Wright State Study

Vegking

Awards
What with these numbers in this study on MassFX. 800% increase in bench press over the placebo group? Come on, that seems ridiculous. Besides, since when did overall strength gains equal muscle mass increase. I know that is the popular mantra these days, but as far as mass or hypertrophy is concerned, strength increases don't always mean a gain in size. IMO the study would have been better off if they just took the strength equation out of it and focused only on size gains since the two DO NOT always go hand in hand for a lot of people. For the record, I have been on MassFX for 3 weeks and loving it. My workouts are great, but I often workout in in oxygen debt incorporating biplexes (combing two muscle groups back to back) and little rest between sets. Sure the load or amount of wt I use suffers, but the size and hardness of my muscles is better than before I started.

sublimejeh

sublimejeh

Awards
  • Established
If you read the whole study its not just about strength increase. We know strength doesnt always equal size. there is another portion of the article that measures size gain over the placebo group as well... take another look at the whole clinical product guide

http://www.anabolicx.com/downloads/productguides.php

Vegking

Awards
Okay, sorry about that, I should have read the whole thing. Thanks

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think I get where you may be confusing it. An 800% increase over placebo group doesn't mean that a person's 300lbs max bench went up 800%. It means that, conditions factored, this person's increase was 800% of that increase which a person not on MFX made in the trial. :) Still, pretty good numbers if you ask me! :head:

Vegking

Awards
Yeah, At first glance I read it the wrong way. I thought I was looking at a Muscle Tech ad. Now it makes more sense. thanks

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
lol @ M-tech ad. :lol:

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, we stuck the 800% first because that was the most substantial effect. Stick you best foot forward, and if the audience likes what they see, they'll keep on reading.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah, we stuck the 800% first because that was the most substantial effect. Stick you best foot forward, and if the audience likes what they see, they'll keep on reading.

Cliffs?

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
The average of the Mass FX group's bench press (1-RM) increased from 252.58 lbs to 286.2 lbs over the course of the study (or 13.3%) while the placebo group's bench press average increased from 204.1 lbs to 207.8 lbs (or 1.2%). The 800% increase comes from the difference in lbs increase between the two groups: [(286.2 - 252.58) / (207.8 - 204.1)] - 1 = 804%.

However, the Standard Deviation of the placebo group was much broader than the Mass FX group and, for the most part, the Mass FX group was putting up much higher initial bench numbers, which makes one wonder...

As for body composition:
"Significant improvements in body composition were reported in both Mass FX and Placebo groups (p<0.05). However, the Mass FX group exhibited better improvements; yet, these changes could not be attributed to supplementation (p>0.05)."​

BigSmith

Awards
  • Established
There are needs for a larger sample size for markers like the body composition, absolutely. However the overall results were a huge success in our opinion. The final conclusion is just what we wanted them to find. Mass FX is Ergogenic (Definition: influences that can positively affect physical performance.) and Mass FX did not have any negative health impacts.

Surprisingly, the Placebo group had major reductions in both total and free
testosterone. This observation could be explained by the intensive training program that the subjects underwent. Studies involving intensive training have shown significantreductions in testosterone concentrations (Flynn et al., 1994). In addition, these decreases may suggest an incomplete recovery from intense training (Vervoorn et al., 1991).

Interestingly enough, the lower testosterone concentration didn’t reduce the muscularstrength of the subjects in comparison to pretrial strength measurements. These findingswere similar to the study by Vervoorn et al. (1991) which showed that a lower testosterone/cortisol ratio did not negatively affect exercise performance.

Despite compliance to diet and training, the Placebo group showed minor to no
improvements in the 1 repetition max strength tests.

Therefore, it is suggested that Mass FX might help in offsetting some overreaching
symptoms since the Mass FX group was void of any overreaching/overtraining
symptoms.

As for testosterone observations for the Mass FX group, all subjects reported
impressive improvements in free testosterone. A study conducted by Ahtiainen et al. (2003) suggested that increases in basal testosterone levels might be a significant factor in considering strength improvements. Interestingly enough, the Mass FX group had obvious increases in basal free testosterone levels in comparison to pretrial basal values and greater improvements in strength compared to Placebo. Thus, it is suggested that there might be a correlation between muscular strength and free testosterone levels in the Mass FX group. Therefore, it may be valid to assume that the increases in strength in the
Mass FX group might be attributed in part to the increases in free testosterone.
The mean percent difference increase in free testosterone from pretesting was
75.84 %.

As for side effects, no adverse events were reported by any of the subjects for
both groups. However, the Mass FX group reported increases in libido. This effect was reported during the 2nd and 3rd week of the trial.

