This is a new one- never quite heard of this method of training before....

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
doi: 10.1519/14213.1
The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research: Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 828–832.
The Short-Term Effect of Whole-Body Vibration Training on Vertical Jump, Sprint, and Agility Performance
Darryl J. Cochrane

Sport Coaching and Management Program, Department of Management, Massey University, Palmerston North, New Zealand
Stephen J. Legg

Centre for Ergonomics, Occupational Safety and Health, Department of Human Resource Management, Massey University, Palmerston North, New Zealand
Michael J. Hooker

Human Performance, Universal College of Learning, Palmerston North, New Zealand

ABSTRACT

Cochrane, D.J., S.J. Legg, and M.J. Hooker. The short-term effect of whole-body vibration training on vertical jump, sprint, and agility performance. J. Strength Cond. Res. 18(4):000–000. 2004.—Previous studies have suggested that short-term whole-body vibration (WBV) training produces neuromuscular improvement similar to that of power and strength training. However, it is yet to be determined whether short-term WBV exposure produces neurogenic enhancement for power, speed, and agility. The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect short-term WBV training had on vertical jump, sprint, and agility performance in nonelite athletes. Twenty-four sport science students (16 men and 8 women) were randomly assigned to 2 groups: WBV training or control. Each group included 8 men and 4 women. Countermovement jump (CMJ) height, squat jump (SJ) height, sprint speed over 5, 10, and 20 m, and agility (505, up and back) were performed by each participant before and after 9 days of either no training (control) or WBV training. Perceived discomfort of every participant was recorded after daily WBV exposure and nonexposure. There were no significant differences between WBV and control groups for CMJ, SJ, sprints, and agility. Perceived discomfort differed between the first and subsequent days of WBV training (p < 0.05); however, there was no difference between the WBV and control groups. It is concluded that short-term WBV training did not enhance performance in nonelite athletes.

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
I read something about this sort of thing in a magazine a few months back. Apparently there is Gym equipment (similar to a treadmill or elliptical) that simple vibrates the user. Sounded silly to me, but it could be the extreme lazy man's workout.

Regardless of silliness, that's an interesting study.

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
there's **** about this on the avant board from spook. This and hyperthermic temperatures postworkout, i.e. sauna, some interesting stuff. I am actually trying the sauna post workout out for awhile, although i am starting a test cycle soon so it'll be hard to tell what it actually does. either way, its cool that they are studying this kinda stuff, if you aren't progressing you are regressing imo

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
there's **** about this on the avant board from spook. This and hyperthermic temperatures postworkout, i.e. sauna, some interesting stuff. I am actually trying the sauna post workout out for awhile, although i am starting a test cycle soon so it'll be hard to tell what it actually does. either way, its cool that they are studying this kinda stuff, if you aren't progressing you are regressing imo
Good post!! Just because it is new and unproven does not necessarily mean that it does not work- ten years ago doctors were still saying that steroids did not improve athletic performance, and we know how that turned out (cough, Balco, cough) :)

Interested to see if this goes the way of electrical muscle stimulators and the like, or it blows up and starts a huge trend. You never know!! :)

Outside Backer

Outside Backer

Awards
  • Established
im reading a fitness magazine i gotr in the mail yesterday as i type this that is talking about this exact subject.

it shows a disc that someone stands on and it vibrates i have to take a pic of this article

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
Training Revolution - Avant Labs

Hopefully that link is allowed, if not sorry, I will get rid of it. That has some info about a couple of different new ideas with studies. Spook and par are some smart dudes, interesting stuff. Like I said, I have been trying the sauna immediately after my workout and I will say it feels kinda different, like I get some sort of tingling sensation in the muscles I have worked, but this could be entirely in my head. either way, interesting stuff, and im a sucker for naked old men in the sauna anyways :sick:

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
At least it's a justification for my vibrating butt plug that looks like Donald Duck.

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
CDB,

Pssssst...... you just thought out loud man.........

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
my gym had one of these vibrating platforms that sounds very simialar to what was used in the abstract. you could control the amount of time or the amount of vibration used. i found out that this piece of equipment costs $10,000 but our club leased it for a year and nobody used it. occasionally, i did push-ups or bodyweight squats on the platform because it was a different feel. i wouldve used it more if i has read this earlier.

Outside Backer

Outside Backer

Awards
  • Established
Intermittent hyperthermia enhances skeletal muscle regrowth and attenuates oxidative damage following reloading.Selsby JT, Rother S, Tsuda S, Pracash O, Quindry JC, Dodd SL.
Applied Physiology and Kinesiology, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, United States.

Skeletal muscle reloading following disuse is characterized by profound oxidative damage. This study tested the hypothesis that intermittent hyperthermia during reloading attenuates oxidative damage and augments skeletal muscle regrowth following immobilization. Forty animals were randomly divided into four groups: Control (Con), Immobilized (Im), Reloaded (RC), and Reloaded and heated (RH). All groups but Con were immobilized for seven days. Animals in the RC and RH groups were then reloaded for seven days with (RH) or without (RC) hyperthermia (41-41.5 degrees C for 30 min on alternating days) during reloading. Heating resulted in ~25% elevation in HSP expression (p<0.05) and an approximate 30% greater soleus regrowth (p<0.05) in RH when compared to RC. Further, oxidant damage was lower in the RH group when compared to RC as nitrotyrosine and HNE was returned to near baseline when heating was combined with reloading. Reduced oxidant damage was independent of antioxidant enzymes (MnSOD, CuZnSOD, Cat, GPX, GRX). In summary, these data suggest that intermittent hyperthermia during reloading attenuates oxidative stress and improves the rate of skeletal muscle regrowth during reloading after immobilization. Key words: oxidant stress, heat shock protein, antioxidant, oxidative stress, hypertrophy.

PMID: 17110516 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

I dunno how good for post workout is it to sit in a hot sauan and dehydrate and not eat anthing for an houur after training. that cant be good for recovery

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
whoa, outsidebacker? are you not representing isatori anymore?

Outside Backer

Outside Backer

Awards
  • Established
nope bigger and better things. isatori is agreat company with solid products. but AN is moving in the direction that interest me the most

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
nope bigger and better things. isatori is agreat company with solid products. but AN is moving in the direction that interest me the most
nice, and best of luck to you! AN looks like its got a pretty solid lineup. im also liking the guys running the company. they seem top notch

Outside Backer

Outside Backer

Awards
  • Established
Very Top notch

babolat

babolat

Board Sponsor
Awards
Have you heard about the "gym equipment" that basically simulates a bull-riding? Its supposed to strengthen your total midsection.

..I prefer sports..

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Have you heard about the "gym equipment" that basically simulates a bull-riding? Its supposed to strengthen your total midsection.

..I prefer sports..
Me too- it sounds like some sort of weird "Urban Cowboy" 80's hell or something- do they throw in the mechanical bull, line-dancing, and bar fights for atmosphere? :drunk:

j/k :) One of my best friends in the world was a top-notch bull and bronc rider back in the 70's- he is a commercial pilot now- kind of an odd change of events