Bulk Psyllium husk

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been taking Now Foods Whole Psyllium husk now for probably 6 months. I have asked this question before years ago before this section existed and never got a straight answer. I'm wondering if taking this product at the same time as any other supplement would stop the absorption of the supplement I'm taking it with. For instance, today I started taking taking Ursoblic at 3 caps 6 times a day instead of 6 caps 3 times a day. One of those times just happens to fall on the same time as I'm taking a dose of Ursobolic. I'm always taking some kind of supplement each time I eat. I even have two supplements that I have to take on an empty stomach which I try to separate at least 1 hour from my last meal and 1 hour till I eat again and call that an empty stomach. That complicates things even more. Anyway I have thought that taking the psyllium husk may slow the absorption of the supplements but I'm just not quite sure. No one has ever been able to give me a straight answer on this. Does it slow the absorption or could it stop me from absorbing any supplements all together?.

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
I've been taking Now Foods Whole Psyllium husk now for probably 6 months. I have asked this question before years ago before this section existed and never got a straight answer. I'm wondering if taking this product at the same time as any other supplement would stop the absorption of the supplement I'm taking it with. For instance, today I started taking taking Ursoblic at 3 caps 6 times a day instead of 6 caps 3 times a day. One of those times just happens to fall on the same time as I'm taking a dose of Ursobolic. I'm always taking some kind of supplement each time I eat. I even have two supplements that I have to take on an empty stomach which I try to separate at least 1 hour from my last meal and 1 hour till I eat again and call that an empty stomach. That complicates things even more. Anyway I have thought that taking the psyllium husk may slow the absorption of the supplements but I'm just not quite sure. No one has ever been able to give me a straight answer on this. Does it slow the absorption or could it stop me from absorbing any supplements all together?.

it could slow absorption of food and supplements but i dont think it should interfere with absorption. although some fibers can bind to things like cholesterol and interefere with their absorption.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Precautions:

Because supplements may have side effects or interact with medications, you should take them only under the supervision of a knowledgeable health care provider.

Psyllium supplements may reduce or delay the absorption of certain medications (See Possible Interactions). As a rule, you should not take psyllium supplements at the same time as other medications. Take psyllium at least 1 hour before or 2 - 4 hours after taking other medications.

You should always take psyllium with a full 8 oz. glass of water, and you should drink at least 6 - 8 full glasses of water throughout the day to avoid constipation. Taking psyllium supplements without adequate liquids may cause it to swell, and, in extreme cases, cause choking.

Do not take this product if you have bowel obstructions or spasms, or if you have difficulty swallowing. People with esophageal stricture (narrowing of the esophagus) or any other narrowing or obstruction of the gastrointestinal tract should not take psyllium.

A potential side effect from any fiber product is gas and bloating.

People with kidney disease should talk to their doctor before taking psyllium.
Possible Interactions:

If you are being treated with any of the following medications, you should not use psyllium supplements without first talking to your health care provider.

Antidepressant medications, Tricyclics -- Dietary fiber has been shown to lower the blood levels and effectiveness of tricyclic antidepressant medications in some patients. If you take tricyclic antidepressants, talk to your doctor before taking psyllium. Tricyclic antidepressants include:

Amitriptyline (Elavil)
Doxepin (Sinequan)
Imipramine (Tofranil)

Carbemazepine (Tegretol) -- Taking psyllium with carbamazepine, a medication used to treat seizures, may decrease the absorption and effectiveness of carbamazepine.

Cholesterol-lowering medications (bile acid sequestrants) -- Taking psyllium with cholesterol-lowering medications called bile acid sequestrants may help further lower cholesterol levels and may reduce side effects of colestipol. Talk to your doctor about whether this may be an option for you. Bile acid sequestrants include:

Cholestyramine (Questram)
Colestipol (Colestid)

Diabetes medications -- Fiber supplements may reduce levels of blood sugar, making the possibility of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) more likely. Talk to your doctor before taking fiber supplements, as your dose of diabetes medications may need to be adjusted.

Digoxin -- Fiber supplements may reduce the absorption of digoxin, a medication used to regulate heart function. You should not take fiber supplements at the same time as digoxin.

Lithium -- Psyllium may lower lithium levels in the blood, reducing the effectiveness of this medication. If you are taking both psyllium and lithium, you should take them at least 1 - 2 hours apart, and your doctor should closely monitor your lithium levels.

Reviewed last on: 6/17/2011
Steven D. Ehrlich, NMD, Solutions Acupuncture, a private practice specializing in complementary and alternative medicine, Phoenix, AZ. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks Patrick and David Dunn. I don't take it anywhere near the time I take any medications though. Supplements, yes, medications no. Love Psyllium husk, don't think I'll ever go without it.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
"When the husk comes in contact with moisture, it swells into a gelatinous mass that keeps stools hydrated and soft, and adds bulk that stimulates the bowel to contract and move waste through the intestines."

Consider it's MOA. I imagine it could decrease the absorption of many things it may co-mingle with in your digestive tract. It would stand to reason that whenever possible I would avoid taking it near something supplemental that I have spent my good money on.

I've just begun to now consume it with meals, as for the most part many of my supplementals are consumed between meals. It also increase satiety of smaller portioned meals during caloric deficit.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Nutrition / Health 2
Nutrition / Health 1
schizm Supplements 1
SatishOG Anabolics 19
Supplements 4