To determine the power of the samples used in this study, a posthoc Power
Analysis (See Table 22) was performed to test an effect for Mass FX (if it existed). It was determined that the data required an 88.6% power level to detect the effect of Mass FX for the bench press outcome which was achieved. This indicates that the bench press significance was valid. There was nearly 80% power for the Free Testosterone outcome, indicating that Mass FX might have had a significant effect if the sample size was larger.

In conclusion, this study suggests that Mass FX has ergogenic benefits when
taken during a controlled diet and exercise program. The data also suggest that Mass FX does not affect selected clinical health markers such as CBC with differentials, hepatic, renal, and lipid profiles and thus, appears safe when taken within recommended doses. It is recommended that future studies should utilize larger sample size.

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
Looks like you possibly omitted some things...

Despite compliance to diet and training, the Placebo group showed minor to no improvements in the 1 repetition max strength tests. Various factors affect muscle strength. One such factor to consider is limb length because individuals with longer limbs are at a biomechanical disadvantage. Another factor to keep in mind is possible overtraining/overreaching due to the intensive training program, which may result in muscle and central nervous system fatigue. The training protocol in this trial was considered high volume in nature. Interestingly, Moore & Fry (2007) have shown that high volume training can result in poor performance with significant decreases in testosterone concentrations. These results closely resemble the findings in this trial. Therefore, it is suggested that Mass FX might help in offsetting some overreaching symptoms since the Mass FX group was void of any overreaching/overtraining symptoms.

So MassFX is good for high volume training that might induce symptoms related to overreaching.

The mean percent difference increase in free testosterone from pretesting was 75.84 %. In addition, excluding the two subjects (MFX2 and MFX4), all exhibited increases in total testosterone concentrations – the subjects had minor drops (2.9 and 7.07 %, respectively).

Wow, if I read this correctly I'm suprised it made it through. This sounds like a major spin of the facts to me. Since there were only four total subjects in the MassFX grouping, the above statement removes half of the total. So, two of the four subject experienced an increase in Total Test (TT) and the other two subjects experienced a decrease in TT. Compare that to one of the four subjects in the placebo group experiencing an increase in TT. That's a huge success?

Generally, total testosterone concentrations change in relation to changes in free testosterone concentrations via SHBG concentrations (Kelly & Vankrieken, 1997; Nieschlang et al., 2004, p.643). This is due to the fact that free and protein bound testosterone in blood are in state of equilibrium (Nieschlang et al., 2004, p.643). Therefore, any changes in the concentration of free testosterone levels would result in changes in total testosterone levels. For example, increased SHBG concentrations reduce free testosterone and increases total testosterone (Anderson, 1974); therefore, it is suggested that an inverse relationship might exit between these three clinical markers. Thus, a rise in free testosterone via SHBG might result in a decrease in total testosterone and vice versa. It would have been interesting to determine whether the changes in total and free testosterone were a result of SHBG concentration differences. This could have been achieved by analyzing SHBG concentrations via a blood analysis. It is suggested that the apparent increases in free testosterone due to Mass FX (probably via SHBG inhibition) caused this decrease in total testosterone concentrations of subjects MFX2 and MFX4. These minor reductions could be attributed to a homeostatic mechanism in which the body is trying to regulate the balance of bioavailable and bound testosterone.

So MassFX is suggested to have SHGB inhibiting properties.

To determine the power of the samples used in this study, a posthoc Power Analysis (See Table 22) was performed to test an effect for Mass FX (if it existed). It was determined that the data required an 88.6% power level to detect the effect of Mass FX for the bench press outcome which was achieved. This indicates that the bench press significance was valid. There was nearly 80% power for the Free Testosterone outcome, indicating that Mass FX might have had a significant effect if the sample size was larger. The other tests had very low power to detect the effect of Mass FX, if it exists. For those variable, it is not certain if the lack of significant change was due to the small sample size or the lack of a real effect.

Again having difficulty seeing this as a "huge success."

Another recommendation for future studies would be measuring other clinical parameters such as SHBG. This would help in drawing conclusions as to whether the increases in free testosterone were a result of a decrease in SHBG production (as mentioned earlier). Measurement of other clinical markers such as testosterone metabolites, namely dihydrotestosterone (DHT) and estrogen (E), would be considered valuable. Quantifying E would help in investigating whether Mass FX modulates aromatase, an enzyme involved in the metabolism of testosterone into estrogen. In turn, this would explain if the total testosterone increases in the Mass FX group were due to feedback mechanisms via aromatase/estrogen inhibition as observed with other studies involving aromatase inhibition (Willoughby et al., 2007; Rohle et al., 2007).

Should probably also be noted, for what it's worth, that this "study" was someone's Master's thesis project needed to fulfill the requirments of a MS.