Universal Real Gains FAQ's

naturalguy

naturalguy

Universal Nutrition
Awards
  • Established

Real Gains FAQ

One of the most common goals for all bodybuilders is to add mass. So often I see guys asking questions about weight gainers. So I thought I’d post a weight gainer FAQ. Hope this is useful. If you have any specific questions, you can PM or email the great guys in the customer service department at [email protected].

Should I use a weight gainer?
Maybe... It depends on a lot of things. Are you looking at the weight gainer as a shortcut, a quick fix? The first question you should ask yourself is, “Is my diet in order?” In other words, are you getting enough calories from whole foods? Food is anabolic. Food is your first line of defense. If you don’t have your meals in order, then supplements just aren’t going to work as effectively. Remember, supplements are just that—supplements. A weight gaining supplement is not meant to be a substitute for food. It should “supplement” your existing food/meal plan.

So then who should use a weight gainer?
Again, this assumes your diet is in order… Basically, you can use a weight gainer if you’re looking to add extra calories to your diet. It might be a convenience issue—it’s a lot easier to mix up a pre-made shake than prepare a full meal. Or, it might be that you have a small appetite. A solid weight gainer, because it digests quickly and efficiently (improved “gastric emptying”), will make it possible to eat another meal without feeling overly “full”. Food like oatmeal and beef, for example, take a while to digest. If you’ve already got food digesting in your stomach, you can see how hard it would be to eat another meal. One other thing to consider—ectomorphs and classic “hardgainers” stand to gain more from using a weight gainer as individuals with this body type tend to have a harder time putting on weight.

What should one look for in a weight gainer?
A weight gainer should provide a nutritionally dense blend of the core macronutrients (i.e., protein, carbohydrates and essential fats). Second, it should be low in simple sugars and high in complex carbohydrates. Third, it should contain high quality proteins such as whey and casein--these provide both a quick and a sustained release of key amino acids into your body. Fat content should also not be overlooked since added essential fats help to increase the calories of each shake and aid in natural hormone production.

When is the right time to use a weight gainer?

There really is no “right” time. Depending on your goals, a weight gainer can be taken first thing in the morning, between meals, postworkout or before bed. Again, you should tailor it to your needs and what you’re trying to accomplish. There is no “one size fits all” approach.

How often should I use a weight gainer?
This once again depends on your goals. Remember, a weight gainer is to be used to supplement the calories you are already getting from a balanced, bodybuilding diet consisting of numerous daily whole food feedings. Depending on your diet and particular goals, anywhere from once to three times daily can lead to marked improvements. Experimenting is key.

How does Real Gains fit into all this?
Real Gains is a high-calorie, low sugar weight gainer that consists of a special blend of protein, complex carbohydrates and essential fatty acids (EFAs). Real Gains takes whey protein (including isolates) and combines with premium micellar casein, which rather than being quickly absorbed, provides a steady stream of amino acids into the bloodstream. As a result, you get the best of both worlds--while whey is better at sparking muscle protein synthesis, micellar casein is superior in its ability to prevent catabolism (muscle breakdown), thus making the ideal protein blend. For carbs, Real Gains incorporates a blend of maltodextrin, which is a low DE complex carbohydrate. Maltodextrin contains “glucose polymers”, which are easier for the body to assimilate and use. Inulin, a special fiber, helps the growth of healthy intestinal flora which can allow for better nutrient absorption. So we discussed the importance of protein and carbs, but what about fat? Fats are key in hormone synthesis and are the essential component of all cells. The important fats to look into are the essential fatty acids. Real Gains is loaded with 6 grams of key fats from flax oil (EFAs) and MCT’s.

What can I mix in with Real Gains?

Water or milk. If you need some extra calories, skim milk does nicely. If you’re looking for slightly more calories, try whole milk. In any case, shoot for about 10-12 ounces of either water or milk, to taste. Because Real Gains uses instantized ingredients, you can actually mix the shake with a spoon if you want—a blender isn’t necessary.

Attachments

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
this is a solid gainer, and mixes very well. I usually go with skim milk or water, but very solid

BS55

BS55

Awards
  • Established
Chocolate RG, half cup of oats, 2 TBS of Natty PB, Ice and water... Put in Blender, Chug, GROW! :food:

wrasslin116

wrasslin116

Awards
  • Established
I still havn't got around to this.. I've always wanted to try it tho. Looks very solid.

BS55

BS55

Awards
  • Established
I still havn't got around to this.. I've always wanted to try it tho. Looks very solid.

Well worth every penny you spend on it! Plus when your finished you have a handy bucket for :squat: day!!!

wrasslin116

wrasslin116

Awards
  • Established
Ha yeah, get that nice big bucket after!

