The potential for Rhodiola rosea induced sleep disturbance

Aeternitatis

Aeternitatis

Awards
  • Established
I've been trying to start a legitimate about this for some time now, but most people who sell rhodiola refuse to accept that there is potential for side-effects. Rhodiola does have stimulant qualities to it acting primarily on the adrenals... perhaps too well?

So, to the topic at hand: what do the experts at AN know of Rhodiola and sleep disturbance?

I can say I've only seen 1 study that suggested this. According to it, sensitive persons at high enough doses will experience sleep disturbance akin to caffeine stimulation from rhodiola. I'm obviously one of those people, otherwise I probably wouldn't care so much about this topic.

It appears that a dose of over 200mg (4% rosavins) per day is enough to interrupt sleep. The higher the rosavin content, the worse it gets.

Thoughts?

Outside Backer

Outside Backer

Awards
  • Established
although not an expert by any means. From personal experience I cant say this has happend. But i will do some research.

ofcourse. i can take caff at night and usually have no issues with sleep. im not very sensitive.

so far reviewing some logs of igf-2 hasnt noted any sleep issues. Plus igf-2 has 3% rosavins ;)

Ill return

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am not sensitive to stims, but know that I think about it, I have been having trouble sleeping lately (currently taking 4 Anagen & 6 Fenotest). Perhaps the excess rhodiola is the reason...

Outside Backer

Outside Backer

Awards
  • Established
i liked fenotest. mainly for the maple syrup smell lol

Outside Backer

Outside Backer

Awards
  • Established
Ok just a quick google search pulled several links. Most all the links are cookie cutter of the other links. all state pretty much teh same thing. most state sleep improvement witha side effect of the opposite in some

The adaptogenic herb Rhodiola rosea (also called golden root) is a medley of chemical compounds, the most important of which are rosarin, rosavin, rosin (the rosavins), salidroside and tyrosol. The purpose of an adaptogen is to support the body in maintaining healthy functions and processes despite a wide range of stressors. Rhodiola rosea promotes improved energy levels and enhanced mental performance.*

Rhodiola rosea is a popular plant in traditional medical systems in Eastern Europe and Asia with a reputation for stimulating the nervous system, enhancing mood, improving work performance, and reducing fatigue. Rhodiola rosea has been categorized as an adaptogen by Russian researchers due to its observed ability to increase resistance to a variety of chemical, biological, and physical stressors. Research also indicates great utility in asthenic conditions (decline in work performance, sleep difficulties, poor appetite, irritability, headaches, and fatigue) developing subsequent to intense physical or mental strain. The proposed adaptogenic, heart protective, and central nervous system activities of Rhodiola rosea have been attributed primarily to its ability to influence levels and activity of monoamines and opioid peptides such as beta-endorphins.* (Source: Altern Med Rev 2001;6(3):293-302)

some uncommon side effects include sleep irriatibility for the first few days in some idividuals.

its basically hit or miss. just from reading a few articles

Aeternitatis

Aeternitatis

Awards
  • Established
I am not sensitive to stims, but know that I think about it, I have been having trouble sleeping lately (currently taking 4 Anagen & 6 Fenotest). Perhaps the excess rhodiola is the reason...
I wouldn't be surprised if it was the rhodiola.

I can't go above 2 caps of Anagen without having my sleep screwed up.

BTW, it took me FOREVER to figure out that rhodiola was causing me to have agitated sleep. Two oddities in me: rhodiola and vinpocetine both cause sleep disturbance in me with what would normally be considered a "standard" dose. I'm weird like that.

Outside Backer

Outside Backer

Awards
  • Established
your just a wierd fella :)

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't be surprised if it was the rhodiola.

I can't go above 2 caps of Anagen without having my sleep screwed up.

BTW, it took me FOREVER to figure out that rhodiola was causing me to have agitated sleep. Two oddities in me: rhodiola and vinpocetine both cause sleep disturbance in me with what would normally be considered a "standard" dose. I'm weird like that.
A,

That is a good post and a very legitimate observation!!

200 mg @ 4% is a very healthy dose- we don't go quite that high in our formula :)

I have talked with numerous people (testers and customers) who have also taken IGF-2 before bed, and almost 100% of them say that it actually improves their sleep. This is also referenced in several of our customer logs on different boards, where quite a few people are saying the same thing.

