Sport Performance Correlations and Maximal Force

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
doi: 10.1519/R-18695.1
The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research: Vol. 20, No. 4, pp. 867–873.

The Contribution of Maximal Force Production to Explosive Movement Among Young Collegiate Athletes
Mark D. Peterson and Brent A. Alvar

Department of Exercise and Wellness, Arizona State University, Mesa, Arizona 85212;

Matthew R. Rhea

Department of Physical Education, Southern Utah University, Cedar City, Utah 84720

ABSTRACT

Peterson, M.D., B.A. Alvar, and M.R. Rhea. The contribution of maximal force production to explosive movement among young collegiate athletes. J. Strength Cond. Res. 20(4): 867–873. 2006.—Critical to multidimensional sport conditioning is a systematic knowledge of the interactions between fitness components, as well as the transference relationships to performance. The purpose of this investigation was to examine the relationships between lower body muscular strength and several fundamental explosive performance measures. Fifty-four men and women collegiate athletes were tested to determine (a) lower-body muscular strength (1 repetition maximum barbell back squat), (b) countermovement vertical jump height and peak power output, (c) standing broad jump distance, (d) agility (cone T-test time), (e) sprint acceleration (m·s−2), and (f) sprint velocity (m·s−1). Analyses were performed using Pearson r correlations to examine these relationships. Partial correlations tested for relationships between performance measures while controlling for muscular strength. T-tests were performed to assess the difference between men and women. Correlation data demonstrated that significant (p < 0.01) strong linear relationships were indicated between muscular strength and power, as well as every sport-performance field tests. However, when controlling for strength with partial correlation, each of these relationships appreciably diminished. Significant differences (p < 0.05) were found between men and women for each of the performance tests. Muscular strength, peak power output, vertical jumping ability, standing broad jump, agility, sprint acceleration, and sprint velocity were all shown to be very highly related. Further examination demonstrated that body mass–adjusted muscular strength is more highly related to performance measures than is absolute muscular strength. Current correlation data provide a quantified look at the interaction between muscular fitness components, as well as the transfer relationship to several athletic-specific performance measures.

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
These findings concur with the hypothesis that body composition is important to performance parameters, and that to become more explosive in power and strength sports, you have to train in an explosive manner (DUH!)!

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
Quality Post D.

You got anything for us on slow motion movement and muscle growth?

I've been training lately combining explosive movements w/ sloooooooooooooooooooooow movements. Loving it so far!

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Quality Post D.

You got anything for us on slow motion movement and muscle growth?

I've been training lately combining explosive movements w/ sloooooooooooooooooooooow movements. Loving it so far!

I will ask Preston, the strength coach at UNCC- he is a big advocate of TUT. Preston trained under Charles Poliquin for years, and C.P. has actually written a book about this type of training method, The Poliquin Principles. I will look around, but this may be a tough one, and the best I can probably do on this is some EMG studies, but nothing long term:)

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
No rush.... I'd prefer you use your time to bring more products to the table. You are on a roll...... don't stop now.

:whip: :run: