Avant Research introduces the SuperCarb Baking Contest!!

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Hey y'all,

As most of you know, SuperCarb is probably the best overall source of carbohydrates out there. It's a suitable carb source for a variety of things, including bulking up, cutting down, carb loading for an athletic competition, and yep, even BAKING.

With the latter in mind, here's the deal-

We want you to create SuperCarb recipes that are tasty, innovative, and healthier than the "real" alternatives. Make SuperCarb brownies, SuperCarb cookies, SuperCarb jello, or whatever you think you can make work with SuperCarb. Hell, if you can pull off a SuperCarb pizza, do it.

Submit your SuperCarb recipes in this thread. You can submit only one recipe, so make sure it's your best one. You must state the step by step directions AND take pictures of the final product.

In addition, and this is VERY important, SuperCarb is your ONLY source of carbs for this contest, besides flour. Do NOT use any other carb source in your recipes, such as table sugar. You can also use zero calorie sweeteners to go along with SuperCarb.

Furthermore, if you submit the same recipe, ingredient for ingredient, as someone else, preference will be given to the original poster if it comes down to it. My advice- try not to submit the exact same thing as someone else.

Once everyone has created and submitted their recipes, we'll ask the public in a new thread to pick the top 3 most interesting recipes. Then, I'll take those top 3 recipes and recreate each one, using YOUR step by step directions (so make sure they're good). I'll then decide who the winner is via taste test.

The winner will receive $150 worth of free Avant Research supplements from us AND will gain a bit of notoriety by being mentioned in our SuperCarb Recipes blog(s) on our website in the future.

Oh, and if you've previously posted a SuperCarb recipe before, you can use it in this contest if you want to, as long as it meets the above qualifications.

Contest begins....

now!

Ask any questions you want.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
BTW, preference will be given to recipes using healthier flours.

Stay Puft

Stay Puft

Avant Research Guru
Awards
  • Established
Too many bro's here with no game in the kitchen -- coooome on?!?

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Ok guys, important announcement-

The deadline for recipes is Feb. 15.

After that, we'll pick finalists, then have the taste test.

rippedforce63

Awards
  • Established
Just got my tub of supercarb in the mail and I'll be stopping by Whole Foods on my way back from the gym. Just one question how proficient is the person duplicating the recipes in regards to culinary skills?

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Just got my tub of supercarb in the mail and I'll be stopping by Whole Foods on my way back from the gym. Just one question how proficient is the person duplicating the recipes in regards to culinary skills?
That's a good question. As far as I know, it will either be Tony or Caleb testing these for the contest so I'll bump this question for T.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Er, not very in my case, but I'll do my best.

And if I f*ck up, I'll do it again until I get it right. It's not fair to the contestant if I'm messing up.

That's why I need not only good step by step directions, but at least one pic of the final product so I know if it looks right.

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
scratched because i suck in the kitchen..lol

Last edited:

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Nice one. Look forward to the pic.

Actually, that does look pretty healthy.

And simple.

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
yea i am scratching it..it didnt turn out too well..the original recipe called for honey...i am sure someone could tweak it but i am def not that versatile in the kitchen..lol

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
i bet super carb and cookies and cream muscle milk would be delicious...does that count? :) if you blend some ice cubes it'd be a milkshake

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Ha! Well, er, if that's the best you can do, I suppose I'll allow it... :)

rippedforce63

Awards
  • Established
"Banana Ice Cream with peanut butter fudge chunks drizzled with caramel sauce and adorned with supercarb lace."

Banana Ice Cream
6 ripe bananas
1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
3/4 cup supercarb simple syrup
1 large vanilla bean or 1tbsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups heavy cream

Place bananas in freezer and freeze overnight. Remove bananas from freezer and allow to thaw. Peel bananas and place in bowl of food processor with the lemon juice. Process for 10 to 15 seconds. Add supercarb syrup and vanilla bean seeds and turn processor on. Pour in the heavy cream, process until smooth. Chill mixture in fridge for an 1 or 2. Transfer mixture to an ice cream make. Place mixture in an airtight container and freeze for 3 to 6 hours before serving.

Peanut butter fudge
Non-stick vegetable spray
1 cup milk
2 1/2 cups supercarb
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 ounces creamy peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Line an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with aluminum foil and lightly grease with vegetable spray. Put the milk and supercarb in a medium, heavy-bottomed saucepan fitted with a candy thermometer. Boil over medium heat, occasionally stirring to keep from sticking. Cook until the mixture reaches 240 degrees F. Remove from the heat and gently place the butter, peanut butter and vanilla in the pan, taking care not to disturb the syrup. Do not stir. Let the mixture cool down for 5 minutes, then beat vigorously with a spoon or the flat beater of a stationary mixer until dense and smooth. Turn the fudge into the prepared pan, spreading it evenly with a metal spatula. With a sharp knife, score into portions. Let set, 45 minutes then cut into 1 1/3-inch squares.

Caramel Sauce
2 cups supercarb
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup light cream

Combine the supercarb and water in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Cook, swirling the pot around, until the mixture is a deep caramel color and looks like syrup, about 8 minutes. Carefully pour in the cream (it will bubble up) and continue to cook for another minute. Cool to room temperature.

Supercarb Lace
1/2 cup supercarb
Melt 1/2 cup of supercarb until it reaches a light golden brown hue. Form doodads by holding the spoon 12 to 16 inches over the melted supercarb and drizzling the patterns on the parchment. (Hint: allow the spoon to unload into the pan for a few seconds before attempting doodad. This will allow a narrower stream.) Quick back and forth motions or side to side movements are best. It's all in the wrist. Allow doodads to cool for 15 minutes then peel the paper off.

