Dr. Houser's Suggested Daily Supplementation

domore

Awards
Hey all,

So, I have been taking notes on Dr. Houser's suggested supplementation for a while. I wanted to combine all of his suggestions into one thread and hopefully get Dr. Houser to shed a little more of his knowledge. These suggestions are not posted with any specific goal in mind; they are just a conglomeration of his suggestions for growth hormone, pre-, peri-, and post-workout, and daily health.

This is just a simple informational thread to gather the wealth of Dr. Houser's knowledge. Please add on to this thread if you have had any of conversations with Dr. Houser.

GH Protocol

Pre-Workout: 30-60 minutes

2g Niacin (He likes a product called Enduracin)
600-1200mg Alpha-GPC

Post-Workout: Immediately following

5g GABA

Pre-Bed: 30-60 minutes

20g Arginine
5g GABA

Macronutrients

Pre-Workout

"Pre" has many definitions. I define "pre" by GastroIntestinal (GI) transit time; therefore about 2-2.5 hours before the workout - I am NOT a fan of macronutrients at all. It's counter-productive to hormonal outlay (counter-regulatory hormones suffer most...in particular - catecholamines - epinephrine or adrenaline / norepinephrine or noradrenaline / dopamine). Now, if one wants to throw stimulants into the mix…so be it immediately before – but macros should be left out, contrary to whatever pre-workout supplement manufacturers or vested-interest studies would lend to the contrary. I am also NOT a fan of arginine pre-workout. So how many pre-workout supplements have I eliminated?

Intra-Workout

This one is tricky. It makes some people feel better to carry their bottles, etc with them…however, I am a fan of lifting when I am in the gym and leaving the ingestion of something for when I am not. Do I think it will make an astronomical difference either way? I would answer with an EMPHATIC NO! Now, understand that cortisol is at its highest about 45 minutes into the workout (provided you are truly working “intensely” – recall the definition of this in resistance training is how close you lift to your 1RM; NOT moving from machine-to-machine quickly). I do have people ingest some form of leucine (free-form, peptides, etc…) if there workout will extend beyond 60 minutes, but from a macro standpoint; this is probably MORE than enough (contrary to what all the makers of intra-workout blends would lend you to believe). Now, this is NOT to say I object to other types of ergogenic nutrients…we’re limiting the discussion of this post to macronutrients alone.

Post-Workout

As quick acting a protein as you possibly can. I am likely looking at a hydrosylate OR minimally, an isolate (which continues to see rising prices; so don’t be surprised if supplement manufacturers try and sell you there crappy quality protein suggesting it somehow superior…IT ISN’T!). Now – remember from the BCAA discussion thread that I am a fan of an amino acid pool consisting of leucine at 25% the total. Which means that if you were ingesting 40 grams of whey isolate/hyrdosylate; you are starting with about 4.8 grams of leucine or 12% the total amino pool. If you calculate needs for maximum MPS; you need about 6-7 grams of supplemental leucine added to this pool.
I also believe that the first whole-food meal should be about 1 hour after the workout, then resuming the 2-3 hour interval period between ingestion would occur thereafter.

Notes:
-Dr. Houser also suggested that taking 2g of Niacin pre-workout coupled with 2g of LCLT post-workout, you are receiving your biggest post-workout recovery "bang for your buck." He also suggests Humanofort dosed pre-bed, however it might be cost prohibitive.

Top Ten (with preferred dosing)

10. Selenium
- 400 mcg of selenomethionine daily for adequate prevention of deficiency with male effects ranging from proper thyroid function to ensuring ideal fertility.

9. Creatine (MCC or Creatine Orotate preferred)
- 2.5- 5 grams of combined creatine salts per day for the average 200-lb. bodybuilder and dependent upon activity level alongside body composition.

8. Curcumin
- I was not kidding earlier in the thread when I said – as much as you can feasibly afford. If not a low-carb advocate, the expression “sprinkle it on your corn flakes” may be appropriate.

