Effect of hills on sprint training....

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
doi: 10.1519/R-16834.1
The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research: Vol. 20, No. 4, pp. 767–777.
The Effects of Sprint Running Training on Sloping Surfaces
Giorgos P. Paradisis

Track and Field Unit, Department of Sport and Exercise Science, University of Athens, Athens, Greece;
Carlton B. Cooke

School of Physical Education and Sport Studies, Leeds Metropolitan University, Beckett Park Campus, Leeds, UK

ABSTRACT

Paradisis, G.P., and C.B. Cooke. The effects of sprint running training on sloping surfaces. J. Strength Cond. Res. 20(4):767–777. 2006.—The aim of this study was to examine the effects of sprint running training on sloping surfaces (3°) on selected kinematic and physiological variables. Thirty-five sport and physical education students were randomized into 4 training groups (uphill-downhill, downhill, uphill, and horizontal) and a control group, with 7 participants in each group. Pre- and posttraining tests were performed to examine the effects of 6 weeks of training on the maximum running speed at 35 m, step rate, step length, step time, contact time, eccentric and concentric phase of contact time, flight time, selected posture characteristics of the step cycle, and peak anaerobic power performance. Maximum running speed and step rate were increased significantly (p < 0.05) in a 35-m running test after training by 0.29 m·s−1 (3.5%) and 0.14 Hz (3.4%) for the combined uphill-downhill group and by 0.09 m·s−1 (1.1%) and 0.03 Hz (2.4%) for the downhill group, whereas flight time shortened only for the combined uphill-downhill training group by 6 milliseconds (4.3%). There were no significant changes in the horizontal and control groups. Overall, the posture characteristics and the peak anaerobic power performance did not change with training. It can be suggested that the novel combined uphill-downhill training method is significantly more effective in improving the maximum running velocity at 35 m and the associated horizontal kinematic characteristics of sprint running than the other training methods are.

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
By chance have you heard of a company called "Frappier Acceleration"? i.e. "Acceleration Indiana" is a local branch.
Frappier Acceleration Sports Training

One type of their training consists of short term bouts of sprinting on various degrees of incline..... some that are really freakin steep. It is very unorthodox... the athlete stand next to the already at full speed treadmill, and actually jumps on running. They run a prescribed time (usually a matter of seconds) and then jump off. I think I remember seeing speeds of 22 mph and maybe higher accomplished by high school kids, on a steep incline.
Sounded hokey to me at first.... but they have created a lot of faster, more agile athletes.

Have a look at that link.

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
By chance have you heard of a company called "Frappier Acceleration"? i.e. "Acceleration Indiana" is a local branch.
Frappier Acceleration Sports Training

One type of their training consists of short term bouts of sprinting on various degrees of incline..... some that are really freakin steep. It is very unorthodox... the athlete stand next to the already at full speed treadmill, and actually jumps on running. They run a prescribed time (usually a matter of seconds) and then jump off. I think I remember seeing speeds of 22 mph and maybe higher accomplished by high school kids, on a steep incline.
Sounded hokey to me at first.... but they have created a lot of faster, more agile athletes.

Have a look at that link.
I have a couple friends in the NFL that have used this type of training- it does have some validity on working top-speed mechanics and improving turnover rate. Running downhill on a slight (5% or less) decline will accomplish the same thing, and at UNCC, we have a sling-shot type device (a cord that attaches to the athlete) that will actually pendulum the sprinter down the track much faster than they normally would run. Basically, it simply teaches the nervous system to fire faster- the technical term for it is overspeed training.

We incorporate hills and stairs into a great deal of our training, because it allows the athlete to mimick the angle of a start/drive phase, and stay at this angle much longer, all while staying within a line of power.

