Uncut- A New Encapsulated Pre-Workout From Applied Nutriceuticals

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
You heard it here first- a little teaser info about the product- release in a few weeks :)

Uncut FAQs and Write-Up (partial, we will fill in the blanks as the launch date nears)

Game-Changer, Genius, Revolutionary, Next-Level
: These are adjectives thrown around constantly by supplement companies, for every product release. Everything is the next best thing, till it isn’t- you hear these claims so often, they get diluted a little more with each new pre-workout released on the market. Talk is cheap- results are everything- is your “concentrated” pre-workout a diluted mess of clumpy flavors, fillers, and ingredients that you have never heard of? Applied Nutriceuticals wants to change this- we are taking the “fluff” completely out of pre-workout supplementation with a concept so innovative and potent that it will be copied for years to come. Want to add 3-5 more reps to each set, and 25-50 lbs. to each major lift- do I have your attention now? Get to the source, and get rid of the flavored crap- get UNCUT™ from Applied Nutriceuticals. UNCUT™ is 90 capsules of raw motivation in a bottle- a pre-workout pill that provides intense stimulation and focus, while providing animal physical neuromuscular strength- accomplished through a completely unique formulation. With Uncut™, Applied Nutriceuticals is the first company to actually pay attention to ingredient half-lives when formulating a pre-workout- and it will truly take your workout to a whole new level of intensity- F^&K 1 more rep, get 5!! UNCUT™ delivers concentrated contraction within every working muscle fiber (and we mean EVERY fiber) to deliver can-crushing, phone-book ripping strength and intense skin-splitting pumps! Your days of shoveling mounds of clumpy, foul-tastiing pre-workout powder into a shaker cup and chugging it down are over- get to the source: pure, potent, no-nonsense: UNCUT™.
The Basics:
-“THE” Only Truly Concentrated Pre-Workout- in a Capsule
-90 Capsules of Raw Strength in a Bottle; No Powders, Flavors, or Fluff
-Destroy Plateaus and Never Have an “Average” Workout Again
-Laser Focus with Intense Lasting Energy and Skin-Splitting Pumps
-Warning: Due to rapid strength gains of 25-50 lbs. on each major lift, muscular strength may outpace tendon strength- use accordingly

