β-Cyclodextrin & Hydrophobic Compounds

McBurly

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
For my own experiments I was curious how exactly you go about complexing a compound with cyclodextrins(CD), primarily a hydrophobic compound. I've been googling up a storm and with my basic knowledge of chemistry its a bit confusing. Is it as simple as combining the CD and the compound in a solution, heating and using a magnetic stir?
Would CD help increase the absorption of hydrophobic compounds being absorbed sublingually?
Would CD help increase the effectiveness of a hydrophobic compounds crossing the dermis? Im assuming it would not but just thought I would ask.

Thank you for your time.

Beejis60

Beejis60

Awards
What are you attempting to "complex"? Do you mean complexation as a sort of chelating effecting, similar to a drug delivery CDs are modeled to do? Or are you trying to make a covalent bond to one of the free alcohols?

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
i will answer you one thing and that is that cyclodextrins generally are not favorable for transdermal absorption

how to make cyclo complexes OTOH is a bit of an art that i have developed throughout the years and as such is something i keep to myself

McBurly

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Been doing more and more research and finally understanding CD's a bit more. Its not as straight forward and easy as I was led to believe. Some complexes can be formed 1:1 ratio, others need more CD's to surround the compound as some wont fully be enveloped into it. Too little CD and it wont complex, too much and it can degrade the compounds, some compounds can form complexes easier w/ different forms of CD's, randomly methylated CD's, alpha, beta, etc etc
And the two methods I've read a little about is either putting the two compounds in some sort of grinder, or into a tube that rotates and tumbles over long periods of time. A small amount of moisture tends to assist in the formation as well as lower temperatures typically do as well. But just like Pat said it does seem these procedures are kept fairly secret.
Beta CD's are dirt cheap in comparison to the many other CD's out there and this is why supp companies are using them over others.

It was interesting to learn that CD's complexes can help stabilize compounds in higher temperatures.

I'm curious if supp companies using CD's are measuring to see if they actually form full complexes w/ their products (I believe this is done through some sort of UV measurement) or just throwing them together and calling it good.

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
Been doing more and more research and finally understanding CD's a bit more. Its not as straight forward and easy as I was led to believe. Some complexes can be formed 1:1 ratio, others need more CD's to surround the compound as some wont fully be enveloped into it. Too little CD and it wont complex, too much and it can degrade the compounds, .

huh?

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
I'm curious if supp companies using CD's are measuring to see if they actually form full complexes w/ their products (I believe this is done through some sort of UV measurement) or just throwing them together and calling it good.
pretty much everyone that has a cyclodextrin in their list of ingredients has simply blended it into their formula with no effort to ensure complexation