Pre-contest diet, protein shakes??

Page 2 of 2 First 12

  1. Quote Originally Posted by Cooky32 View Post
    Dude, that would be a huge blessing. Canned Chicken or Canned tune in olive oil would be so awesome.

    USS HOWARD DDG 83 ER DIV
    FPO AP 96667-1274

    I will return the favor any way I can.
    Can you e mail that to me - [email protected] Next time I'm at sam's club (I go twice a week) I'll get a good amount for u. I keep canned chicken / tuna in my squad and locker at work lol I hate missing a meal.



  2. The e mail address isnt working. Its sending i back to me.
    •   
       


  3. Got it. Thanks so much.

  4. Quote Originally Posted by Cooky32 View Post
    I also choose whole food over shakes. I am deployed on a ship, and room is an issue. I eat 4 food meals a day and 2 shakes. I am off season obviously and when I return to land will return to more cleaner whole food meals. I will eat 4-5 whole food meals and 1 shake or 2 pre and post training which will be WPI for the sake of quick absorption.
    I do not disagree with you Gman, and am not trying to argue. I am just stating they have their place ie.. convienence and when in a bind. I cant wait to eat what a better diet, and have a real gym to go to. I also wish i could hit up some pharmacies in Thailand lol, but there is too much risk being navy and all. Hey growth, what is the price range of working with a pro?
    Thank you for your service. It is much appreciated. Nothing taken as argumentative...I think this has been a healthy discussion.

    The first pro (who won his ifbb pro card within the last few years), who is local, charges most everyone only $50/session, and requires a weekly visit precontest. The guy I am working with now lets me pay him as I can, generally $500 every coupld months.

    To work with Hany--plan on spending between $5k-$8k. George Farah use to be a little more than half that. Down in your neck of the woods the best bang for the buck would probably be Charles Glass in Venice. I think Glass is less than a couple thousand for a complete prep. I love the Flex wheeler/Chris Cormier look he helped produce. Come to think of it in SoCal you have some of the best to pick from lol.
    •   
       


  5. Thanks so much for the valuable info.

  6. Quote Originally Posted by Cooky32 View Post
    I agree. Of course he has a niche and an eye for these things. I am sure his nutritional knowledge is top notch too. However, I can study my own body and how it reacts to food too. Dennis wolf has done great with no GURU coaching him. I do sometimes need the motivation a trainer can bring.
    Dennis Wolf looks the best I've ever seen him this year at the Arnold and he does his own diet. But yeah it helps to have that third eye and motivation.

    Back to the question: No shakes. Maybe intra/post workout to minimize catabolism but never as a meal. whole foods. IF you must have a shake for whatever reason then it's better than not getting in any nutrition but make it a quality whey isolate. I use Isopure.
    By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, we create it. The nonexistent is whatever we have not sufficiently desired.
    Franz Kafka

  7. Quote Originally Posted by GrowthMan1 View Post
    Natural...what is that?
    LOL. It's a fallacy.
    By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, we create it. The nonexistent is whatever we have not sufficiently desired.
    Franz Kafka

  8. I would not use ISOPURE. They use a less effective way to filter the protein. ION EXCHANGE is not as effective as COLD CROSS FLOW MICROFILTERING. It gives you more bio availability of the protein. I would use ISOFLEX, By ALLMAX, or Gaspari INTRAPRO, NOW FOODS Isolate, SPECIES ISOLYZE, to name a few great ones. ISOFLEX is my favorite.

  9. Allow me to first say, at this point, I hate Isopure. I've noticed exactly what you're talking about with less effective filtration. I'm interested in Isolyze. Thanks for the info on that too! Really didn't know much about the process.
    By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, we create it. The nonexistent is whatever we have not sufficiently desired.
    Franz Kafka

  10. Just trying to help bro.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by Cooky32 View Post
    I would not use ISOPURE. They use a less effective way to filter the protein. ION EXCHANGE is not as effective as COLD CROSS FLOW MICROFILTERING. It gives you more bio availability of the protein. I would use ISOFLEX, By ALLMAX, or Gaspari INTRAPRO, NOW FOODS Isolate, SPECIES ISOLYZE, to name a few great ones. ISOFLEX is my favorite.
    Syntrax Nectar all the way baby.. not sure what kind of filtration their "Promina Whey Isloate" goes through but their nutritional profile and taste is second to none. Its like cool-ade and mixes completely clear.

