Load and Rep Ranges for Improving Muscular Velocity and Speed

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
doi: 10.1519/13933.1
The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research: Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 792–795.
Effect of Multiple-Load Training on the Force-Velocity Relationship
Hideki Toji and Masahiro Kaneko

Graduate School of Health and Sport Sciences, Osaka University of Health and Sport Sciences, Osaka, Japan

ABSTRACT

Toji, H., and M. Kaneko. Effect of multiple-load training on the force-velocity relationship. J. Strength Cond. Res. 18(4):792–795. 2004.—The effect of training with a combination of different loads (multiple-load training) on the force-velocity and force-power relationships was examined with training programs that included maximal isometric contraction (Fmax) and concentric contraction of the elbow flexor muscles. Twenty-one male college students were placed into 3 equal training groups (G30 + 60, G30 + 100, and G30 + 60 + 100) and performed multiple-load training 3 days per week for 8 weeks. The training load was a set fraction of the maximal isometric strength (% Fmax). The G30 + 60 group performed 6 repetitions of elbow flexion at 30 and 60% Fmax. The G30 + 100 group performed 6 repetitions at 30% Fmax and six 5-second Fmax loads. The G30 + 60 + 100 group performed 4 repetitions at 30 and 60% Fmax and four 5-second Fmax loads. After training, Fmax and maximal velocity significantly increased (p < 0.05) in all 3 training groups. The increases in maximal power were significantly (p < 0.05) different between the G30 + 60 + 100 group (52.9%) and the G30 + 100 group (24.2%). These results suggest that multiple-load training programs with 4–6 repetitions are effective for improving muscle power and velocity of the elbow flexors.

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Sets in the 4 to 6 rep-range with varying loads can improve muscular power and velocity, even if improvement occurs only in elbow flexors:woohoo:

In all seriousness, this same protocol has produced replicated results over several different studies involving several different muscle groups- so if you want to improve power and velocity- run your periodization for several weeks in this rep range.

We run this type of protocol during prior to the season track and field training, along with more explosive type sprint drills (harness pulls, parachutes, etc.) with some really great results!!

Outside Backer

Outside Backer

Awards
  • Established
I train using Eric Brosers Power / rep range / shock training

each week its a diff method to the madness

week 1 power heavy weight 4-6 reps really beats up the type II fibers

week 2 rep range uses really high reps 10-12 15-20 reps so stimlate the slow twitch endurance fibers

week 3 is a shock combo burt drop sets super sets minimal rest. it really really keeps the body gessing and develops the whole muscle.

DC training is a similar concept that i used for about 1.5 yrs

i trained for power for years. adn i haven seen growth like i ahve the past month or 2

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I train using Eric Brosers Power / rep range / shock training

each week its a diff method to the madness

week 1 power heavy weight 4-6 reps really beats up the type II fibers

week 2 rep range uses really high reps 10-12 15-20 reps so stimlate the slow twitch endurance fibers

week 3 is a shock combo burt drop sets super sets minimal rest. it really really keeps the body gessing and develops the whole muscle.

DC training is a similar concept that i used for about 1.5 yrs

i trained for power for years. adn i haven seen growth like i ahve the past month or 2
To get HUGE, that is the best thing to do!!!

The simplistic recipe for getting huge:

1. Stimulate (don't annhilate- like Lee Haney says) as many different types of muscle fibers as possible in as many different ways as possible

2. Work hard and BE CONSISTENT- this applies to life in general as well:woohoo:

3. Get an appropriate nutritional profile- lots of protein, low GI complex carbs, and healthy fats

4. Drink plenty of water

5. EFA's

6. REST- 8-10 hrs. of sleep a night, and don't weight train every day, because the nervous system needs sleepy time

Please feel free to add on anything I may have left out!!!

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
RMS,

I was wondering if you could elaborate on this whole training method possible using one body part as an example. I am pretty serious into boxing (not pro or anything but it shapes my goals) and I really only train for power now for the most part so this really intrigues me. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Mr.50

doi: 10.1519/13933.1
The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research: Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 792–795.
Effect of Multiple-Load Training on the Force-Velocity Relationship
Hideki Toji and Masahiro Kaneko

Graduate School of Health and Sport Sciences, Osaka University of Health and Sport Sciences, Osaka, Japan

ABSTRACT

Toji, H., and M. Kaneko. Effect of multiple-load training on the force-velocity relationship. J. Strength Cond. Res. 18(4):792–795. 2004.—The effect of training with a combination of different loads (multiple-load training) on the force-velocity and force-power relationships was examined with training programs that included maximal isometric contraction (Fmax) and concentric contraction of the elbow flexor muscles. Twenty-one male college students were placed into 3 equal training groups (G30 + 60, G30 + 100, and G30 + 60 + 100) and performed multiple-load training 3 days per week for 8 weeks. The training load was a set fraction of the maximal isometric strength (% Fmax). The G30 + 60 group performed 6 repetitions of elbow flexion at 30 and 60% Fmax. The G30 + 100 group performed 6 repetitions at 30% Fmax and six 5-second Fmax loads. The G30 + 60 + 100 group performed 4 repetitions at 30 and 60% Fmax and four 5-second Fmax loads. After training, Fmax and maximal velocity significantly increased (p < 0.05) in all 3 training groups. The increases in maximal power were significantly (p < 0.05) different between the G30 + 60 + 100 group (52.9%) and the G30 + 100 group (24.2%). These results suggest that multiple-load training programs with 4–6 repetitions are effective for improving muscle power and velocity of the elbow flexors.

