Pre-contest diet, protein shakes??

anabolicscuba

Awards
I've been searching and searching for a good pre-contest diet and am a bit confused. Almost every single one has 2-3 protein shakes a day. I think this is fine except when you get close to the contest like 4-5 weeks out. I have heard seasoned bodybuilders over the years tell me you need to cut those shakes out to really get shredded and just do whole foods. Do you guys agree? How many drink protein shakes right up until the contest?

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
when it got closer I would try to eat more whole foods, but a good whey isolate is good to have around. I especially like using it pre and post workout. ISOFLEX is best IMO. You can also make it as a pudding for a quick snack, and craving reducer. Just try to get real foods in, because its hard to fight the hunger pains with just shakes.

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
Why? or why not? I see no problem with a high quality whey isolate. Some of us have a hard time stopping work to eat a meal. I am in the navy and that worked for me. We dont always work at a desk. I would have a whey isolate shake with natural peanut butter.

bboyflash

Awards
Just intra workout or one if I'm goin out at nite...

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
Just intra workout or one if I'm goin out at nite...
If I were you I would have one INTRA workout, and if you are going out at nite Pack a meal and a shake. This way you can eat the meal if possible and if youre out later than planned drink the shake with some almonds or an apple depending on calorie intake etc.

GrowthMan1

GrowthMan1

Awards
Why? or why not? I see no problem with a high quality whey isolate. Some of us have a hard time stopping work to eat a meal. I am in the navy and that worked for me. We dont always work at a desk. I would have a whey isolate shake with natural peanut butter.
It depends on what your goals are. If you are a competitive bb trying to be as big and lean as possible, no shakes...especially within the last 2 weeks of a show. Hany Rambod says shakes tend to make athletes flatter and stringier (that a word?)

For the weekend warrior trying to stay in good shape sure 2-3 shakes per day. Actually come to think of it by old roommate was a Natl level bb who lived on shakes so now I am contradicting my above comment.

I guess to each their own. I get small on shakes personally.

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
Oh no doubt whole food is best. I agree. Im just speaking in real life terms. Not everyone can be a Hany Rambod client and live by his terms nutritionally. I will be doing whole foods for my next prep except pre and post training. 6 whole food meals and one shake post workout. Pre will be PWO and BCAA etc.

GrowthMan1

GrowthMan1

Awards
Oh no doubt whole food is best. I agree. Im just speaking in real life terms. Not everyone can be a Hany Rambod client and live by his terms nutritionally. I will be doing whole foods for my next prep except pre and post training. 6 whole food meals and one shake post workout. Pre will be PWO and BCAA etc.
100% agree. "Not everyone can be a Hany Rambod client and live by his terms nutritionally."

Otherwise, everyone on this site would be an IFBB pro. :sly:

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
I agree. Of course he has a niche and an eye for these things. I am sure his nutritional knowledge is top notch too. However, I can study my own body and how it reacts to food too. Dennis wolf has done great with no GURU coaching him. I do sometimes need the motivation a trainer can bring.

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
What bodyfat percentage would one be at when they need to cut shakes to loose fat? Would it be more beneficial for me, (Im cutting right now) to have a tub of low fat cottage cheese before bed instead of a shake?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
honestly if you can eat solid food meals every 4-6 hours I don't see much need for a shake unless you work out fasted in the morning, and even then the shake is for some immediate post workout aminos while you are busy making that first meal.

thecatalyst

Awards
What bodyfat percentage would one be at when they need to cut shakes to loose fat? Would it be more beneficial for me, (Im cutting right now) to have a tub of low fat cottage cheese before bed instead of a shake?
if you are cutting dairy isnt really the way to go. Cottage cheese is eaten at night on most bulking diets. It is loaded with caseinate and doesnt break down very quick so it is a good snack before bed. I would opt for a shake and an EFA source like almonds.

