***PRE-CONTEST DIET***

batemantx

batemantx

Awards
hey all so im looking forward to my 1st contest & plan on being ready within the next 3 months or so. as such im looking to find input from any veterans out there as this is my 1st show & ive tried exhausting many avenues & have not been too successful in finding the help i need.

about me/stats: im 27, 5'6" 179lbs, lean sitting at about 12%. dont drink, drugs, etc. ive been athletic & lifting since i was about 12yrs old. i attended the Marine Military Academy in Harlingen, TX so i have that "never quit" attitude & discipline which is tattooed into my soul, ergo i have the discipline to follow whatever i put my mind to be it training, meal program, etc. im also a double certified personal trainer through The Cooper Institute, which for those that are familiar is a top-level institution. im schooled in training, nutrition & supps, as well as decently knowledgeable in AAS.-

however be that as it may, im humble in admitting that i need to learn more in order to prepare and be successful at doing my 1st show, thus all input from you experienced bb's out there is GREATLY APPRECIATED & no bull**** i thank you for your time.

my MAIN FOCUS is maintaining my lean muscle mass while MAXIMIZING FAT LOSS, thus thats where i would appreciate the knowledge-
heres what im doing now & a list of supps, etc.

6am- wake/cardio empty stomach (maybe some whey & BCAA's)

7am- bfast: eggwhites & oatmeal

10am- MRP protein shake & apple or small amount of raw almonds

12pm- lift
1pm- post lift shake: Controlled Labs "Golden Finish"

2pm- post lift meal: tuna or chicken, brown rice & broccoli

5pm- shake or bar, apple or handful of raw almonds

7pm- dinner: chicken or salmon or turkey breast with lots of green veggies (no carbs)

10pm/11pm: pre-bed shake w/ flax

i lift 4x week
cardio is done 5-6 @ moderate/high intensity for 30+ min.

im on 4iu growth/day- no breaks
40mg anavar
im also "pulsing" cytomel @ 25mcg/day 6wks on 6wks off throughout
ECA stack is 5 days on 2 days off

multi-vitamin
EFA's
fiber-teq
as well as K-R-ALA type supp that i take w/ carb meals
vitrix "natty test booster" ed as directed

i always eat well, like i said have great discipline & could just truly use some veteran knowledge in "tapering" my meal program to maximize fat-loss while maintaining lean muscle mass and being ready for my show about 3months out- thx all once again i truly appreciate the help-

-cheers
:usa:

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
however be that as it may, im humble in admitting that i need to learn more in order to prepare and be successful at doing my 1st show, thus

6am- wake/cardio empty stomach (maybe some whey & BCAA's)

7am- bfast: eggwhites & oatmeal

10am- MRP protein shake & apple or small amount of raw almonds

12pm- lift
1pm- post lift shake: Controlled Labs "Golden Finish"

2pm- post lift meal: tuna or chicken, brown rice & broccoli

5pm- shake or bar, apple or handful of raw almonds

7pm- dinner: chicken or salmon or turkey breast with lots of green veggies (no carbs)

10pm/11pm: pre-bed shake w/ flax

i lift 4x week
cardio is done 5-6 @ moderate/high intensity for 30+ min.

ok first, let me commend u on asking the question in the first place. most ppl thinik they know everythign when they kknow nothing. One can always learn more especially in this crazy sport of ours.

your diet looks decent u dont list the amounts of each nutrient which would be helpful in really assessing it...

as far as tapering down goes, if u are losing 1lb a week dont change anything! once fat loss has haulted you want to reduce the over all calories by 10% for the following week to see how that effects u. start with carbs until you only have half a cup in the am and PW then start to play aroudn with the other variables if you need. you could also up the cardio as get leaner and leaner. but when u start upping the cardio dont drop your cals that week.

how many weeks out are you? whats ur current weight and bf%

batemantx

batemantx

Awards
thx for responding, the show id like to do is in about 3-4mo. so i figure thats plenty of time to drop the BF, as ive heard many BB's dont prepare far enough out- im leaving room for mistakes lol as its my 1st show. im 5'6", 179lbs and im at around 12%, id like to start moving into a different, more effective fat burning part of my meal program however so im considering moving from my current meal program as ive been doing it for some time now and trying a more effective one.