7. Magnesium (100s of enzymatic processes in the body)
- This is one which will depend upon the salt used. In other words – magnesium orotate has wonderful bioavailability but the orotic acid molecule is very large limiting the amount of elemental magnesium you get. If using something more common like magnesium oxide, you are talking about 2 oxygen molecules limiting the amount of elemental magensium to a much lighter degree. Magnesium oxide is our standardizing molecule where we would use about 400 mg per day to ensure adequate amounts, whereas magnesium orotate is about double this. Most other magnesium salts fall somewhere between the two.
- Keep in mind this general rule of thumb when shopping for magnesium, the lower the amount of elemental magnesium, the higher the level of bioavailability (there are a few exceptions to this BUT that generally holds true).

6. L-carnitine (all forms, but LOVE LCLT/PLC/ALCAR combo);
- Would prefer about 2 grams of each; all forms have a different tissue predilection.

5. Leucine (NOT all BCAAs; leucine alone is overlooked and the only sole ketogenic BCAA);

- 25% your total amino acid pool for Maximum Muscle Protein Synthesis; if you need more info (and I mean really need more) – see the BCAA Discussion Thread.

4. Beta-alanine (has supplanted creatine as the true necessity when it comes to anti-oxidant prowess and ergogenic value...its unmatched);
- 3.2 grams or some rough estimate that hits the study mark.

3. CoQ10 (multi-function strikes again - can change type I muscle fibers to type IIs; can protect the heart; act as an antioxidant, etc...);
* Minimum 200mg-1000mg Ubiquinone / 100-500mg Ubiquinol

2. Vitamins C and D (Vit C at 500 mg with EVERY meal through the day; even eating is an oxidative process. NO MORE than 500mg so abort pills that contain 1000 mg or whatever...they actually turn PRO-oxidant. Also, Vit C is vital at promoting collagen resynthesis. Vitamin D. What can I say? Actually, what can I not?);
- Vitamin C – 500mg with every meal except pre- and post-workout meals
- Vitamin D – 2000-12,000 IU dependent upon multiple factors

1. B Complex (not flashy and can be taken with Vit C at all meals, but given its multitude of functions and co-factor offering, I wouldn't dream of going without it).
- Co-factor form preferred, roughly 3-4 evenly-spaced doses throughout the day.

Garyboy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The 20 grams of Arginine before bed is interesting. Wouldn't that result in some heavy duty nausea and diarrhea? Interested in hearing what the doctor has to say about this. Great thread. Thanks for starting it.

domore

Awards
The 20 grams of Arginine before bed is interesting. Wouldn't that result in some heavy duty nausea and diarrhea? Interested in hearing what the doctor has to say about this. Great thread. Thanks for starting it.
I'm not sure of the mechanism behind the 20 grams. However, Dr. Houser isn't joking about the amount.

domore

Awards
Does anybody have knowledge on the ACES regimen?

Garyboy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hopefully he sees this thread soon so we can have his reasoning behind it.

broons

Awards
  • Established
Dr. Houser has never mentioned it, but from a pure longevity/health standpoint, I would be inclined to add vitamin K2, mk-4 or mk-7, to this list.

Magnesium, I really like the Albion labs glycinate. Aspartate is also not a bad choice. I seem to remember reading something that turned me off of orotates until more research is done. Possibly carcinogenic in certain instances? I'll have to try and dig that up.

domore

Awards
Dr. Houser has never mentioned it, but from a pure longevity/health standpoint, I would be inclined to add vitamin K2, mk-4 or mk-7, to this list.

Magnesium, I really like the Albion labs glycinate. Aspartate is also not a bad choice. I seem to remember reading something that turned me off of orotates until more research is done. Possibly carcinogenic in certain instances? I'll have to try and dig that up.
Hmm...Interesting. I would like to read that if you are able to find it because Dr. Houser advocates the use of creatine orotate and magnesium orotate.

oogaly_boogal

oogaly_boogal

Awards
  • Established

I'd have to agree here. I recall anything past 1g of arginine not being orally bioavailable, and that after that amount it simply became a laxative.

Dr. wants you ****ting the bed.

