any info on competing help a brotha out!!!

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So i've been kicking the idea around more and more and am debating making an attempt at competing.

Currently my stats are not that impressive and I definitely need to thicken my chest.

5'8" 182 - 178lbs 9.5% BF as of right now.

The questions I have are how do you get started in something like that? Where would I find a coach? Just basic knowledge on how to break into into competing...

Thanks guys, go easy

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bump... Nothing?

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
One more time...

P094743

Awards
First, have you been to a show as a spectator? If not, I recommend that you attend one to get a general idea of the level of conditioning that is the norm.

Second, look for a show in your area (or close) that will include novice competition.

If you are 9.5% bf, then you probably could be ready in as little as 8-10 weeks. So obviously no shows before August.

Third, I would put together a week by week diet leading up to the day of the show to include your supps/gear. Also a good idea to identify lagging body parts and include a plan to address those issues.

As for a coach, this would be your first competition so you will probably be on your own. Let your family, coworkers, friends, etc. know that you are training for a show, it helps to talk about your goals out loud, makes you accountable. Also helps to get positive motivation from as many people as possible.

Good luck and maybe post your plan as others will be apt to comment.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
First, have you been to a show as a spectator? If not, I recommend that you attend one to get a general idea of the level of conditioning that is the norm.

Second, look for a show in your area (or close) that will include novice competition.

If you are 9.5% bf, then you probably could be ready in as little as 8-10 weeks. So obviously no shows before August.

Third, I would put together a week by week diet leading up to the day of the show to include your supps/gear. Also a good idea to identify lagging body parts and include a plan to address those issues.

As for a coach, this would be your first competition so you will probably be on your own. Let your family, coworkers, friends, etc. know that you are training for a show, it helps to talk about your goals out loud, makes you accountable. Also helps to get positive motivation from as many people as possible.

Good luck and maybe post your plan as others will be apt to comment.
Reps when I get to a computer... Thank you very much for responding bro.

First off no I haven't been to a competition yet, so that will be first order of business.

Secondly I think there is one coming up in June in AZ so that's that...

What do judges really look for as far as body parts? I'm not big enough for anything other than natural physique competition so is it based on symmetry? Proportion?

Thanks again dude

aceroni

Awards
for a physique competiton they really focus on a bigger chest rounder delts and well developed arms.. obviously with a set of nice abs that will come through with dieting... check this out man.. http://michigannpcnews.com/new_mens_physique_division
if you go through that site you can click on the individual shows and they have pics from each, obv the guys with shorts on are physique guys..
or go check out rxmuscle.com for more pics

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
for a physique competiton they really focus on a bigger chest rounder delts and well developed arms.. obviously with a set of nice abs that will come through with dieting... check this out man.. http://michigannpcnews.com/new_mens_physique_division
if you go through that site you can click on the individual shows and they have pics from each, obv the guys with shorts on are physique guys..
or go check out rxmuscle.com for more pics
Right on dude some very good info here ^^^ i'm prob about a year or two out then my chest is def a problem area the effer is really slow to grow...

Thanks again guys for responding.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Actually now that I look those novice guys really aren't much bigger than I am... Hmmm...

You guys have given me some good places to start thank you again.

P094743

Awards
Problems with chest....what does your chest day look like? Sequence, exercises, sets, day of the week, etc..

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Problems with chest....what does your chest day look like? Sequence, exercises, sets, day of the week, etc..
I do chest and shoulders together.

I rotate back and forth between flat and incline db press at the beginning of chest day. I switch to the other once I stop progressing. Takes usually about 6 - 8 Weeks before I plateau whether reps or additional weight.

I know I should be doing barbell. I have a dislocated shoulder injury from when I was jumped a few years ago that really doesn't allow for benching. I never really made much progress benching either visual or weights.

After DB press I swap to the one I didn't start with flat or incline.

rep range for first lift 3 sets of 12 when I hit 12 for all three sets I go up. Currently i'm repping 95s at 14,12,11 will easily hit all 12 next week.

Then I move to either or... Lighter 12 - 15 all three sets same deal 12 for all 3 them move up.

3rd set peck deck, flys some sort of isolation move.,

Thanks for taking the time to help out bud

aceroni

Awards
Here buddy, this is what i'm going to tell you..
YOU DONT NEED BARBELL FLAT.
I know, I KNOW, I'm going to get flamed for saying that, but if you want your chest to grow, hit your inclines (traditional 45degree), and even hit your flat DB's on a SLIGHT incline (try 15-25 degrees as opposed to flat)
I feel more pectoral stimulation when I do db's anyways. I know BB gives you that nice overload, but it also puts MUCH unnecessary stress on your rotators, and like you- I have had shoulder issues in the past; hence why I avoid it.

