Round 1: Torrent vs. Science

Universal Rep

Universal Rep

UniversalUSA.com
Awards
  • Established
I just started reading up on the new (2008) ISSN paper... For those of ya who don't know, that's the International Society of Sports Nutrition--the leading body. Some smart minds right there. They just issued their official position on "Nutrient Timing"--pre-, intra-, and post-workout nutrition. Some conclusions:

- "Daily post-exercise ingestion of a CHO + PRO supplement promtes greater increases in strength and improvements in lean tissue and body fat % during regular resistance training."

- "Addition of Cr to a CHO + PRO supplement in conjunction with regular resistance training facilitates greater improvements in strength and body composition as compared with when no Cr is consumed."

- "The universal findings of these studies suggest that adding some combination of CHO (50 - 75 g) to a PRO source (20 - 75 g) while completing heavy resistance training facilitates an increase in the development of lean mass and overall improvements in body fat %."

For the record, Universal's Torrent is all about PRO + CHO. Torrent has creatine in it. Lastly, Torrent has 20g of PRO and 52g of CHO, both of which are within the ISSN recommended guidelines.

Looks like science confirms what we Torrent users have known all along.

PRO = protein
CHO = carbs
Cr = creatine monohydrate

Hollywood97

Hollywood97

Awards
This just re-affirms what a great product Torrent is. Thanks for posting those findings.

King Con

Awards
  • Established
I personally believe the best study is getting some of the supplement for yourself and trying it out. But having some good concrete facts to support the claims is never a bad thing ;) I actually read about one of these studies in M & D or Flex... one of the two.

Besides, Torrent's solid and is addicting. :D

Universal Rep

Universal Rep

UniversalUSA.com
Awards
  • Established
According to the ISSN, for intraworkout, "Glucose, fructose, sucrose and maltodextrin can be used in combination,but large amounts of fructose are not recommended..."

This is repeated in the final conclusions on "nutrient timing" as well--that high GI carbs are useful, but that fructose use should be "minimized".

No fructose in Torrent (or Intra-Aid for that matter).

King Con

Awards
  • Established
According to the ISSN, for intraworkout, "Glucose, fructose, sucrose and maltodextrin can be used in combination,but large amounts of fructose are not recommended..."

This is repeated in the final conclusions on "nutrient timing" as well--that high GI carbs are useful, but that fructose use should be "minimized".

No fructose in Torrent (or Intra-Aid for that matter).
Cliffs: Fructose bad. Torrent/IA don't have fructose. They are good. :afro:

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Torrent is definitely a great way to do your PWO nutrition, no doubt there. There's always more than one way to get a job done, solid foods have been serving me well (with a massive pre-WO meal) but Torrent is a good option :)

King Con

Awards
  • Established
Torrent is definitely a great way to do your PWO nutrition, no doubt there. There's always more than one way to get a job done, solid foods have been serving me well (with a massive pre-WO meal) but Torrent is a good option :)
I love taken Torrent and Nitro post... and then 45 minutes later hitting up another full meal.

Universal Rep

Universal Rep

UniversalUSA.com
Awards
  • Established
I agree--that's why I do both.

Torrent right after, for quicker uptake of nutrients.
Whole food meal another 60-90 minutes after that for overall nutrition.

Mr Aestheticz

Mr Aestheticz

Awards
  • Established
New Torrent Recipe!

This is something I tried yesterday!

Based on my diet and schedule and all that blah blah blah, my PWO needs are as follows to be up to par for my daily caloric intake!

Calories: 568
Fat: 20
Carbs: 55
Protein: 42

I didn't feel like cooking and really wasn't hungry after training so I pulled out my Cherry Torrent. Now Torrent facts are as follows:

Calories:302
Fat: 1.5g
Carbs: 52g
Protein: 20g

So as I pulled out my Universal Cherry Torrent I remembered I had a tub of Universal Vanilla Iso-Whey! Now I need an extra 22 grams of protein for my PWO meal and Iso-Whey has that! Hmmmm I got the thinking, I mixed my 3 scoops of Cherry Torrent with 1 Scoop of Vanilla Iso-Whey, + 8 tspns of EVOO (for my fat) and HOLY $#!t, it tastes like a creamy cherry vanilla something lol! All I know is I stumbled across something that I will be having after every session lmao!

Then an hour later I had my PWO meal!

Just a little something for people who are looking for a little more protein directly PWO!

...EASY!!!

King Con

Awards
  • Established
Very nice recipe Mr. A. You should look into those Home brew promos over at the Forvm! the F O R V M

Just saw your entry there... sounds delicious...

Mr Aestheticz

Mr Aestheticz

Awards
  • Established
Thanks!

Very nice recipe Mr. A. You should look into those Home brew promos over at the Forvm! the F O R V M

Just saw your entry there... sounds delicious...
You know what I should have, but didn't think about it till you just mentioned it lol, I went back and asked for a re-submmittance lol!

MrDead

MrDead

Awards
  • Established
:djparty:Now, if they could only come up with a Peach Torrent...

King Con

Awards
  • Established
I just read a new article in the latest issue of MD talking about the importance of a good post workout nutrition... reminded me of good ol' Torrent!

MrDead

MrDead

Awards
  • Established
I just read a new article in the latest issue of MD talking about the importance of a good post workout nutrition... reminded me of good ol' GAA Torrent!
Fixed...:icon_lol:

King Con

Awards
  • Established
Did you try it the other way around B? I'm wondering what your take was?
I've tried it about every possible combo... all of 'em were good... but I just choose to keep with the 2 GAA: 1 CBB combo... just hit the palate right...

Hoomgar

Hoomgar

Awards
  • Established
I've tried it about every possible combo... all of 'em were good... but I just choose to keep with the 2 GAA: 1 CBB combo... just hit the palate right...

Agreed. My spin on the 2:1 CBB:GAA was that it tasted pretty much the same as just 3 scoops of CBB. The CBB is a stronger flavor and therefore over powers the GAA. This is probably why the 2 scoops GAA to 1 scoop CBB is best :)

Mr Aestheticz

Mr Aestheticz

Awards
  • Established
Hmmmm

How about a little watermelon kiwi action?