Just got my 9 day DRIVE sample, what to expect?

Babylon1023

Awards
I know 9 days isn't enough for all the effects of DRIVE to fully kick in, but I was wondering what effects I'd feel right away, which I should feel by the end of the 9 day sample, and which effects I'd only feel after a month or more on it. I'm 190lbs right now and just starting to get in shape (40lbs of fat to lose). I do 2 full body workouts per week but spend most of my gym time in cardio (4 days). I also don't have a lot of energy and motivation can sometimes fall prey to laziness, which helped get me in this condition. Also pretty stim tolerant (I can take 4 RPM caps and get only a mild buzz off it). That said, what am I in for here?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know 9 days isn't enough for all the effects of DRIVE to fully kick in, but I was wondering what effects I'd feel right away, which I should feel by the end of the 9 day sample, and which effects I'd only feel after a month or more on it. I'm 190lbs right now and just starting to get in shape (40lbs of fat to lose). I do 2 full body workouts per week but spend most of my gym time in cardio (4 days). I also don't have a lot of energy and motivation can sometimes fall prey to laziness, which helped get me in this condition. Also pretty stim tolerant (I can take 4 RPM caps and get only a mild buzz off it). That said, what am I in for here?
Drive may kick in in 7 days (between 7-10 days is the norm for males). The first effect (and you may get this immediately) is a nausea; this is from the Forslean, and can upset your stomach.

By the end of 9 days you should experience the following:
* Increased muscular endurance
* Increased muscular strength
* Improved recovery time
* Increased libido
* Better mood

After a month or more you would all the effects mentioned above would become more noticeable, and you would continue making improvements. Speed endurance would also be something that you would notice after a month. Lean muscle growth would also be an effect you would have.

Sounds like you're wanting to lose fat. If I were you I would focus more on RESISTANCE training than cardio to lose the fat, since it is MORE effective at burning fat, since it increases your metabolism (and keeps it raised for longer), and increases muscle mass (more muscle = higher metabolism = faster fat loss). If you do cardio, do it on days you don't do resistance training, and ramp it up (i.e. higher intensity; include intervals, etc.) and only do 20-30 minutes (since that's ENOUGH).

Babylon1023

Awards
Hi there!

1) So after a month there are no -new- benefits per se, just the same ones with increased intensity, and possibly some fat loss to top it off.

2) I noticed you didn't mention increased energy, which is what I thought was something it did. The other benefits I thought was more or less covered by creatine (apart from libido, and I'm horny enough as it is), which begs me to ask...

3) For my purposes would I be better off focusing more on a Lipotrophin AM/PM stack?

As for my workouts, when I was doing 50/50 cardio and weights I didn't notice much downward movement in my weight, whereas I did when I increased the cardio. I know you have more experience with this and therefore could shed some light to this theory, but I thought weight training in the hopes of substantial mass gains (and therefore calorie burning capacity) isn't realistic when you're on a 30% calorie deficit like me. I was told many times that the best I could hope for outside of newbie and CNS gains was to maintain what I had and save the actual muscle building for when I ate above maintenance.

BTW- I've read your posts and know your love for DRIVE, yet I thought women and test boosters don't mix well. What's up with that? :)

BTW2- About my cardio. Right now I'm training with a Polar F11 heart rate monitor and it has a built in workout program. Right now it has a 2150 calorie a week program that suggests 4 cardio sessions as follows, in any order:

1) Long workout - 50 min low intensity (115-134 bpm) with 15 min medium intensity (135-153 bpm) mixed in.

2) Short workout - 30 minutes equal parts of high intensity (154-173 bpm) and medium intensity (135-153 bpm). (I do it with 2 min hi / 2 min med intervals).

3) Medium workout (twice per week) - 45 minutes medium intensity (135-153 bpm) for the whole workout duration.

I was going to give it a few more months to see if I do well on it or if there's some wisdom in training in all 3 zones in such a manner. What do you think?

loofer

Awards
Honestly, you should expect nothing. Product is a waste of money. I wouldn't listen to any advice given by a rep, especially guejsn, biggest shill of all time.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
1) So after a month there are no -new- benefits per se, just the same ones with increased intensity, and possibly some fat loss to top it off.
With most products there are no "new' benefits. Just a more noticeable effect of the ones that they are said to produce. And as for what "benefits" you get will also depend on your type of training and diet, etc.

2) I noticed you didn't mention increased energy, which is what I thought was something it did. The other benefits I thought was more or less covered by creatine (apart from libido, and I'm horny enough as it is), which begs me to ask...
RPM is the smooth, focussed energy product (and you won't get a "buzz" from it, as it doesn't give "stimulant-type" effects, although it DOES give energy and focus); Drive is a testosterone booster. As for the benefits of creatine, there are many, including greater recovery and increased muscle mass and strength. Creatine is a completely different product altogether to a testosterone booster.

