Vit C Thread!

buffhunk29

buffhunk29

AI Sports Fitness Expert
Awards
  • Established
Hey guys, I just wanted to introduce myself as an applied nutriceuticals rep! Wanted to say i am proud to be a part of this company they are all great people.

Now to the topic of this thread, i wanted to start a thread dedicated to the numerous health benefits of vitamin C! Because as most of you know Osteobolin-C contains 60mg of this wonderful multi faceted vitamin.

Feel free to post any information that you find interesting about vitamin c!

buffhunk29

buffhunk29

AI Sports Fitness Expert
Awards
  • Established
Vitamin C as an Anti-Inflammatory! Found here Vitamin C Anti-Inflammatory

This vitamin acts as an anti-inflammatory, relieving arthritis pain, and rids the body of free radicals. Vitamin C is vital to any arthritic therapeutic program, because Vitamin C has an intimate therapeutic relationship with each of the major causes of arthritis: physical structure of joints and bones, collagen; immune response against infectious agents; nutritional deficiency; and stress.

Vitamin C is an requirement for almost every step in the creation of collagen, a fiber like protein which forms the strong connective tissue required for strong bones, cartilage, the same structures which breakdown or deform in arthritic diseases. Hence, Vitamin C should play a role in any health promoting and arthritic prevention program, in order for wound healing and regeneration of connective tissues to proceed at optimal levels. Vitamin C also plays a roles Arteriosclerosis, the clogging up of arteries with cholesterol, which interferes with normal circulation and metabolism of bones and joints, leading to gradual deterioration and ultimately to arthritis.

The role of Vitamin C in maintaining and strengthening immune resistance to infection, and especially in the function of particular white cells, is yet another part of Vitamin C's power against arthritis. Considerable research points to a major role played by microorganisms, perhaps an RNA virus in association with a cell-wall deficient organism, in arthritis. Vitamin C's multi-faceted role in stimulating lymphocyte production, modulating the levels of circulating antibodies. Vitamin C also play a role in the production of the body's natural anti-viral substance, interferon, and in the inhibition of the prostaglandins PGE2 and PGF2, which are involved in inflammatory responses - swelling, arthritis pain, tenderness and heat. Lastly Vitamin C's therapeutic effects in dampening allergic responses, which are often a critical component of arthritis, all speak to Vitamin C's essential role in the successful treatment of arthritis.

Vitamin C and Rheumatoid Arthritis
Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease which leads to inflammation of the lining of the joints, resulting in destruction and deformity of the affected joints. It has been reported in the Annals of Rheumatic Disease (abstract), that consumption of foods high in vitamin C seem to protect against inflammatory polyarthritis, a form of rheumatoid arthritis involving two or more joints. This study involved more than 23,000 participants who had entered a large cancer study in the U.K. The participants kept food diaries and were arthritis-free at the study onset.

Researchers compared the diets of 73 participants who developed inflammatory polyarthritis during an eight-year period, and 146 who remained arthritis-free. After analysis, researchers concluded that people who developed arthritis ate fewer fruits and vegetables than those who did not develop the disease. Participants who ate the least fruits and vegetables had twice the risk of developing inflammatory arthritis. The results were even more striking it came to vitamin C: Individuals with low daily levels of vitamin C were three times more likely to develop joint inflammation compared to those with the highest daily intake, the researchers said.

There was also a significant difference in how much vitamin C people with arthritis consumed compared to those who did not develop arthritis. Participants who consumed the lowest amounts of vitamin C were three times more likely to develop the arthritic condition than those who consumed the highest amounts of vitamin C. The positive effect of vitamin C on rheumatoid arthritis may be because:

Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant, fighting molecules which trigger rheumatoid inflammation.
Vitamin C serves a role as a cofactor in collagen synthesis, the main protein in joint tissue and bone.
Vitamin C plays a role in fighting infection and may work to control inflammation which is linked to infection. Some believe infection can trigger flares of rheumatoid arthritis.
Contradictory Findings?
At first glance, the new findings may seem at odds with the results of another, similar study released just last week. That study, conducted by researchers at Duke University, found that excessively high levels of vitamin C might encourage the development of osteoarthritis.

Study results, which appear in Arthritis & Rheumatism have shown that the long-term use of vitamin C may worsen the severity of osteoarthritis of the knee. Researchers analyzed the effect of eight months of low, medium, and high doses of vitamin C in guinea pigs. Guinea pigs, like humans, are not able to synthesize vitamin C for themselves.