I have seen the same study you are referencing, and my honest opinion is that sleeplessness from rhodiola is completely dosage-related. When I formulated IGF-2, I did keep the caveat of possible sleep disturbances in mind, and I did look at some of the lower effective doses instead of the higher. Another added reason I did this was that too much rhodiola can tend to dry out the joints a little at higher dosages, and I wanted the most effective product with the least potential for any sides.

As for vinpocetine, it affects me the same way, and I don't really tolerate it very well, even at small doses :(

One final thing I have noticed: body weight dependant dosages, for any herb (or drug for that matter), are extremely critical, as there is always a fine line between effective and ineffective!!!!

Aeternitatis

Aeternitatis

Awards
  • Established
^^^
Good man! :clap2:

I had a feeling you already had taken this into account. But you're the first "seller of rhodiola" to actually address the issue. Again, great work! And it's nice to know that when I get around to running some IGF-2, I most likely will not have to worry about sleep problems.

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
^^^
Good man! :clap2:

I had a feeling you already had taken this into account. But you're the first "seller of rhodiola" to actually address the issue. Again, great work! And it's nice to know that when I get around to running some IGF-2, I most likely will not have to worry about sleep problems.
We do our best!! And I do agree, a lot of potential sides tend to be ignored by many companies- I think we may actually do a "Potential Sides" addition to our FAQ's for each product- many herbal extracts are drug-like in their effects, so this definitely needs to be addressed- and not just with a standard disclaimer :)

Good feedback!!

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
We do our best!! And I do agree, a lot of potential sides tend to be ignored by many companies- I think we may actually do a "Potential Sides" addition to our FAQ's for each product- many herbal extracts are drug-like in their effects, so this definitely needs to be addressed- and not just with a standard disclaimer :)

Good feedback!!

Good call D. The potential sides is something every company should be doing.

EDIT- Pardon my previous post here.... I was plain old confused.

rysigpi

rysigpi

Awards
  • Established
I take 7 anagen and 7 fenotest a day (one each at every meal) and sleep normally. Each cap of anagen has 100mg (3% rosavins and 1% salidrosides) and 2 caps fenotest has 175mg (3% rosavins). So that ends up being just over 1300mg. Some fellas on another board are running a dozen of each a day!!! Ummm...now I prolly won't fall asleep tonight! Just jinxed myself!

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
I take 7 anagen and 7 fenotest a day (one each at every meal) and sleep normally. Each cap of anagen has 100mg (3% rosavins and 1% salidrosides) and 2 caps fenotest has 175mg (3% rosavins). So that ends up being just over 1300mg. Some fellas on another board are running a dozen of each a day!!! Ummm...now I prolly won't fall asleep tonight! Just jinxed myself!
Hows the Anagen and Fenotest treating you?

rysigpi

rysigpi

Awards
  • Established
7 weeks out from a show, 100g carbs a day with refeed once a week. Strength is steady and has even gone up in a few areas so it is treating me well. Really I can't ask for more out of a natural supp. I really want to try jungle warfare/ B.A.M. stack after my anagen/feno runs out!

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
7 weeks out from a show, 100g carbs a day with refeed once a week. Strength is steady and has even gone up in a few areas so it is treating me well. Really I can't ask for more out of a natural supp. I really want to try jungle warfare/ B.A.M. stack after my anagen/feno runs out!
Sounds awesome man!
What show you going to compete in?

The following subliminal message brought to you by Lanbane
You want to run IGF-2 and Neovar next.............

rysigpi

rysigpi

Awards
  • Established
Greater Traverse City Championship in Michigan...also I have some interest in the products. I will have to give them a try one of these days.:head:

Aeternitatis

Aeternitatis

Awards
  • Established
The following subliminal message brought to you by Lanbane
You want to run IGF-2 and Neovar next.............
LMAO!!

I first read that as sublingual and was like, "What the hell?" :icon_lol:

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
You all laugh.... but anyone who reads that post will walk away thinking quietly to themselves, "I really oughta try that IGF-2 and Neovar...." right after they think to themselves, "Man, that Lanbane guy is a tool...."

Either way, they'll try, AND LOVE, the supplements.

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
You all laugh.... but anyone who reads that post will walk away thinking quietly to themselves, "I really oughta try that IGF-2 and Neovar...." right after they think to themselves, "Man, that Lanbane guy is a tool...."

Either way, they'll try, AND LOVE, the supplements.
LOL

Outside Backer

Outside Backer

Awards
  • Established
LMAO!!

I first read that as sublingual and was like, "What the hell?" :icon_lol:
:icon_lol: so did I I swear i was getting ready to type " what is a sublingual Message"

great minds think alike:head: