The Official Grass Fed Beef Thread

Customizer

Black Star Labs
Awards
It's like cows that swim :)

I've spoken at length in thermochat about the virtues of grass fed beef before but realized that many people certainly do not have access to it at their local market and many do not know where is the best place to purchase it online, so some thinking and a few conversations with my favorite supplier at this years Arnold Classic and voila, below is a copy of the email we will be sending out later this evening!

GRASS FED BEEF

Ask any strength coach worth his salt about diet and the first thing they do to drastically improve body composition and performance is to switch someone over to grass fed beef. Athletes and bodybuilders will notice near immediate benefits when converting to an exclusive grass fed diet over the traditional store bought (grain fed), and by benefits I am talking about increased muscle mass, strength and endurance while losing fat simultaneously. Think it’s too good to be true? Well you would be very wrong as grass fed cattle provide beef the way nature intended (high in Omega 3 and CLA) and will help to build the physique and athleticism that nature designed you for!

Unfortunately modern society coupled with government politics have provided our food supply with a highly inferior form of beef, namely beef derived from grain fed cows. Cows were never designed by nature to consume grains as the majority of their diet and when they do you have a host of unfortunate side effects like a highly skewed omega 3:6 ratio (in drastic favor of omega 6) and a near complete lack of CLA in the meat. Why is this the case you may ask? It all comes down to politics, lobbyists, and economics. It’s dirt cheap (literally) to let cows graze on grain all day versus a wide open field of grass to raise them on. Not only that but the cows also get extremely overweight and underlean on a grain based diet (the phrase “corn fed” takes on a new meaning!), great if you are in the business of selling meat but not so great if you are the one consuming it.

Fortunately some enterprising health conscious individuals have taken notice and started supplying beef strictly provided by grass fed cows, exactly the way nature originally intended! I was fortunate enough to bump into one such individual at this years’ Arnold Classic and while I had ordered frequently from his website before, we began discussing the idea of offering his fine products to our customers many of whom have heard me speak of the virtues of grass fed beef before (possibly in Thermochat) and while they were quite intrigued they were never quite sure where to obtain the product or how to determine the legitimacy of such items.

As I mentioned I spoke with the owner of Grass Land Beef, a great company based out of the beautiful wide open country in Monticello Missouri and we struck a great deal and worked this out to everyone’s benefit! We set up the affiliate link on the https://www.blackstarlabs.com/blackstarlabs_old/index.php homepage in the upper right hand corner of the site, when you click through our affiliate link to Grass Land Beef you may then use coupon “bears25” to receive an absolutely amazing 25% off your first order.

Note discount only applies to orders under 40 pounds
and excludes items on sale.

I was amazed at his generosity but was assured that repeat business is so high because once the quality of the product is witnessed by the consumer (did I mention it also tastes FAR superior to store bought beef?) repeat business is basically a given. Plus who doesn’t like to not have to wait in line at the butcher counter anymore (and for a highly inferior product to boot) when you can have the freshest lean cuts delivered on ice to your doorstep, easy as pie!!

We didn’t end the deal there though, I suggested to John he might consider bringing in ground grass fed bison, as well as bison and salmon jerky from the best farms he knows of and he agreed, just for us to bring these items in stock!

I urge you to give this a try and with the great prices Grassland already offers plus the 25% first order discount what have you got to lose except possibly a couple pounds of fat 

But remember, the first order 25% coupon code “bears25” will only work if you click through the affiliate link on the top of the https://www.blackstarlabs.com/blackstarlabs_old/index.php website.

But remember so there’s no questions later,

discount only applies to orders under 40 pounds
and excludes items on sale.

rysigpi

rysigpi

Awards
  • Established
I would love to try these....I just have a hard time swallowing 6 bucks a pound for 87% lean beef.....

Customizer

Black Star Labs
Awards
I hear ya but I always get the 75% since the fat content is high in omega 3 and CLA I'd rather have the 75 than the 87.

plus it is delivered to your door :dance:

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Great link Customizer. I am reeeeeaally sick of the quality of beef and poultry here in AZ. To make matters worse, it's getting harder and harder to get drawn for big game hunts here. I haven't had elk in my freezer for several years now.

zachattack43

zachattack43

Awards
DAMN IT DAVE!! I just might have to order from you again:D

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Great link Customizer. I am reeeeeaally sick of the quality of beef and poultry here in AZ. To make matters worse, it's getting harder and harder to get drawn for big game hunts here. I haven't had elk in my freezer for several years now.
Bioman is their anywhere on online to get good venison?

