Denatured protein at high heat?

Madevilz

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Doesnt heating the pancakes, chips and cookies denature its protein? Isnt this a bad thing? Thanks for answering. :type:

zbtboy

zbtboy

Anabolic Innovations Rep
Awards
  • Established
From everything I've read in the past concerning cooked whey, unless you burn them pretty good, the amount lost is very small.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't our body denature proteins during digestion in order to utilize amino acids?

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Doesnt heating the pancakes, chips and cookies denature its protein? Isnt this a bad thing? Thanks for answering. :type:
Heat denatures proteins which means it changes the shapes of the proteins. For example, cooking changes the shapes of the proteins in an egg when you cook the egg, Denaturing the proteins in the egg changes the texture from slimy to firm. Cooking changes the shape of proteins, but cooking doesn't take away the amino acids found in those proteins. Baking will not ruin your protein.

Or think of it this way we would all be destroying the chicken, meat, eggs and fish we cook ;)

CROWLER

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
But is protein from whey and protein from real food a fair comparison?
Is whey protein fake food? Last I checked it's just been chemically separated from milk. If we really wanted to, we could chemically separate protein from chicken fish beef and eggs as well.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
Is whey protein fake food? Last I checked it's just been chemically separated from milk. If we really wanted to, we could chemically separate protein from chicken fish beef and eggs as well.
I can't wait for ON's 100% Bovine or 100% Poultry!

hmmm... bovine - whey, poultry - egg? DAMNIT! I'm too late!

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can't wait for ON's 100% Bovine or 100% Poultry!

hmmm... bovine - whey, poultry - egg? DAMNIT! I'm too late!
They actually make bovine protein. It is by far the most cost-ineffective protein on the market. I'm still holding out for the 100% trout protein :sick:

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't our body denature proteins during digestion in order to utilize amino acids?
I'm pretty new to this, but I don't think that's quite the case. Denaturation is not strong enough to break the peptide bonds of proteins, but does change the shape of the protein's structure.

I believe that hydrolysis is utilized to break down proteins from their higher structures to lower structures that can be utilized by the body. This is the science behind hydrolyzed whey that allows for quicker absorption. Hydrolyzed whey is in essence, partially digested...:run:

Like I said, this is new to me, so feel free to add on/correct anything.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
You are correct. Cooking will cause the proteins bind/coil tightly not allowing stomach acids to denature them and therefore inhibiting their digestion.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Wait, I'm confused now...who's right?

Denaturation doesn't break proteins down, it simply changes its structure (which dictates its function). Denaturation doesn't effect primary structure though and is also reversible if it's not to an extreme.

I'm not trying to argue, I'm trying to clarify what was said...I've read many of your posts Jonny and you definitely know more about bio & chem than I do.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
I'll try to break it down for you.

Stomach acids denature (unwind proteins) which allows for more surface area. Stomach Enzymes (pepsin) begin breaking large proteins down into smaller peptides. Then hit the dueodenum where CCK triggers release of pancreatic enzymes that further break the peptides to di & tri-peptides. Then brush-border Di & tri-peptidases do the rest of the work.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So is the denaturation actually doing the breaking down of the protein or does it contribute to it? Was I way off about the hydrolysis then?

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You are correct. Cooking will cause the proteins bind/coil tightly not allowing stomach acids to denature them and therefore inhibiting their digestion.
Stomach acids denature (unwind proteins) which allows for more surface area. Stomach Enzymes (pepsin) begin breaking large proteins down into smaller peptides. Then hit the dueodenum where CCK triggers release of pancreatic enzymes that further break the peptides to di & tri-peptides. Then brush-border Di & tri-peptidases do the rest of the work.
So what you're getting at, is that cooking it is sort of like taking a step backwards, right?

Are we overanalyzing this? Meaning, do you think it's really going to make any noticeable difference when we cook them?

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
So is the denaturation actually doing the breaking down of the protein or does it contribute to it? Was I way off about the hydrolysis then?
Contributes. Hydrolysis involves water. It breaks the peptide links allowing proteins to be more easily digested.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
So what you're getting at, is that cooking it is sort of like taking a step backwards, right?

Are we overanalyzing this? Meaning, do you think it's really going to make any noticeable difference when we cook them?
Overcooking or too high temperature. That is why it is important to avoid boiling meats & eggs. Best wat to hardboil an egg is to place eggs in water, apply heat, bring to simmer/boil and cover & remove from heat. Let stand for ~18-20minutes and your done.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Contributes. Hydrolysis involves water. It breaks the peptide links allowing proteins to be more easily digested.
Right, I just wasn't sure how stomach acid and bile came into play along with the hydrolysis...

...thanks for the clarification! Almost everything that I know about this right now is self learned, but I will be taking classes in the near future. I'm actually excited about that :think:

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Right, I just wasn't sure how stomach acid and bile came into play along with the hydrolysis...
Bile plays a role in lipid emulsification and absorption not with protein digestion.

Most hydrolyzed protein powders have been processed with enzymes to break down polypetides to shorter more easily digested peptides

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Cool. Thanks again Jonny. This kind of stuff really intrigues me!