  12. Navy, Syntrax is another good one. Youre right. Its delicious. I didnt think of all of them off the top of my head earlier. Im on deployment rightnow. I should order some nectar. Yum. Good stuff.

  13. Quote Originally Posted by Cooky32 View Post
    Navy, Syntrax is another good one. Youre right. Its delicious. I didnt think of all of them off the top of my head earlier. Im on deployment rightnow. I should order some nectar. Yum. Good stuff.
    Yeah, i just got 2 tubs of their twisted cherry last unrep.. I ordered 3 of their caesin too, and are exicted to try them.

    As far as contest prep, i have done a couple shows and have always been told to lay off the shakes. As far as personal experience, i tend to notice a little water retention from caesin, not so much isolates.. i guess it could depend on the brand/additives as well.

  14. True. I will minimize how many shakes i have next show. I will be on shore duty which will really help. I will try that one. Take care bro.

  15. a gram of protein from chicken yields 4 calories. a gram of protein from a shake yields 4 calories. Both break down into polypeptide chains of amino acids.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions rep

  16. True, but there will always be the debate. You have the GURUS who say no to shakes, and have a self proclaimed IMO trained expert eye that says My client looks better because I fed him this diet etc. and you have those who can get away with shakes in their diet. I believe Genetics, and diet, and training regimen and rest etc have more to do with it than anything. I will try 4-5 whole food meals this time and one shake for post workout, and see how that goes for next years show. Otherwise the debate goes on....

  17. Quote Originally Posted by Rosie Chee Scott View Post
    Are you serious?! Doctor Layne Norton - only one of the greatest natural Pro bodybuilders ever and a man who definitely knows what he's talking about!

    ~Rosie~
    i wouldnt say one of the greatest. but his phd and writing reputation adds his "bodybuilding mystique"

  18. He is the authourity on natural bodybuilding and bodybuilding nutrition. He has done powerlifting and bodybuilding and competed successfully in both. I would listen to him.

  19. Quote Originally Posted by Cooky32 View Post
    He is the authourity on natural bodybuilding and bodybuilding nutrition. He has done powerlifting and bodybuilding and competed successfully in both. I would listen to him.
    lol he just made pro debut end of last year with 1 one top 3placing and hes already the authortiy of natural bbing? (not hating on layne)

  20. Quote Originally Posted by Jacked.N.Tan View Post
    lol he just made pro debut end of last year with 1 one top 3placing and hes already the authortiy of natural bbing? (not hating on layne)
    He has a Ph.D (I believe it was either in protein metabolism or syntheses) AND is a natural pro. Whether he qualified last year or not is nominal. He has a wealth of education that he has personally backed up by practice in real life. It takes several years to build up to being where he's at in both educational accomplishments AND bodybuilding. Who else has done both and done them better?
    Serious Nutrition Solutions rep
  21. Smile


    Quote Originally Posted by kingjameskjf View Post
    He has a Ph.D (I believe it was either in protein metabolism or syntheses) AND is a natural pro. Whether he qualified last year or not is nominal. He has a wealth of education that he has personally backed up by practice in real life. It takes several years to build up to being where he's at in both educational accomplishments AND bodybuilding. Who else has done both and done them better?
    I may consider layne for my prep, but I would rather have someone who is there in person. I have no idea where he lives. He is the voice of natty bbing.
    I give many props to layne and his trusted educated opinion.

  22. Quote Originally Posted by Cooky32 View Post
    I may consider layne for my prep, but I would rather have someone who is there in person. I have no idea where he lives. He is the voice of natty bbing.
    I give many props to layne and his trusted educated opinion.
    Agreed! But apparently having a doctorate and being a Pro still isn't "good enough"
    He has great advice for contest prep but like you, I'd rather have a more subjective view from someone who can actually see me in more then just pictures and adjust as needed.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions rep

  23. as you know Contest prep is a stressful time, and having someone there to contact is so crucial. I have someone I call, but now I will be in Texas and he will be in Cali. I would like to see someone weekly or so who can really break it down to me, and adjust as needed. It would also be nice to have the motivator on down days lol.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-31-2009, 01:37 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-13-2009, 08:24 PM
  3. too many protein shakes per day
    By mircle in forum Bulking
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-25-2008, 09:49 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-30-2008, 01:05 AM
  5. Protein shakes
    By bassgirl in forum Supplements
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-21-2007, 04:48 PM
Log in
Log in