Callejul

Awards
I can't believe you coupled all of this... this is absolutely wonderful and I will add more to this as I've seen Dr houser active on other forums. Everyone on AM will learn from this..... thank you very much for putting this together!!!!

oogaly_boogal

oogaly_boogal

Awards
  • Established
Oh and in terms of sleep/gh production, wouldn't coupling P-5-P along with L-dopa and GABA benefit more? I know p-5-p + l-dopa creates dopamine which "can't pass the blood brain barrier" but in vivo it works rather well. From personal experience Levodopa alone is pretty damn useless.

domore

Awards
Okay. Here is Dr. Houser's logic for the 20 grams of arginine pre-bed.

"Sure thing...any study showing arginine had appreciable effects used ridiculously high amounts and if you want to invest in it pre-workout...so be it; but there are plenty of things to offer you more bang for your buck.

Well, Dr. Houser - what about growth hormone stimulus with arginine? Glad you asked.
The ability of oral arginine to raise growth hormone has been investigated in numerous studies with conflicting results. For example, in one study, subjects given 6 grams of oral arginine experienced a 100% increase in plasma levels of arginine without any growth hormone release. Other researchers administered oral arginine to 12 young and 5 elderly non-obese adults, all of whom had a body mass index (BMI) less than 30. The subjects participated in three trials: resistive weight-lifting exercise with no placebo; 5 grams of oral L-arginine only; and 5 grams of arginine supplementation prior to exercise.

Citation: Braverman ER, Pfeiffer CC. Arginine and citrulline in the healing nutrients within. Facts, Findings and New Research on Amino Acids. Keats Publishing. New Canaan, Connecticut, 1986, pg. 173.

When arginine was consumed at rest, it did not significantly raise GH levels, compared with baseline values, in either the young or the old subjects. In fact, GH levels in those consuming arginine at rest were significantly lower than during the exercise-only trial. Consuming arginine before exercise did not significantly raise the GH concentrations in either the old or the young subjects, compared to exercise only. Surprisingly, the amount of GH secreted in the exercise-plus-arginine trial was 20% less than during exercise only in the young subjects, indicating arginine may actually blunt growth hormone production, particularly in the young.

Citation: Marcell TJ, Taaffe DR, Hawkins SA, Tarpenning KM, Pyka G, et al. Oral arginine does not stimulate basal or augment exercise-induced GH secretion in either young or old adults. Journal of Gerontology. 1999;54A(8):M395-399.

Other researchers drew the same conclusion in a study of 16 young men during an acute episode of resistive weight lifting. After 3 grams of oral arginine and lysine, the subjects experienced a peak GH response to exercise approximately 15% lower than during exercise without supplementation. One group of researchers, after reviewing the evidence, wrote, These results suggest that oral arginine, unlike intravenously infused arginine, does not appear to be an effective means of enhancing GH secretion.

Citation: Surninski RR, Robertson RJ, Goss FL, et al. Acute effect of amino acid ingestion and resistance exercise on plasma growth hormone concentration in young men. Int J Sport Nutr. 1997;7:48-60.

Researchers suspect that arginine may only act as a growth hormone secretagogue at night, rather than prior to exercise or during non-exercise daytime conditions. When researchers administered 250 mg/kg/day of oral arginine aspartate to five healthy subjects aged 20 to 35 for seven days, the rise in GH that occurred during slow wave sleep was approximately 60% higher in the subjects after arginine aspartate administration than in the control period. These same results were not obtained with a lower dose of 100 mg/kg/day.

Citation: Besset A, Bonardet A, Rondouin G, Descomps B, Passouant P. Increase in sleep related GH and Prl secretion after chronic arginine aspartate administration in man. Acta Endocrinol (Copenh). 1982;99(1):18-23.

Another group of researchers achieved promising results when treating 12 normal adults with one large, 37.5-gram dose of arginine aspartate, administered orally. The treatment caused a small but significant release of serum growth hormone in these subjects.

Citation: Elsair C. Effets de l’arginine, administrie par voie orale. C R Soc Biol. 1985;179:608.