Hoomgar

Hoomgar

Awards
  • Established
I heard rumors that a 10 lb tub was in the making? Any truth to this?

Hg

MrDead

MrDead

Awards
  • Established
Will they ever come out with a Strawberry-Banana or a Chocolate-Banana...? :djparty:

King Con

Awards
  • Established
Hmmm... Hopefully it will eventually come out of my kitchen and out to the masses, someday...:run::djparty::rofl::jaw:
So instead of Chef Jay we get Chef MD!?! :jaw:

MrDead

MrDead

Awards
  • Established
Nah... I'm waiting to get my own show on the Food Network... A cooking show geared towards the bodybuilding crowd... And, yes, there would be RG and Intra Aid recipes, as well...:djparty:

King Con

Awards
  • Established
Nah... I'm waiting to get my own show on the Food Network... A cooking show geared towards the bodybuilding crowd... And, yes, there would be RG and Intra Aid recipes, as well...:djparty:
TUNED!

Hoomgar

Hoomgar

Awards
  • Established

RG Ice Cream?

MrDead

MrDead

Awards
  • Established
:frustrate:frustrate
I saw one of those guys today :jaw: But then they went to the hip abductor machine :rofl:
Grrr... That's what I'm pretty much limited to using... Leg extensions, leg press, the adductor, the abductor, seated leg curl, and seated calf raise...

King Con

Awards
  • Established
:frustrate:frustrate
Grrr... That's what I'm pretty much limited to using... Leg extensions, leg press, the adductor, the abductor, seated leg curl, and seated calf raise...
Just don't wear the short shorts in there... haha

Wish you a speedy recovery as always MD.

TheDeadlifter

TheDeadlifter

Awards
  • Established
For those of you have not yet had the pleasure of trying this amazing tasting weight gainer here is a free sample for you:

Real Gains: http://www.universalnutrition.com/sample/
>click "Real Gains" at the top of the page<

More info on Real Gains: http://www.universalnutrition.com/store/html/product.cfm?id=222

Get it now fellas, I'm not sure how long this will be available?

Hg
You're right: it is the best tasting weight gainer available. Strawberry flavor is by far my fav, but I've even tried mixing flavors together. Banana and strawberry with a touch of chocolate tastes like a banana split. Maybe Universal mix some flavors and can market those... :dunno:

Hoomgar

Hoomgar

Awards
  • Established
You're right: it is the best tasting weight gainer available. Strawberry flavor is by far my fav, but I've even tried mixing flavors together. Banana and strawberry with a touch of chocolate tastes like a banana split. Maybe Universal mix some flavors and can market those... :dunno:
Ha ha yea! They could make a multi-tub. Kind of like those popcorn tins that have 4 flavors all in one container.

I agree with you on the Strawberry. That one has little pieces of real strawberries in it. And yes, I've mixed the Strawberry and Banana already too and it is incredible!

Hg

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
I am using the strawberry rightnow. I have used it before bed, and between meals.
I have had a few small clumps in the blender bottle, but maybe I could shake it more. Its delicious, and a pretty good formula. I only wish it had more fiber. It would help lengthen digestion time.

I AM so sore rightnow, from being animal in the gym. Squats, deads, presses. Barbells, and dumbells make the muscle grow.

Hoomgar

Hoomgar

Awards
  • Established
I AM so sore rightnow, from being animal in the gym. Squats, deads, presses. Barbells, and dumbells make the muscle grow.
That is a great feeling though, isn't it? LOL!

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
yes it is. Today, I was not feeling it today on leg day. The trainer and powerlifting coach Eric pushed me till I was squatting like a madman. I tapped into the animal inside. I was so exhausted I could barely drive home. Its awesome. I just have to tell you I had real gains the night before.

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
i have 5, 6.5 pound tubs of this stuff, i got through 2.5 and then i threw up one day, havent been able to drink it since without gagging. Just being honest. the other 2.5 are just sitting on my shelf. hopefully ill be able to drink it again one day. Doesnt resinate a good thought in my mind though.

Deeerdre

Deeerdre

Awards
  • Established
i have 5, 6.5 pound tubs of this stuff, i got through 2.5 and then i threw up one day, havent been able to drink it since without gagging. Just being honest. the other 2.5 are just sitting on my shelf. hopefully ill be able to drink it again one day. Doesnt resinate a good thought in my mind though.
I'll take the tubs :) dont want you to be gagging... haha

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
Me too. I love the animal line. I remember when I used to swallow one or two pills at a time of animal pak. Now its the whole pak down the hatch.

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
Tonight I think I will add in some fresh fruit, and glutamine. Give it an extra punch.

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
It was great. If you use frozen fruit its like adding ice to it. Strawberry has fiber too. If you have vanilla, peanut butter is really good too.