Frequently Asked Questions

1. How long before a workout should Uncut™ be taken? 20-30 minutes
  2. How long do the energy-enhancing effects of Uncut™ last? 3-5 hours
  3. How is Uncut™ different from my normal pre-workout? Uncut™ is encapsulated- no need for shaker cups or mixing clumpy powder; just take Uncut™ with 12 oz. of water to be ready to hit the weight room.
  4. What is a normal dose for Uncut™, and is there a dosage that should never be exceeded? The normal dosage for Uncut™ is 1-3 capsules; 1 capsule for smaller individuals, and people who are not very tolerant to stimulants, 2-3 capsules for stim-tolerant individuals and people who weigh over 200 lbs. ***Do not exceed 4 capsules in a 4 hour period***
  5. Uncut™ doesn’t contain arginine, or nitrates, but still provides a strong pump, why does it do this? Uncut™ provides a pump through the selective stimulation of β[SUB]2[/SUB] adrenoceptors, which have been shown in research to increase nitric oxide levels and vasodilation in skeletal muscle; Uncut™ also heightens sensitivity to nitric oxide, and allows for levels of cyclic AMP and cyclic GMP in smooth muscle to remain elevated through phosphodiasterase inhibition; all of these characteristics are helpful in increasing blood flow to skeletal muscle and allowing for greater pumps during your workout.
  6. Does Uncut™ contain 1,3 DMAA? And will it be as strong as products that contain 1,3 DMAA? Uncut™ does not contain 1,3 DMAA; and yes, it is as strong or stronger in terms of energy compared to products that contain 1,3 DMAA.
  7. Is Uncut™ NCAA-compliant? No, it contains a banned stimulant; all stimulants including caffeine are banned by the NCAA.
  8. I have a medical condition, should I check with my doctor before I take Uncut™? Yes, always consult your doctor before beginning any supplement regimen.
  9. How quickly will I see results from Uncut™? Uncut’s™ effects on energy enhancement occur within 20-30 minutes; generally strength and rep increases from the product occur within the first couple workouts after beginning Uncut™.
  10. Can I stack my normal pre-workout product with Uncut™? No, we do not recommend this- due to the unique properties of Uncut™ this will not be necessary.
  11. Will Uncut™ help me burn body fat as well? Yes, several of the ingredients are useful for lipolysis.
  12. Do I take Uncut™ with food, or on an empty stomach? Taking Uncut™ on an empty stomach is optimal, but it can be taken with food; however, food will lessen the effects, at least somewhat.
  13. Can I take Uncut™ other times during the day, just for an energy boost? This is not recommended because of the strength of Uncut™, plus, the effects of Uncut™ tend to diminish with time if overused; Black Cats® is a better option for an additional energy boost during the day.
  14. What can I stack with Uncut™ with? Uncut™ can be used with Drive during a workout for extreme pumps, as there are ingredients in Drive that will potentiate the effects of Uncut™. Uncut™ can be stacked successfully with any Applied Nutriceuticals product, as long as it is used in a pre-workout capacity.
  15. Are there any other products that I should not take with Uncut™? Avoid other strong stimulants while taking Uncut™- and this entails other pre-workout powders that contain stimulants.
  16. How much water should I drink per day while taking Uncut™? Try to drink at least 100 oz. of water per day while taking Uncut™; research has documented that a hydrated muscle is a much stronger muscle.
  17. Will Uncut™ suppress my appetite? Yes, using Uncut™ will temporarily decrease your appetite.
  18. Where can I buy Uncut™? Any retailer or e-tailer listed at Applied Nutriceuticals | Pre Workout Supplement, Fat Burner, Nutritional Supplements, Weight Loss Supplement
Here are a couple of the ingredients- more coming later- stayed tuned for the final formula- it is pretty awesome:

-Amentoflavone (from Herba selaginella)-
Bioavailability- marginal; logP 5.09; use of p-glycoprotein inhibitor may improve this (piperine or naringin)
Onset- Undetermined, from data gathered may be accumulated readily in system over multiple uses
Tᵐᵃᵡ- Undetermined; calcium-releasing effects in SR may take several administrations to manifest

