what formual do you use to firgure out, how may week to start preocnest?

IRON4LIFE

IRON4LIFE

Awards
  • Established
Just found this...might be worth reading

Most bodybuilders start their pre-contest diets at about 12 weeks out. However, the amount of time it takes to prepare for a competition depends on your body fat level to begin with. I’ve developed a pretty good system for figuring out exactly how long you’ll need to diet in order to come in for a perfect landing on the one day that counts. Check it out…

Some bodybuilders maintain low body fat (6-9%) all year because they have fast metabolisms and they’re naturally lean (ectomorph) types (or they intentionally stay lean because they are models or it’s their personal preference). In this case, it may only take 8-10 weeks or less to get ready.

~Bodybuilders who have slower metabolisms and endomorph body types often start their contest prep with body fat in the 10-13% range. That usually takes about 12-16 weeks to get ready.

An easy way to estimate the required time for dieting is to choose a target body fat percentage (usually 3-5% for men), then subtract that from your current body fat percentage to see how much you have to lose. If you are 10.5% body fat and your goal for contest day is 3.5%, then you have to shed 7% body fat.

Next, based on losing 0.5% (1/2%) body fat per week, divide that weekly fat loss target by the amount of fat you have to lose (7% divided by 0.5% per week = 14 weeks of dieting to reach 3.5%).

Finally, add one week because the final week before the show is not for losing fat, it’s simply for taking care of your water and carbing up. If you still have body fat 7 days out, you screwed up. That makes 15 weeks total.

This is a conservative estimate. Many people can strip off 0.6%, 0.7% or even more body fat per week no problem, but I prefer to lose fat slowly and to include a fudge factor by allowing more time than necessary. I’d rather be ready too soon than scrambling at the last minute.
~Tom Venuto, CSCS, CPT~

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
That sounds like a pretty good write up.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just found this...might be worth reading

Most bodybuilders start their pre-contest diets at about 12 weeks out. However, the amount of time it takes to prepare for a competition depends on your body fat level to begin with. I’ve developed a pretty good system for figuring out exactly how long you’ll need to diet in order to come in for a perfect landing on the one day that counts. Check it out…

Some bodybuilders maintain low body fat (6-9%) all year because they have fast metabolisms and they’re naturally lean (ectomorph) types (or they intentionally stay lean because they are models or it’s their personal preference). In this case, it may only take 8-10 weeks or less to get ready.

~Bodybuilders who have slower metabolisms and endomorph body types often start their contest prep with body fat in the 10-13% range. That usually takes about 12-16 weeks to get ready.

An easy way to estimate the required time for dieting is to choose a target body fat percentage (usually 3-5% for men), then subtract that from your current body fat percentage to see how much you have to lose. If you are 10.5% body fat and your goal for contest day is 3.5%, then you have to shed 7% body fat.

Next, based on losing 0.5% (1/2%) body fat per week, divide that weekly fat loss target by the amount of fat you have to lose (7% divided by 0.5% per week = 14 weeks of dieting to reach 3.5%).

Finally, add one week because the final week before the show is not for losing fat, it’s simply for taking care of your water and carbing up. If you still have body fat 7 days out, you screwed up. That makes 15 weeks total.

This is a conservative estimate. Many people can strip off 0.6%, 0.7% or even more body fat per week no problem, but I prefer to lose fat slowly and to include a fudge factor by allowing more time than necessary. I’d rather be ready too soon than scrambling at the last minute.
~Tom Venuto, CSCS, CPT~
Endomorphs who naturally walk around at 10-13% BF. I wished I were that kind of endomorph.

Brolic

Brolic

Banned
Awards
  • Established
so lets say mt boy wants to be 220 on stage and your 260-265 in the offseason... and he has a fast metabolisms

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
so lets say mt boy wants to be 220 on stage and your 260-265 in the offseason... and he has a fast metabolisms
40lbs-45lbs cut, oh-naturale, better start early.

Brolic

Brolic

Banned
Awards
  • Established
40lbs-45lbs cut, oh-naturale, better start early.
hes not natty.. i know he has never cut before.. He will polly use a burner, but hes etco like me too. i told him 16weeks.. just looking help, to help him.

i just did his math.. 20%/.5% = 34 weeks... i used 20% bc i know his around 16-18. so just to BE SAFE, i use 20.

he wants to run a winter bulk cycle soon,

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
double s Supplements 15
Brolic Nutrition / Health 5