what in the world are Hershey healthy chips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
pestis

pestis

Awards
not even listed on hershey's website. just curious of the ingredients and nutrition profile of these. great in Crowlers cookies but wpould like to know more.
hailz,
Pestis

rippedforce63

Awards
  • Established
I've never seen them before perhaps they are only available to company's.

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
not even listed on hershey's website. just curious of the ingredients and nutrition profile of these. great in Crowlers cookies but wpould like to know more.
hailz,
Pestis
ha, after lots of searching, i found them with the nutrition facts and ingredients.

Hershey's Sugar Free Chocolate Baking Chunks unavailable

sorry crowler, but i dont think your cookies will meet label claims. these chocolate chips are 5g fat per tbsp. i would say 1 serving includes at least 1/3 tbsp of the chips plus the fats from the flax meal powder. oh well, theyre still generally healthy. just probably a little more calorie dense then we thought. i am interested to see the results though

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Hey Wanna Be,

Thanks for your input. This has been talked about before.

The ingredients which are used in commercial applications often are very different as to what are sold in the usual retail outlets such as Walmart.

Eg the sucralose(Splenda) which is sold in grocery stores is VERY different than the sucralose used in industrial applications. For example one gram of what is used in sweetening in a commercial application would be the same as approximately 50 grams of what you get in Walmart.

This is the same as with backing chocolates, flavoing extracts etc etc.

Thanks

CROWLER

p0wn

Awards
I dont believe taht, why would the ingredients be different? Splenda is sold with maltodextrin or whatever b/c of the amount of sucralose required to sweeten food is so minute, and they can market it as cup for cup. I don't think there is a difference b/w the afforementioned chips and the ones that a.i. uses. Unless he can scan a nutritional label or something.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I can vouch for the difference in product between commercial/industrial and consumer targeting.

p0wn

Awards
I'd like to see labels, i dont see why a product made for commercial applications would be healthier, makes no sense to me. Surely someone has access to a label or something to prove me wrong. Words on a forum don't count for much, unfortunately.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Neither do yours. You've now put into question two seperate board sponsors who have proven themselves over and over again and you have nothing but 3 posts and zero contribution to this board.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
To answer your question, I am not saying there IS a difference in this case, only that it is not uncommon.

Products marketed towards the public have to be appealing on their own, whereas something that will be made into a finished product often can be less so because other ingredients will cover.

p0wn

Awards
Neither do yours. You've now put into question two seperate board sponsors who have proven themselves over and over again and you have nothing but 3 posts and zero contribution to this board.
Interesting, you seem to be getting a bit scared for some reason. You say they've proven themselves over and over, and i'm just asking them to prove something they've dodged over and over. I asked this question a month or two right after i joined the board, and my question got deleted. I don't want to post on a board that only the good things get passed through and is overly moderated. But i came back today and the same question is being asked with only a vague 'This question has been asked before'. I think it would be pretty bad for a company to be lying to its customers, they obviously have a very loyal customer base who praise their products on this and other forums. I'm not accusing anyone of anything just asking a question and want it to be backed up by proof. I'm not saying anything nor have said anything against the nutraplanet guy, but isnt he the only one that's currently selling the cookies?

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
No, he isn't. And it isn't the fact you're questioning products. I have no issue with people wanting to know what they put into their bodies. My problem is the tone you're taking.

p0wn

Awards
Ok, the tone i've taken is just an opinion of yours hopefully not others, because it wasn't intended to offend anyone.

I'd like to see the labels of the chocolate chips he puts in his mix, that's all.

TravisCoSheriff

Awards
Who Cares They Taste Good And Are Relatively Healthy For You So I Eat Em Up.

tsc

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I dont believe taht, why would the ingredients be different? Splenda is sold with maltodextrin or whatever b/c of the amount of sucralose required to sweeten food is so minute, and they can market it as cup for cup. I don't think there is a difference b/w the afforementioned chips and the ones that a.i. uses. Unless he can scan a nutritional label or something.
You don't believe it yet you give a perfect example. Splenda is mostly filler, which is all maltodextrin, which is a carb. 1 teaspoon has a small enough amount of carbs to list it as 0 carb, 0 calories. Realistic servings couldn't be listed as calorie free. Unless some company wanted to capatilize on the splenda name, they aren't going to waste the money and the space for that filler.