A biflavone found in Gingko biloba, Hypercium perforatum, Herba selaginella, and many other herbals; amentoflavone has some very unique properties. The compound antagonizes GABA-A receptors, inhibits acetylcholine esterase (AChE), increases calcium release from the sarcoplasmic reticulum in skeletal muscle, can act as an inhibitor of phosphodiasterase (non-specific; seems to be geared mostly towards 4 and 5), and can modulate the insulin pathway. SAR (Structure Activity Relationship) data has shown that amentoflavone can potentially bind to multiple pharmacological targets; in Uncut™, the mechanisms of greatest interest are the ability to inhibit AChE (see above), to reduce phosphodiasterase (PDE4 and PDE5), and the propensity to increase calcium release from the SR in skeletal muscle (see below vs. Caffeine structure) (6,9,10). Suzuki, et al. 1999 found the following: “Amentoflavone, like caffeine, caused a concentration-dependent increase in Ca[SUP]2+[/SUP] release from the heavy fraction of fragmented sarcoplasmic reticulum of rabbit skeletal muscle. The Ca[SUP]2+[/SUP]-releasing activity of amentoflavone was approximately 20 times more potent than that of caffeine….. amentoflavone was not changed by caffeine, but was further increased by adenosine-5′-(β,γ-methylene) triphosphate. This compound enhanced [ ]ryanodine binding to the heavy fraction of fragmented sarcoplasmic reticulum with a decrease in K[SUB]D[/SUB] but without a change in B[SUB]max[/SUB]. These results suggest that amentoflavone, which does not contain a nitrogen atom, probably binds to the caffeine-binding site in Ca[SUP]2+[/SUP] channels and thus potentiates Ca[SUP]2+[/SUP]-induced Ca[SUP]2+[/SUP] release from the heavy fraction of fragmented sarcoplasmic reticulum.” (9,10)
Another study by Dell’Agli M et al. (2006) found that “Ginkgo biloba dimeric flavonoids (GBDF) were shown to inhibit cAMP phosphodiesterase activity and to promote vasorelaxation. In particular, amentoflavone exhibited endothelium-dependent relaxation of rat aorta rings via enhanced generation and/or increased biological activity of nitric oxide, leading to elevated cGMP levels. The aim of this study was to investigate whether GBDF were able to inhibit cGMP-specific phosphodiesterase-5 (PDE5) as well. Human recombinant PDE5A1 was prepared by expression of the full-length cDNA of PDE5A1 in COS-7 cells. The PDE activity was determined in the presence of biflavones at 0.1-100 microM. All biflavones inhibited PDE5A1 in a concentration-dependent fashion, ginkgetin being the most potent (IC50 = 0.59 microM). The ability to inhibit the enzyme followed this order: ginkgetin > bilobetin > sciadopitysin > amentoflavone > sequoiaflavone. These data suggest that GBDF could exert a vasodilating effect through a mechanism independent of NO release.” (5) PDE5 is an enzyme that binds and hydrolyzes cyclic guanidine monophosphate (cGMP), a second messenger responsible for vasodilatory functions in skeletal muscle (among other functions); by inhibiting PDE5, amentoflavone can allow for higher amounts of cGMP to accumulate in skeletal muscle tissue, allowing for greater venous activity. Note the structural similarities between sildenafil, icariin, and amentoflavone (below; all of which have PDE5-inhibitory activity), and cGMP; According to Chen (2009) SAR activity dictates: (1) Hydrophobic compounds tend to be more potent PDE-5 inhibitors; (2) Because of the big binding site, inhibitors with molecular weights over 500 remain potent; (3) From the pharmacophore analysis, the features of hydrogen bond acceptors are the basis for designing novel inhibitors of PDE-5 and (4) According to MLR analysis, the number of ring groups could be up to 6, but the number of aromatic rings was limited to 4 to be potent.” (12) This signifies some PDE5 inhibitory activity for amentoflavone, but due to the higher number of ring groups (6) and a higher molecular weight (538 g/mol), this effect may not be as “enhanced” as some of the other “pharmaceutically”-tweaked PDE5 inhibitors (sildenafil and the like)with a lower molecular weight and a lesser numerical ring structure. Another related aforementioned characteristic of amentoflavone is PDE4 inhibition; PDE4 specifically hydrolyzes adenosine 3',5'-cyclic monophosphate (cAMP) to inactive adenosine monophosphate (AMP)(11,12,39,40,48). This effect is fairly obvious in the structural comparisons between cAMP, Roflumilast (a pharmaceutical PDE4 Inhibitor), amentoflavone, and Moracin M; interestingly, none of the herbal PDE inhibitors contain an aliphatic amine (or nitrogen for that matter) and have multiple polar hydrogen atoms, which indicate that they will have little or no BBB permeability. Amentoflavone retains these characteristics, and does retain some specificity for the PDE4 binding pocket, thus allowing greater amounts of cAMP to accumulate in multiple types of peripheral tissue. Using Moracin M (which has been assayed for specific PDE4 binding sites) as an analogue due to their similar structural characteristics (especially to apigenin, of which amentoflavone is a homologue dimer), one can extrapolate some similarities to amentoflavone in binding characteristics to PDE4 (6,14-15,20,23-24,28). Chen et al. (2012) found that Moracin M “inhibited PDE4D2, PDE4B2, PDE5A1, and PDE9A2 with the IC(50) values of 2.9, 4.5, >40, and >100 μM, respectively. Our molecular docking and 8ns molecular dynamics (MD) simulations demonstrated that moracin M forms three hydrogen bonds with Gln369, Asn321, and Asp318 in the active site and stacks against Phe372.”(15)

