The One/Cardio

goose7919

Awards
Hey guys, I'm a noob here but have been reading these threads. I'm a PH virgin, just started The One yesterday. I'm a natural hardgainer who has managed to gain 30 lbs (current weight is around 137) and keep it, but just can't break past it. So, of course I'm using The One to bulk with, but my question is should I be doing any cardio while using it or wait until I start PCT? Normally cardio devastates any gains I have made, as I can drop weight super fast. Also I'm decently active with work, wakeboarding, tubing, etc. Just wanted some thoughts from the pros! Thanks!

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey guys, I'm a noob here but have been reading these threads. I'm a PH virgin, just started The One yesterday. I'm a natural hardgainer who has managed to gain 30 lbs (current weight is around 137) and keep it, but just can't break past it. So, of course I'm using The One to bulk with, but my question is should I be doing any cardio while using it or wait until I start PCT? Normally cardio devastates any gains I have made, as I can drop weight super fast. Also I'm decently active with work, wakeboarding, tubing, etc. Just wanted some thoughts from the pros! Thanks!
If you're a hardgainer trying to bulk up and cardio devastates any gains you make then NOT doing cardio is the what would I would recommend (and it is common sense). Generally cardio if you're bulking is not recommended anyways, nor is it necessary.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
Also I'm decently active with work, wakeboarding, tubing, etc. Just wanted some thoughts from the pros! Thanks!
where do you work? the beach? is this David Hasselhoff? j/k....if oyu still want to do cardio, maybe like 2 times a week just ot keep conditioning up, then simply increase your cals and possibly carbs around your sessions, this will help with the extra cals and carbs your going to expend during cardio. i never cut cardio out all together, for 1 reason. when i have stopped cardio for long periods in the past, its such a bi**h to start up again. if you do HIIT style then the carbs should not have to come up that much if any but the cals will.

goose7919

Awards
Thanks guys! Yeah, I was planning on leaving out cardio, just wanted some expert advice to make sure. And no, this isn't the Hoff :laugh2:. I live on a lake and work in an operating room, where I'm ALWAYS moving!

Umberto

Umberto

Awards
Not trying to bust on you but 137 is really light unless your a female. Even at 5'6"
If your not gaining then its obvious your not taking in enough calories. Regardless of whatever anyone says, this is the case, you cant trick the laws of thermodynamics. It doesnt matter how much you think you eat or how full you feel. Its a simple matter of mass in being equal to the amount you burn out and excrete.
You gotta get analytical and look at your calorie intake. If your not gaining increase and dont complain if you dont see the 15 lbs your supposed to gain if you dont change your eating habits
The one will help you get stronger maybe but if you calorie intake doesnt increase you cant expect anything to change. A car will not run without gas.

When you come to this realization it will free your mind in a sense and you will see the advantages you have as far as metabolism. You can eat an assload of what u want and probably gain miniml fat. Its a double edge sword, just look at the advantage you have. Someone like me gains weight easy but tends to put on more fat, which sucks when it comes to cutting.

Outside Backer

Outside Backer

Awards
  • Established
1) if you wanna be 150lbs you need to eat like a 150lber that was the hardest thing I had to learn in my quest for bulk

2) no matter whats its my honest opinion that some form of cardio needs to be done and not overlooked

I am not talking about a HIIT all out tilt

a simple 20 min at about 60-65% heart rate will suffice to keep your self in check.

getting big and getting fat are 2 diff things

plus like i have also noted. PH's play on the cardivascular system, cholesterol etc.

so the overall goal should be as a healthy of a cycle as possible

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
cardio needs to be done no matter what. Even just 1 time a week to help the cardiovascular system and heart stay strong.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
1) if you wanna be 150lbs you need to eat like a 150lber that was the hardest thing I had to learn in my quest for bulk

2) no matter whats its my honest opinion that some form of cardio needs to be done and not overlooked

a simple 20 min at about 60-65% heart rate will suffice to keep your self in check.

plus like i have also noted. PH's play on the cardivascular system, cholesterol etc.

agree 110%. Cardio will help prevent lesions in the heart as well.

Orangepeel

Orangepeel

Awards
  • Established

Why not HIIT? In my experience HIIT seems to be my best option for a beneficial cardio workout without killing lean mass.

Outside Backer

Outside Backer

Awards
  • Established
just personal opinion

ive always read that slow and longer burn the most fat and spare the most muscle and short burstss rely on glucose storage etc

I am by no means the expert on that subject

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
IMO, HIIT is far superior to just long, slow cardio. For one you don't need to do it as long (i.e. it's more effective), and it increases your metabolism for far longer than just the cardio session.

Actually, Layne Norton explains why HIIT is better than longer, slower cardio well:
Another question that often arises regarding cardio is the argument "Low-Intensity vs High-Intensity" cardio. Many people automatically assume that low-intensity cardio is better; citing that high-intensity cardio primarily utilizes glucose (anaerobic metabolism), while low-intensity cardio primarily burns fat (aerobic metabolism).

Once again, the substrate used during cardiovascular work is not as important as the caloric deficit created by the cardiovascular work. In actuality, high-intensity cardiovascular work is superior to low-intensity cardio for several reasons

High intensity cardio has a much stronger effect on GLUT-4 translocation in muscle cells due to the increased force of muscle contraction. This means that high-intensity cardio creates a much stronger nutrient partitioning effect towards muscle tissue than low-intensity cardio.

Low periods of low-intensity exercise tend to "overtrain" the fast-twitch muscle fibers and convert the intermediate muscle fibers to slow-twitch fibers. This is not a desirable effect as the fast twitch muscle fibers are those that have the greatest chance to hypertrophy. If your body has less fast twitch fibers, then you will experience less hypertrophy from training.

The body's hormonal response to high intensity cardio is similar to the body's hormonal response to resistance training (i.e. increased insulin sensitivity, gh release, Igf-1 release, etc) without placing the same strain on the nervous system as resistance training.

High-intensity cardio causes the body to preferentially store more carbohydrates and burn more fat.

High-intensity cardiovascular exercise increases oxygen expenditure and forces the body to adapt by becoming more efficient at oxygen transport (increase in VO2 max). More efficient oxygen transport to the muscles will increase fat oxidation as fat oxidation is dependant upon the presence of oxygen.

High-intensity cardio seems to be more muscle sparing. Several studies have shown that high-intensity interval training (aka HIT) burns less calories when compared to continuous lower intensity cardio. However, the skinfold losses were greater with the HIT group than in the continuous intensity group. This means not only did the HIT group lose more fat, they also spared more muscle tissue by burning less overall calories .

~Rosie
Team APPNUT