3) For my purposes would I be better off focusing more on a Lipotrophin AM/PM stack?
You could try that. Or you could try the Drive/RPM stack. Or IGF-2/NeoVar Recomped stack. Depends whether you JUST want to lose fat. Or you want to improve athletic performance, or gain muscle mass, or improve strength and endurance as well.

As for my workouts, when I was doing 50/50 cardio and weights I didn't notice much downward movement in my weight, whereas I did when I increased the cardio. I know you have more experience with this and therefore could shed some light to this theory, but I thought weight training in the hopes of substantial mass gains (and therefore calorie burning capacity) isn't realistic when you're on a 30% calorie deficit like me. I was told many times that the best I could hope for outside of newbie and CNS gains was to maintain what I had and save the actual muscle building for when I ate above maintenance.
Whether you are on a calorie deficit or not, resistance training is still going to be better for fat loss. Personally I think cardio is overrrated, and is really only good for inproving/maintaining cardiovascular fitness. And why so concerned about the WEIGHT? You should focus on BODY COMPOSITION. If you're lifting and losing bodyfat, but the scale is not changing, then you are also gaining muscle mass. And personally I don't believe in low calorie diets for fat loss, either (which is why cardio could be incorporated into a training programme; but still eat the same). Then again, everyone's body reacts differently and what may work for some may not work for others. I just think that you are selling yourself short doing more cardio and less resistance training. And I know from experience (having been forced for the last 7.5 weeks to not do any resistance training due to injury) that doing cardio alone, whether lean or not, just makes my body look (and be) soft; while if I was doing resistance training my body at the same BF% is hard and defined and feels stronger.

BTW- I've read your posts and know your love for DRIVE, yet I thought women and test boosters don't mix well. What's up with that? :)
Did I ever say I loved Drive? LOL. There is NOTHING wrong with females using testosterone boosters. As long as there is a purpose for it, and they're not just blindly following someone's recommendation. There are many myths out there and mindsets that need to be broken; many females think that testosterone boosters are HORMONAL products, when many are actually not (and there's NOTHING wrong with natural products for a female). Females CAN use testosterone boosters safely and without issues. However, some testosterone booster products such as Activate Xtreme (or anything containing nettle root in) are not advisable for females simply because if the female is using BC, the nettle root interefers with and renders the BC ineffective (this may be what you mean about them not "mixing well"); and can also affect the menstrual cycle. In saying that, if a female were to use a testosterone booster, you'd still want to make sure that she has a decent training history, her diet is spot on, she is knowledgeable and experienced with supplements, and she knows WHY she's using what she is.

BTW2- About my cardio. Right now I'm training with a Polar F11 heart rate monitor and it has a built in workout program. Right now it has a 2150 calorie a week program that suggests 4 cardio sessions as follows, in any order:

1) Long workout - 50 min low intensity (115-134 bpm) with 15 min medium intensity (135-153 bpm) mixed in.

2) Short workout - 30 minutes equal parts of high intensity (154-173 bpm) and medium intensity (135-153 bpm). (I do it with 2 min hi / 2 min med intervals).

3) Medium workout (twice per week) - 45 minutes medium intensity (135-153 bpm) for the whole workout duration.

I was going to give it a few more months to see if I do well on it or if there's some wisdom in training in all 3 zones in such a manner. What do you think?
There's no such thing as a "Fat Loss" heart rate zone. The higher the intensity the more calories you will lose overall, period (which is why I never train in the "Fat Loss" zone. The differences between low and high intensity are:
* At low intensity you burn only the calories that you use DURING the session; at higher intensities you burn the calories used in the session, but continue to burn calories for up to 8 hours afterwards (depending on the intensity).
* At low intensity fat may be used primarily (after 5-10 minutes); at higher intensity glycogen is primarily used, but then fat is lost afterwards.
* At low intensity you need to do longer periods od cardio to get the same effect as you would from a short high intensity session.

Personally I would never use such a programme. But that's me. It's really up to you.

Honestly, you should expect nothing. Product is a waste of money. I wouldn't listen to any advice given by a rep, especially guejsn, biggest shill of all time.
You will find that ALL the AN reps are honest and objective in their assessment and description of supplements/products, including AND excluding our range.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Wow. Really off to a good start aren'tcha?

Drive is not a waste of money, but it's not an all out fat-burner either. IMO, it shines particularly during a lean bulk or recomp for fat prevention. That being said, I'm a fan of forslean all the time, no matter what my current goal.

And Rosie knows her stuff, that personal hit was uncalled for entirely. If you disagree, there are far more placid ways of expressing yourself without bashing anybody.