-Caffeine Anhydrous-
Bioavailability- high; logP -0.55
Onset- Rapid, generally 5-10 minutes
Tᵐᵃᵡ- variable; 30-60 minutes
Trimethylxanthine stimulant compound that produces effects in the CNS and also on the metabolism; there is also evidence that caffeine may inhibit AChE (see above in reference to Huperzine A/ACh SAR). Caffeine is both water- and lipid-soluble, and can penetrate the BBB, and readily antagonizes adenosine receptors (especially A₁ and A₂ᴬ). By antagonizing A₁ (which mediates the flow of calcium into the neuron) and A₂ᴬ (which regulate adenylate cyclase activity), caffeine can influence the dopaminergic system and also the sleep/wake cycle. Adenosine binding also appears to suppress tyrosine hydroxylase, which is needed to convert tyrosine into L-Dopa, which is a major step in catecholamine production. Caffeine has been shown to have the ability to release calcium from the sarcoplasmic reticulum (SR), an effect that can improve the contractile force of skeletal muscle (16,29): “Caffeine also potentiates CICR (Calcium Induced Calcium Release), but unlike ATP, it increases the Ca[SUP]2+[/SUP] sensitivity of CICR in addition to the maximum response at the optimal Ca[SUP]2+[/SUP] concentration……In mammalian skeletal and cardiac muscle, however, a high concentration of caffeine induces Ca[SUP]2+[/SUP] release via RyR in the virtual absence of Ca[SUP]2+[/SUP] (0.08–2 nM), provided that Mg[SUP]2+[/SUP] is absent…… Although the rate of CICR is much lower than the rate of physiological Ca[SUP]2+[/SUP] release, the usually undetectable CICR becomes detectable when it is potentiated by caffeine….. Caffeine at high concentrations can induce contracture of skeletal muscle without changing membrane potentials. At lower concentrations, it can potentiate twitches without changing action potentials and can shift the relation between membrane potentials and activation to a more negative potential in potassium contracture and in voltage-clamp experiments without changing the charge movement of t-tubule voltage sensor.” (16,29)

Caffeine has been shown to enhance muscular contraction in relation to athletic performance in multiple studies; A study by Bazucchi et al. in 2011 on adolescent males (human study) found that caffeine increased muscle fiber conduction velocity and maximal dynamic muscular contractions in the biceps brachii. The researchers found that contractile force was enhanced significantly after caffeine supplementation, which supports the hypothesis that caffeine has a positive effect on motor unit recruitment (17). Astorino et al. (2010) found that caffeine dose-dependency was a factor in caffeine-related force production; researchers discovered that doses of 2 mg/kg of caffeine before exercise did little to improve isokinetic muscular function, while a dose of 5 mg/kg produced a significant enhancing effect on force production (2).

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yikes!

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Whats the ETA look like for this?

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
There are a total of 9 active ingredients, plus vitamin/mineral co-factors....

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
NO Uptake + Uncut = Best Workout Ever?
We are working on something similar to, but more potent than NO Uptake......and yes, the new products will stack together phenomenally well :)

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There are a total of 9 active ingredients, plus vitamin/mineral co-factors....
Any hints on the ingredients? Like pathways that are utilized?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
We are working on something similar to, but more potent than NO Uptake......and yes, the new products will stack together phenomenally well :)
I'm a big fan of Uptake so that sounds awesome!

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
I love the warning disclaimer given!

