Thanks Animal, Rage, and the Forum

firedrake

firedrake

Awards
I thought I'd bring this over here, to let people who AREN'T on the Forum know what Animal does for their community.

In late June, it was announced that there would be a contest for five people who wanted to gain weight, and five who wanted to lose fat. They would get personal guidance by Tom "Rage" Fuller on their program and diet.

Animal corporate jumped in and a) bumped the number up to eight, and b) offered an opening package of supps to each member of the teams. Pak, Pump, Nitro, UniLiver, and some Real Gains Protein, I think was what the "Bulkers" got. Everyone had to submit an essay as to why they wanted to enter, and the entries got judged by Rage and several of the Pros/Animals at HQ.

I was lucky enough to be chosen as one of the "bulkers". I was a little surprised -- I'm not exactly the stereotypical "Animal." I'm 55, a couple of years out of major back surgery, and had been working hard for the last 9 months to drop 60 lbs. of ugly fat. I was 228 at 17.2% BF.

The put our contest "journeys" in a special section called "The Honored", and we got input from the various "big boys" at Animal HQ. Everyone was watching, so the pressure was on to push each other as hard as we could. There are a couple of the guys who are active here, as well, but I won't name names (cough) Hoomgar, (cough) Mr. Dead, both of whom I was competing against.

Starting pix were taken, and the program began July 14th. Final pictures, stats and an essay have to be turned in by midnight, PST, Monday October 19th. The Winners in each division (cutters and bulkers, called "Team Red" and "Team Yellow" respectively) will get a special avatar on the Forum, a special t-shirt, and I don't know what else -- it will be a surprise.

firedrake

firedrake

Awards
Since I was the first one to post my results, I figured I'd share 'em here, and maybe goad some others into putting them up.

Beginning Weight: 228
Ending Weight: 253
Total Weight Gained: 25 lbs.

Beginning BF%: 16.4
Ending BF%: 17.8
Difference in BF% 1.4%
Total Number of Challenges Met: 3

Minimum 200 Word Summary of Your Experience in the Iron Contest:

This 14-week timeline of this contest gave me more focus than ever before, and more determined to stay on the diet and get the training in than I've ever been. My desire for progress drove me to attempt weights I never had – I had a deadline! I'm stronger than I could have imagined, even in my back, which had worried me, being only about 2 years out of major back surgery. If you'd told me I could do rack deads with 455, or putting eight plates on a side of the leg press, or four plates on the Hammer low row, I'd have laughed! I'm even doing squats again!

Sharing that goal with my Animal brothers was a real "bonding" experience. We drove and encouraged each other, cheered challenges met, and shared our trials and joys. The friendships we've made will last a long time. The things we've all gone through during this contest have changed us. We've met challenged and gotten through **** that would defeat lesser men, and know our brothers were gutting through it helped us keep pushing.

Each session became more important. I did my best work when I "hadn't felt like" training and got determined. I knew I had to push harder. The diet was easy, having been on Rage's "cutting" program last October through April. Hell, I got to EAT MORE! Sometimes it was a challenge eating as much as the program wanted me to!

BIG thanks to Universal for getting behind this contest and "pushing", with the encouragement and the supplements. Drop-ins to our Journeys from the "big boys" have been a real boost! Rage's support and guidance have been top-notch, and a major asset! I know we've driven him (and his wife) buggy with our questions, but he's calmly faced the storm and answered every one.

Thanks to Rage, Universal, my Animal brothers (and sisters) for letting me be part of this! The changes I've made have been mind blowing on the inside as well as out! Now to keep the progress going! I'm more determined than ever to add enough mass to make a good showing next year when I step on stage.

At this point, I have 207 lbs of lean muscle out of 253, according to the test. If I can keep this up another 14 weeks through the end of January, I could hopefully be at 225 lean (out of 265-270 or so?), and start cutting then. Given that, when I first talked to Rage a year ago, I was 269 at 29% bodyfat, I think there's been QUITE a change.

This contest is just the beginning! Thanks again for letting this "old man" show what he can do!

Link To Before and After Shots: http://s729.photobucket.com/albums/w...20Comparisons/

naturalguy

naturalguy

Universal Nutrition
Awards
  • Established
That is a tremendous transformation. Props to you for putting in the hard work.

Hoomgar

Hoomgar

Awards
  • Established
That is a tremendous transformation. Props to you for putting in the hard work.
x2 Jim. I know I've said it before but it is so true it is worth repeating. You leave MANY with no excuse!

Hg

Hoomgar

Hoomgar

Awards
  • Established
Definitely a well deserved win!!!
I don't know Mr. Dead? We were have a grand old time schoolin young cats while in our 40's until the new "over 50" drakinator came along and handed us our butts.

:chairshot:

Hg

King Con

Awards
  • Established
Definitely well deserved... way to put in work my friend.

firedrake

firedrake

Awards
Now we see how much more mass I can slap on before starting to shred for the contest in July. I'd like to add ANOTHER 20 lbs., but we'll see. The body comp showed me at 207 lbs. of lean mass. At 6%, that becomes 219. If I could come in over 225 at 6%, I think it'd look a lot better on my 6 foot frame.