Babylon1023

Awards
So as far as exercise programs go, what would you recommend for somebody who is just getting in shape and has 40lbs of fat to lose (or 100 to lose in the case of my wife)? Somebody with so much BF that they're not ready for a typical bulk and cut cycle? I'm assuming the diet portion would start with about a 30% deficit from maintenance, but where to from there?

The limitations in my case is that during the week I work two jobs, so 3 or 4 days of the week I can't do more than 45-50 minutes or so in the gym before heading up to work again.

Also, I saw in another post you mentioned you had luck with Lean Xtreme. How would you compare that to Lipotrophin, and what (if any) side effects did you encounter while using it? I've heard it causes mild joint pain in some as result of lower than natural cortisol levels which makes me cautiously nervous about trying it.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So as far as exercise programs go, what would you recommend for somebody who is just getting in shape and has 40lbs of fat to lose (or 100 to lose in the case of my wife)? Somebody with so much BF that they're not ready for a typical bulk and cut cycle? I'm assuming the diet portion would start with about a 30% deficit from maintenance, but where to from there?

The limitations in my case is that during the week I work two jobs, so 3 or 4 days of the week I can't do more than 45-50 minutes or so in the gym before heading up to work again.
DIET

As for the diet, I have posted them numerous place, but here they are.

Rosie's Diet Tips For Fat Loss

1. First, you need to work out what your MAINTENANCE calories are (There are various methods and equations that you can use to calculate this; most take into account current body mass, height, and activity level). Then, to lose fat, you need to make sure that you’re having up to 500 calories LESS than maintenance. Depending on how fast or slow you lose the fat, you can adjust and tweak your calorie intake each week.
2. Eat every 2-3 hours after waking. This helps keep the metabolism going throughout the day, as well as keeping insulin levels stable (so, you can see that 3 meals is simply NOT enough, even small portions).
3. EVERY meal should have complex carbohydrates [CHO] (i.e. kumara, rice, oats, etc.), QUALITY LEAN protein (chicken breast, fish, tuna, salmon, lean beef, egg whites, etc.), and FIBROUS CHO (i.e. vegetables, green ones in particular).
4. Drink 4.5 litres of water per day. This will help keep the system clean.
5. It has been proven that TWO servings of DAIRY per day helps lose MORE fat than if one avoids it altogether.
6. Do NOT avoid fat (The only fat she should be avoiding is Saturated fat and Trans fats). You NEED fat in your diet, as fat plays major roles in energy metabolism and other parts of your body (Wardlaw & Hampl, 2007). Make sure to have at least 30 grams of GOOD fats (i.e. flaxseeds or flaxseed oil, fish oils, peanut butter, nuts - especially almonds and walnuts, hempseed oil, olive oil, etc.) per day (i.e. this is ~2 tbsp of flaxseed oil or peanut butter).
7. Don’t drink tea or coffee. Try drinking GREEN tea instead; it helps with thermogenesis, and is especially good if you take it one hour before doing cardio first thing in the morning.
8. Don’t drink alcohol. Alcohol has NO nutritional value and is full of calories.
9. Minimize adding salt to food. Instead, flavour a meal with herbs and spices (i.e. ginger, cumin, cayenne pepper, curry powder, chilli powder, and garlic all help thermogenesis a bit).
10. The only sugar needed on a regular basis is the NATURAL sugars found in food; these are mostly found in fruit. Too much sugar plays havoc with insulin levels and these should be as stable as possible throughout the day. The best time to be having sugar is straight AFTER a RESISTANCE workout, when the body is trying to replenish muscle glycogen stores (Burke, 2006).
11. Do NOT avoid CHO. You NEED at least 50-100 grams of CHO per day for your body to burn fat effectively. A good guideline is to have at least 1 gram of CHO per kg of body mass per day as a MINIMUM (Burke, 2006).
12. Eat most food as 'natural' as possible. This means fresh fruit and vegetables, meat, grains, etc. Try not to eat too much packaged food, as it is full of extra calories and sugar.
13. Most importantly, remember that it IS OK TO CHEAT every now and then. Actually the body NEEDS cheat meals and day. By throwing all the guidelines I have just mentioned above out of the way and having a day where you eat what you want it helps, and will also help prevent your body from going into starvation mode (where the body battles you to hold onto the fat as much as it can). If you prefer NOT to ‘cheat’, then adding in 1-2 higher CALORIE days (i.e. go up to Maintenance, or even Bulking, or even slightly higher), with the extra calories coming from quality COMPLEX CHO, you should be ok.

