Heart Health discussion

Younglifter16

Awards
I was wondering if you could elaborate your thoughts on heart health Dr. Houser. We see popular discussions of people wanting the best fat burners, gda's, muscle builders, etc, but I feel people overlook a big part of their health. Outside of the two major recommended ones, COQ10 and fish oil, what in your practice/research/opinion do you feel contributes to a safer more effecient heart (cardio/training aside)?

I recently implemented COP. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it has antiarrhythmic effects and can reduce PVC's. I get a few extra beats quite often, even on EKG's, doc said its normal and that I'm in no harm. Just for heart health alone I will continue to take COP, regardless of whether it does indeed have ergogenic benefits or not.

curious to hear your thoughts.

dinoiii

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
Seeing how "Top x" lists have done well on this forum, I present to you my top 12 or Dirty Dozen...

THE DIRTY DOZEN for as per Dr. Houser for HEART HEALTH

I am actually asked this consistently…what items would I recommend for heart health and maybe you’d be surprised but, this is the next biggest question I get behind: 1. Fat Loss, 2. Muscle Gain, 3. Size and Strength. It’s fair and while the top 3 aren’t necessarily “heart” health by design; all of the above do contribute to a better heart “shelf-life” and act as a foundation to the heart healthstyle (diet/exercise). But, if you were to ask me what nutrients I get my patients and/or clients on interested in heart health; the list is usually the same and in this order…

Usually patients are started on items 1-3 simultaneously (and usually alongside a baby aspirin…but look down to Natto K to see some important aspirin discussion).

1. FISH OIL - OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS

Fish Oil contains the highest amount of Omega-3 Fatty Acids... and Omega-3 fatty acids benefit the heart of healthy people, and those at high risk of — or who have — cardiovascular disease. Research has shown that omega-3 fatty acids decrease risk of arrhythmias (abnormal heartbeats), which can lead to sudden death. Omega-3 fatty acids also decrease triglyceride levels, slow growth rate of atherosclerotic plaque, and lower blood pressure.

2. COENZYME Q10 (CoQ10)

The beneficial effect of CoQ10 in the prevention and treatment of heart disease is due to its ability to improve energy production in cells, inhibit blood clot formation, and act as an antioxidant. Multiple studies have found that people who received daily CoQ10 supplements within 3 days of a heart attack were significantly less likely to experience subsequent heart attacks and chest pain. In addition, these same patients were less likely to die of heart disease than those who did not receive the supplements.

3. NIACIN

A recent study shows vitamin B3, also known as niacin, lowers bad cholesterol more effectively than a common statin drug, ezetimibe, sold as Zetia. Statins inhibit the absorption of cholesterol from the intestine, which then reduces the amount of LDL (bad cholesterol) in the blood stream. Since high cholesterol has been linked to cardiovascular disease, lowering LDL levels has been widely adopted as good preventive medicine.

4. VITAMIN D

A growing body of evidence suggests that vitamin D deficiency increases the risk of heart disease and is linked to other, well-known heart disease risk factors such as high blood pressure, obesity, and diabetes. Several large studies have shown that people with low vitamin D levels were twice as likely to have a heart attack, stroke, or other heart-related event during follow-up, compared with those with higher vitamin D levels.

5. MAGNESIUM (OROTATE)

Large studies have linked magnesium deficiency to high blood pressure, while some have shown an association between magnesium supplements and a decreased risk of death from heart disease. A higher intake of magnesium may reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes and adults with diabetes are two to four times more likely to have heart disease or a stroke than adults without diabetes. Now, due to bioavailability, my preference is magnesium orotate; although one must take into account orotic acid is a large molecule and reduces the amount of elemental magnesium present in the product (but with higher bioavailability, this isn’t necessarily a bad thing).

6. GARLIC

Scientists have studied garlic fairly extensively as it relates to the treatment of hypertension and hyperlipidemia and it seems to be effective in lowering blood pressure and cholesterol in individuals who take it on a regular basis. The active component of garlic is an amino acid called alliin which is further converted to allicin and other active metabolites.

7. NATTO K

Atherosclerosis, or hardening of the arteries, occurs when the normal lining of the arteries thickens, and deposits of fat and plaque build, causing narrowing (or even blockage) of the arteries. An enzyme in natto, dubbed nattokinase, binds to fibrin and breaks it down. It helps to improve blood viscosity and reduce blood clots by enhancing the fibrinolytic properties of the blood.