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
I would eat cottage cheese with splenda and cinnamon all the time prepping for my last show, and it didnt hurt my conditioning at all. I understand this doesnt hold true for everyone, but it worked for me.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Honestly, you don't need to cut out shakes to lose bodyfat, even if preparing for a competition - as Layne says, "If your body tolerated the shakes during your diet, why would the final week be any different? Unless you're allergic to some of the fractions in these shakes (such as the beta-lactalbumins in whey), there's no reason not to continue drinking them." You're better off eating solid food, yeah, but shakes have their place re convenience, etc.. You can have cottage cheese or a shake pre-bed - whatever is your preference, honestly. There is a lot of general information out there and even if you use it as a "starting point" to create your own plan from re fat loss or contest preparation, you should always experiment to discover what works for YOU and then stick with it.

if you are cutting dairy isnt really the way to go. Cottage cheese is eaten at night on most bulking diets. It is loaded with caseinate and doesnt break down very quick so it is a good snack before bed. I would opt for a shake and an EFA source like almonds.
If one is lactose intolerant, then there are some dairy products that they are better off not consuming a lot of in general (if at all), but otherwise, there's nothing wrong with having dairy if aiming for fat loss, and it has been proven that two servings of dairy per day help you lose more fat than if you avoid it altogether (DiSilvestro, 2007).

~Rosie~

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
Along with Rosies Constant nuggets of truth, it was a welcome difference in taste and texture from my usual chicken, veggies, or lean steak or my breakfasts I had to rewarm up in the microwave and eat at work. My body tolerates it well. Wow, I am so starving rightnow. My last meal on the ship is coming up. Gotta go.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've been searching and searching for a good pre-contest diet and am a bit confused. Almost every single one has 2-3 protein shakes a day. I think this is fine except when you get close to the contest like 4-5 weeks out. I have heard seasoned bodybuilders over the years tell me you need to cut those shakes out to really get shredded and just do whole foods. Do you guys agree? How many drink protein shakes right up until the contest?
I still used shakes and had no problems. Sure whole foods are better but not always as accessible for consistency. As I get closer, I try to start replacing some of the shakes with amino acids and have some solid meals, but a protein shake still contains protein that the body can use.

GrowthMan1

GrowthMan1

Awards
Honestly, you don't need to cut out shakes to lose bodyfat, even if preparing for a competition - as Layne says, "If your body tolerated the shakes during your diet, why would the final week be any different? Unless you're allergic to some of the fractions in these shakes (such as the beta-lactalbumins in whey), there's no reason not to continue drinking them." You're better off eating solid food, yeah, but shakes have their place re convenience, etc.. You can have cottage cheese or a shake pre-bed - whatever is your preference, honestly. There is a lot of general information out there and even if you use it as a "starting point" to create your own plan from re fat loss or contest preparation, you should always experiment to discover what works for YOU and then stick with it.

If one is lactose intolerant, then there are some dairy products that they are better off not consuming a lot of in general (if at all), but otherwise, there's nothing wrong with having dairy if aiming for fat loss, and it has been proven that two servings of dairy per day help you lose more fat than if you avoid it altogether (DiSilvestro, 2007).

~Rosie~
Who is Layne, and what are his goals? Sorry...

GrowthMan1

GrowthMan1

Awards
I still used shakes and had no problems. Sure whole foods are better but not always as accessible for consistency. As I get closer, I try to start replacing some of the shakes with amino acids and have some solid meals, but a protein shake still contains protein that the body can use.
Had no problems with what?

GrowthMan1

GrowthMan1

Awards
I agree. Of course he has a niche and an eye for these things. I am sure his nutritional knowledge is top notch too. However, I can study my own body and how it reacts to food too. Dennis wolf has done great with no GURU coaching him. I do sometimes need the motivation a trainer can bring.
False. Dennis has worked with numerous coaches (Patrick Tour, Peter Trenz, Milos Sarcev, Chad Nicholls, just to name a few. Therefore, he has tried many different things before being able to know his body well enough to not use a "guru."

Not trying to be a **** here...my only point was that whole food proteins (lean meats, egg whites) are far superior to protein shakes (and now cottage cheese as mentioned above).