ive considered a plethora of different programs, everything from the "palumbo program" to "calorie cycling" and im thinking what would be nice would be to run a "carb cycling" diet down for about 6wks or so just to see how that works- ive heard these can be quite effective- thoughts?

im pretty low carbing it already as my grams are as follows-
bfast is around 60g carbs
PWO shake is only about 20g
PWO meal is about 60g

thats about it when it comes to carbs w/o the addition of trace carbs

protein and good fats are kept at a higher level- try to shoot for 60g protein @ each, 20g or so good fats/day

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
5'6''179 @ 12% = 21 lbs of fat on ur frame = you want to lose about 16lbs = - 1 lb a week about 16 weeks of dieting nessessary for best results.

ok having said that..

yeah im a big fan of carb cycling myself but im not sure how that would react with your body since your already pretty low carbs, a standerd carb cycling diet looks something like 400g of carbs on high days, 200 g of carbs on med days, and 50 - 0 grams of carbs on low days. now since your already doing low carbs those amounts will have to be lowered i would think but im not sure, maybe someone else can chime in.

if ur taking in 60g of protein at each meal X 6 meals thats = 360g of protein, too much IMO. 1.5 g of protein/ lb LBM is more than plenty which comes out to 240g a day. I would incorperate more fats to make up for the missing cals especially on low carb days. ur gong to need somthing to use for energy.

batemantx

batemantx

Awards
anyone else lol? i came on these boards out of respect for some of the talent that I KNOW is out there, plz lend a hand if any of u bb's come across this-

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
5'6''179 @ 12% = 21 lbs of fat on ur frame = you want to lose about 16lbs = - 1 lb a week about 16 weeks of dieting nessessary for best results.

ok having said that..

yeah im a big fan of carb cycling myself but im not sure how that would react with your body since your already pretty low carbs, a standerd carb cycling diet looks something like 400g of carbs on high days, 200 g of carbs on med days, and 50 - 0 grams of carbs on low days. now since your already doing low carbs those amounts will have to be lowered i would think but im not sure, maybe someone else can chime in.

if ur taking in 60g of protein at each meal X 6 meals thats = 360g of protein, too much IMO. 1.5 g of protein/ lb LBM is more than plenty which comes out to 240g a day. I would incorperate more fats to make up for the missing cals especially on low carb days. ur gong to need somthing to use for energy.
On point post, I think he meant 60 g of carbs, not protein though. I have been having good success with a CKD. Cyclic Ketogenic Diet. Less than 30g carbs per day Sun-Friday, carb up on saturday. Typically for me, anything much above 400-500g carbs on saturday and I feel like crap. Some go up to 1000-1200 over a 36 hour period. I just stick to saturday, and try to taper it down in the evening as long as I don't go out to eat that night and get crazy with dessert. I start the day great with good carbs and end up going overboard and off the deep end at night and feel like hell by bedtime. It will also help you see how your body responds to the final week depletion and carb up for show time. I think you being on less than 150 carbs, it might now be too hard to adjust to a keto diet.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I think you being on less than 150 carbs, it might now be too hard to adjust to a keto diet.

Confused...Him being down at 150 grams a day means he is already a perfect candidate for a keto style diet his body is already pretty efficient at burning fat for energy, his body is also already semi depleted so insulin sensitivity is probably very high.. These 2 things together set him up for some LBM rebound alone from a CKD type of diet. What he wont see from it is the sudden drop in weight that someone else who is on higher carbs sees because he is not likely holding much glycogen or water which is the bulk of the initial weight loss from going low carb. Also you do not have to be in a carb deficit to load. If you normally take in 200 grams a day and suddenly take in 600 grams of carbs one day you still get the same amount of super compensation. It may not be as drastically noticeable because the balloon is not fully deflated before being filled back up but the same muscle has the same saturation point REGARDLESS of prior level of fullness. It is your bodies reaction to an insurgence of blood sugar to produce a crap load of insulin causing the muscle to soak up everything they can fit. That reaction is what causes the extreme fullness to the muscle not the fact it was empty in the first place. If having been in a deficit for a while that may mean that you will be more sensitive to insulin, but still a fully stretch muscle only fits what it fits and will fill up that way regardless of prior saturation level.

