New Routines

gt88

Awards
Been training 2 1/2 yrs now,have hard time gaining. Recently I went to animalpak.com to look for a new routine. I found one I liked and started about 2 months ago. So far gained 4 LBS. My question is how long do you stick to one routine before changing to a new one??

King Con

Awards
  • Established
Been training 2 1/2 yrs now,have hard time gaining. Recently I went to animalpak.com to look for a new routine. I found one I liked and started about 2 months ago. So far gained 4 LBS. My question is how long do you stick to one routine before changing to a new one??
I generally stick to a routine until I feel like its ran its course, i.e. hit a wall or stop progressing like I want to. Or I will throw my body off with a week of either high reps/heavy weight/supersets/dropsets/giant sets/circuits and then start anew. Or could even do something as simple as swapping the day I work out certain muscle groups. The biggest thing is to keep your body guessing and stop it from adapting to what you are doing. The moment you feel like you are adapting and not progressing is the moment you should change it up.

rcrott1

I generally stick to a routine until I feel like its ran its course, i.e. hit a wall or stop progressing like I want to. Or I will throw my body off with a week of either high reps/heavy weight/supersets/dropsets/giant sets/circuits and then start anew. Or could even do something as simple as swapping the day I work out certain muscle groups. The biggest thing is to keep your body guessing and stop it from adapting to what you are doing. The moment you feel like you are adapting and not progressing is the moment you should change it up.
solid advice from a man who knows his stuff.

blueboy22

blueboy22

Awards
  • Established
On the Universal site, there is a routine called Titan Training. I just swithed to it last week.

It is a perfect 5 day routine for me.

TahoeNox

Awards
I talked to a guy at my gym who competes on the profesional level. He said if he could best describe what to do in one word, it would be "Confusion". He said the more you confuse your body the less chance it can plateau and get used to what your doing. U cant let your body get used to what your doing or normalize your workouts. Constantly change your routine. throw in a longer but more fast pace session rather than heavy lifting every day. I try to follow that and it also makes lifting a lot more enjoyable and fun when you are always doing something different

Hoomgar

Hoomgar

Awards
  • Established
I talked to a guy at my gym who competes on the profesional level. He said if he could best describe what to do in one word, it would be "Confusion". He said the more you confuse your body the less chance it can plateau and get used to what your doing. U cant let your body get used to what your doing or normalize your workouts. Constantly change your routine. throw in a longer but more fast pace session rather than heavy lifting every day. I try to follow that and it also makes lifting a lot more enjoyable and fun when you are always doing something different
This is spot on advice brother. The fella knows what he is talking about. My best gains to date were realized when I finally learned this key point in training. Switch it up, often!

Hg

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
I dont agree. Ive been doing this for 8 years and the best gains i've ever made have been from not changing my routine. In the past 9 months i have decided to stick with one solid routine and gained 50 lbs from it, with no "confusion" or switching lifts and no platue. My chest grew 8 inches my arms grew 2 as well as my foreamrs and claves and my legs gre 7 not to mention my strength gains. I firmly belive in consistency. if you platue i personally doubt its from "not switching it up". i think it because of the routine or diet. If you have a solid routine, plenty of rest and enough calories you should be able to push yourself hard enough in the gym to make gains week by week, month by month. i rarely see people sticking to a routine longer than a few months, and with that said i also rarely see people with physics in which i am impressed by.

Honeslty I think diet and nutrition matter more than anything. Sorry if I sound bitter I just hear all too many guys saying "Switch it up!" when thats not always the best scenario.
Best advice: test/experiment and get to know your body. Learn what works for YOUR body, not ours

Hoomgar

Hoomgar

Awards
  • Established
I dont agree. Ive been doing this for 8 years and the best gains i've ever made have been from not changing my routine. In the past 9 months i have decided to stick with one solid routine and gained 50 lbs from it, with no "confusion" or switching lifts and no platue. My chest grew 8 inches my arms grew 2 as well as my foreamrs and claves and my legs gre 7 not to mention my strength gains. I firmly belive in consistency. if you platue i personally doubt its from "not switching it up". i think it because of the routine or diet. If you have a solid routine, plenty of rest and enough calories you should be able to push yourself hard enough in the gym to make gains week by week, month by month. i rarely see people sticking to a routine longer than a few months, and with that said i also rarely see people with physics in which i am impressed by.

Honeslty I think diet and nutrition matter more than anything. Sorry if I sound bitter I just hear all too many guys saying "Switch it up!" when thats not always the best scenario.
Best advice: test/experiment and get to know your body. Learn what works for YOUR body, not ours
If you are still making gains don't change a thing. If you hit a plateau, you gotta switch it up bro. Something has to change. No matter if it is diet, rest or split. There is no other way.

Hg

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
if you hit a plateau its either because your not pushing yourself as hard as you were i.e lost motivation, not eating enough as you should be to keep the gains coming or not resting too much or visa versa. that does NOT mean you need to change your whole routine. sure you could switch it up from incline flys to decline or interchange an exercise or two for different proportional reasons but theres no reason to completely change your whole workout routine. That is unless it you've built a crapy workout regimine and it only works for a week or two.

I do however belive in occasionally switching between Dumbell and Barbell on specific lifts. but only to an extent.