Stats
    6'2"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Legacyfighter View Post
    Weight: 194.0

Top Sets:

Pull-ups: 10lbx12
    Pull-ups (giant set): 17=9,4,4
    DB Rows: 45x20

Really solid workout today. Numbers are up from last time, and Bodyweight is down. Both good things. I was getting a good stretch and contraction during all my sets. Bicep pump was less today, so more stress on lats. Great overall workout today.

So I had a nice 2.5lb jump after my cheat meal yesterday. Looking forward to another cheat meal today. Then strict dieting for a few days. This may sound crazy, but right now I don't think I want anymore cheat meals. I like having the structure of a strict diet, plus the day after a cheat meal I look like crap. I know its better that I do this so I don't drop weight too fast, and maybe even put on some muscle mass, but its still messing with my mind.
    im the exact same way man! After i have a cheat meal and gained some back, i feel like utter ****..Even though its supposed to increase your leptin levels. I mentally refuse to believe its doing me good, when it possibly is.... lol

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by NoLimitz

im the exact same way man! After i have a cheat meal and gained some back, i feel like utter ****..Even though its supposed to increase your leptin levels. I mentally refuse to believe its doing me good, when it possibly is.... lol
    There is no doubt in my mind that I need it, because I was losing weight way too fast. But it just looks like I'm starting to regress after a cheat meal. Oh well, mind games are mine to win.
    Need2 Transformation Progress http://anabolicminds.com/forum/needtobuildmuscle-mrsupps/167648-legacyfighters-needtobuildmuscle-contest.html
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

Weight: 195.6

Top Sets:

Calf Machine: 140x25
    Upright Row: 90x18
    DB Curl: 35x12

Pretty ridiculous volume today. Everything got so freaking pumped. My calves were on fire after one set. Shoulders had a very nice pump, and biceps got almost too pumped. Had to let the blood drain out of my biceps between sets. New vascularity appearing in calves and biceps.
    Need2 Transformation Progress http://anabolicminds.com/forum/needtobuildmuscle-mrsupps/167648-legacyfighters-needtobuildmuscle-contest.html
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  220 lbs.

Now, i got a quick question for you. I've always trained with drop sets/ super sets. high volume, usually 15-10 reps for 4-5 sets. Been training like that for about a year. I just now switched it up to 5-10 reps with 2-3min rest. Lifting heavier. As i am currently cutting and going for strength. I dont really like strength training as much, so i was wondering is it that important to switch up the "type" (Hypertrophy/Strength) of routine every 3 months per say? Because when training hypertrophy before, i always switched up Exercises, Reps, Tempo, Rest. Etc.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  220 lbs.

just lookin for your opinion on this
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

Honestly for me I would say even more often than that. I would do a month of high volume, followed by a month of moderate volume moderate intensity, followed by a month of lower volume and high intensity. Then start back at the top. Ideally that's the way I would do things. When you start back at the beginning of your new 3 month training cycle you should be doing more weight or slightly more volume, or both even. Always try to progress from training cycle to training cycle.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  220 lbs.

Honestly for me I would say even more often than that. I would do a month of high volume, followed by a month of moderate volume moderate intensity, followed by a month of lower volume and high intensity. Then start back at the top. Ideally that's the way I would do things. When you start back at the beginning of your new 3 month training cycle you should be doing more weight or slightly more volume, or both even. Always try to progress from training cycle to training cycle.
    Ay well that makes sense, switching it up every month pretty much? so Low Volume, High intensity. What are your rest times for this? 2-3min? Then moderate is 1-2min, then high volume is 30-45 seconds?
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by NoLimitz

Ay well that makes sense, switching it up every month pretty much? so Low Volume, High intensity. What are your rest times for this? 2-3min? Then moderate is 1-2min, then high volume is 30-45 seconds?
    1-3 minutes rest for everything. If you go with 30-45sec rest you will have to greatly decrease the amount if weight being used. This leads to a decreased training effect. Also, always stop a few reps shy of failure, this will also allow you to recover better between sets and get more overall volume.