Gotta play your cards the way you can man, we're in it for the long haul, remember? :)

EDIT1:: And anyone I've ever known that has A- torn their shoulder or B- required shoulder surgery, guess how they did it, BARBELL FLAT BENCH!!!!!! dun dun dunnnnnnn

EDIT2:: But take it from me as a fellow BB competitor. It's VERY easy to say "oh i'm bigger than that guy" looking at yourself b/w 10-13%, and seeing the guys on stage at 1-4%.. Then when you get down to that body fat, you realize you wern't as big as you thought you were...
But ya man as far as natural physique shows, the guys arn't usually that big.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Here buddy, this is what i'm going to tell you..
YOU DONT NEED BARBELL FLAT.
I know, I KNOW, I'm going to get flamed for saying that, but if you want your chest to grow, hit your inclines (traditional 45degree), and even hit your flat DB's on a SLIGHT incline (try 15-25 degrees as opposed to flat)
I feel more pectoral stimulation when I do db's anyways. I know BB gives you that nice overload, but it also puts MUCH unnecessary stress on your rotators, and like you- I have had shoulder issues in the past; hence why I avoid it.

Gotta play your cards the way you can man, we're in it for the long haul, remember? :)

EDIT1:: And anyone I've ever known that has A- torn their shoulder or B- required shoulder surgery, guess how they did it, BARBELL FLAT BENCH!!!!!! dun dun dunnnnnnn

EDIT2:: But take it from me as a fellow BB competitor. It's VERY easy to say "oh i'm bigger than that guy" looking at yourself b/w 10-13%, and seeing the guys on stage at 1-4%.. Then when you get down to that body fat, you realize you wern't as big as you thought you were...
But ya man as far as natural physique shows, the guys arn't usually that big.
Thanks, I think... But did you just call me fat : ( 10 - 13%? You just added 3.5% to my BF% D1CK!!! Jk Jk

Yea man I can't BB press it wreaks havoc on my shoulders. They crunch and crackle all the way down and back up.

1-4%?! You're kidding right? These guys are getting down to 1% I was thinking 4-5%... I used to cut for wrestling and sh1t no problem but 1%?

aceroni

Awards
ok ok.. No I'm not calling you fat. But for BB'rs, if they are LEAN, they get down to 2-4%.. 1% was a typo.
But as far as physique, i think you'd be safe around 6-8% if you pulled your water.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
ok ok.. No I'm not calling you fat. But for BB'rs, if they are LEAN, they get down to 2-4%.. 1% was a typo.
But as far as physique, i think you'd be safe around 6-8% if you pulled your water.
Righteous brother... Any tips on chest devel?

P094743

Awards
I agree w/ aceroni on hitting MOSTLY incline excersises for chest development. It brings out more of the upper chest imo. Flat db, Bb typically develops the lower part of the pec which gives it a droopy look from the side. You want to be able to develop both and probably the lower is already there.

My advice is to always start off w/ incline presses first, maybe change it up with flat presses every 4th week and every 3rd week pre-exhaust chest by doing flys (dumbell, pecdeck, cables) for your first excersise and immediately follow with incline presses.

If you are only doing 3 exercises and you feel your chest needs attention, I would go 4-5
exercises and devote 1 day to chest only. Your shoulders will benefit from their own day as well. I recommend 3 presses and 2 fly exercises to go press, fly, press, fly, press. The break from press to fly will give your shoulder a small break, which i feel is a big benefit for shoulder issues.

Try it out!

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I agree w/ aceroni on hitting MOSTLY incline excersises for chest development. It brings out more of the upper chest imo. Flat db, Bb typically develops the lower part of the pec which gives it a droopy look from the side. You want to be able to develop both and probably the lower is already there.

My advice is to always start off w/ incline presses first, maybe change it up with flat presses every 4th week and every 3rd week pre-exhaust chest by doing flys (dumbell, pecdeck, cables) for your first excersise and immediately follow with incline presses.

If you are only doing 3 exercises and you feel your chest needs attention, I would go 4-5
exercises and devote 1 day to chest only. Your shoulders will benefit from their own day as well. I recommend 3 presses and 2 fly exercises to go press, fly, press, fly, press. The break from press to fly will give your shoulder a small break, which i feel is a big benefit for shoulder issues.

Try it out!
Awesome! Thank you man seriously.

Thank you too Ace!

superbeast668

superbeast668

Awards
I'm going to sub in on this. I'm thinking of getting started as well. oddly enough since its a short drive I'm going down to florida to a show in november. I'm a bit out yet, im giving my self a full 12-14 months to prep as i need to catch my quads up with my upper torso and catch my arms up a bit and continue to recomp to a reasonable (9=10%) body fat percantage so i dont lose all of my mass on a cut. so far i'm seeing some good info being thrown around in here.

as far as not using a coach for the first show, can i ask why not? seems like a decent way to get an edge, and since i'm totally new in the idea of bodybuilding (i've always been more of a power guy) it seems like it would be very helpful.

also. as far as routine, can i toss the idea of dc training out there? it seems to help a bit and instead of doing what im doing for my chest portion which is incline flat and decline you could hit incline, slight incline and flat or something like that to focus in on your uppers better. in all honesty its not that bad for being at a relatively low body fat %.

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
I was trying to grt a response on dieting cause I will be doing a comp october.... and I think I have an idea on the diet....

BigKrabbe

BigKrabbe

Awards
  • Established
Do it! Do a show. Seriously. Find a show 12-16 weeks out. If you haven't done a big diet or cut before either pay for a comp diet plan, research what others have done, or ask others who compete. For my diet I did low carb, high protein, moderate fats. Training stayed the same, just added in an hr a day of stairmaster.