Supercarb - otential Renal Acid Load (PRAL) Score?

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'd assume this is not something that Avant Research has measured however I was curious if we had to make an educated guess where would Supercarb fall on the PRAL scoring system?

Bread average - 3.5
Flour average - 7.0
Noodles average - 6.7

I'd assume it would be close to the above however it could vary quite a bit even when you compare it to other low GI carb sources (brown rice vs wheat bread for example).

So my guess would be 3-7 on the PRAL scoring system. Other thoughts?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
SC is a fructose derivative, but IDK the PRAL score of that.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hmmm, perhaps then it could fall more along the lines of the fruit group. Which seems to be better and likely closer to a neutral score.

I am just planning a large carb up day and trying to keep the acidity of the day reasonable...

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hmmm, perhaps then it could fall more along the lines of the fruit group. Which seems to be better and likely closer to a neutral score.

I am just planning a large carb up day and trying to keep the acidity of the day reasonable...
Potatoes are alkalinic and Basmati rice has a low acidity level.

Stay Puft

Stay Puft

Avant Research Guru
Awards
  • Established
The PRAL formula
pral =
0.49 * protein (g) +
0.037 * phosphorus (mg) -
0.021 * potassium (mg) -
0.026 * magnesium (mg) -
0.013 * calcium (mg)

To the best of my knowledge, there are no significant amount of any of the above in SuperCarb making the PRAL score = 0. At worst the score is <0.25 IMO, due to trace minerals perhaps. Savage, this seem in accordance with the data you have?

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The PRAL formula
pral =
0.49 * protein (g) +
0.021 * potassium (mg) -
0.026 * magnesium (mg) -
0.013 * calcium (mg)

To the best of my knowledge, there are no significant amount of any of the above in SuperCarb making the PRAL score = 0. At worst the score is <0.25 IMO, due to trace minerals perhaps. Savage, this seem in accordance with the data you have?
Sweet info. I keep leaving my Supercarb at work! Need to remember to bring it home before my carb up.

Great equation though. It will be a very useful way to figure out PRAL on some of the unknowns in my diet.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
The PRAL formula
pral =
0.49 * protein (g) +
0.021 * potassium (mg) -
0.026 * magnesium (mg) -
0.013 * calcium (mg)

Yeah, I would think you're right.

There's no direct data on SuperCarb's PRAL in the literature (as far as I know).

There might be another way to test the pH of it, though- just dissolve it and get a pH strip.