-OS-Team AppNut

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How come none of these made it into my package with NO Uptake??? :(

In for more info.

jdg76

jdg76

Awards
  • Established
How come none of these made it into my package with NO Uptake??? :(

In for more info.
Because they gave them all to me. :p

Cordeen

Awards
  • Established
Awesome news. RPM still hanging around though? Love the stuff.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hope so

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
This will actually be a big upgrade of RPM- stronger stimulant component, better pump, better strength gains, better formula through more recent R&D; RPM has been on the market for almost 6 years now (so has Drive)- kind of hard to believe......

We will be sending out samples of Uncut very soon- stay tuned in so you can find out how to try the product- we will also be running some really aggressive contests and promos over the next few weeks as well

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Any hints on the ingredients? Like pathways that are utilized?

You have a couple pathways in the ingredient descriptions above- but here are a couple:
1. Excitation-contraction
2. CICR in skeletal muscle for longer, harder muscular contractions (noticeable strength and rep gains)
3. Inhibition of PDE4 and 5 (pump)
4. Synchronization of ingredient half-lives (important)

Several more, but I will post these over the next couple weeks.....

jdg76

jdg76

Awards
  • Established
jdg76

jdg76

Awards
  • Established
Waiting on the next Betas!! Come on Rms80!! LOL

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
This will actually be a big upgrade of RPM- stronger stimulant component, better pump, better strength gains, better formula through more recent R&D; RPM has been on the market for almost 6 years now (so has Drive)- kind of hard to believe......

We will be sending out samples of Uncut very soon- stay tuned in so you can find out how to try the product- we will also be running some really aggressive contests and promos over the next few weeks as well
now you have my attention....kind of a rpm drive combo in one with added stims.....hell yeah!!!

4 caps of rpm uncaaped in chrystal lite used to be my fav...

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
now you have my attention....kind of a rpm drive combo in one with added stims.....hell yeah!!!

4 caps of rpm uncaaped in chrystal lite used to be my fav...
Is that actually tolerable? Because RPM is horrid uncapped. I imagine Uncut to beat that out without having to open the capsules.

-OS-Team AppNut

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Is that actually tolerable? Because RPM is horrid uncapped. I imagine Uncut to beat that out without having to open the capsules.

-OS-Team AppNut
lol...it isn't pleasant....i am always interested in new stim formulas since the fda's seems intent on banning all the old school formulas that worked so well.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
lol...it isn't pleasant....i am always interested in new stim formulas since the fda's seems intent on banning all the old school formulas that worked so well.
So they can keep America fat along with their wallets bc their hands r in The pockets of insurance and doctors???... Woa whered that come from

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
So they can keep America fat along with their wallets bc their hands r in The pockets of insurance and doctors???... Woa whered that come from
lol....don't you go and get me started....:soapbox:

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
lol....don't you go and get me started....:soapbox:
The formulation is DSHEA-compliant, so I don't think we are going to have any issues.......

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
The formulation is DSHEA-compliant, so I don't think we are going to have any issues.......
i wish you much good fortune....i am glad to see innovation is still at play. i know that when rpm was 1st released it was cutting edge, hopefully you will have the same success with uncut!!!

Mack411

Mack411

Awards
Subbed for release!

Nugget5

Awards
What's going on in here?

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I'll believe it when I see the dose of amentoflavone :D
W/O giving away the formula, 200-300 mg of the 20% per 3 capsules (so 40-60 mg pure material)- not a cheap compound, but when you hit threshold, you really notice it, especially for focus and strength- dosage is really dependant on what you use it for- it is a PTP-1 inhibitor as well (think insulin pathway)- bioavailability kind of sucks ass (high logP), but with a p-glycoprotein inhibitor present, it may slow efflux (at least somewhat)- very hydrophobic (5.09), so even w/o efflux there may be some substance that kicks back through the lipid bilayer

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'll believe it when I see the dose of amentoflavone :D
I was excited see this as this is one of the two new DSHEA compliant stimulants in HTP blog that I haven't tried.

Good stuff AppNut!

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

Sprinterguy4

Sprinterguy4

Awards
So when amentoflavone and caffeine in the product stimulating a release in calcium, would it be wise to supplement calcium alongside uncut for long term use?

