Supplement timing :)

1. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.

Supplement timing :)

Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2006 Nov;38(11):1918-25. Links
    Effects of supplement timing and resistance exercise on skeletal muscle hypertrophy.Cribb PJ, Hayes A.
    Exercise Metabolism Unit, Center for Ageing, Rehabilitation, Exercise and Sport; and the School of Biomedical Sciences, Victoria University, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

PURPOSE: Some studies report greater muscle hypertrophy during resistance exercise (RE) training from supplement timing (i.e., the strategic consumption of protein and carbohydrate before and/or after each workout). However, no studies have examined whether this strategy provides greater muscle hypertrophy or strength development compared with supplementation at other times during the day. The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of supplement timing compared with supplementation in the hours not close to the workout on muscle-fiber hypertrophy, strength, and body composition during a 10-wk RE program. METHODS: In a single-blind, randomized protocol, resistance-trained males were matched for strength and placed into one of two groups; the PRE-POST group consumed a supplement (1 g x kg(-1) body weight) containing protein/creatine/glucose immediately before and after RE. The MOR-EVE group consumed the same dose of the same supplement in the morning and late evening. All assessments were completed the week before and after 10 wk of structured, supervised RE training. Assessments included strength (1RM, three exercises), body composition (DEXA), and vastus lateralis muscle biopsies for determination of muscle fiber type (I, IIa, IIx), cross-sectional area (CSA), contractile protein, creatine (Cr), and glycogen content. RESULTS: PRE-POST demonstrated a greater (P < 0.05) increase in lean body mass and 1RM strength in two of three assessments. The changes in body composition were supported by a greater (P < 0.05) increase in CSA of the type II fibers and contractile protein content. PRE-POST supplementation also resulted in higher muscle Cr and glycogen values after the training program (P < 0.05). CONCLUSION: Supplement timing represents a simple but effective strategy that enhances the adaptations desired from RE-training.

PMID: 17095924 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

2. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.

Timing is everything when it comes to supps- the post-workout anabolic window is a strength trainer's best friend!!
  3. Registered User

i have a alarm on my cell hpone that goes off in increments when its time to take the next goodies ollloo
    toes-on-the-nose.blogspot.com Deployed blogging
    •   

4. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside Backer View Post
    i have a alarm on my cell hpone that goes off in increments when its time to take the next goodies ollloo
    That is the best way to do it- people may look at you a little weird, but it makes them work about 10x better!!

Similar Forum Threads

1. Supplement timing
    By big trav in forum OTC Drug
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-24-2008, 10:40 PM
  2. Supplement Timing
    By RyanOFelt in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-12-2008, 05:55 AM
  3. Supplement timing for SD/4AD
    By vision in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 0