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
RMS,

I was wondering if you could elaborate on this whole training method possible using one body part as an example. I am pretty serious into boxing (not pro or anything but it shapes my goals) and I really only train for power now for the most part so this really intrigues me. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Mr.50

Sure- the training ideology recommends variable loads in the 4-6 rep range be incorporated into training- unfortunately, it goes more into isometric strength than anything, and does not necessarily include tempos for "explosive" exercise.

I can give guidance based on what we do for track- I will elaborate more later :) Boxing should be an interesting one to try and incorporate!!

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Thanks bro. Any feedback would be appreciated. I would like to mix it up a bit.

Mr.50

Sure- the training ideology recommends variable loads in the 4-6 rep range be incorporated into training- unfortunately, it goes more into isometric strength than anything, and does not necessarily include tempos for "explosive" exercise.

I can give guidance based on what we do for track- I will elaborate more later :) Boxing should be an interesting one to try and incorporate!!

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Thanks bro. Any feedback would be appreciated. I would like to mix it up a bit.

Mr.50
Sorry for the late reply, we had a photo shoot for our first print ads with Johnny today:woohoo:

Ok- incorporating explosive training into a single bodypart scheme while focusing on boxing training:

Day 1 would look something like this, and this workout will work the legs and posterior chain:
3 sets x 5 reps explosive squats; 2-0-x tempo (two sec. on eccentric, no pause at bottom, and then up as fast as you can go, but don't lock out your knees. Focus on slight ankle extension at the top and keep the core engaged. Move with the weight instead of letting it get out of control and popping it off your shoulders. 1 set 60 %, 1 set 70%, 1 set 80%.

Rest intervals are going to be active and short. Jumping rope during the rest intervals would be a good active rest. The 1 RM percentages are low, but that is ok, because you are training a different energy system in boxing than you are in say powerlifting or football. Jump rope immediately after each completed exercise for 2 min., and then completely rest for 1-2 minutes :bruce3:

3 sets x 5 reps of unilateral dumbell snatches. These will take some practice, but the upside is huge. Focus on getting full extension off the ankle at the top w/o straightening your leg; x-catch-x, but controlled slightly on the way down for obvious reasons, and please please please don't conk yourself on the noggin on the way down. Focus on exploding forward with your hips while at the same time pulling/shrugging upward as hard as you can. Go 60%,70%, then 80%. Jump rope in between, and focus on keeping core tight, head position neutral, and lower back engaged.

3 sets x 5 reps unilateral hamstring curl 4-0-x
These are stabilized, so you can go 75%,80%, 90%. Work on being controlled but forceful in your change of direction, the quicker the reversal of eccentric to concentric, the better.

Ab work/med ball- overhead tosses with med ball, stability ball work, torso circles. This is a whole workout in a workout, more on this one some other time.

Focus on keeping the core engaged throughout the entire workout, and especially focus on this while reversing from eccentric to concentric, this is what will build the most explosiveness.

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Next workout

Day 2- boxing training and maybe some core work

Day 3- Chest

4 sets x 5 reps stability ball alternating dumbell press. These are fun: lay on the ball with the core of the ball in the middle of your back. Kick dumbells up to ready position Thrust hips up, abs tight, weight on heels. Keep this position throughout. Push both dumbells to top position. While holding one dumbell in top position, lower the other to your chest at a 2-0-x tempo, and focus on the change of direction from eccentric to concentric. Do this 5 times one each arm, all while having the opposing arm and dumbell in the top position. 65%, 2x 75%, 85%

Jump rope in between sets, focus on core position (Am I beginning to sound like a broken record?).

4 sets x 5 reps 3-1-x bench presses. 3 seconds down, pause 1 second, explode on the way up. Be aware of core position throughout. Superset with 5 clap pushups, while really focusing on explosion/change of direction.

Jump rope in between sets.

Ab work/Stability/Med ball

Day 4- boxing training

Day 5- back and arms
4 sets x 5 reps weighted pull-ups with stability ball put between your heels and butt. Hold core position. 2-0-x @ 60%, 70%, 2 x 75%

Jump rope in between sets. Focus on body position

3 sets x 5 reps curl presses- hold elbow in on shoulder with elbow flexor engaged, and punch up with chest and shoulder, and alternate arms (this is more of a track exercise, but it can transfer over) 2-0-x @ 70,75,85%

2 sets x 5 reps close grip bench 1-0-x. Really focus on change of direction, fire triceps back and shoulders 75%, 85%

Days 6 and 7- active rest

Incorporate this for 3 weeks into any program, and it should make a huge difference!!:woohoo:

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
D,

That is some awesome advice right there!

Customer Service's New Gold Standard.

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
:head:

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
looks great bro. I just got the post. I am going to review it in depth and then put it into action. I will keep you guys posted. Thanks again for what looks like great advice.

Mr.50

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
looks great bro. I just got the post. I am going to review it in depth and then put it into action. I will keep you guys posted. Thanks again for what looks like great advice.

Mr.50
No problem! If you have any questions, feel free to ask!!