So month one would be 3-4 sets of 10-15 reps. Month two 4-5 sets of 6-10 reps. Month three 5-6 sets of 3-5 reps. For every phase you will be using the max weight you can for that specific rep range. If you eat correctly, you will put on muscle. If you're not growing eat more. If you're not getting stronger, eat more.
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

Weight: 194.8

Weight has stabilized since my cheat meals. So I'm looking right at 5lbs fat loss total. We won't count the 191 because that was after low carb and holding little water. 5lbs is almost exactly where I want to be at this point. I've got 19 more pounds to lose and almost 14 weeks to do it in. Should be easy.

At this point I look bigger and leaner than when I started. Neither of those are a bad thing. Moving in the right direction. Sticking to the plan.
  10. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

Name:  ForumRunner_20120823_154827.png
Views: 118
Size:  208.4 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20120823_154848.png
Views: 122
Size:  227.2 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20120823_154911.png
Views: 120
Size:  217.9 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20120823_154934.png
Views: 120
Size:  233.4 KB

Here are the two weeks in pics. I'm roughly 14 weeks out of the competition. I feel like I'm a bit leaner and I look a bit bigger as well. I'm looking for a natural competition near the same time frame for extra practice.

Top Lifts today:
    Military: 110x18
    High incline DB Bench: 65x20
    OH Cable Re Ext: 125x15
    Incline DB Bench: 40x19
    OH EZ Ext: 60x13
    DB Bench: 45x15

Great workout today. Most numbers were way up, until the volume really started kicking my butt toward the end.
  11. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

Weight: 192.2

Top Sets:
    Deficit Deadlift: 325x10
    GM: 145x12
    Hack Squat: 235x20
    High Bar Squat: 235x15

All numbers went up today. Volume went up as well. By the end I was falling to the floor after each set. I didn't think I was going to make it through, but I did. This better pay off in the end.
  12. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  220 lbs.

hey when your counting your cals, do you count all carbs? I ask this because i have these tortillas that are:

80kcals
    8g protein
    18g carbs - 12g fiber
    3g fat

Now, this added up not including the -fiber is 131kcals.. but the package says 80, what do you do?

Also, are you using myfitnesspal for your diet?
  13. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

Honestly I don't really count calories. I count protein from meat, fats from nut butters and oils, and carbs from rice and sweet potatoes.

If I were you i would just subtract the fiber from the carbs.
  14. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

Yesterday

Weight: 194.4

Top Sets:
    DB Rows: 55x20
    DB Rows: 45x16
    Pulldowns: 105x17

This was another pretty high volume workout. My lats were dead by the end. I adjusted the technique a bit and it really seemed to take my biceps out.

Today I'm feeling pretty sick. Hoping its gone soon. We have a hurricane coming through, so a lot if gyms are closed today and tomorrow. I'm hoping I start feeling better by this afternoon and can get a lift in at some gym somewhere.
  15. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

Yesterday:

Weight: 196.4

Top Sets:

Smith Calf Raise: 230x20
    DB Upright Row: 35x16
    BB Curl: 65x14

This is the highest volume day yet. However the muscle groups are relatively small, so not anywhere near as bad as my leg day. Sweating like crazy by the end of the workout.

Today:

My calves are quite sore today. Biceps and shoulders feel pretty good. I'm almost over this cold I think. It started to move down in my chest yesterday. I got a lot of that crap out and I feel quite a bit better today.

Today I get an entire day of clean cheating. I'm quite happy about that. However, the 10 days following will be very strict, no cheat meals. Next time I post pics I should be in the 180s...
  16. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

Just found another show on Nov. 10th. Planning on doing both shows. The Nov 10th one is an NGA natural show. The weight classes are a bit different. The plan for that one is to come in at 180 in the middle of light heavies. Then 176 for the NPC show two weeks later.

So right now I'm 11 weeks out of my first comp. I'm getting stoked
  17. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  220 lbs.

Yesterday:

Weight: 196.4

Top Sets:

Smith Calf Raise: 230x20
    DB Upright Row: 35x16
    BB Curl: 65x14

This is the highest volume day yet. However the muscle groups are relatively small, so not anywhere near as bad as my leg day. Sweating like crazy by the end of the workout.

Today:

My calves are quite sore today. Biceps and shoulders feel pretty good. I'm almost over this cold I think. It started to move down in my chest yesterday. I got a lot of that crap out and I feel quite a bit better today.