Supplements should NOT be a big deal, as most fat loss can be done through simply eating the right food at the right time. And unless everything that you’re doing is already done to ensure the maximum results in the timeframe that you want to achieve it in, and then supplementation should not be the focus. However, there ARE a few supplements that I think are important to any regime:

1. A multivitamin. (Although you should be eating as much of a variety of food as possible, in order to meet the RDI/AI of most nutrients from actual food).
2. Creatine monohydrate. Creatine helps the body to recover faster, as well as aiding in increasing strength levels and lean body mass [LBM].
3. Flaxseed/Hempseed/Fish Oil. This is the GOOD fats. Flaxseed or Hempseed oil is great with breakfast or in protein shakes.
4. Protein Powder. This just helps for the in-between meals, or after the gym, and to make sure that you get enough protein in (You should be having 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of body mass per day; this is so that muscle loss is prevented, and can even assist in small gains in LBM).

Calorie cycling is an awesome "'diet" method (and the best, IMO) for fat loss.

EXERCISE

If you're just getting into shape then you don't want to do anything too full-on too fast. You need to build a base and work up from there. The most important thing would be to get resistance sessions in (as I said). And you don't have to do long sessions; 30-45 minutes is enough. I would suggest circuit sessions, as that way you're working on your cardiovascular fitness (can be almost like a high intensity cardio session), as well as muscular endurance and strength, and metabolism is high. You could do your 'cardio' as a 'warm-up' if you really feel that it is necessary: Select any piece of cardio equipment and do 4 minutes easy, then 8 x 20 sec efforts/10 sec easy (you can start with 10 sec efforts/20 sec easy and build up to 20 sec efforts), and fiinsh with 4 min easy. If you feel like you need to be doing more then you can do a brisk walk (NOT in the gym) for 20-30 minutes every other day (and it'll be easy on your joints).

If you are a beginner (in the case of your wife), you can start off with 2 days per week. Otherwise, I would recommend 3 or 4 days. Each bodypart should be trained ONCE a week; this gives it plenty of time to recover before the next training session. Exercises that you should be doing are multijoint, compound exercises, as they use more than one muscle, and are the most effective for not only building muscle, but also in burning fat, because they are recruiting more of your body to perform the exercise than isolation exercises (these are a waste of time unless you are looking for a pump close to competition, really). The best compound exercises that you can do are the squat and the deadlift, as they use pretty much EVERY muscle in your body. Other compound exercises that are good to include are the power clean, bench press, shoulder press, pull-ups, dips, as well as calf raises (the only isolation exercise that’s really good).You should be doing at least 2 exercises for each muscle group, with 4 sets of 6-10 (even up to 12) reps per exercise, with 1-2 minutes recovery in between (the shorter the recovery, the lighter your weights will possibly be, which will give you a ‘cardio’ workout as well). You should never spend longer than 45-50 minutes in total lifting (i.e. your session should take that long from the time you walk in to the time you walk out, excluding if you do a warm-up (if you do this 10-12 minutes is sufficient)/cool-down (if you do this I would recommend stretching for 5-10 minutes) – and this is strictly your own preference); otherwise you become too catabolic and end up losing muscle. You also need to change your weights programme around slightly every 4-6 weeks, just so that your body does not get used to it and stop adapting. This can be as little as changing the order of exercises in a session or the number of sets and/or reps that you do for an exercise (and it only needs to be one exercise changed at a time, small adjustments over the weeks).

As long as you are eating RIGHT, doing weights 2-4 times per week, doing cardio 3 or more times per week for 12-30 minutes per day (depending on the intensity; the higher the intensity the shorter you do it for!), and allowing your body to RECOVER (this is VERY important; if you do TOO much, then your body won’t be able to recover properly and you won’t get the results you want, since your body only adapts and gets results in the RECOVERY time!), then you will lose fat!

I would recommend getting a personal trainer who knows their stuff and who can be there to get you started annd take you through a few sessions and be hands on and hold you accountable and provide motivation, support, and "push".

Babylon1023

Awards
DIET

As for the diet, I have posted them numerous place, but here they are.