Then again, I don't know what your goals are, or anyone's for that matter. If the goal is to be as huge and lean as humanly possible there is no room for shakes/cottage cheese. For the novice bodybuilder trying to win a local show perhaps you can get away with these things. This is all just my .02 after working with a couple different IFBB pro's.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Who is Layne, and what are his goals? Sorry...
Are you serious?! Doctor Layne Norton - only one of the greatest natural Pro bodybuilders ever and a man who definitely knows what he's talking about!

~Rosie~

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Had no problems with what?
Dropping body fat and maintaining muscle mass for my competition prep.

... If the goal is to be as huge and lean as humanly possible there is no room for shakes/cottage cheese. For the novice bodybuilder trying to win a local show perhaps you can get away with these things. This is all just my .02 after working with a couple different IFBB pro's.
Not true. I workout with a pro and he has shakes all the time. Whole foods may be a slightly better source but protein is still protein that still breaks down into amino acids which are still utilized by the body in the same way regardless.

Are you serious?! Doctor Layne Norton - only one of the greatest natural Pro bodybuilders ever and a man who definitely knows what he's talking about!

~Rosie~
Agreed. Layne is one of the brightest bodybuilders in our sport. He is well accomplished not only in the scientific aspect but also in application.

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
Ok, but Dennis went back to working with NO ONE. Proof that Gurus CAN mess you up.
Kai greenes coach screwed him up by trying something different. anyway,
Their are other things at play besides nutrition competing to win a pro card or pro show.

and Layne Norton is who Layne is. He has a PHD pretty much, and is a huge voice in natural bodybuilding.

GrowthMan1

GrowthMan1

Awards
Dropping body fat and maintaining muscle mass for my competition prep.

Not true. I workout with a pro and he has shakes all the time. Whole foods may be a slightly better source but protein is still protein that still breaks down into amino acids which are still utilized by the body in the same way regardless.

Agreed. Layne is one of the brightest bodybuilders in our sport. He is well accomplished not only in the scientific aspect but also in application.
Good work bro. How did you do? First show?

Help me understand what is "not true?" Because the natural pro you worked out with drinks shakes? Does that discredit two different current IFBB pro's who coached me that whole foods were superior to shakes? No. If shakes work for you and Layne natural then great. For me, there is no way I would be able to bring enough mass onstage to do damage in a show by drinking shakes leading up to the show.

"Time after time, I have noted that the more shakes a bodybuilder drinks as opposed to consuming more whole-food meals, the flatter and softer his muscles appear to be. Every time I have an athlete stop drinking shakes and eat all whole food, it’s never long before he takes on a fuller and harder appearance."-Hany Rambod, Coach to Jay Cutler and Phil Heath, etc etc.

"A bodybuilder relying on multiple shakes per day in place of whole food will have a very different physique from one who eats more whole food. The natural digestion process is important and you can only get that with whole foods. Protein powders are broken down so much that they don't digest and get absorbed like food. It is better to add specific amino acid supplements to a meal than to replace a meal with a shake. However, if you are in a bind in the offseason, an occasional shake is fine and is far better than missing a meal."-Hany Rambod, that is coach to the current IFBB Mr. Olympia..

"There is no substitute for whole food. However, we don't live in a perfect world and because of work or family obligations, we may end up missing meals, which is an absolute no-no. In such situations, I allow shakes to be used. But aside from that, when you are dieting, would you rather have a protein shake made with water or a grilled chicken breast and sweet potato?"-Oscar Ardon, coach to many elite IFBB pro's (Orville Burke, Kai Greene)

(Myth)#1 Powders are better than food. Protein powders are easy to absorb, and absorption is an important part of the mass-building process. However, whole-food animal sources of protein, such as eggs, dairy, fowl, red meat and fish, have complete, though somewhat different, amino-acid profiles. Some are higher in certain amino acids than others, and this may be a reason why bodybuilders like Jay Cutler claim that serious mass can’t be built without red meat. Cutler tells FLEX, “When I exclude red meat, I can’t add the mass and grow like I do when I eat it daily and sometimes twice daily.” Is it the iron, B vitamins or creatine in the meat? Maybe. It’s also likely that the unique amino-acid combinations allow greater protein synthesis. For optimal mass gains, don’t succumb to living mainly on powders. Choose a wide variety of foods and include powders before and after workouts, and at times when convenience is essential. The variable amino-acid concentrations among different foods may exert unique effects on you that result in better growth, as opposed to sticking with one or two protein foods or a couple of foods and a protein powder.-Chris Aceto, trainer of multiple IFBB pro's