Sorry but there is no retail version for EVERYTHING that is available at the wholesale level for producers. On a side, in other countries you can get splenda tabs that are mostly sucralose.

TSC

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'de like to see them too, just would be curiouse as to what the percentages of flax, protein, and baking powder were in the cookies. If we knew that plus the label of the chips, one could easily figure out the nutrition facts regaurdless of a lab test.

protomike

protomike

Awards
  • Established
On a side, in other countries you can get splenda tabs that are mostly sucralose.

TSC
extremely true... when i was italy, germany, and switzerland they all had little sucralose tabs at every cafe.

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
I'm eating a HUGE cookie now..... OH NO there might be 3 extra calories than what is stated.... :FUfinger: to all the tear box's

BigMattTx

BigMattTx

Awards
  • Established
Let me first say that the cookies are awesome, the whey is awesome and Cycle Support is freaking great! AI is one of the best companies around.

BUT....personally, my cookies did have a high count of chocolate chips. I would postulate that at least half of the weight was chocalte chips (as they are more dense than the mix). Now, I suppose the real question is "Whats the nutritional breakdown for the chocolate chips?"

I find it hard to believe that they dont have more fat or sugar unless the chocolate chips have a lot splenda in them. if it was a mistake, it was an honest mistake and I trust AI...very reputable company.

Either way, the cookies are not meant to replace whole foods in the diet. They are just a good healthy fix for your sweettooth. When it comes down to it, you will be much better off eating these cookies than an alternative....and they are delicious

And by the way, for anyone that doesnt believe how commercial products differ from retail consumer products, that is shear ignorance.

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I called Hershey and they told me there was no difference between the Suger Free chocolates sold at your supermarket and the ones sold to distributors, just a better price for the quantity ordered. I weighed out my 4 bags of cookie mix and each bag came out to have an average of 578 grams of chocolate chips to 417 grams of actual protein/flax mix.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Being that the nutrients aren't the same does weight mean anything?

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The nutrients are the same, that is what I was saying because I called Hershy so that I could get to the bottom of it. Figured it was the simple thing to do so everyone could stop wondering. All you have to do is weigh out your chips with a sifter and weigh out you powder, then add a certain amount of chips per cookie made. 15 grams of chips=5 grams of fat, so it's up to everyone.

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
I called Hershey and they told me there was no difference between the Suger Free chocolates sold at your supermarket and the ones sold to distributors, just a better price for the quantity ordered. I weighed out my 4 bags of cookie mix and each bag came out to have an average of 578 grams of chocolate chips to 417 grams of actual protein/flax mix.
how big were these bigs? were they the 5lb bags? if they are indeed the same product then 15g = 5g fat, 9g carbs (1g fiber, some are maltitol). so each 5 lb container includes 139g fat and 250g carbs from the chocolate chips.

there are 60 servings making each cookie have approximately 2g fat and 6g carbs coming from the chocolate chips.

now, filter the flax mill from the protein powder and sucralose and we can determine total fat/fiber:think:

haha, jk. this is good enough for me. the nutrition label cant be that far off so who cares? if anyone is honestly stressing over this, they can take some of the chocolate chips out... problem solved!

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
that was for the 2 lb bags that were form Nutraplanet.

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
that was for the 2 lb bags that were form Nutraplanet.
uh oh:ntome: this changes everything. regardless, im still gonna enjoy each and every serving. interesting how off the manufacturer is... i dont think its crowlers fault by any means but how did they come up with the initial nutrition facts?

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yea I know, I just add the chips in myself and weigh them, that way I know exactly how much fat I am getting. I end up throwing most of them out. Surprisingly there isn't much flax seed powder in the mix either, looks like it is mostly protein and baking powder. The flax easily seperates from the whey with a sifter. So the flax doesn't add much fat. But that also means there is not much fiber in the mix.

sumguy

Awards
How can you possibly know that the flax seperates out? Milled flax seed has very fine particals as well as courser particals. I just added some more to my cookie to be sure, but flax is the cheapest ingredient so there's no reason they would skimp on it.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Crowler isn't making this anymore so there's no real need to continue this.

Status
Not open for further replies.