Take IGF-2 If you are ever bitten by a cobra....

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Safed muslii in IGF-2 contains nominal amounts of beta-sitosterol and stigmasterol- so if you are ever bitten by a cobra, call AN!!!!
I think this will probably get "The Most Weird and Random Reference" award on pretty much any board- I was researching a new anabolic product and I happened to find this.....I think I kind of needed to take a little break :)

Viper and cobra venom neutralization by beta-sitosterol and stigmasterol isolated from the root extract of Pluchea indica Less. (Asteraceae).
Gomes A,
Saha A,
Chatterjee I,
Chakravarty AK.
Laboratory of Toxinology and Experimental Pharmacodynamics, Department of Physiology, University of Calcutta, 92, A.P.C. Road, Kolkata 700 009, India.
We reported previously that the methanolic root extract of the Indian medicinal plant Pluchea indica Less. (Asteraceae) could neutralize viper venom-induced action [Alam, M.I., Auddy, B., Gomes, A., 1996. Viper venom neutralization by Indian medicinal plant (Hemidesmus indicus and P. indica) root extracts. Phytother. Res. 10, 58-61]. The present study reports the neutralization of viper and cobra venom by beta-sitosterol and stigmasterol isolated from the root extract of P. indica Less. (Asteraceae). The active fraction (containing the major compound beta-sitosterol and the minor compound stigmasterol) was isolated and purified by silica gel column chromatography and the structure was determined using spectroscopic analysis (EIMS, (1)H NMR, (13)C NMR). Anti-snake venom activity was studied in experimental animals. The active fraction was found to significantly neutralize viper venom-induced lethal, hemorrhagic, defibrinogenation, edema and PLA(2) activity. Cobra venom-induced lethality, cardiotoxicity, neurotoxicity, respiratory changes and PLA(2) activity were also antagonized by the active component. It potentiated commercial snake venom antiserum action against venom-induced lethality in male albino mice. The active fraction could antagonize venom-induced changes in lipid peroxidation and superoxide dismutase activity. This study suggests that beta-sitosterol and stigmasterol may play an important role, along with antiserum, in neutralizing snake venom-induced actions.

Outside Backer

Outside Backer

Awards
  • Established
good thing too. I was almost boitten by a cobra here in SC last week ;)

i laff

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
good thing too. I was almost boitten by a cobra here in SC last week ;)

i laff
They got some weird stuff down in the low country-I once met a half-woman, half-dolphin in Georgetown......:)

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
So it does it only work for nuerotoxins or will it also work on hematoxins. When I do field biology, I often run a high risk of getting nailed by rattlers.

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
So it does it only work for nuerotoxins or will it also work on hematoxins. When I do field biology, I often run a high risk of getting nailed by rattlers.
Here ya go......

Cobra venom-induced lethality, cardiotoxicity, neurotoxicity, respiratory changes and PLA(2) activity were also antagonized by the active component.

Rattlers suck- some good friends of mine have a ranch near Safford- one of my friends got tagged by a Mojave rattler last year and almost died- nasty little boogers.......

My wife and I have a pond in our back yard, and we get about 5 copperheads a year.....I hit one by accident with the lawnmower the other day at my parents house.........he was pretty pissed

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I actually love snakes, just am realistic that if I get envenomated it's not going to be good because I'll probably be miles and miles from help and alone.

Mohave's are seriously scarey. They actually have a mixture of hematoxins as well as some metalloid compenents that act as a nuerotoxin to suppress breathing. Many victims die of asphyxiation.

I live in AZ and do field work all over the Southwest.

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I actually love snakes, just am realistic that if I get envenomated it's not going to be good because I'll probably be miles and miles from help and alone.

Mohave's are seriously scarey. They actually have a mixture of hematoxins as well as some metalloid compenents that act as a nuerotoxin to suppress breathing. Many victims die of asphyxiation.

I live in AZ and do field work all over the Southwest.
AZ is one of my favorites- I love the 4 corners/desert- and yeah, she almost did die of asphyxiation- her throat swelled and they had to shove a tube down it- if they had been 5 minutes later she would have died, b/c her throat swelled shut completely.....

Thanos

Thanos

Awards
Safed muslii in IGF-2 contains nominal amounts of beta-sitosterol and stigmasterol- so if you are ever bitten by a cobra, call AN!!!!
I think this will probably get "The Most Weird and Random Reference" award on pretty much any board- I was researching a new anabolic product and I happened to find this.....I think I kind of needed to take a little break :)

Viper and cobra venom neutralization by beta-sitosterol and stigmasterol isolated from the root extract of Pluchea indica Less. (Asteraceae).
Gomes A,
Saha A,
Chatterjee I,
Chakravarty AK.
Laboratory of Toxinology and Experimental Pharmacodynamics, Department of Physiology, University of Calcutta, 92, A.P.C. Road, Kolkata 700 009, India.
We reported previously that the methanolic root extract of the Indian medicinal plant Pluchea indica Less. (Asteraceae) could neutralize viper venom-induced action [Alam, M.I., Auddy, B., Gomes, A., 1996. Viper venom neutralization by Indian medicinal plant (Hemidesmus indicus and P. indica) root extracts. Phytother. Res. 10, 58-61]. The present study reports the neutralization of viper and cobra venom by beta-sitosterol and stigmasterol isolated from the root extract of P. indica Less. (Asteraceae). The active fraction (containing the major compound beta-sitosterol and the minor compound stigmasterol) was isolated and purified by silica gel column chromatography and the structure was determined using spectroscopic analysis (EIMS, (1)H NMR, (13)C NMR). Anti-snake venom activity was studied in experimental animals. The active fraction was found to significantly neutralize viper venom-induced lethal, hemorrhagic, defibrinogenation, edema and PLA(2) activity. Cobra venom-induced lethality, cardiotoxicity, neurotoxicity, respiratory changes and PLA(2) activity were also antagonized by the active component. It potentiated commercial snake venom antiserum action against venom-induced lethality in male albino mice. The active fraction could antagonize venom-induced changes in lipid peroxidation and superoxide dismutase activity. This study suggests that beta-sitosterol and stigmasterol may play an important role, along with antiserum, in neutralizing snake venom-induced actions.
Ok, so who is testing this :stick:

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Ok, so who is testing this :stick:
I volunteer one of our board reps- any one up for it? First snake bite wins 10 free bottles of RPM!!!

J/K

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Feel free to order from Nutraplanet if you are ever bitten by a Cobra. Our delivery service is THAT fast...plus, Stryder will be happy to suck out the venom, as long as it is in that special place.

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Feel free to order from Nutraplanet if you are ever bitten by a Cobra. Our delivery service is THAT fast...plus, Stryder will be happy to suck out the venom, as long as it is in that special place.
You heard it from the man himself!!:clap2:

Nutra is #1 in snake bite remedies, and speed of delivery- so please go to Nutraplanet for all of your IGF-2 cobra venom-related needs;)