Rosie's Diet Tips For Fat Loss

1. First, you need to work out what your MAINTENANCE calories are (There are various methods and equations that you can use to calculate this; most take into account current body mass, height, and activity level). Then, to lose fat, you need to make sure that you’re having up to 500 calories LESS than maintenance. Depending on how fast or slow you lose the fat, you can adjust and tweak your calorie intake each week.
2. Eat every 2-3 hours after waking. This helps keep the metabolism going throughout the day, as well as keeping insulin levels stable (so, you can see that 3 meals is simply NOT enough, even small portions).
3. EVERY meal should have complex carbohydrates [CHO] (i.e. kumara, rice, oats, etc.), QUALITY LEAN protein (chicken breast, fish, tuna, salmon, lean beef, egg whites, etc.), and FIBROUS CHO (i.e. vegetables, green ones in particular).
4. Drink 4.5 litres of water per day. This will help keep the system clean.
5. It has been proven that TWO servings of DAIRY per day helps lose MORE fat than if one avoids it altogether.
6. Do NOT avoid fat (The only fat she should be avoiding is Saturated fat and Trans fats). You NEED fat in your diet, as fat plays major roles in energy metabolism and other parts of your body (Wardlaw & Hampl, 2007). Make sure to have at least 30 grams of GOOD fats (i.e. flaxseeds or flaxseed oil, fish oils, peanut butter, nuts - especially almonds and walnuts, hempseed oil, olive oil, etc.) per day (i.e. this is ~2 tbsp of flaxseed oil or peanut butter).
7. Don’t drink tea or coffee. Try drinking GREEN tea instead; it helps with thermogenesis, and is especially good if you take it one hour before doing cardio first thing in the morning.
8. Don’t drink alcohol. Alcohol has NO nutritional value and is full of calories.
9. Minimize adding salt to food. Instead, flavour a meal with herbs and spices (i.e. ginger, cumin, cayenne pepper, curry powder, chilli powder, and garlic all help thermogenesis a bit).
10. The only sugar needed on a regular basis is the NATURAL sugars found in food; these are mostly found in fruit. Too much sugar plays havoc with insulin levels and these should be as stable as possible throughout the day. The best time to be having sugar is straight AFTER a RESISTANCE workout, when the body is trying to replenish muscle glycogen stores (Burke, 2006).
11. Do NOT avoid CHO. You NEED at least 50-100 grams of CHO per day for your body to burn fat effectively. A good guideline is to have at least 1 gram of CHO per kg of body mass per day as a MINIMUM (Burke, 2006).
12. Eat most food as 'natural' as possible. This means fresh fruit and vegetables, meat, grains, etc. Try not to eat too much packaged food, as it is full of extra calories and sugar.
13. Most importantly, remember that it IS OK TO CHEAT every now and then. Actually the body NEEDS cheat meals and day. By throwing all the guidelines I have just mentioned above out of the way and having a day where you eat what you want it helps, and will also help prevent your body from going into starvation mode (where the body battles you to hold onto the fat as much as it can). If you prefer NOT to ‘cheat’, then adding in 1-2 higher CALORIE days (i.e. go up to Maintenance, or even Bulking, or even slightly higher), with the extra calories coming from quality COMPLEX CHO, you should be ok.

Supplements should NOT be a big deal, as most fat loss can be done through simply eating the right food at the right time. And unless everything that you’re doing is already done to ensure the maximum results in the timeframe that you want to achieve it in, and then supplementation should not be the focus. However, there ARE a few supplements that I think are important to any regime:

1. A multivitamin. (Although you should be eating as much of a variety of food as possible, in order to meet the RDI/AI of most nutrients from actual food).
2. Creatine monohydrate. Creatine helps the body to recover faster, as well as aiding in increasing strength levels and lean body mass [LBM].
3. Flaxseed/Hempseed/Fish Oil. This is the GOOD fats. Flaxseed or Hempseed oil is great with breakfast or in protein shakes.
4. Protein Powder. This just helps for the in-between meals, or after the gym, and to make sure that you get enough protein in (You should be having 1-1.5 grams of protein per kg of body mass per day; this is so that muscle loss is prevented, and can even assist in small gains in LBM).

Calorie cycling is an awesome "'diet" method (and the best, IMO) for fat loss.

EXERCISE

If you're just getting into shape then you don't want to do anything too full-on too fast. You need to build a base and work up from there. The most important thing would be to get resistance sessions in (as I said). And you don't have to do long sessions; 30-45 minutes is enough. I would suggest circuit sessions, as that way you're working on your cardiovascular fitness (can be almost like a high intensity cardio session), as well as muscular endurance and strength, and metabolism is high. You could do your 'cardio' as a 'warm-up' if you really feel that it is necessary: Select any piece of cardio equipment and do 4 minutes easy, then 8 x 20 sec efforts/10 sec easy (you can start with 10 sec efforts/20 sec easy and build up to 20 sec efforts), and fiinsh with 4 min easy. If you feel like you need to be doing more then you can do a brisk walk (NOT in the gym) for 20-30 minutes every other day (and it'll be easy on your joints).