The high dose group developed the most severe osteoarthritis of the knee and worst cartilage damage. The researchers in this study concluded that dietary intake of vitamin C should not be supplemented above the current recommended dietary allowance: 90 mg per day for men; 75 mg. per day for women.

But Dr. John H. Klippel, president of the Arthritis Foundation, said the two studies may not be so far apart.

"First of all," he said, "we have to remember that these are two different disease processes." Klippel said that Vitamin C may be especially effective in preventing rheumatoid arthritis because it's a powerful antioxidant, fighting molecules that trigger rheumatoid inflammation.

Co-author of the Duke University study Pattison agreed, noting that vitamin C "also has a critical role as a cofactor in collagen synthesis, the main protein found in [joint] tissue and bone, critical for bone and joint health." Vitamin C may fight rheumatoid disease in a third way. According to Pattison, infection can trigger flare-ups of the rheumatoid immune response, and vitamin C's "integral role in fighting infection" may work to keep infection-linked inflammation at bay.

Klippel pointed out that both studies stress moderation in vitamin C intake as the best route to healthy bones and joints. "It's excessive amounts of intake that seems to be the problem in osteoarthritis," he said. Friday, June 11 (HealthDayNews

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
Welcome you Huff Bunk you.

Good info! Vitamin C is easily overlooked, and a valuable addition to a Cissus product!

buffhunk29

buffhunk29

AI Sports Fitness Expert
Awards
  • Established
thanks Lan glad to be here!!

Yes vit C is taken for granted most of the time! I will have more info soon!

:dance: i know i love my vit C

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
thanks Lan glad to be here!!

Yes vit C is taken for granted most of the time! I will have more info soon!

:dance: i know i love my vit C
Heath-

Great info- keep em' coming!!

Outside Backer

Outside Backer

Awards
  • Established
2 glasses of OJ a day keeps the nasty free radicals away :)

Welcome aboard Forum domination is just that one step closer :)

Outside Backer

Outside Backer

Awards
  • Established
Here is some info or Vit c and its fucntion in the adrenal gland

Vitamin C is responsible for more than 300 purposes in your body, everything from being the top anti-oxidant, producing collagen, keeping your immune system in top shape, curing some male infertility problems, lowering blood pressure and relieving stress.

Vitamin C produces Collagen. Collagen is essentially the "adhesive" that holds your body together. It is the tissue that holds your muscles to your skeleton, your skin to your muscles, and keeps you together. This may not mean much to you, but it also is needed to heal injuries faster. If Collagen will help heal sprained joints, broken bones, cuts, and other injuries, then would it not make sense that it will mean a better and faster muscle recovery after a workout?

And what about all those days we are too sick to go to the gym? You miss training and often are not able to keep up your nutrition timetable due to illnesses. Vitamin C is being shown through continued research to stimulate the immune system; through this function, along with its antioxidant function, it may help in the prevention and treatment of infections and other diseases. Ascorbic acid may activate neutrophils, the most prevalent white blood cells that work on the frontline defence in more hand-to-hand combat than other white blood cells. It also seems to increase production of lymphocytes, the white cells important in antibody production and in coordinating the cellular immune functions. In this way also, C may be helpful against bacterial, viral, and fungal diseases. In higher amounts, ascorbic acid may actually increase interferon production and thus activate the immune response to viruses; it may also decrease the production of histamine, thereby reducing immediate allergy potential. Therefore it is easy to see how a high level of Vitamin C can help keep risk of illnesses down as well as helping to cure common illnesses such as the common cold or flu type symptoms. This can only mean extra days on the gym when you would have been lying down losing muscle.

. Vitamin C stimulates adrenal function and the release of norepinephrine and epinephrine (adrenaline), our stress hormones; however, prolonged stress depletes vitamin C in the adrenals and decreases the blood levels. Ascorbic acid also helps thyroid hormone production, and it aids in cholesterol metabolism, increasing its elimination and thereby assisting in lowering blood cholesterol.

Vitamin C has also been shown to reduce blood pressure particularly useful to those suffering from high blood pressure as well as people that chose to use anabolic steroids where a raise in blood pressure is a common symptom. OK so now you are thinking that you could benefit from making a conscious effort to increase your vitamin C intake daily. So in what foods do we find Vitamin C ?

It is found only in the fruit and vegetable foods and is highest in fresh, uncooked foods. Vitamin C is one of the least stable vitamins, and cooking can destroy much of this water-soluble vitamin from foods.

Vitamin C is a weak acid and is stable in weak acids. Alkalis, such as baking soda, however, destroy ascorbic acid. It is also easily oxidized in air and sensitive to heat and light. Since it is contained in the watery part of fruits and vegetables, it is easily lost during cooking in water. Loss is minimized when vegetables such as broccoli or Brussels sprouts are cooked over water in a double boiler instead of directly in water. The mineral copper, in the water or in the cookware, diminishes vitamin C content of foods.