Today I get an entire day of clean cheating. I'm quite happy about that. However, the 10 days following will be very strict, no cheat meals. Next time I post pics I should be in the 180s...
    Cant wait to see progression, keep on pushin it bro!
  18. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

Yesterday I was still recovering from being sick (almost completely over it now) so I got to have a clean cheat all day. I consumed right around 4000 clean calories.

Today

Weight:195.2

DB Bench: 95x16
    DB Bench: 80x14
    Cable Tri Ext: 130x20
    Pushups: BWx17
    Body Skulls: BWx21
    Incline DB Bench: 40x13...

So much volume and pretty high intensity as well. My triceps are dead. I couldn't even feel them during the last few sets, it was like they were numb... Awesome workout.
  19. PNC
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.

dude if your are going to compete you shouldnt be going up, maybe a pound or 2 following a high carb day but just being honest you don't look 11 weeks out, you look closer to 15 weeks. i promote a natural bb show and natty shows are about conditioning and if you dont have shredded glutes your not in true contest shape.
  20. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by PNC
    dude if your are going to compete you shouldnt be going up, maybe a pound or 2 following a high carb day but just being honest you don't look 11 weeks out, you look closer to 15 weeks. i promote a natural bb show and natty shows are about conditioning and if you don't have shredded glutes your not in true contest shape.
    Keep following along, I think I'll surprise you. Since I've decided to do this contest a few weeks before the other, we will be getting more aggressive. Again, good things to come.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the only going up a pound or two after carb ups... It's all about how depleted your glycogen stores are before the carb up. If I happened to have a lot of sodium as well, obviously its going to add a bit more weight.

The plan is to drop 1.5 lbs a week. That's 16lbs. If its all fat I'm looking at 1% bf... Unrealistic, I'm hoping for 3%
  21. PNC
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.

sorry but you look like you are more than 16 lbs over contest weight , you look more like 25lbs but contest dieting isnt easy so best of luck either way.
  22. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

I'm at 10% bf at 194 lbs. That means 19.4lbs of body fat to be 0%. 25 lbs would be a significant loss of muscle mass.
  23. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

Top Lifts:

Sumo squat: 335x4 no bueno (form was off)
    Sumo Squat: 295x10
    Sumo squat: 245x12
    GM: 165x8

So much freaking volume today. I've been dreading this workout for the last five days... It hurt so good. Almost 20 sets total and finished in just over an hour. I thought the gym staff was going to have to clean me off the floor. It's not going to be easy to get out of bed in the morning.
  24. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

Weight 193.4

Pull-ups: 15lbsx12
    Giant Set Pull-ups: 10,5,5
    DB Rows: 50lbx20

Great back session today. I beat or tied all my reps from last time, and used more weight. Very nice pump in my lats, traps, and rhomboids. Almost no pump in my biceps. Exactly what I've been wanting. Still leaning out.
  25. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

Weight: 193.2

Top Sets:
    Calf machine: 145x27
    BB upright Rows: 95x15
    DB Curls: 40x12

Very very high volume today. My calves were on fire. I'm seeing better separation and vascularity in my calves. Upright rows took me a couple sets to get the right hand position, the first couple sets were bothering my shoulders. The delts are starting to get more separation. Biceps went well. Pump was solid all the way through and I swear my biceps look bigger than they sir when I started dieting, AND I've got new stretch marks to prove this. Things are going well so far.
  26. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

Weight: 192.0

Top sets:

Low deads: 335x8 grip issues
    GM: 155x10
    Hack squat: 245x17
    Squat: 245x10

Today I had to use a bar with almost no knurling. It seriously felt like a smooth bar. Grip was the limiting factor on deficit deadlifts. Hack squats went really well, but I had to shorten rest periods. Short rest periods really got to me during squats. I just died out. Another really solid session.

I'm looking pretty lean today. Serratus are starting to show even when not flexing. Things are comic.g together
  27. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

Weight: 190.2

Top Sets:

DB Rows: 60sx20
    DB Rows: 50sx17
    Pulldowns: 110x18

Another day of insane volume. Everything felt awesome. Great contractions, minimal bicep involvement. Weight is down and I'm looking leaner. 10 weeks out today. I've got a lot of progress to make yet, but I have no doubt that I will make it.
  28. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

bbing now? all over the place lol
  29. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

Yea, I've always wanted to do at least one Bodybuilding comp. You can learn so much about how your body reacts to diet and exercise when getting ready for a comp. That's the main reason I'm doing it. Plus all the volume is really going to set me up nicely when I decide to go back to powerlifting. My technique has gotten much better on squats because of BB'ing.

