BCAA - AnabolicMinds.com

BCAA

BCAA

PA, I got a sample of this BCAA at my local store the other day. Is this another fancy window dressing or is this something new? I couldn't find any info regarding this.
    Tri-Pep BCAA 10g
    (Glycyl-Alanyl-L-Isoleucine, Glycyl-Alanyl-L-Leucine, Glycyl-Glutamine-L-Valine)

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by brklynkd View Post
    PA, I got a sample of this BCAA at my local store the other day. Is this another fancy window dressing or is this something new? I couldn't find any info regarding this.
    Tri-Pep BCAA 10g
    (Glycyl-Alanyl-L-Isoleucine, Glycyl-Alanyl-L-Leucine, Glycyl-Glutamine-L-Valine)

that is branched chain aminos in tripeptide form. I am very very skeptical as it should be very expensive to make these. My hunch is that its simply a blend of the free amino acids

I am not sure what advantage this tripeptide form would have. Maybe it would spare some of the aminos from being catabolized in the gut, but even so that is not considered a big deal with BCAAs anyway
    Anabolicminds.com Featured Author

so basically I can just stick to regular BCAA's and save my money. Im so sick of these companies using smoke and mirrors. Thanks for the info PA. You are top notch!
    •   

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

unless there is some secret here i am unawares of

Im sure your on point just these companies are not
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

I worked for a franchise-owned store of a very popular supplement retailer while I was in college. We sold a line of products that our corporate stores hadn't begun selling yet. One of the prodcuts in this line purportedly contained 3,000mg of of an Omega 3,6,9 and Vitamin E blend AS WELL as 1,000mg of CLA..... PER GELCAP!

It was almost laughable if it hadn't been for the fact these things sold like hotcaks. The gelcaps were even smaller than the large ones you see in a lot of run-of-the-mill Fish Oil supplements that have 1g per gelcap.

While we, or anybody else for that matter, never had them tested it was pretty obvious it was a bunch of crap. Moral of the story: If you know anything about supplements just use good common sense/ your instincts and if it seems too good to be true then it probably is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceredumbellum View Post
    I worked for a franchise-owned store of a very popular supplement retailer while I was in college. We sold a line of products that our corporate stores hadn't begun selling yet. One of the prodcuts in this line purportedly contained 3,000mg of of an Omega 3,6,9 and Vitamin E blend AS WELL as 1,000mg of CLA..... PER GELCAP!

It was almost laughable if it hadn't been for the fact these things sold like hotcaks. The gelcaps were even smaller than the large ones you see in a lot of run-of-the-mill Fish Oil supplements that have 1g per gelcap.

While we, or anybody else for that matter, never had them tested it was pretty obvious it was a bunch of crap. Moral of the story: If you know anything about supplements just use good common sense/ your instincts and if it seems too good to be true then it probably is.

I'm tellin ya it doesnt pay to be honest in this industry

Its the wild wild west.... anything goes for a quick buck! We work hard for our money and just want to invest in quality products and these banana heads want to rip us off...... "Some people say "If you can't beat them, join them". I say "If you can't beat them, beat them", because they will be expecting you to join them, so you will have the element of surprise.
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by brklynkd View Post
    Its the wild wild west.... anything goes for a quick buck! We work hard for our money and just want to invest in quality products and these banana heads want to rip us off...... "Some people say "If you can't beat them, join them". I say "If you can't beat them, beat them", because they will be expecting you to join them, so you will have the element of surprise.
    It's crazy. I think it has gotten worse since the early-mid 2000's and I would have never thought that at the time. There was so much crap being sold that was a waste of money, not to mention the occassional supplement that would turn up spiked with something illegal.

The first I recall (though I'm sure it goes back a lot farther) seeing a bunch of gimmecky advertising/ marketing for supplements were the old Muscletech ads from the late 90's. I was a teenager at the time and hadn't been training but a few years and these damned ads had me virtually begging my parents to buy me several bottles of Anotesten and Hydroxycut. I'm glad they didn't, though Hydroxycut later turned into my favorite fat-burner/ stimulant.

Maybe things are worse now because pro-hormones are illegal and there still isn't anything legal that compares to Ephedra/ Ephedrine for fat-burning/ appetite suppression. Those two categories constituted a huge chunk of the sports dietary supplement sales. There have been some exceptions where novel and effective new supplements were introduced. PA and a few others in the industry come to mind. But for the most part it has been a lot of shady marketing and repackaging of old ingredients in a pathetic attempt to make them seem potent or hardcore.

I can't tell you how many times I've gone to a supplement store and thought about getting a supplement, looked at the ingredients, noticed every one of them had six dashes and 8 numbers in its' name and just didn't buy it because of a sense of deception. Then I'd go home and Google it and find out it was nothing but a confusing, deceptive way to list DHEA or caffeine, lol...

Consumers have become so much more educated than they were in the 90s. The internet has made a tremendous difference. It makes it harder for companies to BS on a large scale like MT did back in the nitrotech days
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Arnold View Post
    Consumers have become so much more educated than they were in the 90s. The internet has made a tremendous difference. It makes it harder for companies to BS on a large scale like MT did back in the nitrotech days
    So true. The internet has been a godsend for consumers and a nightmare for those on the other end that are dishonest and/ or deceptive. That is the case in so many different venues.

I would love to know how much the founders of MuscleTech made when they sold the company. It had to have been a damned fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceredumbellum View Post
    So true. The internet has been a godsend for consumers and a nightmare for those on the other end that are dishonest and/ or deceptive. That is the case in so many different venues.

I would love to know how much the founders of MuscleTech made when they sold the company. It had to have been a damned fortune.

i think bob kennedy owned most of it
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Arnold View Post
    i think bob kennedy owned most of it
    Funny... It sure appeared that way with all of the Muscletech ads in MuscleMag and MT being mentioned in what seemed like every article and column. They're actually owned by Iovate Health Sciences, which I don't know much about other than they're pretty damn big.

MuscleMag was the first bodybuilding magazine I read on a regular basis. That's where I got my crash course in anabolics and androgens. It was a really good magazine until the MT stuff started.

I didn't know Kennedy died almost exactly a year ago. From everything I've read he sounded it sounds like he was a pretty decent guy.

Similar Forum Threads

1. BCAA mega-dose experiment results
    By Beast in forum Supplements
    Replies: 96
    Last Post: 04-25-2005, 11:27 AM
  2. Making My Own BCAA Pre/During WO Cocktail
    By Beowulf in forum Supplements
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 02-10-2005, 06:24 PM
  3. Is there a need to add EAA/BCAAs to PWO shakes?
    By Rock Lee in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-22-2004, 12:44 AM
  4. BCAA from 1fast... good deal?
    By houseman in forum Supplements
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-19-2004, 06:46 AM