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
So when amentoflavone and caffeine in the product stimulating a release in calcium, would it be wise to supplement calcium alongside uncut for long term use?
Good question- the answer is probably not, at least from what I have seen, the western diet tends to be very adequate when it comes to calcium intake.....

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Good question- the answer is probably not, at least from what I have seen, the western diet tends to be very adequate when it comes to calcium intake.....
There is actually good data showing that while calcium content of the diet is high, overall absorption is low.

domore

Awards
I like Huperzine A, too. Dang, this should be a fun product!

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Waiting to hear more :banana:

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
There is actually good data showing that while calcium content of the diet is high, overall absorption is low.
Good point- in real terms intake doesn't equal bioavailability- calcium seems to have varying bioavailability from source to source (without any specialized delivery systems), below is the discussion portion of a study by Heaney et al. (2001) J Am Coll Nutr June 2001 vol. 20 no. 3 239-246- it looks at relative calcium bioavailability and cost effectiveness in post-menopausal women taking a couple different calcium supps:
"Calcium supplementation has been shown, in well-controlled clinical studies, to slow age-related bone loss and reduce the risk of hip and other fractures in middle aged and older men and women. Using U.S. data on the medical costs associated with hip fracture compared to the costs of preventive supplementation with calcium, Bendich et al. found that supplementation targeted at those at greatest risk could save over $2.5 billion/year [4]. However, cost-effectiveness of calcium supplementation depends not only on the cost of the product, but on the efficiency of its absorption. All published cost-benefit analyses to date have assumed not only an average price per gram of calcium regardless of the salt, but equal bioavailability for all calcium sources.
Shangraw [14] had previously shown marked differences in dissolution of calcium supplement preparations, due solely to pharmaceutical formulation differences, and unpublished experience of one of us (RPH) has demonstrated that not all preparations of the same salt exhibit equivalent absorbability. Finally, Heller et al. [7] explicitly raised this question in their recent paper. It is reassuring, therefore, to note that, in this study, Os-Cal® and the non-pharmaceutic, precipitated calcium carbonate exhibited identical bioavailability values. Thus for at least one marketed calcium carbonate product, pharmaceutical formulation does not alter the intrinsic bioavailability of its calcium salt. The same conclusion is probably applicable to the marketed citrate product as well. This is because it did not differ from non-pharmaceutic calcium carbonate in this study and because we had previously shown that the bioavailability values of the pure carbonate and citrate salts were identical [8].
Interestingly, however, and not previously described, several small differences were noted in pattern of response between the citrate and carbonate sources. None was statistically significant in isolation, but taken together, their mutual consistency suggests underlying differences in metabolic response to the two salts. These effects were i) although the rise in total calcium was the same, slightly less of the increment in serum calcium following the carbonate products was carried as the ionized form and slightly more as the bound form, relative to the citrate salt; ii) PTH suppression was slightly greater for the Citracal® than for the Os-Cal®, and the difference approximately coincided with the time points at which the ionized calcium differences were most prominent; and iii) urine calcium excretion in the 5 to 24 hour pool was higher for the Citracal® than for Os-Cal®. The relative depression is shown most clearly in Fig. 4, which plots ionized calcium as a percent of total calcium and shows slightly lower values for the Os-Cal® from 5 to 9 hours. This relative depression may reflect a very slight degree of alkalosis due to exhalation of CO[SUB]2[/SUB] from the carbonate anion, but the reason for the delay after ingestion is unclear. Physiologically, these changes are mutually consistent, since a higher ionized calcium would be expected to lead to a greater depression of PTH release, to an increased filtered calcium load at the kidney and, through lowered PTH, to decreased tubular reabsorption of calcium. Although the greater rise in urine calcium with calcium citrate was not statistically significant in this study, it is worth noting that Heller et al. [7] reported a significant loss of calcium in urine following supplementation with calcium citrate (Citracal®) which was not seen with an equivalent dose of calcium carbonate (Os-Cal®).

