Guys check out this thread and info about Red Rice Yeast

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Here is the thread:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/male-anti-aging/73503-cholesterol-avoid-red.html#post964691

And here is all the info in it:

Avoid red yeast rice products promoted on internet as treatments for high cholesterol, says FDA

I am using Red Yeast Rice from NowFoods.
Probably same thing.
Am I in some kind of trouble?
My cholesterol went from about 230 to 154 within 6 months, using 2 600mg pills. Since that blood tes, I cut down to 1pill/day.
I use CoQ10 and othe supplements.
=============================================
Cholesterol :: Avoid red yeast rice products promoted on internet as treatments for high cholesterol, says FDA
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is warning consumers not to buy or eat three red yeast rice products promoted and sold on Web sites. The products may contain an unauthorized drug that could be harmful to health. The products are promoted as dietary supplements for treating high cholesterol.

------------
The potentially harmful products are: Red Yeast Rice and Red Yeast Rice/Policosonal Complex, sold by Swanson Healthcare Products, Inc. and manufactured by Nature’s Value Inc. and Kabco Inc., respectively; and Cholestrix, sold by Sunburst Biorganics.

FDA testing revealed the products contain lovastatin, the active pharmaceutical ingredient in Mevacor, a prescription drug approved for marketing in the United States as a treatment for high cholesterol.

“This risk is even more serious because consumers may not know the side effects associated with lovastatin and the fact that it can adversely interact with other medications," said Steven Galson, M.D., M.P.H., director of FDA's Center for Drug Evaluation and Research.

These red yeast rice products are a threat to health because the possibility exists that lovastatin can cause severe muscle problems leading to kidney impairment. This risk is greater in patients who take higher doses of lovastatin or who take lovastatin and other medicines that increase the risk of muscle adverse reactions. These medicines include the antidepressant nefazodone, certain antibiotics, drugs used to treat fungal infections and HIV infections, and other cholesterol-lowering medications.

FDA has issued warning letters advising Swanson and Sunburst Biorganics to stop promoting and selling the products. Companies that do not resolve violations in FDA warning letters risk enforcement actions, such as an injunction against continuing violations and a seizure of illegal products.

The FDA warning letters state that the products Red Yeast Rice, Red Yeast Rice/Policosonal Complex, and Cholestrix, sold on the firm’s websites, are unapproved new drugs that are marketed in violation of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act. The warning letters are available on FDA’s Web site: Most Recent Warning Letters.

FDA advises consumers who use any red yeast rice product to consult their health care provider if they experience problems that may be due to the product.

Report adverse events related to these products to MedWatch, the FDA’s voluntary reporting program: www.fda.gov/medwatch/report.htm; 800-332-1088; Fax: 800-332-0178; and MedWatch, Food and Drug Administration, 5600 Fishers Lane, Rockville, MD, 20852-9787.

edvanp

edvanp

Awards
  • Established
Wow, I have the Red Rice pills from Swanson too. Yikes!

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
edvanp

edvanp

Awards
  • Established
I love my cycle & life support! Good stuff Crowler :dance:

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Thanks a ton crowler. Considering I have no history of kidney disease and am using cycle support to lower my cholesterol while running orals I am sure the RYR will be fine but I just wanted your input on this as it could be a positive or a negative depending on how the reader takes it.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Hey we are all here to help each other out the more info we all can bring the better off we are.

THANKS!

CROWLER

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I just read that thread and boy those guys have my head spinning.

Guess I will use cycle support, na-r-ala and who knows maybe SAMe or Liv52. Orals and me don't get along...

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
im shure if you abuse ryr it can cause problems.....but most just preload before a cycle..and in post cycle.............it's not like your taking it year round??....i still plan on using before and after my next cycle....the fda is b*tching because they could be making money on selling phamicudials with the same effects.....greedy bastards:hammer:

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sure there are side effects to statins such as lovastatin.....the most common being elevated lft's(liver function tests), and the much less common statin myopathies(rhabdomyolysis being the most severe case in which muscle cells breakdown and release excessive amounts of myoglobin into the bloodstream that can lead to renal(kidney) insufficiency or failure.) However, the fda knows that this is money out of pharmaceutical companies pockets and lash out against ryr as a result. It's a bunch of crap if you ask me. Yes statin use can be dangerous and blood work needs to be checked, but short term use by a responsible individual will yield all the benefits with minimal, if any sides.

endless

endless

Awards
  • Established
This is just another cry wolf with the fda in bed with big pharma. Once a natural product does work and profits are being jeopardized by the drug company they find something to get the product pulled.

TheRifleman

TheRifleman

Awards
That's interesting information. From my recollection all red rice yeast products can be sold but without the statin. The bottle that I have claims no cholesterol lowering properties. But my brother who works for a major drug company recommends it to family members with high cholesterol and it works. I brought the fact up that it doesnt contain the statin and he says it must be something else in there that has cholesterol lowering properties. Just food for thought.

Eyayo

Eyayo

Awards
im shure if you abuse ryr it can cause problems.....but most just preload before a cycle..and in post cycle.............it's not like your taking it year round??....i still plan on using before and after my next cycle....the fda is b*tching because they could be making money on selling phamicudials with the same effects.....greedy bastards:hammer:
Exactly. Their jus taking out the competition.