Left Ventricle Hypertrophy?

Profion

Awards
Hey Patrick!

I was thinking what your opinion is on LVH. In the bodybuilding world it is a natural phenomen and happens to almost every serious bodybuilder out there. In the medical world, they see LVH as a bad sign this could be due to comparing it with LVH caused by highblood pressure.

The studies that i have read, say that almost 90% og bodybuilders that are really into the sport and have used steorids develop LVH to some degree. Other studies also say that natural bodybuilders that have been working out for 7+ years develop LVH at some extent, think it was around 60% of the naturals

What is your look apon LVH?

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
there are others more versed in this area than I am on this board that should handle this question

Profion

Awards
Hope they answer then :D or should i have posted in another section ?

KimChee

KimChee

Awards
LVH is a predictor of CHF, CAD, and CVA in the hypertensive population. From observation, I would presume the bodybuilding population falls under the hypertensive population. The most common cause of heart "thickening" is chronic uncontrolled hypertension. It's also common for lineman in football, and other type athletes to develop LVH. I'm no expert on this topic, just wanted to put a few comments on here and get subbed to the thread. I believe at some point, it's important to get an echo done, I had one last year and I'm in my late 30s now. I did have heart enlargement on the lateral views, due to uncontrolled HBP, I have just put off using medication to control it..I also spoke to my cardiologist, he said things like prohomone usage would be somewhat unrelated..hmmm..Just wondering also how much of this is from extra weight we carry (even if it's muscle), or if chronic uncontrolled HBP plays into this as well as the valsalva maneuver, or if I'm even on the right track lol. Anyways, hopefully someone a bit more versed will chime in..

BBB

BBB

Awards
  • Established
I had this discussion several years ago with someone else on this forum. We researched the subject and found a study conducted on BB'ers. They found and in BB'ers that used steroids only the LVH was only marginally pronounced. But in BB'ers that used both steroids and GH is was highly pronounced. I can't seem to fine this study at present.

Profion

Awards
I my self have LVH, so i was just wondering what people knew about it and that alot of bodybuilders/people out there actually might have it without knowing it.

When i first began training and had an eating disorder i weighted around 48kg at the age 16 "180cm" i bulked two years and went from eating around 1000calories to 3000-4000 i gained 45kg on 2years of eating n working out. So i assume that LVH actually is an adaptation of the heart for the sport we do, the heart pumps blood way faster and LVH can be seen by how hard the heart is pumping too..

Alot of athletes out there get heart adaptation, such as athletes heart. I think that ive started a LVH topic here before, but thats 2years ago or such.. But i would recommend people to get a heart scan

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
There is a difference between exercise-induced LVH and pathological LVH. In the case of pathology, you see a remodeling phenomenon that disrupts the heart's intrinsic contractility and ability to pump. If you are simply exercising without taking exogenous substances, you have nothing to worry about. Although bear in mind that the increase in SV/hypertrophy of the left ventricle is more often an adaptation to aerobic exercise.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I my self have LVH, so i was just wondering what people knew about it and that alot of bodybuilders/people out there actually might have it without knowing it.

When i first began training and had an eating disorder i weighted around 48kg at the age 16 "180cm" i bulked two years and went from eating around 1000calories to 3000-4000 i gained 45kg on 2years of eating n working out. So i assume that LVH actually is an adaptation of the heart for the sport we do, the heart pumps blood way faster and LVH can be seen by how hard the heart is pumping too..

Alot of athletes out there get heart adaptation, such as athletes heart. I think that ive started a LVH topic here before, but thats 2years ago or such.. But i would recommend people to get a heart scan
The adaptation is actually a result of a compensatory mechanism to exercise. Exercise drives up HR with minimal effects on SV, so the body compensates by increasing SV via LVH. This is why athletes have lower resting heart rates...because their SV is higher, necessitating less pumping action.

Profion

Awards
Thanks for the imput bro, well i dont think that my resting heart rate is lower then normal. And the athletes heart that i developed from weight resistance isent the same as from cardio enduced onces. But yes, i think it is an normal adaptation of the heart to assist us in what we are doing.. People dont tend to think that there are actually changes within the body, when people go at a task for some years..