Does Pump Spray work through increasing NO?

sanguine

Awards
Hello, I have been reading about how transdermal nitrate patches are good for healing tendon and ligament problems. This is due to increasing NO production. Unfortunately they are prescription only; the government says "no".

That has got me looking for other ways to target NO increases at specific areas of the body. I have read the product literature on pump spray but did not see it explicitly stated how the stuff works.

Does pump spray work by locally increasing NO? And thus could be use to replicate the effects of transdermal nitrate patches?

Thanks,
Sam

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
No, NO is just one means by which vascular smooth muscle relaxation can occur. The "metabolic" theory of bloodflow dictates that local metabolites, including adenosine, serve a role primarily in cardiac and skeletal muscle perfusion.

sanguine

Awards
Yeah, thats what I was thinking just by reading the write up on the stuff and noticing the lack of mention of NO.

That said, if pump spray is effective at boosting circulation perhaps it could still be useful for tendon ligament health by increasing local blood supplies to these typically blood-poor tissues?

On a related note, I cant really find out much about the ingredients of joint force spray. What is the proposed mechanism for them?

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
I am pretty sure that it has to work via NO. I dont think something can be vasodilating without NO being involved

sanguine

Awards
I am pretty sure that it has to work via NO. I dont think something can be vasodilating without NO being involved

Interesting, so it could be used to replicate the effects of glyceryl trinitrate? Also, that goes against Mr. Cooper's contribution that NO is just one way of many that vasodilation can occur. Do you care to expound upon your comment regarding the metabolic theory of bloodflow, Mr. cooper?

Sam

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
Interesting, so it could be used to replicate the effects of glyceryl trinitrate? Also, that goes against Mr. Cooper's contribution that NO is just one way of many that vasodilation can occur. Do you care to expound upon your comment regarding the metabolic theory of bloodflow, Mr. cooper?Sam
Maybe I am wrong but I am under the impression that NO is the key signal for vasodilation and ultimately it has to be effected by any agent that has vasodilating actionsAnd no, that does not mean its gonna duplicate nitroglycerine. nitroglycerine breaks down into NO and provides a large amount of NO that is under no physiological regulation. It basically will blast an area with NO. Isosorbide dinitrate topical does the same thing. i made a isopropyl dintrate topical for fun a while back. you cant spray too much or u get a headache

sanguine

Awards
Maybe I am wrong but I am under the impression that NO is the key signal for vasodilation and ultimately it has to be effected by any agent that has vasodilating actionsAnd no, that does not mean its gonna duplicate nitroglycerine. nitroglycerine breaks down into NO and provides a large amount of NO that is under no physiological regulation. It basically will blast an area with NO. Isosorbide dinitrate topical does the same thing. i made a isopropyl dintrate topical for fun a while back. you cant spray too much or u get a headache

Well thanks for your input. I unfortunately don't have access to a proper lab or the chemicals to cook this stuff up, and even if I did i'd be scared to go through with it.

You should make a transdermal nitrate for prototype nutrition!

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
Well thanks for your input. I unfortunately don't have access to a proper lab or the chemicals to cook this stuff up, and even if I did i'd be scared to go through with it.

You should make a transdermal nitrate for prototype nutrition!
i opted to synthesize isosorbide dinitrate rather than nitroglycerin, for reasons that should be obvious

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Adenosine-dependent vasodilation requires direct interaction with adenosine receptors, resulting in smooth muscle relaxation via elevation in cAMP (antagonizing Ca2+). NO is not involved in the process. This is an example of metabolic autoregulation of bloodflow:

Exercising cardiac or skeletal muscle releases adenosine into the local environment
Adenosine continues to build up as metabolic demand on the muscle increases
Adenosine agonizes local vascular smooth muscle adenosine receptors, increasing cAMP and causing relaxation
Bloodflow to the regions increases as a result of vasodilation
Greater bloodflow results in a "washing away" effect of local metabolites including adenosine
Agonism of adenosine receptors is thus removed once the exercising tissue is adequately perfused
If demand for bloodflow rises again, the process repeats itself

In other words, this is purely autoregulatory and intrinsic to the tissue. There are also myogenic and flow-based theories of autoregulation, but NO is not​ an example of autoregulation per se.