If you are a beginner (in the case of your wife), you can start off with 2 days per week. Otherwise, I would recommend 3 or 4 days. Each bodypart should be trained ONCE a week; this gives it plenty of time to recover before the next training session. Exercises that you should be doing are multijoint, compound exercises, as they use more than one muscle, and are the most effective for not only building muscle, but also in burning fat, because they are recruiting more of your body to perform the exercise than isolation exercises (these are a waste of time unless you are looking for a pump close to competition, really). The best compound exercises that you can do are the squat and the deadlift, as they use pretty much EVERY muscle in your body. Other compound exercises that are good to include are the power clean, bench press, shoulder press, pull-ups, dips, as well as calf raises (the only isolation exercise that’s really good).You should be doing at least 2 exercises for each muscle group, with 4 sets of 6-10 (even up to 12) reps per exercise, with 1-2 minutes recovery in between (the shorter the recovery, the lighter your weights will possibly be, which will give you a ‘cardio’ workout as well). You should never spend longer than 45-50 minutes in total lifting (i.e. your session should take that long from the time you walk in to the time you walk out, excluding if you do a warm-up (if you do this 10-12 minutes is sufficient)/cool-down (if you do this I would recommend stretching for 5-10 minutes) – and this is strictly your own preference); otherwise you become too catabolic and end up losing muscle. You also need to change your weights programme around slightly every 4-6 weeks, just so that your body does not get used to it and stop adapting. This can be as little as changing the order of exercises in a session or the number of sets and/or reps that you do for an exercise (and it only needs to be one exercise changed at a time, small adjustments over the weeks).

As long as you are eating RIGHT, doing weights 2-4 times per week, doing cardio 3 or more times per week for 12-30 minutes per day (depending on the intensity; the higher the intensity the shorter you do it for!), and allowing your body to RECOVER (this is VERY important; if you do TOO much, then your body won’t be able to recover properly and you won’t get the results you want, since your body only adapts and gets results in the RECOVERY time!), then you will lose fat!

I would recommend getting a personal trainer who knows their stuff and who can be there to get you started annd take you through a few sessions and be hands on and hold you accountable and provide motivation, support, and "push".
Wow, thanks for all that! Lots to digest. If I could just get a sameple workout schedule, that would really rock. Here's an example of my typical week:

Sunday: Cardio only, 1hr treadmill low intensity
Monday: Cardio only, 45min Precor AMT medium intensity
Tuesday: Cardio only, 45min Precor AMT medium intensity
Wednesday: Weights only (not incl. warmup), 75-90 min full body workout as follows (all exercises except abs are 3 sets of 8-12 reps, double progression):
-Lat pulldown
-Wide arm cable row
-Barbell bench press
-Dumbbell shoulder press
-Dumbbell bicep curls
-Barbell squats
-Crunches
-Tricep rope cable pulldown
Thursday: OFF
Friday: Cardio only, 30 minute 2min high / 2 min medium intervals Precor AMT
Saturday: Weights only, see above

6 days in the gym. The 4 days of cardio burns about 2150 calories according to my heart rate monitor. What am I doing wrong here, and like I said if you could draft a replacement schedule that would serve my wife and I better in terms of fat loss that would be GREATLY appreciated.

BTW- After night 1, I think Lipotrophin PM and I are going to be friends. :)

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
One of the most attractive properties I like about Drive is the significant cAMP activation and mediation that it induces. Combining three powerful bioactive cAMP activators and synergists, forskolin, icariin, and dodder seed, Drive helps to trigger not just dramatic anabolic and anti-catabolic effects, but also supports elevated secretion of luteinizing hormone (ultimately leading to steroidogenesis in the gonadal Leydig cells) and follicle-stimulating hormone (ultimately leading to spermatogenesis in the gonadal Sertoli cells). These results are partly due to the action of the cAMP-activated Leydig-cell-cholesterol transfer protein, StaR (steroidogenic acute regulatory protein). cAMP activation and mediation supports a wide variety of metabolic and endocrine functions, including the repair of dysfunctional HPTA signalling cascades. And so on. So, Drive is certainly an effective matrix.

Babylon1023

Awards
One of the most attractive properties I like about Drive is the significant cAMP activation and mediation that it induces. Combining three powerful bioactive cAMP activators and synergists, forskolin, icariin, and dodder seed, Drive helps to trigger not just dramatic anabolic and anti-catabolic effects, but also supports elevated secretion of luteinizing hormone (ultimately leading to steroidogenesis in the gonadal Leydig cells) and follicle-stimulating hormone (ultimately leading to spermatogenesis in the gonadal Sertoli cells). These results are partly due to the action of the cAMP-activated Leydig-cell-cholesterol transfer protein, StaR (steroidogenic acute regulatory protein). cAMP activation and mediation supports a wide variety of metabolic and endocrine functions, including the repair of dysfunctional HPTA signalling cascades. And so on. So, Drive is certainly an effective matrix.
No offense, but this translates into what, exactly? As far as things you feel or notice.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
No offense, but this translates into what, exactly? As far as things you feel or notice.
Improvement in lean mass:fat mass ratio (anabolic effect); fat loss; preservation of muscle mass (anti-catabolic effect); elevated testosterone synthesis; heightened libido; improved cardiovascular and immune functions; and so on.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wow, thanks for all that! Lots to digest. If I could just get a sameple workout schedule, that would really rock. Here's an example of my typical week:

Sunday: Cardio only, 1hr treadmill low intensity
Monday: Cardio only, 45min Precor AMT medium intensity
Tuesday: Cardio only, 45min Precor AMT medium intensity
Wednesday: Weights only (not incl. warmup), 75-90 min full body workout as follows (all exercises except abs are 3 sets of 8-12 reps, double progression):
-Lat pulldown
-Wide arm cable row
-Barbell bench press
-Dumbbell shoulder press
-Dumbbell bicep curls
-Barbell squats
-Crunches
-Tricep rope cable pulldown
Thursday: OFF
Friday: Cardio only, 30 minute 2min high / 2 min medium intervals Precor AMT
Saturday: Weights only, see above

6 days in the gym. The 4 days of cardio burns about 2150 calories according to my heart rate monitor. What am I doing wrong here, and like I said if you could draft a replacement schedule that would serve my wife and I better in terms of fat loss that would be GREATLY appreciated.

BTW- After night 1, I think Lipotrophin PM and I are going to be friends. :)
For a start, if you're going to be in the gym use it for RESISTANCE training instead of cardio. You're also doing your exercise a little all over the place; start with the largest body-parts first, and no need to do isolation exercise. And to me 75-90 minutes is too long to spend in the gym; 30-45 minutes is sufficient.

I would suggest:

Monday: WEIGHTS*
Tuesday: HIIT Cardio
Wednesday: WEIGHTS*
Thursday: HIIT Cardio
Friday: WEIGHTS*
Saturday: HIIT Cardio
Sunday: DAY OFF

* WEIGHTS - Circuit:
Instructions: Do an easy 5-10 min warm-up. Select weights that you can do for 10 reps (but not too much more), and use these for the entire session. Complete exercises in order from 1-10, the only recovery moving from one exercise to another. At the end of one set (i.e. 1-10) rest for a minute, and then repeat. Do 3 sets of 10 reps per exercise. Stretch full-body for 5 mins after session. This should take ~30-40 minutes in TOTAL. Every week your weights should increase (i.e. not on ALL sessions, but keep weights the same for a week, and increase as you can for the next week's sessions), so that you keep challenging your body.
1. Barbell Front Squat
2. Barbell Back Squat - wider stance
3. Barbell Bent Over Row
4. Barbell Bench Press
5. Dumbbell Shoulder Press
6. Dips (graduate to doing b/w dips from bench dips)
7. Calf Raise - double legged
8. Crunches (graduate to doing weighted crunches from regular crunches)
9. Reverse Curls
10. Hanging Knee Raises (graduate to doing hanging straight leg raises from hanging knee raises)

For your cardio, I would do either your 30 minute 2min high / 2 min medium intervals Precor AMT session, or 20 minutes HIIT (look through my log for some ideas of how you could do HIIT).

Yes, Lipotrophin-PM is a gem (although I use it for the sleep benefits, not for fat loss) :)

Babylon1023

Awards
Are you saying I should explicitly -not- give an all out effort with the weights and opt for lighter weights, less hypertrophy, and a faster pace to turn it into a more cardio type experience like, dare I say it, The Biggest Loser? I ask because the barbell series alone would take about 45 minutes the way I do it, all out and at different specialized stations like the BB bench and the squat rack. Squats alone can take me 15-20 minutes because if I give that my all it can take me 2-3 minutes between sets just to catch my breath. What it almost sounds like you're suggesting is that I stick by the fixed weight barbell tree (and not the Olympic bar / free plates setup) and bang these exercises out even if it's not pushing my potential for overload.

Is it also safe to assume that in exchange for less hypertrophy and muscle gains I would be rewarded with more fat lost per session?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Are you saying I should explicitly -not- give an all out effort with the weights and opt for lighter weights, less hypertrophy, and a faster pace to turn it into a more cardio type experience like, dare I say it, The Biggest Loser? I ask because the barbell series alone would take about 45 minutes the way I do it, all out and at different specialized stations like the BB bench and the squat rack. Squats alone can take me 15-20 minutes because if I give that my all it can take me 2-3 minutes between sets just to catch my breath. What it almost sounds like you're suggesting is that I stick by the fixed weight barbell tree (and not the Olympic bar / free plates setup) and bang these exercises out even if it's not pushing my potential for overload.