Once I finish with my competitions in November I'll be switching back to a powerlifting and Olympic lifting hybrid program. I'm hoping I don't catch the Bodybuilding bug and just want to continue doing that... I would rather be a strength/power athlete.
  30. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

Yesterday

Weight: 190.6

Top Lifts:

Smith Calves: 245x26
    DB upright Rows: 40sx20
    Cable curls: 110x14

Ridiculously high volume yet again. PRs across the board. Monster pump in my delts. Had some cool new vascularity wrapping all the way around my bicep and front of my shoulders. Still looking leaner.
  31. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

Today, 189.0

Today is the first day of my deload. Weight is right on track. Still have a long way to go in 10 weeks, but still feeling good about coming in at sub 4%
  32. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

Weighed in several hours earlier than normal, and ate a little later than normal last night. So my weight today most likely isn't very accurate.

Day 2 of deload felt great. Feels like I'm doing speed reps.
  33. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.

In for more
  34. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Legacyfighter
    I'm at 10% bf at 194 lbs. That means 19.4lbs of body fat to be 0%. 25 lbs would be a significant loss of muscle mass.
    You'd be surprised. Bf fluctuates a lot with water retention. I was looking at losing like 40 lbs. got my bf tested at 210 and was 9%. I ended up weighing 188 at weigh ins and was heavy.
  35. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

Oh yea, I definitely understand that. But ive been down around 5-6% bf before. Occassional carb ups and lots of water tend to give a bit better idea of actual bodyfat loss, if that makes sense. I could drop ten lbs in the next three days with strict carb and glycogen depletion.

Yesterday I weighed in at 189, but 3 of that is probably water so my real weight is around 192-193. I started off at 199 so 6-7 lbs of real weight loss is all that I would count
  36. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

Weight is holding right around 190 still. I have one day left of my deload then its back to smashing some real weights for a while. I'm freaking stoked about it. I'm set to drop another 10 lbs of body fat over the next 5 weeks. That should put me very close to contest shape. The 4 weeks after that is going to be getting those striations in the quads and glutes.
  37. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

Weight: 190.2

Top sets:

CG Bench: 225x8
    CG Bench: 185x14
    Bar Skull: BWx18
    CG Bench: 95x18
    Skull Crusher: 85x8
    Incline CG Bench: 115x13

Great workout today. Coming back hard after my deload week. Weights felt pretty light. Felt very strong. Excited about heavy legs tomorrow. Should be fun.
  38. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

Weight: 190.0

Top Sets:

Oly squat: 335x5
    Oly Squat: 295x8
    Oly squats: 245x13
    GM: 155x9

Not happy with my set ar 335, but I feel pretty good about everything else. Legs are starting to lean out more.
  39. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Read through you log. Not bad. You have good muscle structure on your legs. They should look beastly at 3%.

I didn't catch your show date. May of missed it. How far out are you?

On your cheats/ refeeds ( not really a refeeds at 200-250 carbs) what do you go for fats? Normally I am at 2200 cals but my carbs at 100-125 so I refers high carbs moderate fat moderate protein.
  40. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

Thanks for dropping in. My refeeds are only one meal and usually ill do a chicken or stk burrito or 2-3 bowls of cereal. Trying to stay around 25g of fat or less with those meals and around 200g of carb for the one meal.

Honestly I wish i had more time coming into this show. Im currently 9 weeks out. Lots of progress yet to make. Sitting at 9% bf. The goal is to drop 1 % a week for the next 5-6 weeks then slow it down a bit to get that last little bit of fat off.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Contest prep people in NJ or NY?
    By Atlas in forum General Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-16-2005, 04:25 PM
  2. IRserge's Contest prep
    By IRserge in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 120
    Last Post: 11-08-2005, 10:48 AM
  3. g/f contest prep
    By conan43 in forum Pics
    Replies: 8