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
Interesting! The overspeed training seems like a sure fire way for me to get hurt. lol

Acceleration has a very interesting apparatus for training: a really big (probably 8-10 feet wide maybe?) treadmill with a belt that is designed to be used by an athlete wearing iceskates. They actually skate on the treadmill. They get hooked into this series of elastic belts that can be manipulated by the trainer to provide tension in any given direction or angle. The treadmill is put at a steep incline, to force the athlete to get into a low crouch position while skating. Neat to watch.

Outside Backer

Outside Backer

Awards
  • Established
when i was running track in highschool. I was a long triple and high jumper we used to use that pendulem type thing.

a sprinter about 50 yrds up had a chord strapped to him and so did we he would get running abot half speed and it would sling shot the hell out of us.

real crazy speed.

I was a puller one time and i actually drug a person thru the ground i had no ideal they fell and i kept running :(

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
when i was running track in highschool. I was a long triple and high jumper we used to use that pendulem type thing.

a sprinter about 50 yrds up had a chord strapped to him and so did we he would get running abot half speed and it would sling shot the hell out of us.

real crazy speed.

I was a puller one time and i actually drug a person thru the ground i had no ideal they fell and i kept running :(
That's funny- I have seen some interesting **** happen out on the track, football field, and on treadmills (especially the last couples years)- two pretty dangerous places if you don't know what you are doing :)

I once saw a woman literally get thrown across the gym (she flew about 6-7 feet) b/c she tripped when she was running full speed on a treadmill

Last year one of the elite sprinters was doing hurdle hops (basically a series of 4-5 consecutive two-footed jumps over 4-4.5 ft. tall hurdles)- he got off the ground wrong on the last one, and twisted, and somehow ended up coming straight down with a leg on either side of the hurdle (straight nut shot). Needless to say, the hurdle broke in half, and he was laid out for a week :fool2:

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
That's funny- I have seen some interesting **** happen out on the track, football field, and on treadmills (especially the last couples years)- two pretty dangerous places if you don't know what you are doing :)

I once saw a woman literally get thrown across the gym (she flew about 6-7 feet) b/c she tripped when she was running full speed on a treadmill

Last year one of the elite sprinters was doing hurdle hops (basically a series of 4-5 consecutive two-footed jumps over 4-4.5 ft. tall hurdles)- he got off the ground wrong on the last one, and twisted, and somehow ended up coming straight down with a leg on either side of the hurdle (straight nut shot). Needless to say, the hurdle broke in half, and he was laid out for a week :fool2:
Your feeling better now though, right? ;)

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established

I tease, I tease! Just insinuating that YOU were the one landing on the hurdle sack first and saying you SAW someone do it. Bad joke, I know. Doesn't mean I don't love you sweetcakes. :D

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I tease, I tease! Just insinuating that YOU were the one landing on the hurdle sack first and saying you SAW someone do it. Bad joke, I know. Doesn't mean I don't love you sweetcakes. :D
BP-
Just messing with you- I know what you meant :) Not really sure about the sweetcakes remark, though:think: j/k

PS- How's LA these days?

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
BP-
Just messing with you- I know what you meant :) Not really sure about the sweetcakes remark, though:think: j/k

PS- How's LA these days?
LA? I live in the Pacific NW. Perhaps you are thinking of my R Kelly doll? ;)

Outside Backer

Outside Backer

Awards
  • Established
taken a turn for the worse lol

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
Grammar and wording have improved considerably since you last visited BP. :hammer:

You call rms80 sweetcakes too? I thought I was the only one..... small world I tell ya

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
J-
I noticed the vast improvement in grammar as well!!

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
All your supplement are belong to us!

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
"Dear lil' baby Jesus, there in your manger.... with your little einstein learning table....
please provide BP with the assistance he needs, and see him through these hard times. Amen"

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
That's a play on a quote by the great Ricky Bobby, for anyone who missed it.

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
J-
Ygm

Outside Backer

Outside Backer

Awards
  • Established
Yeah- it got a little off topic- OB, how's life?
cant complain i have a 3 week vacation coming up soon:bruce3: :head:

im back on bb.com lol

babolat

babolat

Board Sponsor
Awards
Man in baseball season our warmups were 2 mile runs, and midway through practice we would run hills and slide back down...crazy!! got my cardio fitness level muuuch higher, and gave me much better leg definition and power.