Suck it Racheal Ray :burg::burg:

Attachments

Last edited:

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Whoa!! Rippedforce bringing it hardcore!

But what's "supercarb simple syrup"?

Also, which one do you want to officially submit for the contest? I'll post the others on the website when the time comes and give you credit, obviously, but only one submission per contestant.

rippedforce63

Awards
  • Established
Well I guess the banana ice cream although its going to be lacking the peanut butter fudge chunks if thats the only one counting. Supercarb simple syrup is 2/3 cup of supercarb and 1/3 cup water reduced down over a low flame till it reaches a corn syrup consistancy.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Oh ok, this is all one recipe? You put the fudge chunks in with the ice cream?

rippedforce63

Awards
  • Established
yeah I got the idea from the peanut butter and banana sandwiches I ate as a kid. But if you see the fudge as a seperate recipe I could substitute a 1/2 cup a natty peanut butter drizzled into the ice cream while in the mixer and it would have the same effect. Thats my bad I tend to think of the dish on a whole when I'm cooking and baking and don't break it down into its components. :food:

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Oh, no, that's fine. I thought they were separate recipes. It's no prob.

Just make sure it's as clear as possible that it's all one recipe, how to combine them all together, etc.

rippedforce63

Awards
  • Established
Oh yeah I guess I took it for granted that people might not know how to assemble the dish. Well once you break up the fudge into quarter size chunks you want to add them to the ice cream machine before you put it into the freezer. Once the ice cream freezes scoop it out onto a bowl and sprinkle with leftover fudge crumbled into little bits. Once caramel has cooled drizzle over top of ice cream and fudge and arrange lace however your artistic side desires. :study:

kitchenstud

kitchenstud

Awards
Super Nutritious Pumpkin Pie Alternative-

Sweet Potato and Roasted Banana Pie

White Wheat Crust:

1 Cup All Purpose Flour
1 Cup White Wheat Flour
1 stick(1 cup) Crisco Butter Flavored All vegetable shortening(preferably frozen)
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon Avant Research SuperCarb
Ice Cold Water
Egg whites

Pie Filling:
2 Bananas(roasted @ 350 for 40 minutes, simply spoon out the flesh when done)
2 medium sweet potatoes(wrapped in a foil pouch, roasted @ 350 for 2.5 hours- skin on, peel when done)
2teaspoon salt
1 cup SuperCarb
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 egg yolks(reserve the egg whites for the crust)
3 tablespoons Crisco butter flavored all vegetable shortening
1 1/4 cup Yogurt
2oz Package Pecan halves(broken into smaller peices and roasted at 350 for 6-7 minutes- until fragrant)

To make crust:

Start by measuring all dry ingredients into a bowl. Cut shortening into a small, slightly larger than pea sized dice(doesn?t have to be perfect)- add to flour mixture. Toss the shortening in the flour, then go through and smash the pieces flat between your thumb and index finger. You need to work quickly to prevent your shortening from softening- put your bowl with the mixture back into the fridge/freezer for a couple minutes if necessary. Start adding the ice cold water a few drips at a time. This is basically a ?3-2-1 pie dough, so you should need roughly 3-4oz of water, though that measurement is really pretty irrelevent- just add enough water to bring the dough together. Add the water while mixing the dough very gently with your hand. Once it comes together, stop. If you add a bit too much water, just add a little dusting of flour(happens all the time, not a big deal). At this point, throw your dough into the fridge for about 15 minutes to rest(and again, to make sure the shortening doesn?t soften).

Lightly flour a work surface, and turn your dough out onto it. Roll it out thin, and place it on top of your pie dish. Press the dough tightly into all the edges and cut at the top leaving an extra half an inch or so. Crimp the dough on the edges by hand or with a fork. Place back in the freezer for 10 minutes(I really can?t stress the importance of the fat being cold enough). Preheat your oven to 350. Cut a sheet of aluminum foil large enough to cover your pie dish. Fill it with dried beans or use pie weights if you have them. Bake for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, bump oven to 425, remove foil and weights, bake for 10 more minutes. After the 10 minutes, remove crust from oven and brush with egg white.

Make the filling:
Start by putting the roasted bananas and sweet potatoes in the bowl of an electric mixer(a food processor will also work) with 1/2 cup of the SuperCarb, and the rest of the dry ingredients. Use the whip attatchment and mix on high for several minutes, periodically scraping the sides down. Add the egg yolks, shortening, and the remainder of the Supercarb. Again, mix on high for a couple minutes, then add the yogurt and mix thoroughly. At this point, you can mix the toasted nuts into the filling, or just pour them into the pre baked pie crust first and pour the batter right on top(which is what I did).

Bake at 350 for 50-55 minutes. This is optional, but you can brush some more egg white over the crust and the filling when you pull it out of the oven- adds a nice sheen to everything(and a little more protein won?t hurt).

NOTE: The roasted sweet potatoes/bananas should be warm when you whip them, but not hot(could curdle the eggs). Also, if you?re in a hurry you can simply peel and boil the sweet potatoes. Its not imperative that the sweet potatoes are roasted, but the roasting of the banana is what really drives the flavor of the whole thing.

The ingredients, though I didn't actually use any splenda.

Thats how your shortening should look...

Properly pre baked crust should look something like that.

Final batter should look like that.

Theres the pie right from the oven.

There it is, cooled, cut and plated.

Btw, I suggest serving it somewhat warm, but its a whole lot easier to warm it up a slice at a time after its cooled. And I mean warm, not ooey gooey hot, though that probably wouldn't be too bad either.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
There was one guy who was going to try a cheesecake. If he's going to try it, I'll extend the deadline a little bit.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Ok guys, give me a day or two to compile the recipes into a new thread where everyone can vote on the top 2-3 finalists.