look good on one 6ft guy but look shitty on another. You shouldn't diet for a show aiming to make a certain weigt unless you have done enough shows to be certain at what you will come in around. A lot of times people try to play the size game and come in soft and smooth. Judges don't care how much you weigh, they can give a **** less. Bodybuilding is a visual sport and all that matters is what you look like, stats are irrelevent on stage.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
Hey glen, do you think coming in at show condition at 198 at 6' would be too skinny?
well i know what your body's like nate and no i don't think it would be too skinny at all .. i mean ideally you'd probably want to be 220ish but trust me you won't look skinny at all

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Everyone carries the weight differently, 198 might look good on one 6ft guy but look shitty on another. You shouldn't diet for a show aiming to make a certain weigt unless you have done enough shows to be certain at what you will come in around. A lot of times people try to play the size game and come in soft and smooth. Judges don't care how much you weigh, they can give a **** less. Bodybuilding is a visual sport and all that matters is what you look like, stats are irrelevent on stage.
Damn good post! :thumbsup:

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
My goal is to eventually get up to 220 and be around 6-7%, thats gonna be a long rocky road though lol, but Im slowly chugging along:D

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Emphasis on the parts that need it... ;)

Even when you get to however "big" you wanna compete at, how are you so sure you'll be that size when you dial it in? I say **** all if size is the main worry..

refrieddreams

refrieddreams

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys, I guess I am dieting now, and haven't weighed in in a long time, I was just going by my waist size and mirror to see if I am getting results.

I was very surprised when I did wheigh in @ 188. I thought I would be lighter by now. So I am very pleased, I just train alone and in a gym with a bunch of fat guys, so getting something to compare myself to is tough.

I agree that the weight shouldn't matter, that is why I hardly ever step on the scale.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
you're right on refried i completely agree about weight being relatively irrelevant .. i just threw some numbers out there to try to answer your question :)

refrieddreams

refrieddreams

Awards
  • Established
No, thanks man. So do you think you were too light at 179, we are almost the same height?

I am tottaly natty BTW, so far.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
no i don't think i was too light at all .. just too light to compete as a light heavy .. i SHOULD have been 3 pounds lighter so i could have been a middleweight

being 5'8 and weighing 176 at a LEGIT 4% looks impressively large

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
yup you're a skinny bitch bohica .. nothing i can do about it ;)

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
hey its not my fault kate moss has a bigger chest than you

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
That's it, I'm sending my bat after you...

refrieddreams

refrieddreams

Awards
  • Established
Bro...is there a way we can ban that bat? It is really disturbing.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
i believe pete is around 205ish now .. could be wrong though

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I appreciate the guesstimate, but I'm hovering around 198-202 right now.. Abit of a bump in protein and EFA's I should be around 205 again.. ;)

oldskoolbb

Awards
I agree with alot of the other posts. 2 guys 5' 7" 190 at 5%bp can look totally different.

my brother and I are the same height. but are weights at same bf are totally different. He is lighter than me. He has always been lean and muscular medium build. Me I am a neanderthal very large shoulders and bones..protruding brow..lol..if we both weighed 220 he would look a lot bigger than I .. best of luck if you decide to do it...I am sure you would do well refried..

TURUGBY

Awards
  • Established
just curious, at 5ft9 around 210 competition would this do well, i know the weight is semi-relevant but hey, its something to compare to.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
At 5'7 and shredded, you're looking pretty big once you get over 180lbs IMO.

I know this guy, Tad Inoue, and he came in at 5'7" and 191lbs (Border States 2005) at this competition--and he has an average BBer waist, too....nothing Melvin Anthony-ish by any means.