·
Please note that this is sort of a good combo agent with a baby aspirin (81mg) which is also something hoisted into most people’s armamentarium of heart health agents. Keeping in mind not to dose this agent 2 hours before OR after the workout as it imparts a negative effect on very important inflammatory cytokines important in the healing process of muscles.

8. HAWTHORN BERRY

Hawthorn has a relaxing effect on the arteries, in turn improving circulation that facilitates healthy blood pressure.
Hawthorn has been shown to enhance the flow of blood through the heart while helping the heart beat tone up (inotropic effect). In fact, hawthorn was found to be far friendlier and more energy efficient as it helps the heart muscle contract to produce an effective beat, compared to drugs that seek to do the same thing.

9. PROPIONYL-L-CARNITINE (PLC)

Possibly best grouped in mitochondrial optimizers; PLC is a particular carnitine salt which has predilection for cardiac tissue driving fatty acid metabolism; fatty acids being the primary fuel for the heart – check out acute fatty acid ingestion and heart attack (myocardial infarction)…far too long, the medical profession has gotten the whole “low-fat” diet WRONG, at least in terms of the heart.

10. D-RIBOSE

Possibly the only sugar I would EVER suggest from a supplemental source (I think sugars are cheap and should ultimately be consumed in the form of FOOD).

11. CREATNOL-O-PHOSPHATE (COP)

With continued data, this may move up the list; it has absolutely amazing properties and we have discussed them in a complete thread devoted to COP on this forum.

12. ACES + B Complex protocol

Coming in at the 12[SUP]th[/SUP] spot is not merely a blend of antioxidants but a very particular conglomerate that has gained wide acceptance into my practice and research and one that most who have read my stuff over the years will recognize…the combination of vitamins A, C, E and the mineral selenium. I don’t merely play wishful thinking in support of a multi-vitamin, however…for many reasons. The biggest and probably best-known reason is that multis use the cheapest form of most items to offer cost-efficiency. I also don’t care for the fact that these items are put together in a tablet (hate em and feel most don’t dissolve due to the level of binder necessary to get so many nutrients crammed into singular pills). As such, I recommend capsules and/or gel caps of the following items.

(A) – Mixed Carotenoids

(C) – Vitamin C: important notes are not to consume more than 500mg at a single sitting throughout the day as greater than that number has proven to turn pro-oxidative. You can usually get away with orthomolecular dosing still in using a 500mg cap of ascorbic acid with each meal (6 meals and you have already dosed 3 grams).

(E) – Mixed Isomer Vitamin E: if you are not ingesting an 8-isomer natural non-synthetic vitamin E, then it is my opinion that you are wasting your time in terms of anti-oxidant prowess. The 8 isomers to concern yourself with are alpha, beta, delta, gamma – tocopherol and tocotrienols.

(S) – Selenium; in the form of selenomethionine, keeping in mind that B vitamins should also be consumed with this agent as an adjunct and for many reasons.

(B Complex) – in the active co-factor forms. This is probably the single-most important thing forgotten in terms of low-carb dieters unfortunately and the highest level rationale why low-carb dieters are still being considered a higher risk category for cardiovascular disease.

D_

Younglifter16

Awards
Thanks for the list, I implement the majority of those supplements as staples. Might pick up Hawthorne berry and see if it decreases some of these benign PVC's. I think tocotrienols are awesome and possibly provide hair re-growth as far as MPB is concerned.

two quick questions, why selenomethionine over selenium yeast, and what dose of COP do you think is ideal for its heart protective properties (Im using 2 grams of it ATM)?

zaire2d

Awards
this Niacin could be Niacin Flush Free? or it's better take Nicotinic Acid or NAD?

Younglifter16

Awards
I answered my own 2 questions by finding some old posts of yours. I am however curious about the two posts above me. I heard flush free niacin is bad on the liver.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
COP?

I recently implemented COP. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it has antiarrhythmic effects and can reduce PVC's. I get a few extra beats quite often, even on EKG's, doc said its normal and that I'm in no harm. Just for heart health alone I will continue to take COP, regardless of whether it does indeed have ergogenic benefits or not.

curious to hear your thoughts.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
thx ;)

bill86

bill86

Awards
  • Established
in a previous post, you recommended olive leaf extract at 500mg 2 x a day to help lower blood pressure.. my question is.. i bought the NOW brand thats 6% oleuropein, but just read that i need to be taking something thats 20% at 1g a day. should i just take 1g daily of the 6% NOW brand, or should i be taking more since its standardized to a much lower percentage than what i read was the recommended dose?

thanks!

dinoiii

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
Any opinion on Iforces heart health?
I don't know if anyone outside of Novelle has really done research on Bergamonte to be honest with you and frankly the suggested cholesterol changes are suggested far too wide for my liking.

