Protein shake vs. Protein Bar?

jbrave4

Awards
I take NitroTech( well at least i used to). Everytime after I took it my stomach would absolutely explode. I would get cramps and have diarhea. So I need an alternative to the the liquid form. So how are the bars?..or what is another type of protein supplement I can take NOT IT liquor form?..

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
Bars and powders cannot be compared. Bars are processed, most filled with hydrolyzed collagen, polydextrose, are high in fat, and whole bunch of other negatives that a pure powder doesnt carry. So no comparision there. Other than uping your whole food intake and lessening your powder intake, i would find yourself a powder thats easier on your stomach. Plenty to choose from.
Sage

Siberian

Awards
Agreed. Try ATW protein especially the isolate if digestion seems to be a problem for you...they're a board sponsor, are very cheap, and have high quality protein which digests very well (this based on what I have experienced and hear). Good luck.

Neuromancer

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like you may be lactose intolerant to some degree. Try some lactade.

cctez

Board Supporter
Awards
Sounds like you may be lactose intolerant to some degree. Try some lactade.
That may well be. But lactaid is not the solution for protien powders. I am severley lactose intolerant.

You might try testing this. It's simple to do. Start fasting from about 8pm, until 8am the following morning. Then, have a large glass of milk, and don't eat for another couple hours. If you have gas, or cramping, or worse bowel problems, chances are high that you are LI.

If you are going to be working out, you need to find a protien that is lactose free. I recommend two.

For a protien, use Optimum Whey. It is very pure and contains very little sugar. They also supplement the protien with lactase, so even highly LI people can tolerate it. Even I can drink it, which means it is OK!

Second, if you are looking for an MRP, then Muscle Milk is hard to beat. I think it is lactose free. Finding an MRP without lactose is very tough.

So far as bars go. I would say that 9 out of 10 bars contain a signifcant amount of lactose, so be careful with those too.

Goo luck!