How much should I take ?

The RDA is a mere 60mgs which in my opinion is too low for a normal person let alone and active bodybuilder that puts his or her body under much more stress than the average person. Many Doctors and nutritionists also think think that 60mg's is too low and tend to lean towards suggestion 250-300 mgs. remember we are still talking about the normal average non weight trainer person. I think 1000-2000 mg's is a good place to start when experimenting with Vit C amounts. You could try a little more and see if you notice and difference in recovery.

Remember, Vitamin C is water soluble, so any extra will just wash out of your system with your fluids.

buffhunk29

buffhunk29

AI Sports Fitness Expert
Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys!!
Rms how ya doing!

Good post outside!! Fourm domination is on the brink!:dance:

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys!!
Rms how ya doing!

Good post outside!! Fourm domination is on the brink!:dance:
Pretty well bud!!

This should be fun!!!!

buffhunk29

buffhunk29

AI Sports Fitness Expert
Awards
  • Established
Function of Vitamin C:

As a participant in hydroxylation, vitamin C is needed for the production of collagen in the connective tissue. These fibers are ubiquitous throughout the body, providing firm but flexible structure. Some tissues have a greater percentage of collagen, especially: skin, mucous membranes, teeth and bones.
Vitamin C is required for synthesis of dopamine, noradrenaline and adrenaline in the nervous system or in the adrenal glands.
Vitamin C is also needed to synthesize carnitine, important in the transfer of energy to the cell mitochondria.
The tissues with greatest percentage of vitamin C — over 100 times the level in blood plasma — are the adrenal glands, pituitary, thymus, corpus luteum, and retina.
The brain, spleen, lung, testicle, lymph nodes, liver, thyroid, small intestinal mucosa, leukocytes, pancreas, kidney and salivary glands usually have 10 to 50 times the concentration present in blood plasma.
Vitamin C is an antioxidant and acts as a substrate for ascorbate peroxidase.

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
This forum domination talk makes me picture the scene in "Anchor Man" where Ron Burgundy leads his news anchor troops against competing networks in a street brawl........

Haven't seen it? You're missing out.

buffhunk29

buffhunk29

AI Sports Fitness Expert
Awards
  • Established
Oh yeah man nice visual!!! haha who would you like to be?

millenium girl

Awards
I used to think that Vit C was only a protection against colds. Now that I have read that it helps against arthritis, I might give it another go.

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
This forum domination talk makes me picture the scene in "Anchor Man" where Ron Burgundy leads his news anchor troops against competing networks in a street brawl........

Haven't seen it? You're missing out.

LOL- they were pulling out all kinds of random weapons- Steve Carrell stabbed that one guy with a trident:duel:

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
I'm gonna be the guy walking around holding the grenade in front of himself menacingly.

ttwarrior1

Awards
ive been taking vitamin c with L lysine , its what linus pauling recommended. Ive also been eating more oranges and orange peel spice at the spice section from wal mart after i heard it contained alot of vitamin c and helps with acid reflux prevention as well.

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
Warrior, noticing any benefits as of yet?

*stated as I thrust this grenade in your general direction*

ttwarrior1

Awards
yes im noticing results from it. Im trying to figure out why ive read in romanowskis book and another why it said not to take vitamin c after a workout though. It stated it should be taken before the workout or even during the workout but it didn't state as to why.

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
ive been taking vitamin c with L lysine , its what linus pauling recommended. Ive also been eating more oranges and orange peel spice at the spice section from wal mart after i heard it contained alot of vitamin c and helps with acid reflux prevention as well.
Osteo-C will help with acid reflux as well- it made my AR completely disappear

ttwarrior1

Awards
i don't have it either, apple cider vinegar and acidophilus made mine go away, i take the orange peel mainly for the c and just in case it comes back

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
yes im noticing results from it. Im trying to figure out why ive read in romanowskis book and another why it said not to take vitamin c after a workout though. It stated it should be taken before the workout or even during the workout but it didn't state as to why.

Interesting- I think the reason for that is cortisol control- I have seen some recommendations that entail crushing up vitamin C tabs and adding them to the water you drink during your workout (I think it was in the Poliquin Principles)- seems to work pretty well- I used it while I was getting ready for a show a few years ago

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I'm gonna be the guy walking around holding the grenade in front of himself menacingly.
Have you ever read The Darwin Awards? :fool2:

They have some real interesting stories about people playing with explosives