Diuretic cycles

MF210

MF210

Awards
  • Established
I've tried multiple searches and can't find any sticky's or sensible pre-contest diuretic cycles. Can anybody point me in the right direction? I have some furosemide, but that is a hard core compound and I want to be carefull. My buddy ended up in the hospital from a potassium deficiency due to diuretics.

MF210

MF210

Awards
  • Established
Bump! I'm surprised I can't find any general info on diuretics with my search. Just wondering which ones are popular prior to a show, and how long you should take them.

Would one pill of furosemide per day for 7 days prior to a show do the trick?

MF210

MF210

Awards
  • Established
I just found this blurb from BigCat after a google search. This helps some and some may find useful.

"Furosemide / Lasix Stacking and Use:

Since its so harmful and potentially lifethreatening, furosemide should only be used the last 4-7 days leading up to a contest, with around 20 mg a day, 40 mg at the very most. If a stronger effect is needed, additioning a milder diuretic is advised. 50 mg of spironolactone or hydrochlorthiazide, which are potassium sparing diuretics, will usually do the trick. Adding a potassium supplement to furosemide is wise, 1500-3000 mg daily normally. This keeps electrolytes somewhat in balance and helps prevent the worst of side effects such as nausea, dizziness and cramping. There isn't much use for ancillary drugs with furosemide otherwise. Its an anti-hypertensive in itself, so it could offer relief after a dieting period with ephedrine, clenbuterol and high dose androgens. One should always take care to replenish his water and salt intake after use is discontinued.

Many users will note a very distinct bloating after discontinuing the product, sometimes to the point where everyday movement is near impossible. During the use of this product extremely heavy and painful cramps can occur, as well as Diarrhea, dehydration, dry mouth, dizziness and nausea.

If the injectable is used, make sure its out of necessity. Otherwise I would caution you to stay away from it. If you do, a small amount injected into a vein will have an impact within minutes. Make sure you addition some potassium to it immediately, and have someone watching your back at all times. Keeping a shot of epinephrine handy just in case is not being overly cautious."

MF210

MF210

Awards
  • Established
Here is another post I found that gives a decent furosemide / water consumption recommendation prior to competition for those who are interested:

"O.k assumeing you have either 25 or 50 mg pills and your and carb loading and water restrictions go well
you should take one pill thursday night around 6 p.m another pill
around 10 .on friday 400mg's of potassium and one more around 6 p.m Friday night along with 400mgs of potassium. Remember there is no water in fat if your diet is off to much laxis
will make you look flat,by pulling water out of your muscle. you should drink 1/2 gallon of water on weds. and sips of water on thursday with meals and only sips on friday until 12 p.m. on friday
and no water on saturday until right before prejudgeing and then only a few sips to refresh you before takeing stage. your carb loading is very inportant try and eat dry carbs, potato's, granola,and rice cakes they will help dry you out. Also thermo drinks work well before prejudgeing because caffine is a natural
diuretic and they contain Niacin for a little added vascularity.and your body should lose that before the night show."

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
Lasix is some pretty potent stuff. And remember, you're not just losing water; you're losing other nutrients too, such as sodium. I would go for natural diuretics vs. medicinal diuretics. And remember that muscle is mostly water by weight, so if you lose too much water too fast, you'll deflate.

Tip: The more water you drink, the less water your body is apt to retain. If you're drinking minimal amounts of water, your body will hold on to as much as it can. If you're drinking a lot, they body doesn't need to retain as much; as if it knows it's regularly getting enough.

I'm an RN by the way, so I have to say this. ;)

MF210

MF210

Awards
  • Established
Lasix is some pretty potent stuff. And remember, you're not just losing water; you're losing other nutrients too, such as sodium. I would go for natural diuretics vs. medicinal diuretics. And remember that muscle is mostly water by weight, so if you lose too much water too fast, you'll deflate.

Tip: The more water you drink, the less water your body is apt to retain. If you're drinking minimal amounts of water, your body will hold on to as much as it can. If you're drinking a lot, they body doesn't need to retain as much; as if it knows it's regularly getting enough.

I'm an RN by the way, so I have to say this. ;)
I've read the same thing about how your body will be less likely to retain water, the more you drink. I'm not sure I fully agree with that though. If that were really the case, bodybuilders would increase their water intake 3-4 days prior to a show rather than restrict their intake. Right?

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
I've read the same thing about how your body will be less likely to retain water, the more you drink. I'm not sure I fully agree with that though. If that were really the case, bodybuilders would increase their water intake 3-4 days prior to a show rather than restrict their intake. Right?
No, here is the science behind it if I remember correctly from my bio classes.
When you increase your water and sodium intake your body inhibits a hormone called Aldosterone, which has a diuretic effect. Before a competition you cut your salt a few days out but keep your water levels high, this tricks the body and starts a dehydration process to excrete the extra water from under your skin and other sources. Now I am not sure exactly how bodybuilders do the next part, but for someone trying to make a weight class they will cut their fluids also 24 hours before a weigh in, which prevents any fluid from coming in but still flushes your system because your hormones are still creating the diuretic effect in your body. I believe with bodybuilding you would minimize fluids and carb up before the show but I am not sure about that one. Other things you can try before the show would be epsom salt baths as well as using a supplement like glycerin to pull water into the muscles.