Look at the following:
Tot Chol: 12-48%
LDL: 20-59%
Triglycerides: 30-55%
HDL: 7-83% (Really)

Every other cholesterol-modifying agent has much tighter and predictable modifications. This seems slightly better than mere CHANCE and the numbers are from their own white paper. It's almost as though they are covering themselves by saying...we had 1 person get an 80+% raise in HDL, but x-hundred others had a 7%. If not, then put the average out or this is sloppy until proven otherwise.

Niacin has a much more predictable movement pattern (and reputation) and the combo of Pantethine + HMB is MUCH more effective in reduction of LDL (should that be your primary issue). This just seems like it is trying to be "Novel" - hence the company name and nothing more. I remain unimpressed.

D_

dinoiii

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
this Niacin could be Niacin Flush Free? or it's better take Nicotinic Acid or NAD?
In short, this is one modification I have made to previous recommendations and that is...NO FLUSH FREE.

I usually recommend either Niaspan (pharmaceutic) - OR - Enduracin (available by website)...period (you can't get an efficacious dose outside of that in a reasonable amount and at a reasonable cost). If you have to go higher than 2 grams, I wouldn't do so without the guidance of a trained practitioner, however (which allows for an overdose cushion).

D_

dinoiii

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
in a previous post, you recommended olive leaf extract at 500mg 2 x a day to help lower blood pressure.. my question is.. i bought the NOW brand thats 6% oleuropein, but just read that i need to be taking something thats 20% at 1g a day. should i just take 1g daily of the 6% NOW brand, or should i be taking more since its standardized to a much lower percentage than what i read was the recommended dose?

thanks!
This may come down to personal preference and what you are willing to do. I am unaware of a well-established dose-response curve for this so I don't know if you could get a reasonable effect at a lower dose, BUT - you could merely try this and move upward in dosing as able and/or as needed.

I am much bigger on CoQ10 in all things BP these days, so if I didn't recommend that in whatever post we previously spoke; I'd say to persue a minimum of 200mg/day of this before adding anything else to your regimen anyway.

D_

Younglifter16

Awards
If you can actually get a good quality version, which seems to be impossible these days.

D_
Primaforce makes a pretty solid one, as does PA. Both passed the "bubbling" test that PA put foward or whatever, while a few brands failed too.

Quick question, on another side of heart health (heart beat/arrhythmia's). DO you reccomend anything in your practice to reduce (benign) PVC's? I read that magnesium seems to be a good idea, and that hawthorn berry also reduces the incidences of them. They're a tad bit annoying (though harmless), I would like to reduce the amount of them if possible. I don't use any stimulants except a pre workout here and there on the lightside. I also think the COP I been taking has been reducing them out too.

In short, this is one modification I have made to previous recommendations and that is...NO FLUSH FREE.

Enduracin (available by website)...period (you can't get an efficacious dose outside of that in a reasonable amount and at a reasonable cost). If you have to go higher than 2 grams, I wouldn't do so without the guidance of a trained practitioner, however (which allows for an overdose cushion).

D_
enduracin is extended release too (and very costly). It's so damn hard to find just plain niacin, no extended release or flush free formulas. I finally found some by NOW.

bill86

bill86

Awards
  • Established
This may come down to personal preference and what you are willing to do. I am unaware of a well-established dose-response curve for this so I don't know if you could get a reasonable effect at a lower dose, BUT - you could merely try this and move upward in dosing as able and/or as needed.

I am much bigger on CoQ10 in all things BP these days, so if I didn't recommend that in whatever post we previously spoke; I'd say to persue a minimum of 200mg/day of this before adding anything else to your regimen anyway.

D_
thanks a lot for your help. im currently doing 1,500 mg of the OLE and i WAS at 200mg ubiquinol, but lowered it to just 100mg because from my research it seemed that somebody my age doesn't really need much and i wouldn't see many benefits from it. however, if you recommend 200mg, ill go back to that, i just thought it may be a waste.

ive got enough OLE to last me a while, and may even try 2mg a day since its only 6% as opposed to the minimal 12% ive been seeing. so i may focus on buying more ubiquinol to hit at least 200mg a day. plus, ive got some taurine and agmatine i may throw in later on just to test them out.

thanks for your help!

ps - any thoughts on turmeric? ive heard it can be really helpful for BP