Technical Question About Transdermals

tstarks

Awards
If I make a simple transdermal out of water with just water-soluble ingredients, with DMSO as the carrier, and I added some amount of glycerin to help "thicken" it a bit, purely for ease of application, would this negatively effect the absorption of ingredients? I ask because I read glycerin penetrates only the first few layers of skin (not all 7), and then sits there drawing water into it. I'm wondering if instead of the ingredients penetrating all layers to the tissue with the help of DMSO as would normally happen, the glycerin will absorb the water (with the ingredients diluted into it) while it sits in a more superficial layer of skin, and prevent it from going as deep as it should.

I also wondered if thickening the formulation with some cellulose derivative would be better, but those basically work by absorbing mass amounts of water when you mix them in. They also doesn't penetrate the skin at all--so, in theory most of the transdermal would just sit atop the skin with the cellulose it was absorbed into. Is this correct?

Sorry if these questions are a bit involved.

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
what are the water soluble ingredients? unless they also have some lipid solubility they arent gonna absorb much

tstarks

Awards
Well I'm thinking micronized magnesium. Will the ingredients I mentioned (glycerin or calluloses) hinder it's absorption any more than if I didn't indlude them?

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
Well I'm thinking micronized magnesium. Will the ingredients I mentioned (glycerin or calluloses) hinder it's absorption any more than if I didn't indlude them?

magnesium what?

micronized magnesium metal can easily burst into flames upon exposure to air

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I assume he is trying to make a magnesium oil like those being sold so I will take a guess at magnesium chloride.

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
I assume he is trying to make a magnesium oil like those being sold so I will take a guess at magnesium chloride.

i dont know anything about this. My guess is that it cant absorb effectively because the system has no affinity for lipids. But maybe he is only interested in getting magnesium into the upper layers of skin?

what is the point anyway? trouble absorbing oral magnesium supps?

tstarks

Awards
Well, I honestly haven't really made up my mind yet about which ingredients I'm using. magnesium was just one idea (oxide, by the way). Maybe I'll add some oleic acid + emulsifier to make it more lipid friendly, that's a good idea. I was just wondering mainly about the glycerin and the cellulose questions; seems like something a chemist would know, and I don't really know where else to post the question...

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
Well, I honestly haven't really made up my mind yet about which ingredients I'm using. magnesium was just one idea (oxide, by the way). Maybe I'll add some oleic acid + emulsifier to make it more lipid friendly, that's a good idea.

it wont make your magnesium chloride more lipid friendly

tstarks

Awards
I see. If an already lipid-friendly active material used, would the aforementioned thickeners interfere with absorption then?

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
I see. If an already lipid-friendly active material used, would the aforementioned thickeners interfere with absorption then?
polymer thickeners shouldnt make a difference. the liquid and active will still diffuse while the polymer stays on the surface of the skin

Lutztenways

Lutztenways

Awards
Ok, PA

Love the sprays, love 100% coconut oil as a moisturizer, love magnesium oil topical.

How might coconut oil or magnesium oil disrupt UR spray, pump spray, r spray?

I what order and what type of spacing should I shoot for between application of your sprays and coconut oil?

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
Ok, PA

Love the sprays, love 100% coconut oil as a moisturizer, love magnesium oil topical.

How might coconut oil or magnesium oil disrupt UR spray, pump spray, r spray?

I what order and what type of spacing should I shoot for between application of your sprays and coconut oil?

I dunno but it might disprupt. I would shower and put on the sprays and then a few hours later perhaps use the other stuff.

Quadzilla99

Quadzilla99

Awards
  • Established
what are the water soluble ingredients? unless they also have some lipid solubility they arent gonna absorb much
How do you find out information about this? I mean like short of getting a degree in chemistry. Are there online resources? I make a homemade msm cream to help with my rosacea since a study showed that a msm and milk thistle cream was effective in treating rosacea. I know from googling around that you can just dissolve msm powder in distilled water and add it to a sensitive skin lotion cream but I could never find out if I could just do the same with opening up some milk thistle caps

Quadzilla99

Quadzilla99

Awards
  • Established
The same thing with vitamin k which theoretically would help with the rosacea redness, could I just crush vitamin k pills and add them to my skin lotion. The reason I have to make the cream is because rosacea is notoriously sensitive to a ****losd of things so if I just buy a premade cream a lot of them contain ingredients which would just aggravate the condition

Quadzilla99

Quadzilla99

Awards
  • Established
I hate to be a pain in the ass here, but can I just break these milk thistle caps open here and add them to distilled water and they'll be absorbed by my skin..I was googling again today and I can't figure this **** out.

Beejis60

Beejis60

Awards
I hate to be a pain in the ass here, but can I just break these milk thistle caps open here and add them to distilled water and they'll be absorbed by my skin..I was googling again today and I can't figure this **** out.
lol no.