Aeternitatis

Aeternitatis

Awards
  • Established
LA? I live in the Pacific NW.;)
Dude! Same here. I'm in Seattle.

ANyways, this type of training sounds good. I am fond of running stairs. Something to add to my already unorthodox usage of wood chopping/sledge hammer work, heavy vest, kettlebell, and freestyle bodyweight movements (various upside-down vertical and quadripedal movements).

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Dude! Same here. I'm in Seattle.

ANyways, this type of training sounds good. I am fond of running stairs. Something to add to my already unorthodox usage of wood chopping/sledge hammer work, heavy vest, kettlebell, and freestyle bodyweight movements (various upside-down vertical and quadripedal movements).
WOW- what are you training for? Me and a lot of the track guys are always looking for new types of dynamic training- anything that helps with stability is a major plus!!

Aeternitatis

Aeternitatis

Awards
  • Established
WOW- what are you training for? Me and a lot of the track guys are always looking for new types of dynamic training- anything that helps with stability is a major plus!!
I'm not training for anything in particular, I just like to be in peak condition... like a freakin ninja! I grew up watching kung fu movies so I think that had an impact on my idea of a "normal" life. My life has always revolved around 2 things:

1) training the body
2) training the mind

Unfortunately I haven't always been dedicated and the status quo is on constant attack. But when I'm "well" I generally get around 4 hours of physical training and 4 hours of mental training per day. Mostly though I just do it cause it's a lot of fun.

EDIT: I just re-read all that. Kinda makes me sound like a prick.

Last edited:
rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I'm not training for anything in particular, I just like to be in peak condition... like a freakin ninja! I grew up watching kung fu movies so I think that had an impact on my idea of a "normal" life. My life has always revolved around 2 things:

1) training the body
2) training the mind

Unfortunately I haven't always been dedicated and the status quo is on constant attack. But when I'm "well" I generally get around 4 hours of physical training and 4 hours of mental training per day. Mostly though I just do it cause it's a lot of fun.

No it doesn't ;) Believe me, I see the light....you can't do what you want to do in life if they are not in constant harmony!!

babolat

babolat

Board Sponsor
Awards
hey aeter, you say you are into ninpo- do you know doug?

...the only real instructor around here...

asianbabe

asianbabe

Awards
  • Established

1) training the body
2) training the mind

Heyhey.. what is this mental training you speaketh of?

Aeternitatis

Aeternitatis

Awards
  • Established
hey aeter, you say you are into ninpo- do you know doug?

...the only real instructor around here...
No. I trained under Philip Gigler who ran Seattle Budokan Ninjutsu but has since moved to a new dojo in Vancouver :(. They were the only nearby dojo I could find that was accredited through Sensei Masaaki Hatsumi's main council in Japan.

babolat

babolat

Board Sponsor
Awards
Oh.

that sucks! Im going to get into survival fighting pretty soon, so itll be probably almost as fun.

Aeternitatis

Aeternitatis

Awards
  • Established
Oh.

that sucks! Im going to get into survival fighting pretty soon, so itll be probably almost as fun.
I donno if you like combining esoteric practices with your martial arts, but I met a teacher named Dennis Sharp who teaches Qi Gong, Tai Chi, and southern style Kung Fu. The man is incredible. His training is actually centered around the energies of the different seasons and he gives mini-lessons on how to utilize Qi and herbs and other "mysitcal" stuff... which I love! I've only had the pleasure of training under him for a couple of months, but he is a gifted teacher and practitioner. Despite being esoteric, he's very real and the skills he teaches you are quite useful.

I believe he's offering classes through North Seattle Community College Extended Learning if that's anywhere near you. I'm thinking of signing up for it so I can reunite with him. But he also offers regular classes... at least, last I heard he did.