Aeternitatis

Aeternitatis

Awards
  • Established
Wow Dave! I'm impressed. Grassland Beef has been one of my favorite websites for years. I'm very happy to see you promoting them. :)

Lord knows how much I wish I had a big freezer!

envythahustla

Awards
After talking to Dave I think I'll order from this site soon.

GuyverX

GuyverX

Awards
  • Established
high compared to normal beef.
especially adding the handling cost.
but the way prices are going up anyway it might not be so bad.

I might order one of the 50 lb orders of beef.
that way I can stock up.

mad078

Awards
If I remeber right, cattle fed only grass taste a little gamey.

TheUnlikelyToad

TheUnlikelyToad

Awards
  • Established
high compared to normal beef.
especially adding the handling cost.
but the way prices are going up anyway it might not be so bad.

I might order one of the 50 lb orders of beef.
that way I can stock up.
Seafood is also expensive, this stuff has almost tha same amounts of Omega-3's as fish. It is also high in CLA. There is no doubt about it, you get what you pay for... quality stuff.

Members in general should educate themselves a bit before just writing this stuff off. It's definitely worth tha health benefits if you like beef.

Moo! :)

Cerberus

Awards
For those that care ...

75% Ground Beef
Serving Size: 28 grams (1oz)
Total Kcals: 83.9

Total Protein (g): 4.11
Total Fat (g): 7.49
  • Saturated Fat (g): 3.65
  • Unsaturated Fat (g): 3.84
  • CLA (g): .18
  • Omega-3 (g): .17
  • Omega 6 (g): .14
Mineral Content (g): .21

87% Ground Beef

Total Kcals: 54

Total Protein (g): 4.44
Total Fat (g): 4.02
  • Saturated Fat (g): 2.23
  • Unsaturated Fat (g): 1.8
  • CLA (g): .09
  • Omega-3 (g): .08
  • Omega 6 (g): .07
Mineral Content (g): .27

So, 1/2 lb of the 75% would yield:
671 kcals
33 g protein
60 g fat

Bulking anyone?

Customizer

Black Star Labs
Awards
i'm hungry after reading this :)

For those that care ...

75% Ground Beef
Total Kcals: 83.9

Total Protein (g): 4.11
Total Fat (g): 7.49
  • Saturated Fat (g): 3.65
  • Unsaturated Fat (g): 3.84
  • CLA (g): .18
  • Omega-3 (g): .17
  • Omega 6 (g): .14
Mineral Content (g): .21

87% Ground Beef

Total Kcals: 54

Total Protein (g): 4.44
Total Fat (g): 4.02
  • Saturated Fat (g): 2.23
  • Unsaturated Fat (g): 1.8
  • CLA (g): .09
  • Omega-3 (g): .08
  • Omega 6 (g): .07
Mineral Content (g): .27

So, 1/2 lb of the 75% would yield:
671 kcals
33 g protein
60 g fat

Bulking anyone?

envythahustla

Awards
I am about to place an order to try this stuff out. :thumbsup:

Edit - Would the George Foreman grill be acceptable with this stuff or should I use an actual grill?

TheUnlikelyToad

TheUnlikelyToad

Awards
  • Established
I am about to place an order to try this stuff out. :thumbsup:

Edit - Would the George Foreman grill be acceptable with this stuff or should I use an actual grill?
I wouldn't chance it personally, but obviously you could do it.

envythahustla

Awards
After talking with Dave today I ended up buying some of this stuff. That 25% off discount code really came in handy. :)

EESCHMan

Awards
  • Established
I was intrigued, so I went and bought some stuff...looking forward to some:

9oz tenderloin
london broil
87% ground beef
bison ground beef
beef jerky

also figured I'd try the Pemmican...not sure what to expect with that...

Thanks for the link!

envythahustla

Awards
I just received my order of 5 petite top sirloins and 8 lbs of 75% lean ground beef. Very prompt shipping and they seem to be reputable since I've talked to Dave about them.

Next time I will just buy 25 lbs of 75% lean ground beef.