MF210

MF210

Awards
  • Established
When you increase your water and sodium intake your body inhibits a hormone called Aldosterone, which has a diuretic effect. Before a competition you cut your salt a few days out but keep your water levels high, this tricks the body and starts a dehydration process to excrete the extra water from under your skin and other sources. Now I am not sure exactly how bodybuilders do the next part, but for someone trying to make a weight class they will cut their fluids also 24 hours before a weigh in, which prevents any fluid from coming in but still flushes your system because your hormones are still creating the diuretic effect in your body. I believe with bodybuilding you would minimize fluids and carb up before the show but I am not sure about that one. Other things you can try before the show would be epsom salt baths as well as using a supplement like glycerin to pull water into the muscles.
My point exactly, everything you said at first makes sense, but conflicts 100% with precontest water consumption. Makes it frustrating b/c I don't know which is right with all this mixed bs

DT5

Awards
  • Established
they do

MF210

MF210

Awards
  • Established
You're kind of right. I did a little more research on pre contest water intake and it appears there is a water loading period during the last week, but I guess where I got confused is the day before the contest, water consumption should be eliminated (or minimal sips as needed).

I guess it makes sense though.....by loading water during the last week, you enhance your body's ability to shed water. Then after it is in water shed mode, you cut out all fluids 18 to 24 hours prior to the show and it will continue flushing water, without replenishing it.

I think I'm getting it now. Thanks for the replies.

atjnutrition2

Awards
  • Established
subbed...did furosemide before a show last year and felt like complete sh@@.

MF210

MF210

Awards
  • Established
subbed...did furosemide before a show last year and felt like complete sh@@.
Did you cycle your water right and dose correctly? That drug is very potent, so you need to be very precise.

Hell, I've never even done it and am trying to research inside and out before I try it.

atjnutrition2

Awards
  • Established
No, I didn't do cycle water correctly. It was my first experience with it and my first show....I honestly could/should have done more research. I'm just over 5 weeks out from my next show and haven't decided if I'm going to use it again.

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
I guess it depends on the bodybuilder and what they think is the best thing to do. I know for a fact that some top bodybuilders don't like the idea of restricting water just prior to a show. But then again, competition bodybuilding really isn't my thing.

I like to try to break it down from a physiological standpoint. As a general rule of thumb, the body likes to stay as efficient as possible at all times. The first day of physiology class usually hits on homeostasis just because almost everything revolves around that concept of balance. So if you're not drinking a lot of water, your body wants to hold on to it, if you're drinking plenty, the body doesn't really "need" to do this anymore.

The body likes to keep everything in balance as much as it can. This is why trying to increase muscle mass is so damned hard! It's because the body doesn't "need" to get bigger! That's why you have to make it :D

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
I remember studying that! Fun times ;)

MF210

MF210

Awards
  • Established
No, I didn't do cycle water correctly. It was my first experience with it and my first show....I honestly could/should have done more research. I'm just over 5 weeks out from my next show and haven't decided if I'm going to use it again.
If you felt like crap last time, maybe you could try the water loading approach this time. I read something that said to drink 6-7 liters 3 days out, 7-8 liters 2 days out, and 8-9 liters the day before (but to have them finished by 7:00 pm....then just sip water until the contest the following day. You could try that and keep a very close eye on your posing to see how your body responds.

Whatever you decide, you should try something different than last time if it didn't work for you. Best of luck to you.

conwict

conwict

Awards
  • Established
I think a lot of the association between AAS and diuretics has to do with fooling anti-doping tests...I know some bodybuilders use diuretics, but I don't see how Rx-grade diuretics are necessary honestly. I really think it might be a misconception, but there aren't a lot of articles out there on "How to use diuretics to beat high-level drug testing" for, well, obvious reasons. I still think that's the primary use though.

Quinc

Quinc

Awards
  • Established
Working at max muscle during a big show "Nevada state" i learned from a few different people what techniques they used.
Example 1. Drank a medium bottle of Jack the day before the show. His reasoning was that when he droped water he was flat but when he kept his fluids up he looked great. It worked for him he looked awesome.

Example 2. Drank 2.5 gallons of water a day with no salt then droped all water completly 24hrs before the show. this goes with what pmiller said.

Example 3. Me, I used otc diruetic, potassium and magneasium pills and droped all salt intake 2 weeks out. One week out i did; monday 2.5 gallons, tuesday 2 gallons, wednesday 1.5 gallons, thursday 1 gallon friday .5 gallon taking my last drink before noon. saturday (show) zero. (which makes peeing in a cup extremely difficult if your in a natural show.) However if your not lean to began with then dropping water aint going to help.

Anyway i was talking to another guy and i cant remember what the drug is called but he said he shoots it into his quad and within 5 minutes he will pee's out 20oz+ of water and he knows hes dry when blood comes out. He possibly could have been talking ****.. but if its a legit drug you should use it :D