For further reading; you can go here...

http://jap.physiology.org/content/101/3/848.full

Now - this is NOT to dismiss combos (i.e. - arginine + ornithine -or- arginine + lysine), BUT lysine trials are very mixed and one could potentially suggest that ALL polyamines (i.e. - arginine, ornithine, citrulline, spermine, spermidine, agmatine, et al...) in certain combination could produce a "BETTER" effect than either one alone; it just hasn't been studied to my liking and if someone were to suggest contradictory info to that; I would fight them to the t as this is a topic I have looked at EXTENSIVELY!

Hope that helps explain my rationing of arginine pre-workout vs. bedtime vs. other..."

oogaly_boogal

oogaly_boogal

Awards
  • Established
but but.....the ****s...the violent ****s aren't fun

2skinny

2skinny

Awards
I experimented with Dr. D's 20g arginine pre bed recommendation for a little while. The stuff tastes horrible! LOL Had to chase it with some lemon juice drops. Nausea was a bit of an issue if I didn't go to bed right away. Never had issues with diarrea. Didn't stay with the dosing protocol long enough to report anything else.
I still have quite a bit of arginine sitting around. I will have to start it up again one day.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I experimented with Dr. D's 20g arginine pre bed recommendation for a little while. The stuff tastes horrible! LOL Had to chase it with some lemon juice drops. Nausea was a bit of an issue if I didn't go to bed right away. Never had issues with diarrea. Didn't stay with the dosing protocol long enough to report anything else.
I still have quite a bit of arginine sitting around. I will have to start it up again one day.
Why even bother? The rise in GH is meager at best and not nearly worth the hassle. Grab some GABA and enjoy the sleep benefits too, while elevating GH much higher than arginine.

domore

Awards
Why even bother? The rise in GH is meager at best and not nearly worth the hassle. Grab some GABA and enjoy the sleep benefits too, while elevating GH much higher than arginine.
Hey Coop,

When Dinoii posted this information, I didn't even want to think of trying to down 20g of arginine. However, the 2g of niacin is doable.

What do you think of that amount of niacin in a single dose? Side effects?

Here is one study that demonstrates its effect on growth hormone.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18187617

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Hey Coop,

When Dinoii posted this information, I didn't even want to think of trying to down 20g of arginine. However, the 2g of niacin is doable.

What do you think of that amount of niacin in a single dose? Side effects?

Here is one study that demonstrates its effect on growth hormone.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18187617
What are you trying to accomplish? For body composition purposes, niacin is an inhibitor of HSL and impedes fat loss briefly.

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
And melatonin shows a higher GH release without the nasty taste. I think a lot of what he is proposing is good assuming you have a pill case to have on you at all time but it is meant for an ideal world.

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What are you trying to accomplish? For body composition purposes, niacin is an inhibitor of HSL and impedes fat loss briefly.
And the flushing you are going to get from that much, even buffered niacin, will be horrible.

domore

Awards
And the flushing you are going to get from that much, even buffered niacin, will be horrible.
Well, it is a part of Dr. Houser's protocol from a growth hormone standpoint. I was curious if it is something to pursue. I think in a convo with you, Coop, Dr. Houser said that 2g of Niacin preworkout coupled with LCLT post-workout gives a pretty good bang for your buck.

domore

Awards
Here is another quote from Dinoii regarding Niacin.

"While niacin before sleep is an "ok" idea; I usually have clients "graduate" to high-order niacin therapy when they have been with me long enough...and that means EVERYONE! Misinterpretations of the AIM-HIGH trial aside, if you want a healthy body, if you want to have successful control of hormones; niacin is important. BUT, before sleep is only if you really can't take the 2-5 minute niacin flush.

Allow simple illustration with the following graph with GH:

http://healthcorrelator.blogspot.com...h-hormone.html

exercise-induced effect: niacin “turbocharges” the growth hormone response to anaerobic exercise!!!

Now, it also comes with copious other POSITIVES, but for those supplementing it at night, and those who don't essentially cry about a little flush (Christ, if you're using Beta-alanine and not niacin....SHAME on you!!). And I mean a "REAL" dose guys upwards of about 2 grams for those truly serious about maximizing hormonal response and health effects (namely isolated low HDL syndrome and Anabolic Steroid use)."