Is it also safe to assume that in exchange for less hypertrophy and muscle gains I would be rewarded with more fat lost per session?
I'm not saying go light. I'm saying select a weight that you can do no more than 10 reps for, and use that. You still go as heavy as you can (when I do circuits I ALWAYS go as heavy as I can; if on the last set you have to go a little slower or dropset the weight to get 10 reps out then by all means do so), but for only 10 reps. And 10 reps of squats should NOT take you 15-20 minutes (you DON'T do 3x10 of each exercise before moving onto the next; you do 1x10 of each exercise in order, and then repeat that sequence 3 times). Don't stay by the fixed weight tree; set up with your 10RM and leave it there to do for each set.

You will also get some hypertrophy, but you'll also get fat loss, muscular endurance, increased cardiovascular fitness, and some strength. And, regardless of HOW (i.e. lifting at 3-6RRM or 15-20RM, circuits or power style lifting, etc.) you train you ARE going to get fat loss, provided that your DIET is manipulated right.

As I said before, I highly recommend that you (and your wife) get a personal trainer.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Babylon1023

Awards
DIET

4. Protein Powder. This just helps for the in-between meals, or after the gym, and to make sure that you get enough protein in (You should be having 1-1.5 grams of protein per kg of body mass per day; this is so that muscle loss is prevented, and can even assist in small gains in LBM).
Hey Guejsn,

Says there I only need 1g of protein per KG of bodyweight? I've been hearing from all over that I need 1g per LB of bodyweight, especially on a cut. What do you think about this? If it's 1g/KG then I can cut back on my calories even more when it comes to postworkout protein.

Speaking of which, if cutting calories is such a priority to me, what would be the minimum requirements for postworkout nutrition to halt catabolism? Right now I'm drinking a 300 calorie MRP with 45g of protein after weights and cardio, but if that's overkill (especially for the cardio) let me know so I can adjust accordingly.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey Guejsn,

Says there I only need 1g of protein per KG of bodyweight? I've been hearing from all over that I need 1g per LB of bodyweight, especially on a cut. What do you think about this? If it's 1g/KG then I can cut back on my calories even more when it comes to postworkout protein.

Speaking of which, if cutting calories is such a priority to me, what would be the minimum requirements for postworkout nutrition to halt catabolism? Right now I'm drinking a 300 calorie MRP with 45g of protein after weights and cardio, but if that's overkill (especially for the cardio) let me know so I can adjust accordingly.
Whoops. Yes, supposed to be 1-1.5kg per lb of bodyweight (although for females, if they're eating the bare minimum - which many do - per kg would maintain their muscle mass, but not a lot more).

Cutting calories shouldn't be a priority. You can still eat as you would normally but increase exercise time or intensity (that would be the best thing to do).

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
WTF? This is the biggest crock of sh*t that I’ve read today. If it's a waste of money, explain it. Don't make blanket statements like this and not have the fortitude to back it up.

AK32408

AK32408

IBE/PHF Rep
Awards
  • Established
There was no need to call out guejsn.. she and the rest of the AN crew are all very reputable and knowledgeable people about their companies products.

I agree with Iron, tell them why it didn't work, don't just make attacks. Hopefully you're not basing your opinion on a sample you recieved :laugh:

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
negged for making false claims about Drive without any reason or having any experience of using Drive, ooh and calling out guejsn, thats not cool either!
I've never tried Drive before but now I want to try it... I'll try to get the 9 day trial and if i respond well I'll be buying it!

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
WTF? This is the biggest crock of sh*t that I’ve read today. If it's a waste of money, explain it. Don't make blanket statements like this and not have the fortitude to back it up.
There was no need to call out guejsn.. she and the rest of the AN crew are all very reputable and knowledgeable people about their companies products.

I agree with Iron, tell them why it didn't work, don't just make attacks. Hopefully you're not basing your opinion on a sample you recieved :laugh:
negged for making false claims about Drive without any reason or having any experience of using Drive, ooh and calling out guejsn, thats not cool either!
I've never tried Drive before but now I want to try it... I'll try to get the 9 day trial and if i respond well I'll be buying it!
Well, it seems as if Loofer's comments really pissed a few of us off. I can understand if someone has an issue and talks openly with a respectful tone, but when someone just makes a statement like Loofer's, it rubs me the wrong way. Kind of like when you step in poo; you have to scrap and scrap, get a stick and run it in the cracks, then wash it off... damn, Loofer is now grouped with poo. Good job, man! :thumbsup:

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
Baseless negative remarks, earn you super negg reps. Why the personall attack? Back up your argument with a little class.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
...Kind of like when you step in poo; you have to scrap and scrap, get a stick and run it in the cracks, then wash it off... :thumbsup:
Graphic! Talking from experience? :biglaugh:

Drive is awesome, by the way!