When I carb cycle carbs I do it a little lower like 0-75, cardio days and 150-200g on training days with the bulk of those carbs being pre and post workout. I still prefer the bulk of my cals be from protein and fats. Currently recomping around 270 g of protein with carbs 30% on training days and maybe 20% on cardio days the rest coming from fats.

If lowering protein replace with fats, if going on a CKD I recommend a good portion of those fats come from MCT Oil, they are burned MUCH easier for energy almost as easily as carbs, and also help to naturally elevate your testosterone levels. I see you are already taking in EFA's so that should cover your fat intake.

KgTomCat

KgTomCat

Awards
  • Established
Confused...Him being down at 150 grams a day means he is already a perfect candidate for a keto style diet his body is already pretty efficient at burning fat for energy, his body is also already semi depleted so insulin sensitivity is probably very high.. These 2 things together set him up for some LBM rebound alone from a CKD type of diet. What he wont see from it is the sudden drop in weight that someone else who is on higher carbs sees because he is not likely holding much glycogen or water which is the bulk of the initial weight loss from going low carb. Also you do not have to be in a carb deficit to load. If you normally take in 200 grams a day and suddenly take in 600 grams of carbs one day you still get the same amount of super compensation. It may not be as drastically noticeable because the balloon is not fully deflated before being filled back up but the same muscle has the same saturation point REGARDLESS of prior level of fullness. It is your bodies reaction to an insurgence of blood sugar to produce a crap load of insulin causing the muscle to soak up everything they can fit. That reaction is what causes the extreme fullness to the muscle not the fact it was empty in the first place. If having been in a deficit for a while that may mean that you will be more sensitive to insulin, but still a fully stretch muscle only fits what it fits and will fill up that way regardless of prior saturation level.

When I carb cycle carbs I do it a little lower like 0-75, cardio days and 150-200g on training days with the bulk of those carbs being pre and post workout. I still prefer the bulk of my cals be from protein and fats. Currently recomping around 270 g of protein with carbs 30% on training days and maybe 20% on cardio days the rest coming from fats.

If lowering protein replace with fats, if going on a CKD I recommend a good portion of those fats come from MCT Oil, they are burned MUCH easier for energy almost as easily as carbs, and also help to naturally elevate your testosterone levels. I see you are already taking in EFA's so that should cover your fat intake.
j/w...do you more carbs pre or post WO?

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Post due to my training being fasted at 4:30 in the morning. On Saturday about half and half.

KgTomCat

KgTomCat

Awards
  • Established
Post due to my training being fasted at 4:30 in the morning. On Saturday about half and half.
I see...Im switching to fasted training mon/wed/fri...so all of my carbs come post as well. I just feel bad even eating carbs post WO when trying to go 'low carb', is this normal lol

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I see...Im switching to fasted training mon/wed/fri...so all of my carbs come post as well. I just feel bad even eating carbs post WO when trying to go 'low carb', is this normal lol
By feel bad you mean physically or mentally like you are doing something wrong? How long have you been eating that way and what carb sources are you using.

KgTomCat

KgTomCat

Awards
  • Established
its all mentally...this has been a dispute with me for about a year now...complex or simple carbs post WO? I used to use simple for the insulin spike but now I only use complex. whats your feel on this?

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
its all mentally...this has been a dispute with me for about a year now...complex or simple carbs post WO? I used to use simple for the insulin spike but now I only use complex. whats your feel on this?
I like a complex carb with a nutrition partioner like Glycobol, Anabolic Pump, or Yellow Gold. The berberine in these turn off the fat stores while mimicking the insulinogenic reaction in the muscle cells. IE no fat sotrage extra muscle storage.

