post-workout essentials?

dsohei

Awards
besides a fast acting protein, what are the post workout essentials? food, supps, timing, etc.
thanks guys

dsohei

Awards
And carbs.
what are good ratios to bodyweight for bcaas/leucine (i've heard we want leucine to be 25% of our daily amino acid pool, is that correct?) and carbs? mainly looking to help recovery/doms as much as humanly possible.

dinoiii

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
Well, I am obviously a supporter of the 25% thing; so if you read it here, you won't get me to change my mind (as you may have read in the BCAA Discussion thread).

In any event; even this thread (like your pre-workout essentials thread before it) has many variables to consider. Post-workout shouldn't end with a post-workout shake either. There's a lot to consider.

Plus, I remain unconvinced that staving off DOMS at all costs isn't even part of a fundamental issue of cytokine signaling in order to induce repair cascades; so be careful in modulation of this item (it may not be as necessary as supplement ads may get you to believe and possibly problematic).

D_

dsohei

Awards
Well, I am obviously a supporter of the 25% thing; so if you read it here, you won't get me to change my mind (as you may have read in the BCAA Discussion thread).

In any event; even this thread (like your pre-workout essentials thread before it) has many variables to consider. Post-workout shouldn't end with a post-workout shake either. There's a lot to consider.

Plus, I remain unconvinced that staving off DOMS at all costs isn't even part of a fundamental issue of cytokine signaling in order to induce repair cascades; so be careful in modulation of this item (it may not be as necessary as supplement ads may get you to believe and possibly problematic).

D_
so you are not an advocate of liquid mini-meals post workout? (mini being 30g of protein)
are you an advocate of waiting at least 30-60 mins post workout before eating anything? (i'm leaning towards this method as it will allow me to get home and prepare food)

i suppose i'm just looking to increase recovery, not necessarily stave off doms, but my body is a genetic wreck, and i am highly inflammed and prone to pain even when not training, just in everyday life. i eat extremely well, but i am allergic to many foods and have some kind of intestinal disease. i just need to make sure that training doesnt put so much of a stress on me that it downgrades my quality of life, and in the past "doms" has done this.

Applejackd

Awards
If you take any "recovery product" with a free-form nature immediately after a workout, it'll be converted to glucose due to PEOC (post exercise oxygen consumption). Therefore... timing it right after is not a scholar idea. (that's my 2% on 15% of your question lol)

Riskyb

Awards
After 45 min into workout I take BCAAs with 30g waxy maize. Then 30 min later post workout shake another 30 of waxy maize n 50g whey isolate. And whatever else you want to throw in there, (vitamins, creatine, ph's, etc etc).
After 45 min into workout you're pretty depleted... So to spare muscle really I do intraworkout shake.