Sure, there are articles from Neil Hill and George Farah saying shakes are ok, but my .02 was the for ME, trying to become an NPC Superheavyweight at the national level, there is no way I can do that using shakes. Not much to disagree with here...Bodybuilding is individual, what works for you works for you...just my .02

Also, I am assuming everyone who says whole food diets are inferior to shakes has actually tried both, and not just speculating?

GrowthMan1

GrowthMan1

Awards
Ok, but Dennis went back to working with NO ONE. Proof that Gurus CAN mess you up.
Kai greenes coach screwed him up by trying something different. anyway,
Their are other things at play besides nutrition competing to win a pro card or pro show.

and Layne Norton is who Layne is. He has a PHD pretty much, and is a huge voice in natural bodybuilding.
and thats my bad...I didn't know we were talking about natural athletes..

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm about to start a pre contest diet (first show/natural). I plan on cutting out all shakes and my reason being - up until 3-4 months ago I would drink 3 shakes a day breakfast, post workout and one before bed. Due to insane protein prices I switch to 4 whole eggs 4oz meat for breakfast and 4-5 eggs and 1 and 1/2 cups cottage cheese before bed. I noticed with in a week I was thicker, fuller and stronger. I still drink WPI post workout but that's only because I do cardio and tan after weights, other wise I would run home and eat some steak and eggs. :) just my experience. I do not know the science about food and amino acids but I would choose food over protein shakes any day.

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
I also choose whole food over shakes. I am deployed on a ship, and room is an issue. I eat 4 food meals a day and 2 shakes. I am off season obviously and when I return to land will return to more cleaner whole food meals. I will eat 4-5 whole food meals and 1 shake or 2 pre and post training which will be WPI for the sake of quick absorption.
I do not disagree with you Gman, and am not trying to argue. I am just stating they have their place ie.. convienence and when in a bind. I cant wait to eat what a better diet, and have a real gym to go to. I also wish i could hit up some pharmacies in Thailand lol, but there is too much risk being navy and all. Hey growth, what is the price range of working with a pro?

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey cooky you like canned chicken? I know you said room Is an issue. I don't know how the navy gets mail to you sailers or if they even do but if you ever wanted me to send you a box of canned goods just holler lol

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
Dude, that would be a huge blessing. Canned Chicken or Canned tune in olive oil would be so awesome.

USS HOWARD DDG 83 ER DIV
FPO AP 96667-1274

I will return the favor any way I can.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Dude, that would be a huge blessing. Canned Chicken or Canned tune in olive oil would be so awesome.

USS HOWARD DDG 83 ER DIV
FPO AP 96667-1274

I will return the favor any way I can.
Can you e mail that to me - [email protected] Next time I'm at sam's club (I go twice a week) I'll get a good amount for u. I keep canned chicken / tuna in my squad and locker at work lol I hate missing a meal.

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
The e mail address isnt working. Its sending i back to me.

GrowthMan1

GrowthMan1

Awards
I also choose whole food over shakes. I am deployed on a ship, and room is an issue. I eat 4 food meals a day and 2 shakes. I am off season obviously and when I return to land will return to more cleaner whole food meals. I will eat 4-5 whole food meals and 1 shake or 2 pre and post training which will be WPI for the sake of quick absorption.
I do not disagree with you Gman, and am not trying to argue. I am just stating they have their place ie.. convienence and when in a bind. I cant wait to eat what a better diet, and have a real gym to go to. I also wish i could hit up some pharmacies in Thailand lol, but there is too much risk being navy and all. Hey growth, what is the price range of working with a pro?
Thank you for your service. It is much appreciated. Nothing taken as argumentative...I think this has been a healthy discussion.