KgTomCat

KgTomCat

Awards
  • Established
I like a complex carb with a nutrition partioner like Glycobol, Anabolic Pump, or Yellow Gold. The berberine in these turn off the fat stores while mimicking the insulinogenic reaction in the muscle cells. IE no fat sotrage extra muscle storage.
Ive tried AP, but none of the others...I dont know, maybe I was eating enough carbs or had the timing off, but it never did much for me. Tried it twice too.. :(

KgTomCat

KgTomCat

Awards
  • Established
because of this I don't believe the hype in the 'nutrition partioners'

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
because of this I don't believe the hype in the 'nutrition partioners'
That sucks, I notice a huge difference and my wife cut weight lke crazy on it while building some quality mass. Have you tried Vanadyl Sulfate? Much cheaper and may work for you, it uses a slightly different function than berberine does. Perhaps you might respond to that. I use that during my berberine down times.

KgTomCat

KgTomCat

Awards
  • Established
That sucks, I notice a huge difference and my wife cut weight lke crazy on it while building some quality mass. Have you tried Vanadyl Sulfate? Much cheaper and may work for you, it uses a slightly different function than berberine does. Perhaps you might respond to that. I use that during my berberine down times.
never heard of it, honestly I'm more of an "old school" when it comes to diet/nutrition...but Im open to new things lol

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
never heard of it, honestly I'm more of an "old school" when it comes to diet/nutrition...but Im open to new things lol
In that case depending on the goal, I would have only complex for cutting and a mixture of both high GI carbs & complex carbs when bulking in a 40%/60% mix, for recomp a 25-30%/75-70% mix of simple and complex. Vanadyl is an insulin mimicker that activates your muscles to intake nutrients. It is pretty old school actually. Has been around for many years in bodybuilding.

KgTomCat

KgTomCat

Awards
  • Established
In that case depending on the goal, I would have only complex for cutting and a mixture of both high GI carbs & complex carbs when bulking in a 40%/60% mix, for recomp a 25-30%/75-70% mix of simple and complex. Vanadyl is an insulin mimicker that activates your muscles to intake nutrients. It is pretty old school actually. Has been around for many years in bodybuilding.
then I might have to try that out, thanks man!...tomorrow I start fasted training, should I have my daily intake of carbs post WO (100) or only have the usual amount and spread the rest throughout the day like I usually would...

for example..when I used to lift in the afternoon I would have carbs every 2-3 hours to keep my metabolism working, but now that Im going to be lifting first thing in the a.m. should I have all of them post WO and none the rest of the day or just have 50g post WO then the other 50g spread throughout the day..?

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
then I might have to try that out, thanks man!...tomorrow I start fasted training, should I have my daily intake of carbs post WO (100) or only have the usual amount and spread the rest throughout the day like I usually would...

for example..when I used to lift in the afternoon I would have carbs every 2-3 hours to keep my metabolism working, but now that Im going to be lifting first thing in the a.m. should I have all of them post WO and none the rest of the day or just have 50g post WO then the other 50g spread throughout the day..?
Depends on your nutritional ratios, If taking in 200 a day I would do 100 post and then 50 next and 25 & 25 or 100, 50 50 then none the rest of the day.

KgTomCat

KgTomCat

Awards
  • Established
Depends on your nutritional ratios, If taking in 200 a day I would do 100 post and then 50 next and 25 & 25 or 100, 50 50 then none the rest of the day.
this week is 100g...so 50 post WO then 25&25 later?

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
KgTomCat

KgTomCat

Awards
  • Established
Yeah that would probably do you pretty well.
Im doing 50g/30g/15g...I figure Ill be over due to veggies or other trace carbs. Im looking into T3 for the summer...you tried T3?..Im still researching so nothing is set in stone

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Im doing 50g/30g/15g...I figure Ill be over due to veggies or other trace carbs. Im looking into T3 for the summer...you tried T3?..Im still researching so nothing is set in stone
No I haven't tried that. I am looking into DCP, the ingredients in it are pretty good. I love the salvia miltiazorah or however you spell the last part of it. I used it when it was available in bulk at NP.

KgTomCat

KgTomCat

Awards
  • Established
Ive heard good things about DCP..now DNP, thats where its at :rofl:

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
KgTomCat

KgTomCat

Awards
  • Established
haha...Im stuck man, I dont know what to do...raise clen? drop clen and start ECA? Lower carbs and raise fats? Lower both and raise protein? Im getting frustrated