We had not designed the study to evaluate this issue, and, indeed, we had not anticipated it. Nevertheless, it is worth noting that the finding of a slight increase in calcium excretion with the citrate source is consistent with what we had reported previously [8]. In that earlier investigation, despite identical tracer-based absorption fractions for the citrate and carbonate salts of calcium, there was a tendency for the urine calcium increment to be greater with the citrate than with the carbonate. We had attributed that finding to a calciuric effect of absorbed citrate, but, in view of the ionized calcium findings in this study, it may, instead, reflect a mild alkalotic effect of the carbonate salt.
On a methodologic note, it may be worth mentioning that the increments in urine calcium were substantially more variable than the increments in serum calcium. The coefficients of variation (CVs) of the serum and urine calcium increments at their peak values (3 and 5 hours for serum and 0 to 5 hours for urine), for all calcium sources, were 38% to 60% for serum and 77% to 99% for urine. This roughly twofold greater variability underscores, as we have noted previously [8], the relative weakness of using the rise in urine calcium to estimate absorptive performance, particularly for loads as small as 500 mg.
For this study, the retail cost per 1000 mg of ingested calcium was between $0.16 and $0.20 for the marketed calcium carbonate product and between $0.24 and $0.38 for the marketed calcium citrate product. Since both sources exhibited equivalent bioavailability, it is clear that the carbonate source was the less expensive of the two per unit of absorbed calcium and would therefore exhibit a more favorable cost-benefit relationship in a cost-effectiveness analyses such as set forth in Table 4. Additionally, although not usually considered in cost benefit analysis, the greater calcium density of carbonate-based products means that fewer pills are needed to achieve a desired supplement intake, a factor known to influence patient compliance [15].
In this study we used 25(OH)D as a rapid and efficient means of ensuring approximately equivalent vitamin D status in all subjects. Such treatment would not be a part of population-level supplementation, and its costs are, accordingly, not a part of our calculations. Vitamin D is contained in both of the supplements tested here, and its cost is, therefore, already factored into the analysis summarized in Table 4.
While we tested only two commercially available products in this analysis, our purpose was not so much to contrast these two specifically as to use them as examples for a type of calculation and analysis that should be performed for all marketed calcium supplement products. It was beyond the scope of this project to undertake an exhaustive survey of different pharmaceutical formulations, although we believe this should be done. It is a matter of commonplace experience that there are many other alcium products available, at least some of which explicitly meet the USP disintegration and dissolution standards for calcium upplements (and therefore can be presumed to have a bioavailability comparable to what we found here). Their prices range from as low as $0.09 per 1000 mg to as much as $0.53. Lacking bioavailability data for most of these products, it is uncertain whether any of them would exhibit an advantage over the products tested here.
In conclusion, based upon bioavailability, cost and clinical efficacy, calcium carbonate, in the form of Os-Cal®, would appear to be a good choice for calcium supplementation in a US population at risk for both low bone mineral density and hip fracture."

xhrr

Awards
Its interesting that as high in calcium as the western diet is the amount of osteoporosis cases seen. Osteoporosis is basically non existent in other parts of the world and they consume much less calcium. Mainly due to the fact that many americans work sedentary jobs and in other countries they do much more manual labor which is probably the reasoning behind bone strengthening. A little off topic but interesting none the less.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Its interesting that as high in calcium as the western diet is the amount of osteoporosis cases seen. Osteoporosis is basically non existent in other parts of the world and they consume much less calcium. Mainly due to the fact that many americans work sedentary jobs and in other countries they do much more manual labor which is probably the reasoning behind bone strengthening. A little off topic but interesting none the less.
Its is because the true culprit in osteoporosis are deficiencies of vitD, K2 and magnesium.

domore

Awards
Its is because the true culprit in osteoporosis are deficiencies of vitD, K2 and magnesium.

True!

Did you get my PM?