The first pro (who won his ifbb pro card within the last few years), who is local, charges most everyone only $50/session, and requires a weekly visit precontest. The guy I am working with now lets me pay him as I can, generally $500 every coupld months.

To work with Hany--plan on spending between $5k-$8k. George Farah use to be a little more than half that. Down in your neck of the woods the best bang for the buck would probably be Charles Glass in Venice. I think Glass is less than a couple thousand for a complete prep. I love the Flex wheeler/Chris Cormier look he helped produce. Come to think of it in SoCal you have some of the best to pick from lol.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Dennis Wolf looks the best I've ever seen him this year at the Arnold and he does his own diet. But yeah it helps to have that third eye and motivation.

Back to the question: No shakes. Maybe intra/post workout to minimize catabolism but never as a meal. whole foods. IF you must have a shake for whatever reason then it's better than not getting in any nutrition but make it a quality whey isolate. I use Isopure.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
I would not use ISOPURE. They use a less effective way to filter the protein. ION EXCHANGE is not as effective as COLD CROSS FLOW MICROFILTERING. It gives you more bio availability of the protein. I would use ISOFLEX, By ALLMAX, or Gaspari INTRAPRO, NOW FOODS Isolate, SPECIES ISOLYZE, to name a few great ones. ISOFLEX is my favorite.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Allow me to first say, at this point, I hate Isopure. I've noticed exactly what you're talking about with less effective filtration. I'm interested in Isolyze. Thanks for the info on that too! Really didn't know much about the process.

NavyMuscle29

Awards
I would not use ISOPURE. They use a less effective way to filter the protein. ION EXCHANGE is not as effective as COLD CROSS FLOW MICROFILTERING. It gives you more bio availability of the protein. I would use ISOFLEX, By ALLMAX, or Gaspari INTRAPRO, NOW FOODS Isolate, SPECIES ISOLYZE, to name a few great ones. ISOFLEX is my favorite.
Syntrax Nectar all the way baby.. not sure what kind of filtration their "Promina Whey Isloate" goes through but their nutritional profile and taste is second to none. Its like cool-ade and mixes completely clear.

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
Navy, Syntrax is another good one. Youre right. Its delicious. I didnt think of all of them off the top of my head earlier. Im on deployment rightnow. I should order some nectar. Yum. Good stuff.

NavyMuscle29

Awards
Navy, Syntrax is another good one. Youre right. Its delicious. I didnt think of all of them off the top of my head earlier. Im on deployment rightnow. I should order some nectar. Yum. Good stuff.
Yeah, i just got 2 tubs of their twisted cherry last unrep.. I ordered 3 of their caesin too, and are exicted to try them.

As far as contest prep, i have done a couple shows and have always been told to lay off the shakes. As far as personal experience, i tend to notice a little water retention from caesin, not so much isolates.. i guess it could depend on the brand/additives as well.

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
True. I will minimize how many shakes i have next show. I will be on shore duty which will really help. I will try that one. Take care bro.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
a gram of protein from chicken yields 4 calories. a gram of protein from a shake yields 4 calories. Both break down into polypeptide chains of amino acids.

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
True, but there will always be the debate. You have the GURUS who say no to shakes, and have a self proclaimed IMO trained expert eye that says My client looks better because I fed him this diet etc. and you have those who can get away with shakes in their diet. I believe Genetics, and diet, and training regimen and rest etc have more to do with it than anything. I will try 4-5 whole food meals this time and one shake for post workout, and see how that goes for next years show. Otherwise the debate goes on....

Jacked.N.Tan

Jacked.N.Tan

Awards

~Rosie~
i wouldnt say one of the greatest. but his phd and writing reputation adds his "bodybuilding mystique"

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
He is the authourity on natural bodybuilding and bodybuilding nutrition. He has done powerlifting and bodybuilding and competed successfully in both. I would listen to him.

Jacked.N.Tan

Jacked.N.Tan

Awards
He is the authourity on natural bodybuilding and bodybuilding nutrition. He has done powerlifting and bodybuilding and competed successfully in both. I would listen to him.
lol he just made pro debut end of last year with 1 one top 3placing and hes already the authortiy of natural bbing? (not hating on layne)